2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 97 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What ? No ! Somebody tells them to keep it ! (Not a fan of Scott being all bedazzled - Wish he stayed just all black - but Tessa's dress is amazing).

I prefer Tessa's original FD dress an I do like Scott in black over the grey outfit. But it is all moot - they won't win OGM; the judges are behind PC I will be curious to see what changes V and M do. Maybe they will tighten up the lifts and tricks - make them crisper?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Well I agree P/C have the Gold locked up. I don't think the deserve it but they will get it. V and M should have far higher pcs than P/C. Watch Gabby - she is good but not at the level of Guillaume. Moreover, I love P/C freedance but if we are fair even if we like the music/programme better it doesn't mean it shouldscore more than V and M. V and M;s program is better constructed and while we can't give them marks for versatility compared to the French they deserve top marks for all categories. It is analogous to some hate say country music. But if it is done well it deserves top marks. yes PC have a flowy program but virtue and Moir are probably more artistic and professional or polished in respect to their program - they really have pushed the program. But it is pointless because you can tell the judges want to give gold to the French. There is nothing V and M can do - it is kind of like the last olympics we new Davis and White would win no matter what. if the judges wanted too V and M could win on pcs. I hope this gets posted; there were so m any people on GS I kept on getting kicked out. Olympics tends to bring out all the armchair Olympic fans lol. The ones who only poke their head out every four years lol haha haha.

You can't compare versatility... P/C are in their 1st Olympic quad, V/M are in their 3rd. And it's still not a given, you have to come out and be spot on anyway.

By the way, take every element and compare them, and tell me why you think P/C should not be ahead because they litteraly are cleaner... everywhere. I wonder if people watch the feet sometimes. (Why do some think it's a diss to V/M ?) They are, and you are scored on that. And we don't know how it's going to score next week.

V/M are amazing, and they'll go into the GOATs. BUt that does not mean that they do everything better than everyone. That's the reason Shibs are actually scoring more on some elemnts too. Or that Chock/Bates will often have maximum point for lifts. The skating part actually counts.

readernick

Medalist
You can't compare versatility... P/C are in their 1st Olympic quad, V/M are in their 3rd. And it's still not a given, you have to come out and be spot on anyway.

By the way, take every element and compare them, and tell me why you think P/C should not be ahead because they litteraly are cleaner... everywhere. I wonder if people watch the feet sometimes. (Why do some think it's a diss to V/M ?) They are, and you are scored on that. And we don't know how it's going to score next week.

V/M are amazing, and they'll go into the GOATs. BUt that does not mean that they do everything better than everyone. That's the reason Shibs are actually scoring more on some elemnts too. Or that Chock/Bates will often have maximum point for lifts. The skating part actually counts.

This argument will never be won or lost because it is quite subjective in the end. Both teams are amazing. Who is best varies on each night. I just hope that whoever skates best on the night wins. But, it is unlikely to happen that way because many judges have a preconcieved notion of who will win before the skaters even begin.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I loathe overhead cams. They are always, always a terrible distraction, leaving you looking at pinheads from above when you're trying to watch skating. I noticed a number of the camera angles managed to miss some of the best dramatic moments in V/M's FD — the side angle of the twizzles with the dramatic stop in Roxanne, for example, instead of the proper head-on view. The terrible shot that left their last lift almost invisible (thanks overhead cam) and that's just off the top of my head.

ITA - too bad that at the Olympics we have to see such abysmal camera work, terrible, often too low or too high camera angles - it somewhat spoils watching this beautiful sport. :disapp:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I was absolutely delighted that Nagasu actually managed to get second place! Apart from that, Kostner was here with her usual free skate performance... I'm sure Zagitova's very thankful to her for these PCS scores. Looks like me saying that Satoko should have skated the FS instead was on the money considering Kaori was last. But then again, I don't think she should have. Good thing Kostner managed to only get one place higher than she deserved.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
What ? No ! Somebody tells them to keep it ! (Not a fan of Scott being all bedazzled - Wish he stayed just all black - but Tessa's dress is amazing).

Wanna bet? Tessa will wear her red mesh dress and Scott his black costume with the mesh cutouts in IE. (See Sochi for their different team and IE.) just saying but could be wrong ....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
GS died for me so my late reaction to this is:

Alina's PCS? Ahahahahahahahaha.

That's all.

My friend said GS kept on crashing because every four years you get the looky loos - the Oly fan - not often seen except for I guess every four years (kind of like the hockey fans who show up in playoffs) who bombard the Forum and it goes down. LOL I suppose I get to see a lot of different posters this way that we usually don't hear from.

The Shibsibs too me looked beatable for bronze. I actually kind of like B/S if they could polish their performances. I think The Shibsibs used Coldplay once too often. Mind you with the rules l ike P/C you can keep the same style and still win or score highly.

Yay to our new Evan L with Adam Rippon. Not quite the skating skills of Jeffrey Buttle so he reminds me of Evan without the quads. I wonder if he can fully rotate the quad lutz he should throw it in just for the points even with the fall. Its worth more than a big triple still and no zayaking.

Alina's PCS seem too high; Mirai sadly doesn't really connect to her music and the jumps seem to be the focus; she doesn't have the transitions. I actually findKostner stalking her jumps somewhat or perhaps the word is telegraphing them. I was impressed with the power of Gabby and Mirai. I sense Gabby and Mirai were disappointed with their scores.

Looks like the USA is passing Canada's ladies with Bradie and Mirai (and Karen too). But it may be pointless as CArolina seems to have reserved the bronze for her.

Good move for Kostner with the dress but what the heck it has to do with her program I have no idea.

The men were sad but Patrick deserved to win. I might have had Adam second but he doesn't have the edges or skill of Chan. Chan what the heck clean up those jumps and get the triple axel pronto. Show off that program!!!! The world deserves it if you don't. in fact both programs!!!!

Not sure about the strategies of some countries.

Japan could have had a chance for bronze with Uno skating both. Russia should never used a third rate pair team to go for OGM. Not impressed or happy about China and France not putting out their best - I know it is strategy for the individual events. It would be sweet justice or fate if it doesn't pay off. (Sorry It is not that I dislike these teams skaters but I wanted to see them skate :) I know they are thinking of themselves first. Good for S/M to do the short.

If Alina continues like this she will be OGM. But the judges are holding back the next level of ladies. Mirai, Gabby, Kaori - interesting. That bronze medal really seems reserved for Carolina with a slim chance for Osmond. Though one would think Satoko might have a better shot but for her jumps sometimes being UR and kind of smallish making ehr skating look small.

Trewyn

Medalist
I cannot wake up at 2am on a work day, but I did wake up earlier to watch men & ladies before work.

Um.
How how HOW did Kolyada end up ahead of Rippon?????

I’m not a fan of the Dutch commentators but they were also so annoyed at the PCS judging - especially Rippons’s low PCS.

Standings in the Ladies event were accurate, though Zagitova’s PCS were ridiculous.

Congrats Mirai Nagasu and Adam Rippon & thank you for creating such beautiful Olympic moments for me to enjoy.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few thoughts on all sorts of things:

What a thrilling personal triumph for Mirai. Yeah, I'm glad she got a medal, but more than that - this is the NEW defining moment for her. Forget 2014, forget the nay-sayers and doubters - and there were years that definitely included me. This was HER moment.

Not a big Adam fan, but he skated well, and I am perplexed that he did not beat Kolyada.

I'm wondering if the judges held the Shibs back a little. Of course, I don't understand levels enough to be specific, but I got a vibe that room was being left for a different US team to take the bronze in dance.

I haven't examined the protocols, but I wonder if this was the same panel, and if they were as strict as they were in the SP's. To my eye, there were a few UR's - and I wonder if they were called.

Ordinarily, I don't mind really high PCS for Kostner, but in this case, I think she was overscored here. I thought she looked very timid throughout. That performance lacked the freedom she normally displays, so it was, IMO, a bit of reputation scoring there.

This was the first time I've really enjoyed Zagitova. Part of that is because I pretty much quit following ladies skating closely over the past couple of years- but part of it was because I really thought she was charming in a way I had not seen before.

If Mirai skates well in the SP, including the 3A... I wonder if there's a program option to include 2 3A's in the LP. She skated really well, but I'm not sure the score will be enough. She's got a medal now, and I think she should go for broke if the circumstances are correct.

Macassar88

Medalist
I loathe overhead cams. They are always, always a terrible distraction, leaving you looking at pinheads from above when you're trying to watch skating. I noticed a number of the camera angles managed to miss some of the best dramatic moments in V/M's FD — the side angle of the twizzles with the dramatic stop in Roxanne, for example, instead of the proper head-on view. The terrible shot that left their last lift almost invisible (thanks overhead cam) and that's just off the top of my head.

Also all the spins where you can't see the positions... It was difficult at times to see the jump edges as well because of those angles. Pity because the skating itself has been spectacular

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm wondering if the judges held the Shibs back a little. Of course, I don't understand levels enough to be specific, but I got a vibe that room was being left for a different US team to take the bronze in dance.

No. They got the same levels as V/M and B/S today. They actually beat B/S on +GOE. 112 with this panel is solid. Not to mention that on several elements they earned the highest.

And for everyone's bellyaching about them using Coldplay, if you look on Twitter people are EXCITED that they are doing Coldplay. The Shibs' premonition that casual fans/the masses would appreciate the selection turned out to be on-point. Not to mention the audience was ON BOARD. You think they were at Skate America, not the freaking Olympics in South Korea.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I can´t believe that last season, I did not know that Bradie existed, and now she is Olympic medalist :eek:

schizoanalyst

Medalist
If Mirai skates well in the SP, including the 3A... I wonder if there's a program option to include 2 3A's in the LP. She skated really well, but I'm not sure the score will be enough. She's got a medal now, and I think she should go for broke if the circumstances are correct.

I don't think she has the control of her axel enough to add a combo. She did her best 3A ever here, and it was still unclear if she could combo it.
If she did hit it, it would probably cause her other jumps to suffer so would probably be a wash or possibly a negative. Also, it takes her an *enormous* amount of time to set up the 3A. I don't think she has enough time to set up the second axel in the current program. Plus, the jump you'd probably want to remove is the 2A rather than another triple, but a 3A+2T is worth only 2.2 more than a 2A+3T. Like I said, the exhaustion and time factor could easily wipe out that 2.2 advantage in the other GOE and PCS categories. If she could add a second 3-3 it might be worth it, but asking Mirari to do two 3-3s and a 3A+2T+2T and 3A seems like *a lot*.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
And for everyone's bellyaching about them using Coldplay, if you look on Twitter people are EXCITED that they are doing Coldplay. The Shibs' premonition that casual fans/the masses would appreciate the selection turned out to be on-point. Not to mention the audience was ON BOARD. You think they were at Skate America, not the freaking Olympics in South Korea.

I guess we must have very different Twitter experiences. Most of my followers and my follows thought it was good in spite of Coldplay. I probably spend too much time on Irony Twitter tho lol.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm still bitter about Pechalat/Bourzat in 2014.
They should have won worlds, not Cappellini/Lanotte.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get over how badly P/B were screwed over by the ISU...

Mmm I say nope and I loved Pechalat / Bourzat more than Cappellini / Lanotte. P/B had really messy SD (actually I remember thinking that the score was still on this generous side for that) while Anna & Luca were steady throughout both dances and lucky (the difference in points between 1-3 placements overall was such). But I can agree with you that P/B were screwed over in Sochi for example.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They just showed Patrick’s FS again on NBC!! I’m so happy for him. Glad he finally got that well deserved medal :yay:

Honestly I’m enjoying the Figure Skating a lot and have seen some great performances but the way some of y’all can grumble on about the same thing from event to event has me kind of ignoring these threads.

My favorite moment of today was from snowboarding. When an American girl won a gold medal (I’ll leave the names out for spoiler purposes) and a Canadian athlete ran out to hug and congratulate her! That’s the spirit I’m talking about. Medals matter but the heart of the games is coming together and celebrating each other’s achievements.

Marai’s 3a was pretty bomb though and seeing so many ladies deliver so well in the team event has been really inspiring. I watched with a group of experienced skaters and some casual fans but the overall consensus was a sense of pride and awe with how far the sport has come all across the board. So many people can deliver the goods and heat things up :hap85:

Anyone else really enjoy the team event as much as I did?

Lenny318

On the Ice
Some questionable judging choices aside I'm very happy with how the team event turned out overall and am thrilled for all the medalists!

So proud of Mirai and Adam! The Shibs were lovely as usual. However, now I'm kinda low key hoping Hubbell and Donohue sneak in to get that bronze medal in dance to make up for being left off the team event.

Artistry

On the Ice
New system is as bad as 6.0, now it’s less accurate on artistic side. No way would Kolyada w his falls be ahead of an artistically superb Rippon.