Worlds 2020 spots | Golden Skate

Worlds 2020 spots

pearly

Record Breaker
Let’s post them please!

Ladies 3 spots: RUS, JPN, KAZ
2 spots: USA, KOR, CAN?

I forget after which placement skaters get a set number of points.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pairs

3: China (+1), Russia
2: France, Canada, Italy, United States (+1), Austria (+1), Germany

pearly

Record Breaker
Can we expect KAZ to fill more than one spot? Did they have more than one woman with TES minimums in the past two years?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can we expect KAZ to fill more than one spot? Did they have more than one woman with TES minimums in the past two years?
There was the other girl who was at the Olympics, though I think her minimums expired. If so, she has time to get them again.

The third spot may well go unfilled, much like Austria’s second pairs spot.

Alextrusova

Rinkside

Surely Russia has some other girls who would skate tremendously well for Kazakhstan (Anastasia Gubanova)?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

As you all know, I just love Aiza Mambekova (hence why I started a Fan Fest for her). So, I am totally biased when it comes to her.

Now, I don't know what the Minimums for next season are going to be. However, I have been looking through Aiza's Rink Results Bio, and it pains me to admit it, but she has never achieved the Minimums that were required for this year's Worlds.

• Her highest Senior SP TES was 26.95 at the 2017 Asian Games
  • Her highest Senior FS TES was 42.89 at the 2017 Universiade

So, I really hope she can achieve whatever the requirements are in the coming year!

CaroLiza_fan

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I know it would be ripe for exploitation, but it's a shame that countries can't hold onto spots they can't use right away... like, if they could "hold" a spot for maybe 2-3 years before it expired, and a skater could use the freebie spot when available. Of course you could use only one free spot a year per discipline, but lo, feds could keep spots for a better year. Plus, Japan and Russia might actually get those fabled pigs-will-fly-first 4 spots for Worlds.

pearly

Record Breaker
I know it would be ripe for exploitation, but it's a shame that countries can't hold onto spots they can't use right away... like, if they could "hold" a spot for maybe 2-3 years before it expired, and a skater could use the freebie spot when available. Of course you could use only one free spot a year per discipline, but lo, feds could keep spots for a better year. Plus, Japan and Russia might actually get those fabled pigs-will-fly-first 4 spots for Worlds.

Actually, it wouldn't be bad if, say, if you had three spots and can only fill one, you go down to two spots the following year.

I'm not sure my guesses for ladies in the first post are right, feel free to correct me.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Actually, it wouldn't be bad if, say, if you had three spots and can only fill one, you go down to two spots the following year.

I'm not sure my guesses for ladies in the first post are right, feel free to correct me.

they're right

kenboy123

On the Ice
I cannot fathom the thought of Canada dropping down to 1 spot in men's ...also, it will be both sad and hilarious if Canada drops down to 2 spots in ice dance....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I cannot fathom the thought of Canada dropping down to 1 spot in men's ...also, it will be both sad and hilarious if Canada drops down to 2 spots in ice dance....

Oh kenboy, at what point do you stop with these sky is falling analogies. Like Canadian Pairs and our Ladies, I have every reason to trust our athletes and their training and so should you. Please relax and enjoy the great skating that is to come.

Gabby Daleman earned a new nickname: Daleman the Mailman -- she delivers!''

With apologies to basketball star Carl Malone

sheetz

Record Breaker
I cannot fathom the thought of Canada dropping down to 1 spot in men's ....
At first I thought this sounded preposterous...until I looked at the SP results. Nam and Keegan are fine at their current placements, but if they each drop one spot then Canada is down to 1. And below them are a few skaters who are very capable of passing them, including Cha and Samarin.

I still think Canada will likely keep 2, but the chances of going down to 1 are significantly greater than zero.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
At first I thought this sounded preposterous...until I looked at the SP results. Nam and Keegan are fine at their current placements, but if they each drop one spot then Canada is down to 1. And below them are a few skaters who are very capable of passing them, including Cha and Samarin.

I still think Canada will likely keep 2, but the chances of going down to 1 are significantly greater than zero.

True, it is possible to lose those two spots, but there's also realistic room for Keegan at least, and maybe both of them, to move up a spot or two. Here's hoping the sweatervest gods have slaked their thirst, and will now allow both Nam and Keegan to nail their performances at the same time!

Amei

Record Breaker

Maybe they could create a rule that allows these smaller Feds who have skaters that don't qualify for the TES minimum can sell their spot with an ISU requirement be that the money received for 'selling' their spot goes into the development of their skaters.

Smaller Fed and their skaters win because they get money to put into their development. Bigger Feds that have more than 3 skaters that are competitive at the Worlds level win because they have more skaters, their skaters win because they have more opportunities to go and not only compete at the highest level but increase their potential marketability for life after skating. And fans win because we get better skaters at Worlds and theoretically down the line we'll see more countries being competitive due to the financial investment that the smaller Feds got from selling their spot(s).

pearly

Record Breaker
Maybe they could create a rule that allows these smaller Feds who have skaters that don't qualify for the TES minimum can sell their spot with an ISU requirement be that the money received for 'selling' their spot goes into the development of their skaters.

Smaller Fed and their skaters win because they get money to put into their development. Bigger Feds that have more than 3 skaters that are competitive at the Worlds level win because they have more skaters, their skaters win because they have more opportunities to go and not only compete at the highest level but increase their potential marketability for life after skating. And fans win because we get better skaters at Worlds and theoretically down the line we'll see more countries being competitive due to the financial investment that the smaller Feds got from selling their spot(s).

No. Selling spots would not be acceptable.

Ziotic

Medalist
For pairs, how many teams get seeded for GP. I know it’s 12 in singles I’m just not sure if it’s the same for pairs and dance