2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Happier news from the world of Canadian skating, ice dancers Carolane Soucisse and Shane Firus have announced they are leaving Ice Academy of Montreal to train with Carol Lane and her team in Toronto.
Here's the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_DIOE_jE5s/
I think this has potential to be a brilliant move for them as they aim towards Beijing 2022, and wish them all the best! (Also, Carolane and Carol Lane, perfect!)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Happier news from the world of Canadian skating, ice dancers Carolane Soucisse and Shane Firus have announced they are leaving Ice Academy of Montreal to train with Carol Lane and her team in Toronto.
I think this has potential to be a brilliant move for them as they aim towards Beijing 2022, and wish them all the best! (Also, Carolane and Carol Lane, perfect!)

this is indeed very exciting... not only for them but for the good juniors who also train there

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The ISU officially updated the world standings to drop the 17/18 season and move the 18/19 season to 70% value.

Current top Canadians by discipline:

Men: Keegan (#12)
Ladies: Alison (#67)
Pairs: KMT & Michael (#3)
Ice dance: Piper & Paul (#4)

Very early days, and we don't at this point even know what sort of senior schedule is going to be allowed due to coronavirus, but to the extent possible, Skate Canada needs to make sure Piper & Paul do two events for the "other international" category next season. They would have missed the final group at Worlds had it been held because of the lack of a second one. Barbara Fusar-Poli and the Italian fed are great at milking the Challengers for all they're worth to keep Guignard/Fabbri's world standing up despite this having been an underwhelming season for them at the big-ticket events.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Has Gabby Daleman retired? I saw on twitter she’s applying to be in Miss World?

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Has Gabby Daleman retired? I saw on twitter she’s applying to be in Miss World?

She's been posting clips of her off-ice training, at home including off-ice jumps, on instagram so I doubt it. Is there a reason she couldn't do both?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Good point, I guess I’ve just never seen a full time athlete be in pageants before. I’m sure it can be done.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Good point, I guess I’ve just never seen a full time athlete be in pageants before. I’m sure it can be done.

there are often med students, athletes (NCAA in the USA) artists.. etc... it's not unusual IMHO

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Oh my god, this is fantastic. I’ve always said Carolane needs to be coached by Carol Lane, just because of their names nearly being the same. :laugh:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Being an athlete seems likely to be anything but full-time in the next little while, in any case.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Being an athlete seems likely to be anything but full-time in the next little while, in any case.

Speaking of Gabby Daleman, she also had "actress" in her bio for a bit. She took it out now, but I thought it was interesting. I don't think she's retiring yet, but she is looking beyond figure skating I guess

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I went back in time and I watched Emanuel Sandhu. He was such a wonderful skater, ballet on ice. Thank you Lagboat for the links!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found the choreography done by Toller Cranston for Karen Preston and for ice dancers Peter & Janoschak to be utterly fascinating. If you've ever wondered what Toller would do as an ice dancer, then this is for you. Of course, I think he would've hated the required elements used today. One of the numbers from 1990 was a dance to the Last Emperor- same music famously used by Chen Lu. The other piece was Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure 1991. Karen was classical Toller.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went back in time and I watched Emanuel Sandhu. He was such a wonderful skater, ballet on ice. Thank you Lagboat for the links!

Emanuel was so unusual, so ahead of his time and such gorgeous lines and unexpected quirkiness. There is one of the Olympic previews by Kurt Browning talking about Sandhu - I forgot which year - very interesting stuff.