What to expect from Caroline? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What to expect from Caroline?

R.D.

Record Breaker
anybody who thinks that obviously did not see her performance after the first triple flip. jumps are not the only thing in skating. yes important, but not the only thing.

It would have been fair to put her in 3rd behind Slutskaya, but this is not the thread for this topic

krenseby

Final Flight
Not sure who is under pressure. Caroline has nothing to lose; Kimmie has already lost what she had. So these two gals go in as challengers. Maybe Miki who has to uphold the view that she is now the "best in the world at this point in time" would give her pressure. I dunno.

Granted , Challengers feel pressure to win but Defenders feel more pressure to keep them from winning.

My question will always be who can controll pressure best if pressure exists as it did in the battle of the Brians and Carmens.

Joe

I disagree that Miki is entitled to look at herself at the best in the world... Her World results indicate that she is probably 2nd best at the world when she does everything perfectly, as she came in 2nd in both SP & LP.

Well, Miki is entitled to look at herself as the World Champion.

I suppose you could say that Mao Asada's results at worlds indicate that when she misses her tripel-triple combination she is fifth best in the world, and Yu-na Kim's results show that when she falls twice she is fourth best.

But if they should fade away into oblivion without much else, many folks will write off their WC wins as flukes.
Non Fans would definitely do that, but Ando's and Meissner's names will always be in the books as the Champions of 2007 and 2006.

kappa_1

On the Ice
Does anyone else notice how she kind of hurls herself into jumps, especially the lutz and flip? It reminds me of NNN when she was around that age and kinda scares me. I don't know much about proper jump technique though, so I want to hear the thoughts of those who do.

jiggs

On the Ice
I just re-watched her performances from last season and I don't think she will be in the GP final. Don't get me wrong, I think she is very talanted, but I just think at this point, all the top ladies are far better than her.

1. She is very slow. She really has to improve her speed.
2. Her jumping entrances really bother me. Especially her technique on the lutz and the flip, I am pretty sure she will get deductions for that with the new rules.
3. She has really nice postitions but to me her presentation is still not there. And that is totally understandable, I mean how old is she, 13, 14? Give her some time and she will develop some emotion on the ice.
4. I hope she has a good choreographer over the summer who will actually include some transitions in her program. In the last two, she skates from one element to the next, doing some arm movements.

But her spinning, oh my, is awesome. I honestly have never seen anyone spinning like that and hitting positions like that. I have always been a fan of Lambiel's spins, but compared to hers, his positions look pretty sloppy!

jiggs- nothing wrong with your opinions but I don't agree with them. And getting into the Ladies GP Finals will have an elimination of at least 30 Ladies. Predictions at this point are useless except for the last Worlds' podium skaters.

Joe

PS - You are a fan of Spins???

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree completely, jiggs. Her spiral positions are beautiful, but at one point it almost came to a standstill (I'm thinking of her SP at Junior Worlds). She also needs to improve her ice coverage - though, that might be because she's so small.

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline's junior world's total score is comparable to (but ever slightly less than) Yu-na's winning score last year, and Mao's from two years ago; both had near-perfect performances. (The best thing about CoP is that you can compare skaters from different competitions!) And she did it without a 3A or 3/3. I think she would come a close third to Mao & Yu-na if all three skate perfect programs, and she might even win if Yu-na falls on another lutz or Mao pops a 3loop. But if Caro can add a 3/3, I think Mao and Yu-na better watch out! We'll find out soon at SA whether the much speculated Caro's 3/3 will really materialized (or whether it will go the way of Johnny's quad :( ).

All that's said about Caro's short-comings -- lutz/flip entries, footwork seq's, speed/coverage, facial expressions -- are probably true, but she has other amazing qualities that make up for it (I won't re-iterate them here). International judges apparently believe so; their scores indicate so. In terms of competition results, it matters little how much her talents delight her fans, or her flaws irritate her detractors. :)

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I have always been a fan of Lambiel's spins, but compared to hers, his positions look pretty sloppy!

Lambiel's spins have never been great because of pretty positions - they are great because of exotic positions plus the amazing amount of speed that he is often able to put into them.

~Z

I really don't see why posters don't mention Caroline's age. I do not think anyone on the scene today or in previous years, at the age of 13 as showing full maturity . An 18 year old corps de ballet dancer is lucky she gets a lead by 20. Why put this to a test of a 13-14 year old skater? A high spiral is not unusual in ballet. All those dancers have it at high, medium and low which can tell the audience how well the interpretation is. The CoP is too demanding for the technical for anyone to really go for interpretation in PCS scores. And total scores vary from one competitiion to another. Not a good gauge to compare skaters. Your own eyesight is best.

Caroline is best described as I said a couple of years ago as a very very very talented young lady. She then confirmed that at the Junior Level last season. So let's see what happens in Skate America when she skates against two World Champions.

Joe

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Here's a novel idea. Why not let the girl enter into the senior level, compete, and see what comes of it, without any expectations? Oh, that's right. It's more fun to speculate, and then passive-aggressively bash the person when they fail to perform up to expectations.

RG - Where have you been? We've gone through several seasons without any of your most welcome comments. Stick around. :bow:

Joe

krenseby

Final Flight
re:

Here's a novel idea. Why not let the girl enter into the senior level, compete, and see what comes of it, without any expectations? Oh, that's right. It's more fun to speculate, and then passive-aggressively bash the person when they fail to perform up to expectations.

I think that if I were open to open a new figure skating forum, your quote would make into the board purpose statement.

Welcome to our humble skating forum, where we speculate skaters abilities and then passive-aggressively bas them when they fail to perform to expectations

;-)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Caroline's junior world's total score is comparable to (but ever slightly less than) Yu-na's winning score last year, and Mao's from two years ago; both had near-perfect performances. (The best thing about CoP is that you can compare skaters from different competitions!) And she did it without a 3A or 3/3. I think she would come a close third to Mao & Yu-na if all three skate perfect programs, and she might even win if Yu-na falls on another lutz or Mao pops a 3loop. But if Caro can add a 3/3, I think Mao and Yu-na better watch out!

1. Scores tend to escalate with each year under COP
2. Both Mao and Yu-Na are much better already now then when they were juniors

I dont think Caroline would come even close to a perfect Mao or Yu-Na at this point in time.