Jason Brown | Page 773 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ohhh - I hope Charli is okay. My Siamese, Benjamin, needs an antibiotic shot about every other month and our vet has the same arrangement. I think in general people are trying to find creative ways to continue business without putting people at further risk. We've been able to get groceries as needed - other than paper products - pet food, etc. We had to increase the bandwidth on our internet because son and daughter-in-law are working from home and granddaughter is doing online college classes. But it's working. My major complaint right now is the banning of figure skating YouTubes. What is with that anyway? The good news is I haven't heard of any figure skaters who've contracted the virus. Has anybody else?

Thanks for the good wishes noskates.. Charli is fine.. got his allergy shot and a heavy duty antibiotic too.. now sleeping soundly...

noskates

Record Breaker
It's nice that Jason wore shorts that matched the art work on the wall behind him.....:laugh2: One of those core exercises would have had me in traction for a month!!! Megan Duhamel is doing a series of workouts on twitter - they all look painful.

We have a big pond in our backyard and the ducks are out in force. One came up to my patio door and had a stare-off with Benj. Pretty funny. Sad that I'm so easily amused these days.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Jason, for much of your devoted fanbase, rolling on the floor into abs exercises is not happening if we ever want to get up off the floor and walk again :laugh:

(She says nursing the pulled back muscle from trying to lift 30 year old carpet off the closet floor. Don't get too frisky at home;) )

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, I tried it, there was a lot of ungraceful flopping around like a dead fish.

I wonder how he's doing. He's such an active, bouncy person, always moving, that not being able to properly train or leave the house must be just about killing him.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
On another topic, Zhenya announced today that she and her team decided to relocate her to Japan to fulfill her contractural agreements to star in the Sailor Moon show. Canada will be closing it's borders, so she felt she had to leave when she could. I know that Jason is scheduled to do that show, but doubt that he'll be moving to Japan this early. Not sure what the status of traveling in and out of Japan from the US is. And I wonder if the show will happen. But at least if she's there and ready to go. It's a little scary, since Japan's numbers are rising for the virus, The show is scheduled for late June. I assume that the rinks are still open in Japan and she can train there. She can't train in Canada. Don't know what Jason will do.

Ross74

Medalist
On another topic, Zhenya announced today that she and her team decided to relocate her to Japan to fulfill her contractural agreements to star in the Sailor Moon show. Canada will be closing it's borders, so she felt she had to leave when she could. I know that Jason is scheduled to do that show, but doubt that he'll be moving to Japan this early. Not sure what the status of traveling in and out of Japan from the US is. And I wonder if the show will happen. But at least if she's there and ready to go. It's a little scary, since Japan's numbers are rising for the virus, The show is scheduled for late June. I assume that the rinks are still open in Japan and she can train there. She can't train in Canada. Don't know what Jason will do.

I'm going to be brutally honest here - this doesn't sit well with me. I went back and read this in the original Russian to make sure I wasn't missing something. I don't think there is any chance that any of the ice shows will be taking place this summer in Japan. And I don't think any skaters (or anyone) should be travelling across continents without a very good reason. Most of the skaters associated with the Sailor Moon show, which is scheduled for early June, are based in North America. Hasn't Japan closed its borders to travelers from both the U.S. and Canada? I just don't see the cast members who are not currently training in Japan taking the risk to go there for a show. People are losing their lives and livelihoods right now. I just can't get on board with anyone doing this kind of traveling with everything going on. I would feel the same way if Jason were to show up there. This is a life-and-death situation worldwide and EVERYONE needs to heed the warnings and do their part!

noskates

Record Breaker
Totally agree with Ross. On the face of this it shows complete disregard for the situation this world is in.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Evgenia may just be wanting to preempt the border closures and also the rink scarcity in Canada... I don't really approve but it's hardly my call, and I can see that people with a great deal invested in one or more shows may be seeing things differently.

I doubt the show will go ahead, which is a pity because weren't we going to get Jason as a villain? And the money and further exposure in Japan would be great for him, it seems to me that more people are finding out about his skill and his wonderful personality (he's just the sort of celebrity who is a pearl without price in darker times) and it would be a boost... but it's not worth his health. He's far better off waiting at this stage to see where the world is at later.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm with Ross but I'll go harsher: I think this is frankly irresponsible.

She's gallivanting off to the other side of the world at a time when ALL travel - even domestically, let alone internationally - should be discouraged. She's going into a place where cases are still rising and hasn't reached their peak yet, all for what, maybe a week of ice time? I'm sure Japan will be closing rinks soon if they haven't already. And then what? Then she's stuck. Because she won't be able to get back into Canada.

These shows aren't going ahead. I'm sad about it - I was looking forward to villain!Jason and loved the concept. But the world situation just doesn't allow it at this time. And whether she likes it or not, she is a role model. It's not good for people to see her not taking this seriously.

Evgenia may just be wanting to preempt the border closures and also the rink scarcity in Canada... I don't really approve but it's hardly my call, and I can see that people with a great deal invested in one or more shows may be seeing things differently.

I doubt rinks will be open in Japan much longer as cases are on the rise there and peak hasn't been reached yet. But it's also about the travelling.

If she ends up stuck there, I do not want to hear "Oh my training time was affected because I couldn't go back to Canada" as an excuse next season, given she willingly LEFT Canada DURING A LOCKDOWN.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
The only thing I can add is I guess we don't know what contractual obligations there may have been. I'm imagining she would be getting a massive paycut from this show, and (this is all speculation) if she hadn't made efforts to get there seeing as they haven't (yet) officially cancelled the show or Japan's borders, could affect that? In reality none of know what reasons lie behind her making the trip. Perhaps she is able to get some private ice time there which she isn't getting in Canada, or is planning to go to Russia as a back up plan after where things are a lot less behind the US/Canada. And I know we are meant to be thinking and active for the collective people, but I think it is true that lots of people will find it difficult to think past their individual circumstances particularly those around jobs and money. For many of these athletes, skating is their job and being the best brings the most success in terms of opportunities and endorsements. Zhenya is also in a different situation to most Russian athletes with paying for her training in Canada so I can understand why she might be trying to seek something to sustain her livelihood.

I don't think it's the correct decision to do but I can partially understand it. I do agree with everyone else though that the show is probably not going ahead. I'm hoping that they will just postpone it? Push it back to June next year where (please god) things will be better, there are so many good skaters attached to this show, I can't imagine them just scrapping it outright? I wanna see Villain Jason!!

Sherkane

Rinkside
I'm with Ross but I'll go harsher: I think this is frankly irresponsible.

She's gallivanting off to the other side of the world at a time when ALL travel - even domestically, let alone internationally - should be discouraged. She's going into a place where cases are still rising and hasn't reached their peak yet, all for what, maybe a week of ice time? I'm sure Japan will be closing rinks soon if they haven't already. And then what? Then she's stuck. Because she won't be able to get back into Canada.

These shows aren't going ahead. I'm sad about it - I was looking forward to villain!Jason and loved the concept. But the world situation just doesn't allow it at this time. And whether she likes it or not, she is a role model. It's not good for people to see her not taking this seriously.

I doubt rinks will be open in Japan much longer as cases are on the rise there and peak hasn't been reached yet. But it's also about the travelling.

If she ends up stuck there, I do not want to hear "Oh my training time was affected because I couldn't go back to Canada" as an excuse next season, given she willingly LEFT Canada DURING A LOCKDOWN.

Being a good citizen means adhering to the laws and rules of your country, not obeying the moral standards of a foreign one.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
All those thoughts and concerns went through my mind as well. She could have gone back to Russia and trained there, but I expect that this decision was based on the contract that she has with the show producers. If she makes her best effort to be available and they have to cancel the show, she probably still gets paid something. Shows are insured. Jason went to Chicago to live with his parents. He has no significant cost of living to be concerned about. And I doubt that he is dependent on the show money for his expenses next season. It's undoubtedly part of the package, but it's probably not a necessity. Zhenya has few options for where to go and Japan is one of them. She is contracted to be there. So while it makes the best sense that they would allow her to stay home and if the show gets canceled, allow her to fulfill the contract at another time while still getting paid, the company may have other ideas and she has to work with that. She is also the Russian athletic ambassador to the Olympics, which were postponed, but there might be some work to do there as well. I doubt that the show will happen and it's a shame, but it hasn't been canceled. So it's not really her fault that she had to make this decision. It's really the fault of the producers who are resisting making the decision. She's the star and the draw. She's their ticket. It's a difficult situation for her to be in. Less so for Jason. I would love to see him be able to do that show. He would have fun and everyone would love seeing him. But for Zhenya it might be her main job for this year and the impact is huge. Tough choices are being made everywhere. I live in a county of 400,000 that has 1800 confirmed cases because people won't respect the social distancing rules. We know that there are many more cases that haven't been tested. I understand the concerns. I wish she had stayed in Canada also. I'm sure that this was a very difficult decision for her.

noskates

Record Breaker
Sorry - contracts are pretty much null and void in many areas of the world because of the virus. Any company that would insist on someone traveling during these times to fulfill a contract for a show that will very likely not happen in the announced timeframe is almost criminal. She's being awfully stupid, her "managers" are being very cavalier with an elite skater's life (or anybody's life) or there's more to this story. If it's a case of money? I've lost all respect for her.

Just to bring this back on topic, I'm glad Jason is at home with his family. They do so much together I'm guessing there are board games, jigsaw puzzles, etc. I would also imagine Jason has figured out a way to stay in shape.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hi everybody- I hope you’re all doing well. Sorry to have dropped out of sight, but work hasn’t left me much energy lately. I’m finding that after a couple of weeks of staying home, things are starting to wear a bit, and there have been a few days when I’ve woken up really, really grumpy. :drama: But I try to keep reminding myself that even if work seems overwhelming right now, I’m so lucky to have a job, a roof over my head, and food in the pantry, and at least for now, my family and I are all healthy. It’s so strange, though - who could have imagined six months ago that Worlds would be canceled and we’d be facing a global pandemic.

Regarding Evgenia, I worry very much about her, and I hope with all my heart she stays safe and healthy. But I think it’s best not to discuss or criticize her in Jason’s thread, okay?

My understanding is that effective April 3, Japan has closed its doors to visitors from many countries, including the US and Canada. So for that reason and many others, I would be very surprised to hear that Jason is going to Japan. It must be so tough on all skaters not to be able to train and compete right now, and it’s really disappointing that Jason wasn’t able to build on his momentum from Nats and 4 Continents. But hopefully the world will right itself in the not too distant future and we’ll again be able to watch Jason’s beautiful skating.

Speaking of which, I think we’d progressed to 2013 in our Jason retrospective, am I right? If I’m wrong, let me know!

This is the first year when we start having multiple competitions to compare. It’s also the year he transitioned to senior, and the start of the 2013-2014 pre Olympic season. So here are Jason’s SP and FS from 2013 Nats. He’s skating senior domestically here, but his next comp was junior Worlds. If I recall, these are a tough watch, but never fear, there are better things to come!

If we’ve already seen these, I apologize and let me know!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T-aGXKJXwbI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddz6KpcPV-Q

Ross74

Medalist
Regarding Evgenia, I worry very much about her, and I hope with all my heart she stays safe and healthy. But I think it’s best not to discuss or criticize her in Jason’s thread, okay?

I disagree that she has personally been criticized here. Someone brought in a quote because it could possibly have affected Jason and people responded to that. I appreciated most of the comments here.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hate to be the buzzkill, but I will be:

Discussing another skater to contrast, comapare or critique in one skater’s FF is against guidelines. Particularly to discuss that skater’s personal choices with regard to an ice show. Saying “Yeah I love Zhenya and Jason together they are great” is :thumbsup: concentrating on Zhenya’s personal choices on how to conduct her affairs in Jason’s FF, probably not:confused2:

Although I do want to say how grateful I am for our “in-house” Russian translator.:hap85:

The situation makes us all on edge except for our sunshine Jason:agree:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi everybody- I hope you’re all doing well. Sorry to have dropped out of sight, but work hasn’t left me much energy lately. I’m finding that after a couple of weeks of staying home, things are starting to wear a bit, and there have been a few days when I’ve woken up really, really grumpy. :drama: But I try to keep reminding myself that even if work seems overwhelming right now, I’m so lucky to have a job, a roof over my head, and food in the pantry, and at least for now, my family and I are all healthy. It’s so strange, though - who could have imagined six months ago that Worlds would be canceled and we’d be facing a global pandemic.

My understanding is that effective April 3, Japan has closed its doors to visitors from many countries, including the US and Canada. So for that reason and many others, I would be very surprised to hear that Jason is going to Japan. It must be so tough on all skaters not to be able to train and compete right now, and it’s really disappointing that Jason wasn’t able to build on his momentum from Nats and 4 Continents. But hopefully the world will right itself in the not too distant future and we’ll again be able to watch Jason’s beautiful skating.

Speaking of which, I think we’d progressed to 2013 in our Jason retrospective, am I right? If I’m wrong, let me know!

This is the first year when we start having multiple competitions to compare. It’s also the year he transitioned to senior, and the start of the 2013-2014 pre Olympic season. So here are Jason’s SP and FS from 2013 Nats. He’s skating senior domestically here, but his next comp was junior Worlds. If I recall, these are a tough watch, but never fear, there are better things to come!

If we’ve already seen these, I apologize and let me know!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T-aGXKJXwbI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddz6KpcPV-Q

Thank you Tavi! I've missed these videos every day! Also sorry to have started a fuss. It wasn't my intention. Worried about Zhenya also, and glad that Jason is safe with his family.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
And for something completely different:

the 2020 World FS Championships for men, as held on a lake in Finland:

https://www.facebook.com/markus.peltonen.10/videos/10156901367537461/

I think the second competitor, with the uh, spiral (which is way better than any spiral I can do:biggrin:) is Jason. And he won:clap:

(H/t to @MGStyle for alerting me to this video)

Omigod el, that was hysterical! Complete with tissue boxes, spirals, stuffies, replays, knc, and scores! I’m wondering if Peltonen is a common name or if he’s related to Emmie? In any case, super funny and well done! :)

@ross74 I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree - just to be clear I wasn’t criticizing you for bringing this up at all, and in fact appreciate your translation very much. I wasn’t aware of the news.