Tuktamysheva's scores | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva's scores

macy

Record Breaker
ok, here is some clarification on this "full blade takeoff" and "prerotation" stuff...i think some of us are taking it a little too literally.

from the USFSA website on definitions of flips and lutzes-

FLIP JUMP - A toe-pick-assisted jump taken off from the back inside edge of one foot and landed on the back outside edge of the opposite foot.

LUTZ JUMP - A toe-pick-assisted jump taken off from a back outside edge and landed on the back outside edge of the opposite foot. The skater glides backward on a wide curve, taps his toe pick into the ice, and rotates in the opposite direction of the curve. The jump is named for its inventor, Alois Lutz.

https://www.usfsa.org/story?id=83964&menu=figureskatingatoz

so let's break this down...in the eyes of the judges, a toe pick assisted jump only means using your pick on the correct foot to do the jump. it literally means putting your toe in the ice and that is it- which is what every single skater does when performing these jumps. it does not specify staying high on your pick all the way through the take off- there is a shift of weight required to get in the air, meaning not everyone stays as high up like a select few, like Yuna. it does not mean one skater has bad technique over the other, or one is wrong, nor does it matter with gaining or losing GOE. the only thing that matters whether it's called a flip or lutz are the takeoff and landing edges and whether or not your pick was in the ice.

note there is no definition of "full blade takeoff/assist" or prerotation, because they are made up terms.

from the ISU website on a cheated takeoff-

A clear forward (backward for Axel type jump) take-off will be considered as a downgraded jump. The toe loop is the most commonly cheated on take-off jump. The TP may only watch the replay in regular speed to determine the cheat and downgrade on the take off (more often in combinations or sequences).

https://isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/17594-tp-handbook-singles-2018-19/file

the first part literally means very obviously taking off backwards when going into an axel, such as somehow whipping your blade around backwards before getting into the air. it simply wouldn't be something you could get away with, and i have never seen *anyone* do this in the 20 years i've been involved in the sport, anywhere.

a toe loop with a cheated takeoff, or a toe-axel, is commonly seen at the lower levels due to incorrect teaching of the jump. this is when the skater literally turns forward with their entire body, picks facing forward, and then jumps, hence the "axel" part. in a toe loop, it's literally a toe assisted loop jump. you pick backwards, and the non-picking foot follows through on an outside edge, hence the "loop." again, you *can't* get away with doing a toe axel in high level competition because it is something so obvious you can see it even if sped up.

people are taking all of this way, way too literally, when these definitions are the only things the ISU and judging system use when looking at whether a jump is a jump.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
You're right, thankyou. I like your advice.

I've never had a die hard favourite. I like lots of different skaters for lots of different reasons, and accept they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I don't really understand the whole defend at all costs and distract with insults against others mentality.
I am not even a fan of Tuktamysheva, I just admire her textbook technique. And... I was just trying to compare her with other skaters... and their technique. Most skater nowadays have very very very poor technique. So I do not get their scores AT ALL.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
ok, here is some clarification on this "full blade takeoff" and "prerotation" stuff...i think some of us are taking it a little too literally.

FLIP JUMP - A toe-pick-assisted jump taken off from the back inside edge of one foot and landed on the back outside edge of the opposite foot.

LUTZ JUMP - A toe-pick-assisted jump taken off from a back outside edge and landed on the back outside edge of the opposite foot. The skater glides backward on a wide curve, taps his toe pick into the ice, and rotates in the opposite direction of the curve. The jump is named for its inventor, Alois Lutz.

so let's break this down...in the eyes of the judges, a toe pick assisted jump only means using your pick on the correct foot to do the jump. it literally means putting your toe in the ice and that is it- which is what every single skater does when performing these jumps. it does not mean or specify staying high on your pick all the way through the take off- there is a shift of weight required to get in the air, meaning not everyone stays as high up like a select few, like Yuna. it does not mean one skater has bad technique over the other, or one is wrong, nor does it matter with gaining or losing GOE. the only thing that matters whether it's called a flip or lutz are the takeoff and landing edges and whether or not your pick was in the ice.

note there is no definition of "full blade takeoff/assist" or prerotation, because they are made up terms.

A clear forward (backward for Axel type jump) take-off will be considered as a downgraded jump. The toe loop is the most commonly cheated on take-off jump. The TP may only watch the replay in regular speed to determine the cheat and downgrade on the take off (more often in combinations or sequences).

https://isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/17594-tp-handbook-singles-2018-19/file

the first part literally means very obviously taking off backwards when taking off into an axel, such as somehow whipping your blade around backwards before getting into the air. it simply wouldn't be something you could get away with, and i have never seen *anyone* do this in the 20 years i've been involved in the sport, anywhere.

a toe loop with a cheated takeoff, or a toe-axel, is commonly seen at the lower levels due to incorrect teaching of the jump. this is when the skater literally turns forward with their entire body, picks facing forward, and then jumps, hence the "axel" part. in a toe loop, it's literally a toe assisted loop jump. you pick backwards, and the non-picking foot follows through on an outside edge, hence the "loop." again, you *can't* get away with doing a toe axel in high level competition because it is something so obvious you can see it even if sped up.

people are taking all of this way, way too literally, when these definitions are the only things the ISU and judging system use when looking at whether a jump is a jump.
Hahaha

skatinggold

On the Ice
She was totally underscored. No way will 2 two triple axle program lose to one without none. Bradie Tennell was overscored.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
well, i guess go ahead and stay in your made up world of judging rules :laugh: i am simply trying to educate.
It is not educating at all. Toe pick assisted jumps must be toe pick assisted. That is why they are called toe pick assisted jumps. And yes - toe pick assisted all the way - not changing with full blade at the last moment. And it is not only Yuna - Carolina too, Liza, Alexia, Tomoe, Yuzuru, Nathan and Jin have textbook technique.
You are the one who is trying to twist words in order to make new rules. Not me.

E

eterialskater

Yes, it's a pity.

The only bright spot for me was that at least Shcherbakova shows artistic potential (she's nothing artistically yet, obviously, but she has raw talent, and she has time to develop it), so all is not lost for where the sport goes next. That gives me hope that we won't have to suffer through years of points-maximizing empty automatons that learned to jump and flail their arms, and nothing else.

Some people make it sound like their rare backhanded praise to Russian skaters are welcome by fans. We are not that starve for validation. As the Russian express train moves at full speed, some people are just left positively agaped and lost for words. When somebody says Shcherbakova and Kostornaya lack musicality and finesse while simultaneously raising the likes of Sakamoto as the next Mao Asada then I can only give back a wry smile in return.

macy

Record Breaker
It is not educating at all. Toe pick assisted jumps must be toe pick assisted. That is why they are called toe pick assisted jumps. And yes - toe pick assisted all the way - not changing with full blade at the last moment. And it is not only Yuna - Carolina too, Liza, Alexia, Tomoe, Yuzuru, Nathan and Jin have textbook technique.
You are the one who is trying to twist words in order to make new rules. Not me.

if you can find something to back up your claims, please share. i am interested to know if there are other sources that contradict the rules that are made and used by the ISU.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She was totally underscored. No way will 2 two triple axle program lose to one without none. Bradie Tennell was overscored.

By themselves, two 3As don't mean much. The base value of two 3S jumps exceeds that of one 3A, so even doing one more triple completely offsets any advantage of the more difficult jump. Skaters can also close that gap with superior spins and steps on the TES side. I agree that Liza is very underscored on her 3A, especially given the more difficult entrance she put in, but most everything else she does in her programs do not match the quality of her 3A jumps.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes she is human, but the attitude will not do her any favours in the judges eyes. Athletes are expected to behave with a certain amount of decorum, grace and sportsmanship.
Ashley Wagner was also very outspoken and snarky, making comments on the judging of her and other's scores.
It doesn't usually help their cause to act that way, no matter how naturally human it is.
Continuing to sneer at her scores will not help Liza earn better scores, but might make things worse instead.

I believe that they had every chance to prove she was in on it but no matter how much they tried, could not produce the evidence.
Tonya has maintained her innocence the whole time and with no proof deserves the same innocent until proven guilty standard as everyone else. She's as much of a victim as Nancy is, in so many ways. The media's treatment of her was appalling and full of Tonya is trash propaganda from the start. Her husband was also a vile, snivelling, lying, despicable piece of dirt who abused women...and who actually considered having Nancy murdered at one point. I think I'd take Tonya's side over his any day.

I don't know as much about the O.J situation apart from he was not proven guilty and unless you were there, can't say he damn well did because...you don't damn well know.

You can believe both examples are guilty but you can't know it, a court of law in both cases failed to do so.
OJ was thankfully found guilty in civil court call while Tonya Harding was found guilty in the court of public opinion. Both happened in 1994 that was one crazy year with these 2 epic stories.

I am not even a fan of Tuktamysheva, I just admire her textbook technique. And... I was just trying to compare her with other skaters... and their technique. Most skater nowadays have very very very poor technique. So I do not get their scores AT ALL.

Fair pionts. Liza thinks this way too which is why she sometimes gets frustrated. In a way I can't blame her. And as others point out she leaves valuable points on the table with both her programs. If that's the truth then Liza and her coaches are not doing the best job they can to optimize and maximize her performances and scoring potential.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
if you can find something to back up your claims, please share. i am interested to know if there are other sources that contradict the rules that are made and used by the ISU.
Exactly - the rules of ISU, where is written toe pick assisted and not starting with toe pick and then changing it to full blade, as you are saying. These are your words and not ISU's! Show me where it is written that you only start with toe pick, but then you do not go all the way with the toe pick!?! And by the way, have you watched ISU simulations for these jumps. Let me guess - NOT!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
3T+3T is just not up to the standard of a today's champion anymore so we leave that combo out of discussion. Plus: When she landed good 3T+3T's she had about 8-10 crossovers before.
About her 3Lz+3T: She landed it twice last season if I remember correctly? And both were a bit hooked and scratchy on the landing. Same for her 3F+3T this season.

To conclude: She has good solo jumps and textbook Lutz technique. But because she is skating so slow, she has problems with her combos. You need to approach the first jump of your combo with good speed and then keep it rather long and low.

Look, i didn't say that she's the best jumper, just that her jumps are not as bad as some make it sound. We can say she needs to work on her spins, steps, speed but her jumps are not that bad.
3T-3T is up to today's standards if you have a 3A. Even with a 2A she wouldn't have been far behind those who have 3F-3T/2A/3lo in BV.

I don't see 8-10 crossovers there https://youtu.be/lZD5iZwj6E8
Or there https://youtu.be/FKjpKJ0xba0

She landed 3lz-3T four time out of 7 attempts.
I don't think that this was scratchy https://youtu.be/YEyBaMmsUXQ

I don't know if she fell once since the start of the season, just two pops i think. She landed the 3F-3Ts she attempted this season and the execution in term of height, distance, flow wasn't that bad https://youtu.be/KXWLIlDsqaM
If she was among the lucky ones who get away with edge calls she would have scored way higher in challengers.
But anyway.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Fair pionts. Liza thinks this way too which is why she sometimes gets frustrated. In a way I can't blame her. And as others point out she leaves valuable points on the table with both her programs. If that's the truth then Liza and her coaches are not doing the best job they can to optimize and maximize her performances and scoring potential.
I think many people around the world think like that as well. I mean - there is nothing WOW in the programs of "The Unbeatables"(with the exception of Kostornaya - she has great fluidity and huge jumps)and yet they get these huge huge huge scores.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I don't think Liza's scores are unfair. There is no doubt she has improved in certain areas, but in the end it doesn't matter because she is not scored based on personal development or improvement, but in comparison to other skaters. And if other skaters are better, she gets the scores relative to her competitors.

Just insert instead of Lisa any other famous name from the top, and you will see some doubtfulness of this argument.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I think many people around the world think like that as well. I mean - there is nothing WOW in the programs of "The Unbeatables"(with the exception of Kostornaya - she has great fluidity and huge jumps)and yet they get these huge huge huge scores.

That is your opinion and one that isn't shared by everyone. I'd say your opinion is in the minority even.
They get the huge scores by earning as many points as possible. By having the highest technical difficulty, hitting all their levels and performing their programs well enough.
I think it's hard to deny Shcherbakova and Trusova have a WOW factor for their quads, Sasha is almost competitive with the men in technical content, how is that not impressive?!

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia

I think that publishing the names of these YT resources is not allowed here. And it definitely has nothing to do with ISU.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

so let's break this down...in the eyes of the judges, a toe pick assisted jump only means using your pick on the correct foot to do the jump. it literally means putting your toe in the ice and that is it- which is what every single skater does when performing these jumps. it does not specify staying high on your pick all the way through the take off- there is a shift of weight required to get in the air, meaning not everyone stays as high up like a select few, like Yuna. it does not mean one skater has bad technique over the other, or one is wrong, nor does it matter with gaining or losing GOE. the only thing that matters whether it's called a flip or lutz are the takeoff and landing edges and whether or not your pick was in the ice.

the first part literally means very obviously taking off backwards when going into an axel, such as somehow whipping your blade around backwards before getting into the air. it simply wouldn't be something you could get away with, and i have never seen *anyone* do this in the 20 years i've been involved in the sport, anywhere.

Agreed. People really don't understand jump mechanics if they think a skater could really jump with the assistance of the FULL blade. Yes, some skaters will use more of the blade to assist in their takeoff but the reality is, the skaters are using their picks. You think these skaters who apparently take off with their full blade could do a quad/triple flip or lutz off of toe-pickless hockey skates?!

I find it a bit sad that Tuktamysheva can only come 3rd with such a consistent 3A... however, her programs really do need better content. She's a veteran and her skating still looks a bit sloppy. She's not exactly a skater whose artistry has improved a ton as her career progresses however, her 3A ability obviously has. Look at her interpretation/composition scores... theres a reason she's still getting some 7's, and mid 8's at best, in spite of being a World champion. She's got a bit of a Plushenko/Joubert complex going for her, IMO.. where in spite of earlier career success, the quality of the overall skating stagnated and the PCS suffered as a result. At some point the judges will get you for resting on your laurels - it's more than just about the jumps.

macy

Record Breaker
Exactly - the rules of ISU, where is written toe pick assisted and not starting with toe pick and then changing it to full blade, as you are saying. These are your words and not ISU's! Show me where it is written that you only start with toe pick, but then you do not go all the way with the toe pick!?! And by the way, have you watched ISU simulations for these jumps. Let me guess - NOT!

the thing you're not understanding is its not humanly possible to stay ONLY on the toepick the whole way through. like i said before, there is a shift of weight when lifting to the air which causes the pick to look like it's "full blade" or rocking back to the blade, but this is natural, and it has to do with beginning the rotation and the jump carrying distance across the ice. if it were THAT important, the rules would specify, but they do not, and everyone would be getting dinged. my explanations were only based off what was written in the rules. i'm not sure how you could interpret them any other way.

if you want to get that technical about it, here is the ISU simulation video for the flip. again, nothing mentioned in writing or on the voice over about "full blade assist"

https://twitter.com/chiburahakkai/status/1019876717148508161?lang=en

and no, Yuna doesn't even stay "all the way up on her pick" either. slow this down to .25 and her weight begins to fall back on the ball of her foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxZsB3QUU60

i'm not going to keep beating a dead horse, but this is for everyone's reference, not just yours.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Liza is proof that those who claim jumps are ALL that matters these days are wrong.
Because if they were, she would not be in this situation.

E

eterialskater

Someone is certainly trapped in an echo chamber. Unless they are truly problematic like Uno's flip and lutz technique then I don't see the reason why judges should spend inordinate amount of time looking at slow mo just to satisfy the whims of scrupulous viewers. And BTW many of those you mentioned have edge problems and so how in the world could you conclude they are the definition of textbook technique. The only ones I can agree with are Jin and Chen.