Vincent Zhou Tests Positive for COVID | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou Tests Positive for COVID

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Controversial opinion - why can't they give skaters an opportunity even with Covid? Here me out: Vincent still has to isolate, he can only train in his room, make him the last skater to go, clear out all other competitors, have him come to the rink super- masked, give him a 5 minute warmup before he performs, he can only take the mask off to perform and as soon as he's done, re-mask and back to isolation. Yes, he loses out on practice and it may not be the ideal way to compete but he would get a shot to skate.

*I'm just using Vincent as an example since we know he has been impacted
I think this would be within the bounds of reasonable behavior. It was so disappointing to see the holes in the team event field due to delays in clearing Covid protocols. I am glad those athletes are now able to perform in the individual events but it really makes me wish there had been some creative planning to allow them to compete two days earlier.

Especially for sports like Ski Jumping which take place out doors. Maybe it wouldn't work out for short track speedskating but competitions with missing athletes are not exciting.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is so deflating. My level of excitement for this event has taken a dip. I'm still going to cheer for our skaters but, it won't be the same. Maybe in the future, they'll fly the alternates along with the rest of the team so we won't be short skaters should something unexpected happen.
There was nowhere for alternates to wait. Also, Vincent can’t be subbed out as he skated in the TE.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent got there early, did everything right and still gets Covid in their stupid bubble? What is going on? The IOC never should have given the Games to Beijing.
Beijing should never have held the games. They should have been postponed. If they were unwilling to do so the IOC should have stepped in. I’ve been saying since
US nationals that the OGM may not be the best athletes (although they still may be) but the best at avoiding a virus, which really comes down to luck at this point.

Amei

Record Breaker
They could not sub anyone as Vincent skated in the TE

Well the main point of the post was that Vincent's WD is due to a covid test, he's been in Beijing getting tested daily for like 10-14 days. So how did he get Covid, past research I've heard has said the virus doesn't stay active on surfaces very long, so this was probably through contact; they should have had every single person that is competing in the Olympics arrive at a set date vs. letting athletes/personnel enter the bubble at any point they want. The only rule to entering the bubble is that once they entered it they cannot leave and return.

Matthew

On the Ice
I think this would be within the bounds of reasonable behavior. It was so disappointing to see the holes in the team event field due to delays in clearing Covid protocols. I am glad those athletes are now able to perform in the individual events but it really makes me wish there had been some creative planning to allow them to compete two days earlier.

Especially for sports like Ski Jumping which take place out doors. Maybe it wouldn't work out for short track speedskating but competitions with missing athletes are not exciting.
Couldn't they have a training rink for asymptomatic Covid positive skaters? I mean if he doesn't feel ill why not let him skate?

yyzskater

On the Ice
I feel bad for Vincent. I wonder where he got the virus from? Does he have family in China that he may have visited? Who was he closest with in terms of his sleeping accommodations? I hope this isn’t the start of an outbreak. I was starting to feel uneasy when I saw Daniil G at the event. Made me start doubting the bubble. Also, this team event forces everyone to group together to celebrate after each performance. Kinda wish the team event didn’t exist and it was just individual events this year.

But, unlike Ilia, he at least got to skate and won a silver medal. But, it looked liked Vincent wanted to have a redemption skate in the individual event.

Fingers crossed it is just him that is positive.
Problem is someone may have just caught it the day before leaving for Beijing, or even on the same day as their flight. They would have all the negative PCR test required to fly out. And they probably wouldn't test positive until three or four days later. This is why there are hundreds of covid positive people in the bubble (as per Beijing Olympics Committee's site).

Now, the newly infected are hanging around other athletes in the bubble which then starts possible spread

yyzskater

On the Ice
Problem is someone may have just caught it the day before leaving for Beijing, or even on the same day as their flight. They would have all the negative PCR test required to fly out. And they probably wouldn't test positive until three or four days later. This is why there are hundreds of covid positive people in the bubble (as per Beijing Olympics Committee's site).

Now, the newly infected are hanging around other athletes in the bubble which then starts possible spread
All the while, everyone in the bubble is assuming everyone is negative.

ICeleste

Rinkside
ZHou was already in the start list, so no changes after this.
And Ilia is not a superman to fly from USA to China is minutes. Boys will start on 6 hours, so no time for anything.
What I mean is that at least one alternate should've been sent to China early on. At least one positive covid test was expected. I also believe Tuktamysheva should be in China right now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
When is the medal ceremony?

Medal ceremony for team figure skating is coming up on Tue night (local time in Beijing, I think?).

Which would be Tue morning (tomorrow morning) in the U.S.

Already happened; Vincent missed it. :(

Vincent already missed the mascot ceremony. :cry:
Known as the "flower ceremony" at 2018 OWG, IIRC -- although little mascots also were given to PyeongChang medalists along with flowers.

It also is hard to imagine that Vincent would have a chance of being COVID-clear in time for the medal ceremony. 😭

ETA:

Off topic, but the 2018 ISU schedule referred to "Flower Ceremony" -- although mascots were given instead of (not in addition to) flowers. Sorry that I misremembered seeing flowers in 2018.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Medal ceremony for team figure skating is coming up on Tue night (local time in Beijing, I think?).

Which would be Tue morning (tomorrow morning) in the U.S.

Vincent already missed the mascot ceremony. :cry:
Known as the "flower ceremony" at 2018 OWG, IIRC -- although little mascots also were given to PyeongChang medalists along with flowers.

It also is hard to imagine that Vincent would have a chance of being COVID-clear in time for the medal ceremony. 😭

Thank you for the explanation, such a shame😢

ChiGal

Rinkside
Are the Chinese competitors expected to live by the same over-stringent Covid testing rules as everyone else? Just want to confirm that no nefarious activity is going on...because that has never happened before!! :frown::frown: . I also see that the Chinese federation is allowing audience members from China into the venues, to cheer on their country men and women. A bit of an unfair advantage??

bytheriver

On the Ice
Are the Chinese competitors expected to live by the same over-stringent Covid testing rules as everyone else? Just want to confirm that no nefarious activity is going on...because that has never happened before!! :frown::frown: . I also see that he Chinese federation is allowing audience members from China into the venues, to cheer on their country men and women. A bit of an unfair advantage??
I think they’re also letting in small groups of people to fill out the arena a little. Not that it does much good as it still doesn’t feel Olympic, but an empty arena with only judges and press could be even worse.

Mylesag

Rinkside
Couldn't they have a training rink for asymptomatic Covid positive skaters? I mean if he doesn't feel ill why not let him skate?
That's NOT the way it works. Anyone can LIE. Therefore, what's the point of having quarantine? Nope. Test results have to decide it.

Mylesag

Rinkside
I also see that the Chinese federation is allowing audience members from China into the venues, to cheer on their country men and women. A bit of an unfair advantage??
I am sure it has been done with IOC approval. Many of those are volunteers, workers, and, I believe, other team members who are all living in "the bubble." In Tokyo, at the outdoor events specially, towards the medal rounds, they let a lot of the Olympic workers and volunteers in as "reward" for their "work."

Amei

Record Breaker
That's NOT the way it works. Anyone can LIE. Therefore, what's the point of having quarantine? Nope. Test results have to decide it.

We are talking about should there be an option for people that test positive vs. a forced withdrawal of people that feel totally fine but show as having an active virus in their system.