Alena Kostornaia | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Fluture

Record Breaker
Her english is so funny :laugh:

I think it takes a lot of courage to go and do an interview in English when you‘re not really fluent. :shocked: So I applaude her for trying. Medvedeva‘s English sounded funny, too in the beginning but she‘s a lot better after speaking so much. It’s probably really hard for Russians since their accent is really different from English. I do wonder how Anna‘s so fluent in English. When does she have the time to learn it like that? :think:

Orlov

Medalist
Ted constantly calls her Alina))

Probably, because of our constant discussions about pronunciation, while I was watching the interview, I always thought that Alena would not stand, interrupt him and say "Ted Fatherovich, I'm not Zagitova, please, say my name correctly" :)

LynsJ

On the Ice
Started paying attention to JGP last season but didn't fully follow, after watching the improvement in Alena this season I am hooked! I don't post much but read the forums every day. Just wanted to stop being a lurker and say what a talent! Her artistry is amazing for her age and I think she is going to get better and better!

Fluture

Record Breaker
Ted constantly calls her Alina))

Yes, I noticed this, too. I was uncomfortable while watching this video. But it probably happens to her and Russian skaters in general a lot. And I know how it‘s like if you‘re name always gets pronounced wrongly (even though it‘s not that hard to pronounce ? I mean, between Alina and Alena there‘s a clear difference. I don‘t know how to exactly pronounce Alena‘s name either but it‘s at least obvious that there‘s an E in it, not an I... ) and after some time you tend to ignore it and don‘t even try to get it right anymore. But I can‘t be angry with Ted after all the nice things he always said about Alena and how supportive he is of all junior skaters. :biggrin:

Anna has personal English tutor.

Ah, that explains it then, thanks. How do you know this? Did she say it? I guess it‘s her parents‘ who finance this. Good for her, it will help her a lot. :)

PekkaRink

Rinkside
Her interview 😍 I was hoping for a super cute „thank you“ in the end though, like in the last interview 🙂

I am so happy I could watch her live, she is amazing. I was a bit nervous throughout her program, because she seemed more tense than usual, I am glad she still managed to perform that well.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, I noticed this, too. I was uncomfortable while watching this video. But it probably happens to her and Russian skaters in general a lot. And I know how it‘s like if you‘re name always gets pronounced wrongly (even though it‘s not that hard to pronounce ? I mean, between Alina and Alena there‘s a clear difference. I don‘t know how to exactly pronounce Alena‘s name either but it‘s at least obvious that there‘s an E in it, not an I... ) and after some time you tend to ignore it and don‘t even try to get it right anymore. But I can‘t be angry with Ted after all the nice things he always said about Alena and how supportive he is of all junior skaters. :biggrin:

It would be easier if standard transliteration had 'yo' rather than 'e'. I know how to say it correctly because I've learned the alphabet a bit, but it's totally not phonetic in English. Then people would get closer to saying her name right. Same with lots of Russian names that start with 'E' like Egor and Evgenia. Sometimes people write them with a Y first and if that was the standard English speakers would definitely get closer. It's not as if we don't have the sound. I only just realized that Igor and Egor are different names - I just thought they were different transliterations. Of course, once I realized, it made so much sense, but I hadn't really thought about it.

But I'm not surprised that Ted says it like Alina. Alena isn't a common name in English, and it looks quite similar to Selena, which is pronounced Sel-ee-na. Of course, Elena would be pronounced E-lay-na often, but anyways, I see how he got the ee sound.

Fluture

Record Breaker
It would be easier if standard transliteration had 'yo' rather than 'e'. I know how to say it correctly because I've learned the alphabet a bit, but it's totally not phonetic in English. Then people would get closer to saying her name right. Same with lots of Russian names that start with 'E' like Egor and Evgenia. Sometimes people write them with a Y first and if that was the standard English speakers would definitely get closer. It's not as if we don't have the sound. I only just realized that Igor and Egor are different names - I just thought they were different transliterations. Of course, once I realized, it made so much sense, but I hadn't really thought about it.

But I'm not surprised that Ted says it like Alina. Alena isn't a common name in English, and it looks quite similar to Selena, which is pronounced Sel-ee-na. Of course, Elena would be pronounced E-lay-na often, but anyways, I see how he got the ee sound.

Well, yes, I get it, too and I don‘t blame him but I think it‘s just a bit different for me. I speak German and we normally don‘t have this “ee“ sound in names. Lena is just Lena, not Leena. If the pronouncation is Leena, then we simply write Lina. Same with Selena. There’s Selena or Selina (spoken like Seleena) So for me the difference between Alena and Alina is obvious. One is with an E sound like Lena but just with an A in front of it, the other‘s with an ee. I know you really say it more like Alyona anyway but I think it‘s okay for non-Russian speakers to call her simply Alena in an interview. But Alina confuses me, to be honest. It‘s just the way I speak, I guess. But this whole transliteration thing is confusing me anyway. So I can‘t blame Ted for being confused by it either. Especially if there like always two Russian ladies with the same first name. Two Annas, then two Alenas... what‘s next? :laugh:

Bit off-topic but I was really proud of our announcer. I was watching pairs free and one female skater was named Anastasia and she didn’t use the American version to pronounce it. :biggrin:

Edit: And about the Evgenia or Yevgenia thing - I generally listen to how google translate pronounces a name in Russian and I really feel like it helps.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
For me it is not such a big deal, czech language has pretty strict but intuitive rules how to transcript russian letters (or any other language) into latin, the principle is the most fonetic similarity. If you know cyrillic it is easy because you know how to pronounce it right and than you know how to transcript words. Also I was learning cyrillic when I was a boy. But as there are less people who know it now, more and more often many people use english transcription of russian names instead of the right one. It is as if somebody would hit you by the stone when you see it. Not here, of course, but in czech text it looks ridiculous.:palmf:

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I speak German and we normally don‘t have this “ee“ sound in names. Lena is just Lena, not Leena. If the pronouncation is Leena, then we simply write Lina. Same with Selena. There’s Selena or Selina (spoken like Seleena)

Enjoy the Great Vowel Shift! I think English is the only language in the world with all these 'Linas' and 'Selinas'.

Bit off-topic but I was really proud of our announcer. I was watching pairs free and one female skater was named Anastasia and she didn’t use the American version to pronounce it. :biggrin:

She also said "the Ukraine" with the article every single time. Looks like you-know-whose visit to you-know-which celebration did not remain without consequences. :biggrin:

Amef

Final Flight
Wow just saw her FS. I was blown away again. It became one of my favorite ladies program ever. Great costume, it was a unique shade of blue and brought out the Juliet character in her. I was at first concerned over the voice overs, but it wasn't too bad. Danil had subtle choreography throughout the program that brought Juliet into her.

And I love her new spin variations!
The consistency was great overall.

I wonder who her rival will be in Czech JGP up next.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Alena seems a little bit stressed this season, though I can understand why. It must be frustrating to not have all of the elements you'd like to show ready yet when your teammates are doing all sorts of crazy things. I hope she just keeps working hard on what she wants to improve and continues to give it her best. We're cheering for her no matter what!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alena seems a little bit stressed this season, though I can understand why. It must be frustrating to not have all of the elements you'd like to show ready yet when your teammates are doing all sorts of crazy things. I hope she just keeps working hard on what she wants to improve and continues to give it her best. We're cheering for her no matter what!

She could very well win Nationals this year. :)

Elana

On the Ice
For me it is not such a big deal, czech language has pretty strict but intuitive rules how to transcript russian letters (or any other language) into latin, the principle is the most fonetic similarity. If you know cyrillic it is easy because you know how to pronounce it right and than you know how to transcript words. Also I was learning cyrillic when I was a boy. But as there are less people who know it now, more and more often many people use english transcription of russian names instead of the right one. It is as if somebody would hit you by the stone when you see it. Not here, of course, but in czech text it looks ridiculous.:palmf:

Off topic but to add to this, I’ve always pronounced Plushenko as it is spelt and the way I heard it by the American announcer during the Olympics and such. And just recently I saw it spelt in Russian, and realized how I and everyone else pronounces it wrong. It is spelt Плющенко I believe, which should translate into Plyushchyenko or some version of that, and it bothers me how we somehow lost 4 important letter along the way, it’s not like it would’ve been hard to include them! Not that this is a name that ends up changing all that much, but once you understand Cyrillic, you realize that you’ve been pronouncing basically everything Russian related wrong!