2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is the 3-3-24 colored schedule wrong for the start time of women's short or am I just not woke up yet (looking at Doris's Time in other areas)
Right now I see 4 discrepancies between Peacock and the color coded schedule/official schedule on website. Peacock has the Pairs SP starting at 11:00 a.m. ET US and the other schedules show 12:00 noon. Peacock shows the Women's SPs at 4:05 p.m. ET and both of the other schedules show 5:00 p.m. The Men's SP is shown at 11:20 a.m. ET on Peacock and the other schedules show 11:10 a.m. The worst problem is the RD which Peacock shows at 11:45 a.m. and both of the other schedules show a start time of 11:20 a.m.

I'm getting my virtual passport ready to do some virtual traveling unless the schedules all agree.

Putting away the virtual passport because the Peacock schedule now matches the ISU/official schedule for all the competitions!!! So happy to see the corrections!

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is anyone's experience with getting autographs/pics at Worlds, if you've been? Is there a best time to catch a skater out in the hallways (e.g. during practice, after the Gala, after their event)? I've gotten a couple pics at Skate Canada before, after the events were finished, but the crowds and venue were a lot smaller. Somehow I don't think I'll be so lucky this time.
My experience is that you're unlikely to get any. The only time I saw any athlete on the concourse was Javi going to a presser, and he was flanked by people.

I don't know about after practices like I do at Nationals. Worlds 2016 was my first major skating event. So I may well have missed some big autograph getting event.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
My experience is that you're unlikely to get any. The only time I saw any athlete on the concourse was Javi going to a presser, and he was flanked by people.

I don't know about after practices like I do at Nationals. Worlds 2016 was my first major skating event. So I may well have missed some big autograph getting event.
I’ve seen posts that the organizers are planning Fan Fest events with, among other things, “alumni autograph” opportunities. That sounds like it will certainly be possible for fans to meet distinguished retired skaters; I’m sure we can all think of Canadian greats we’d enjoy meeting.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OT: Do they have Bear Claws/Paws in Canada?

Love them but allow myself a small taste only.. darn!! Also Hermit cookies…. Now Poutine I can eat my fill.. no worries 😅
never heard about them here... in this sort of danish style pastry...

but we do have patte d'ours, a commercial cookie with a taste of molasses by "Dare"

Here is a "home style recipe"

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Women's:

Japanese Kaori Sakamoto, who won the last two world championships in women's skating, remains the favourite for this year's event, too. With her speedy, fluent skating, her big and flowy jumps and her personality she makes skating look great. After obviously feeling the pressure in the last season she now seems much more confident and at ease again, showing real stability and especially the ability to fight under pressure as well. Her strong results have also brought her a constant reputation bonus which might help her should she stumble a bit. However, she does not have a triple Axel (or a quadruple jump), while some others do.

There is a bunch of other contenders for medals:

Loena Hendrickx might be her no1 challenger. The Belgian is a symbol for sexy programs and mature skating, a very complete skater who just lacks a bit in GOE and stability compared to Sakamoto. She just won the European championships and is therefor the top European skater at worlds. Like Sakamoto she does not have a triple Axel and she will need to be pretty clean.

Young Belgian (the second one!) Nina Pinzarrone, coached by choreographer Benoit Richaud, shows incredible stability despite high technical content for her age especially and that is her big asset. Her skating is still a bit stiff, her programs a bit empty, but you can expect her to be there and try to battle for a medal.

Hana Yoshida, named the best newcomer of the last year, goes for a triple Axel in both her short and her long program – but it only works out half of the time at best. In her „Japanese crane“ free skate she's very stable apart from that 3A though, so expect her to climb up the standings after messing up the „Koo Koo Fun“ short program. And should she land both of those 3As – expect her very, very high up.

Amber Glenn has, maybe a bit surprisingly, won the US championships this season and has, after years of trying, landed her 3A two times in competition. She tends to make significant mistakes, though, so you can expect a rollercoaster (and two great programs) from her.

Isabeau Levito is the second US woman and will likely receive high program component scores. She is still very young and after being very consistent last season this one has not been a stable one at all, so what to expect from her is rather unknown. She is definitely capable of getting a medal if she skates cleanish.

Mone Chiba got another spot among the highly competitive field of Japanese women. She was second at her last Nationals and won her last competition, the 4CC, with extremely strong 214.98 points. Like most Japanese skaters she has very good basic skating skills and strong jumps. She is not a stable skater yet, though.

Chaeyeon Kim looks to have the best chances among the three great Korean skaters. In general the Koreans who have many strong female skaters have not had the best season. Chaeyeon who only started skating rather late, is a fast and light skater who won silver at the last Four Continents Championships and has scored above 200 points repeatedly.

What can be expected: Belgium to make more waves and establish itself as a powerhouse of skating ahead of Canada, the US and Korea. 😮 Or not. There might be some unexpected chaos.

My personal prediction: Kaori Sakamoto is clearly the no1 favourite.
I love about 5 of these ladies and if anyone watched the last group of women at US Nats they know ANYTHING can happen. I would love Kaori to win but no matter what happens, may the best skater win. But I would not say at this point in the season there is a clear favourite. Everyone is tired. Tell me who will be the best at checking their stress. The ice is slippery.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
never heard about them here... in this sort of danish style pastry...

but we do have patte d'ours, a commercial cookie with a taste of molasses by "Dare"

Here is a "home style recipe"

They look sort of like a ginger snap cookie in a bear paw shape.. those would do nicely😋. Sort of lost the taste for pastry over the years but cookies are great and far less lethal.
A side note: never ever saw the sense of adding beautiful fresh fruit of any kind to wads of dough and sugar in pies, pastries or cakes when the fruit by itself is more than enough

Skating91

Medalist
Not long now until Sakamoto confirms she is the greatest skater of the past half a century. The stakes could not be higher.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I love about 5 of these ladies and if anyone watched the last group of women at US Nats they know ANYTHING can happen. I would love Kaori to win but no matter what happens, may the best skater win. But I would not say at this point in the season there is a clear favourite. Everyone is tired. Tell me who will be the best at checking their stress. The ice is slippery.

I agree it's absolutely possible Sakamoto doesn't take it and that a lot of things can happen, but at the same time I would still say that there absolutely is a favourite and it's her. :)

Skating91

Medalist
I agree it's absolutely possible Sakamoto doesn't take it and that a lot of things can happen, but at the same time I would still say that there absolutely is a favourite and it's her. :)
She will be the GOAT at least in the last 50 years if she wins that is without a doubt. I hope there is something very special planned for her if she achieves history.

Then 4 in a row in 2025. You cannot stop her.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm getting my virtual passport ready to do some virtual traveling unless the schedules all agree.

Yes, I am excited to become Dutch again next week. One time I became Japanese by mistake, but I was still fine.

If all else fails, I've got that QQ dude bookmarked, although he was unreliable the last time I checked him out.

LazyFuzai

Laziness is my only love.
On the Ice
Can't see Kaori not winning it.She can handle pressure better this year and is clearly ahead of everyone.Loena is not a big threat this year and US skaters are so unstable.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
What if we post all our hopes and expectations (serious but also not so serious ones) in one thread?

Expectations must be large because there is the largest number of participants in years: according to the entry list I checked today, there are 40 competing in Men (the most represented category :love:), 36 - Women, 24 - Pairs :eek: and 36 - Ice Dance.

My special hope is to stay awake until Deniss comes on ice. Yes, I can watch it later but somebody will necessary spoil it for me. (It's Latvia, you know. I have had previous experience with those telephone calls where the first words are "congratulations that Deniss" or "what a pity that Deniss (screwed up that quad again)")

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I am a huge fan of Russian figure skating and since they are not in this competition, I can't say it's something I will stop what I am doing to watch, more so since the time zone is so different.
I see my country has one entry for the ladies event, which is the only event I really follow closely, not interested in men or pairs, so I hope she does well and has a great skate. From the country I live in, my favorite participant is Kaori Sakamoto, but I wish them all three participants great success and a great skate!
Maybe later when is available online, I will watch the videos to see how my country mate did, and also the 3 Japanese ladies.