2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 99 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

Artistry

On the Ice
They still need to tweak the system. People falling on difficult jumps should overtake those that land cleaner and have amazing performances.

Also, not a fan of Mirai but if she is 3rd woman to land triple axel in comp and is stillway below leader without one, something is wrong.

Finally, she needs to switch her coach. That guy always has wooden skaters. How bout she give Zueva a try?

Spinning

On the Ice
Jamie Anderson ;)

Yeah...I’ve heard stories too. Not only on my trips to the mountains but my friends wife has worked with the US Ladies team for many years. Mostly good stuff though. It helps that they can survive in the sport without the competitions arguably much easier than skaters who need Olympic medals far more.

The US FS team is pretty closed and supportive too. I don't see the point of idolize one sport to batching the others.

Some stories from snowboarding competitions are hair raising. You can't pick just nice stories to support your arguments. Anyway...I like the X games too so I don't see the point of this argument. I'm out....

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US FS team is pretty closed and supportive too. I don't see the point of idolize one sport to batching the others.

I just said it was my favorite moment of the day. You’re trying to make it into something I didn’t intend it as. It’s the grumbly fans that I find annoying about Figure Skating not the athletes. I thought the skaters all looked like they enjoyed themselves in the team event. Maybe I wasn’t clear...it’s been a long day and it’s really late here. :)

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
There's no need to bicker. Support your favorites and let others do the same. We all love this sport and should celebrate this event that happens once every 4 years. Several of these skaters will retire soon and this is their last chance to skate well on Olympic Ice. It's the Moment, not the Medal that they have dreamed about. If they skate their best, it will create a lasting memory for us all. Remember Mirai's 2010 LP? No Medal, great moment.

My favorite post from tonight.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Dutch public TV doing a recap right now, with the usual commentator, Hans van Zetten. He always cracks me up, because his pronounciation of names is *extremely* Dutch. So Gabrielle Daleman is DAH-luh-mahn (like in the word 'drama'), and then of course he goes on to say she probably has Dutch roots. I guess that's as close as we're gonna get to figure skating these Olympics. :laugh:
I'm glad they showed her program. I was too sleepy to really pay attention to it, but it is definitely one of my faves, and I also completely missed Brian Orser at the boards.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, but the short program here was almost two points higher than her Skate America short program. So, I think her long would likely have increased too by 3 or 4 points. Hence my guess, she could have gotten around 140. Honestly, while Bradie is not an exciting performer. She has transitions and that seems to be the main mark that judges use to decide PCS. Just like the other posters here... so happy for Mirai. Just sad for the dance teams, who unlike Bradie and Mirai are all truly top 5 in the world and , thus, in my opinion more deserving of this medal.

Well remember USA tends to get fourth in ladies so Mirai or Bradie have a good shot at that. But I hear you. C/B or H/D deserved a medal perhaps more than Rippon or Nagasu or Tennell. Life isn't fair. The Shibsibs were lucky they got pick it could have been Hubbell and Donahoe who won the national title.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Frankly I'd be happier if they got rid of the Team event entirely and replaced with it Synchronized Skating.

Then again I always was a big fan of Busby Berkeley, and SS is BB on ice!

One day...
One of the issues is the extra costs. Synchro skating or precision or whatever is expensive - a lot moreathletes etc. That's why it is not in the olympics in part.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Weird that 21 points gap between Zagitova and Nagasu.
So Nagasu is the third woman to land a 3A at olympics after Ito and Asada, and the second to land 8 triples after Asada! Great achievments!

Mirai Nagasu is the first senior lady to have 8 ratified triple jumps in the free skate at ANY international competition ever. She did it first at Japan Open (but it was not an ISU event) and now at the Olympics, with all positive GOEs. Let that sink in. :bow:

Crystal7

Final Flight
I have been sleeping during that event, I was so tired... But I watched the videos - thank you so much!
1. Keiji, so sad, that he popped these jumps and fall... Hope, he'll fix it in the individuals.
2. Patrick. That was so beautiful, amazing... And his reaction for his score moved me so much. I'm his fan. His skating is emotional and has that special 'something'. I had an impression during that season, that he is sad about his scores, himself and his artistry started to come unnoticed because of these quads everywhere. And finally, he was smiling, he was so happy, that I had tears in my eyes. Hard to explain it, but I really can feel his skating, his emotions... Patrick, you are an amazing skater and your joy is beautiful.
3. Kaori - I love this music! :) And I really like that program except that weird 'doll' part. Hey, that's not Pinochio! :D But the rest is great. And I really like her attitude change. She became more focused, less over-enthusiastic :p
4. Alina - amazing as always. She is so talented... I am always stressed about her, how she handles that pressure. I am so happy, that she did so well. She is working so hard. Really beautiful!
5. Tessa and Scott - amazing. Really amazing.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Weird that 21 points gap between Zagitova and Nagasu.
So Nagasu is the third woman to land a 3A at olympics after Ito and Asada, and the second to land 8 triples after Asada! Great achievments!

Actually, Mirai is the third, because Rika Kihira landed 8 rotated triples on the JGP last season. But like largeman said, Mirai is the first senior lady to do have 8 triples all ratified. :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Actually, Mirai is the third, because Rika Kihira landed 8 rotated triples on the JGP last season. But like largeman said, Mirai is the first senior lady to do have 8 triples all ratified. :)

I mean at olympics.
Yes Rika was the 2nd in history and the first junior.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Very happy for Mirai!
Caro did well, I expected a more shaky skate after Euros.

Alina... this performance didn't have the energy of Euros (understandably) but the first half is just... she does step sequences but with no commitment whatsoever to the movement, so even if people here were outraged about Canadian commentators calling Russian girls mice, I think Alina's first half did at times it did look like a mouse busily going from here to there to there. No sweeping movement, no presence, no meaning to anything. The judges need to bring her PCS back to earth.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Very happy for Mirai!
Caro did well, I expected a more shaky skate after Euros.

Alina... this performance didn't have the energy of Euros (understandably) but the first half is just... she does step sequences but with no commitment whatsoever to the movement, so even if people here were outraged about Canadian commentators calling Russian girls mice, I think Alina's first half did at times it did look like a mouse busily going from here to there to there. No sweeping movement, no presence, no meaning to anything. The judges need to bring her PCS back to earth.

Those judges whu put Mirai the lowest PCS amongst all and two points lower than second last? Wanna look to the eyes of that people...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I love Adam but where would his extra points come from? Unless the argument is that Patrick and Mikhail should have been scored lower? I think the judges gave Adam about as much PCS as they can. I love him and his spins are much improved but his skating skills, transitions, and composition of his programs (as in how much ice he covers, multi-directional skating, etc) are all below the other two. Yes, I preferred the overall performance but looking down at the blade there's not much I can complain about. :confused2:

Yes, I agree totally!!!

I think the men´s judging was pretty good, would have given Kolyada a bit less PCS though. Really loved Rizzo´s performance!!!
Have not watched the ladies yet, but it seems rather unlikely to me that in this fs competition Nagasu managed to skate without any UR´s....

readernick

Medalist
Those judges whu put Mirai the lowest PCS amongst all and two points lower than second last? Wanna look to the eyes of that people...

I mean. I love Mirai and she has pretty good basic skating skills and since she landed all her jumps well and that was exciting her PE mark could be higher,maybe? But, what other categories do you think she actually deserves a higher score in?
Transitions ???
Interpretation of Music???
Choreography??
I don't see how higher PCS is warranted in any of these categories. She doesn't have a program.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

100% agree wth the judges, in fact i kinda laughed at people that praised Mirai but then criticize Zagitova: we can complain that her angular skating doesn't fit a classical piece like Don Quixote, or the fact that she is still a little rushing the steps sequence but she does have features in the steps sequence like the one foot sections, twizzles into the illusion,...

Mirai is way worse than her, by a long shot and she was definitely the worst here on the presentation.

You can clearly see that Tom Z did what Mishin used to do here, ditch every complexity in the choreography and the steps sequence in order to focus only on jumps, and not even transitions, so that's why those elements don't even receive high marks.

I've no complain on that regard, for me a 3a in ladies is still very exciting to see and a fantastic achievement for the skater (i hope this will be a trend going forward), but we can't be all about the skating skills and interpretation when we talk about Alina and then magically forget that Mirai has no artistry.

Judge n.1 gave her 9.25 on skating skills which is a little generous.

I actually agree with the PCS. She is quite wooden in her skating and has been for years.

With Frank Carroll she used to be better than this.