Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 214 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
I do wonder if they'll make changes in coaching arrangements after this season. Obviously a high-stakes competition like the Olympics carries consequences for the relationship between students and coaches, especially considering the difficult balancing acts involved at that rink. If P/C and Romain feel even the tiniest awkwardness regarding training there, I think they'll make a move. They can afford to do that. (Of course, the non-skating training team seems very important to them too. Not sure if that is easily replicable.)
If V/M retire, I strongly doubt that there will be any reason for them to change.
I don't know how they feel, they may be a lot more spiritual than I am, but I still have a very hard time to digest what happened. But that doesn't help, it is what it is, and they have to move on. It's their life, and they are so extremely talented that even without this gold they can still beat every record in ice dance. There's brilliant stuff for them to do and explore, and Gadbois has been really a miracle for them. Yes, the costume malfunction is something that should make everybody in that team think, and yes, if V/M hadn't been there, probably there would have been more attention on it to avoid it from happening at the Olympics. (On the other hand, if V/M hadn't been there they would have had gold even with all that misery...)

Anyway, if V/M retire, the situation will be different. They get along famously with Madison and Zach and most probably with a lot of the other Gadbois skaters, so I don't think that kind of tension situation will develop among the present teams. You never know what happens in the future, but at the moment, it seems like a very stupid move if they would change coaches. Especially, as you mention, with their present super off-ice team. But I think that their relationship with MF/P is also stronger than the dress disaster.

I apologize for not mentioning Icetigger in the post you quoted. They were the one who pointed out (before Alain) that this hickup was really avoidable and amateurish. Sorry, Icetigger! I edited the post but should have remembered that when I wrote it.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Anecdotally, a friend who's a former professional dancer asked me after seeing P/C on the ice for a minute, "Are they together?"
My skating friend - and probably a lot of people here too - feels that the absence of a sexual side to their relationship is probably what makes them so special, what makes their love and bond so pure and so deep and so high.
I'm not yet so high up on the spiritual ladder, but I'll get there one day! :eek::

If you want to have a laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UNvzfiyFOU :laugh:
(I'm ridiculously ignorant, so who is Guillaume's stand-in?)

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Do you know if they ship internationally?

Yes, apparently they do.

About changing coaching team, I wouldn't know where they could go frankly. They have a fantastic training ground in a francophone city probably making them feel the closest to home while being far away, where they famously get along with all their training mates and have an efficient off ice coaching team. I can't see them getting along with Carol Lane tbh, it might just be me reading too many subtexts in Miss Lane's commentaries on CBC. Zoueva, no way. Then the only interesting US ground could be the same as James/Cipres to work with Zimmerman and John Kerr who seem to be up and coming keeping up with new trends so I'd like to see that. Camerlengo and Krylova have been losing ground on the international stage and seem to be a bit at lost with the last quad evolution. Then Russia ??? well nothing too exciting going on there. Finally, people on forums always end up mentioning Platov but is he still coaching any prominent teams ? Is he still even coaching ? Forgive my ignorance but if he is, he's extremely discrete.

The safest bet for them would be to work increasingly with outside choreographers. Not only with a week long intervention like with Dean and Cirio but having someone like John Kerr choreographing the whole program with some outside help as well to truly distance themselves from MFD's style and open their horizons.

icetigger

On the Ice
Yes, apparently they do.

About changing coaching team, I wouldn't know where they could go frankly. They have a fantastic training ground in a francophone city probably making them feel the closest to home while being far away, where they famously get along with all their training mates and have an efficient off ice coaching team. I can't see them getting along with Carol Lane tbh, it might just be me reading too many subtexts in Miss Lane's commentaries on CBC. Zoueva, no way. Then the only interesting US ground could be the same as James/Cipres to work with Zimmerman and John Kerr who seem to be up and coming keeping up with new trends so I'd like to see that. Camerlengo and Krylova have been losing ground on the international stage and seem to be a bit at lost with the last quad evolution. Then Russia ??? well nothing too exciting going on there. Finally, people on forums always end up mentioning Platov but is he still coaching any prominent teams ? Is he still even coaching ? Forgive my ignorance but if he is, he's extremely discrete.

The safest bet for them would be to work increasingly with outside choreographers. Not only with a week long intervention like with Dean and Cirio but having someone like John Kerr choreographing the whole program with some outside help as well to truly distance themselves from MFD's style and open their horizons.

I actually think that it's time for G and G to start self-choreographing. I would look for the SD to still be choreographed with an outside choreographer (I would work with Dean again), and that have him in a consultancy role along with Romain on a self-choreographed free, and then additional input from whoever they think can importantly contribute (such as Cirio). Basically, i think it's important that what they now put out on the ice emphatically comes from them, and is seen to come from them.

On what is probably a more slightly superficial sidenote, I'd maybe be looking somewhere warmer.........

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Has John Kerr done any program for Ice Dancers ? Because he's doing a terrific job in Pairs.
Congratulations on your 2000th post!!
More on-topic: I couldn't answer your question as I have no clue who John Kerr is. If that is a blasphemy and a reason to kick me off the forum, so be it... :biggrin:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Congratulations on your 2000th post!!
More on-topic: I couldn't answer your question as I have no clue who John Kerr is. If that is a blasphemy and a reason to kick me off the forum, so be it... :biggrin:

Wow I didn't even noticed, thank you ! :laugh:

He is an Ice Dancer, used to compete with his sister Sinead Kerr and twice European medallist IIRC. They are British. He worked with many pair teams including James/Cipres, Savchenko/Massot and Duhamel/Radford. He does excellent programs, I don't remember if he's the one that choreographed J/C's Sound of Silence but if he did... :eek: (Edit : I think it's him though)

icetigger

On the Ice
It is very snowy here in London at present...... I imagine they will do the version they did at Grenoble.....

Bcash

Final Flight
Yes, apparently they do.

I didn't find an English version of their website. Is 6 Euro the price for a single issue? And I just click on that option?

I also agree they can try it with Kerr.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
I didn't find an English version of their website. Is 6 Euro the price for a single issue? And I just click on that option?

Yes 6 euros is the price of one issue. I couldn't find the English page either. You need to click on "ajouter au panier" meaning add to basket, then "valider ma commande" which will take you to the page summarizing your order. But you'll need to create an account. Hope this helps.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Thanks! She never lift weights. That's interesting.... Explains her physique.

Well she has a an adantage with metabolism to stay fit, and I think she must rely on dance to be toned in the arms. If you are very toned, but a dancer it may kill your line. Her arms movements are exquisite so Gabby, never lift weights please :laugh:

Bcash

Final Flight
Thanks! She never lift weights. That's interesting.... Explains her physique.

Yeah sounds like they all have their individual training plans because I saw Madison lift a lot of weight in their training videos. Seems to me Gabriella follows more of a dancer's routine.

alain06fr

On the Ice
Good this is being said out loud. Miss Caron is indeed a very lucky woman being judge to the 4 ice dance events, team and individual. She should go to Vegas now and gamble. To be fair Sharon Rogers and the Turkish guy are equally lucky it seems.

I follow you with what you say about Caron but the comparison with Sharon Rogers and the Turkish guy doesn’t make sense at all.