2024 Junior Worlds: General Info | Golden Skate

2024 Junior Worlds: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

2024 World Junior Figure Skating Championships​

The 2024 World Junior Figure Skating Championships will take place in February 26 – March 3, 2024, in Taipei City. “Junior Worlds” is an annual figure skating competition sanctioned by the International Skating Union. ISU Member nations select their entries according to their own criteria. Only skaters who have reached the age of fifteen and who have not reached the age of nineteen (or 21 for males in Pairs) before July 1, 2023, may compete.

Skaters/teams participating in the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships must have reached the following Minimum Total Elements Scores during the ongoing season (20223/24) or the immediately preceding seasons (2022/23):

Minimum Technical Scores (TES)
Discipline
Men25.0044.00
Women25.0040.00
Pairs23.0034.00
Ice Dance24.0038.00

The Minimum Technical Elements Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3). The required Minimum Total Elements Score for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance segment to participate in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can only be obtained in International Junior Competitions.

While the Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached separately in each segment (not a total of the two segments), the Minimum Technical Elements Score for each segment may be reached at different competitions. The Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one) days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry deadline).

Last edited by a moderator:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The ticketing info has been updated on the official website:

Ticket info - English
Ticket info - Chinese

So for the competition, all the tickets have to be requested via 'kktix' website only. Note you have to register to verify your phone # and email, before requesting for tickets.

And the ticket request link will be open on Jan 16th, 2024. (@ 12 noon, Taipei time [same as Beijing time])

Also note the time period to get tickets for each category:

Tickets Request Period:

DateSessionOpen PeriodCategory and Segment
February 28th, 2024 (WED)1
1. 2024/1/16 12:00
~2/28 13:20
2. 2024/1/16 12:00
~2/28 21:45
1. Junior Pairs – Short Program
2. Opening Ceremony & Junior Women – Short Program
February 29th, 2024 (THU)3
3. 2024/1/16 12:00
~2/29 18:10
4. 2024/1/16 12:00
~2/29 21:55
3. Junior Men – Short Program
4. Junior Pairs – Free Skating & Victory Ceremony Junior Pairs
March 1st, 2024
(FRI)
5. 2024/1/16 12:00
~ 3/1 16:45
6. 2024/1/16 12:00
~ 3/1 21:40
5. Junior Ice Dance – Rhythm Dance
6. Junior Women – Free Skating & Victory Ceremony Junior Women
March 2nd, 2024
(SAT)
7. 2024/1/16 12:00
~3/2 15:25
8. 2024/1/16 12:00
~ 3/2 20:10
7. Junior Ice Dance – Free Dance & Victory Ceremony Junior Ice Dance
8. Junior Men – Free Skating & Victory Ceremony Junior Men
March 3rd, 2024
(SUN)
99. 2024/1/16 12:00
~ 3/3 17:00
Exhibition Gala

Last edited:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, as I posted yesterday in the Tickets thread, there is a problem, seemingly with foreign phone numbers, registering for an account with KKTIX. Since June 2023 KKTIX requires a registration verification code which they send via SMS. Apparently, many registrants, including me, never receive the SMS. I ran into this problem yesterday and contacted KKTIX customer service but they haven't replied. I also sent an Instagram message to them and posted a comment on the KKTIX post announcing the new requirement and am waiting to hear from them. Based on what I see in comments on their Instagram and in a review of the KKTIX app in the Apple App Store, I am not alone. This problem has been ongoing since the phone verification requirement was implemented in June. As an aside, there is no issue with the email confirmation which is the step prior to the phone.

Needless to say, I’m aggravated. While there is likely only a handful of posters here who are attending WJC, can everyone involved share your experiences, hopefully more positive than mine. And I hope that somehow my problem is resolved. I don't want to arrive in Taipei without tickets.

Btw, there is no mention of ticket cost on the website, so I assume there is no charge as usual.

Last edited:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Didn’t expect to update so soon, but realized my 24 hour account “freeze“ expired. I logged into KKTIX online and the “need for phone verification” flag is still there and a verification code still doesn’t arrive. Maybe I’ll contact the OC on Monday.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Skaters have to be 15 years before the 1th of July 2023 to been old enough says the OP? Has it always been this way? I thought we had seen skaters down to 13 earlier. I mean wasn´t Kamila V 14 when she won in 2020? Did they raise the age requirements for junior along with the senior age?

It seems backwards to me that a skater can do JGP but not be old enough for JWC?

I hope it´s just an error. I could not find anywhere in the announcement about the age requirement, but did not look very closely. I was very happy Daniil Valanov got the JWC minimum and was looking forwards having him there this season, but since he is born 05.12.2008 he is not old enough if he needed to be 15 before July.

Edit: I just saw that Rio Nakata is selected for Japan and he was born 08.09.2008, so the information can´t be correct since wasn´t 15 either before July.

Last edited:

Ivana

On the Ice
Fifteen must be a typo for the lower level, skaters must turn 13 before 1 July 2023 to be eligible for juniors. Anyone born on/before 30 June 2010 is eligible for juniors this season, thus junior worlds as well if they got the limit.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Unfortunately, as I posted yesterday in the Tickets thread, there is a problem, seemingly with foreign phone numbers, registering for an account with KKTIX. Since June 2023 KKTIX requires a registration verification code which they send via SMS. Apparently, many registrants, including me, never receive the SMS. I ran into this problem yesterday and contacted KKTIX customer service but they haven't replied. I also sent an Instagram message to them and posted a comment on the KKTIX post announcing the new requirement and am waiting to hear from them. Based on what I see in comments on their Instagram and in a review of the KKTIX app in the Apple App Store, I am not alone. This problem has been ongoing since the phone verification requirement was implemented in June. As an aside, there is no issue with the email confirmation which is the step prior to the phone.

Needless to say, I’m aggravated. While there is likely only a handful of posters here who are attending WJC, can everyone involved share your experiences, hopefully more positive than mine. And I hope that somehow my problem is resolved. I don't want to arrive in Taipei without tickets.

Btw, there is no mention of ticket cost on the website, so I assume there is no charge as usual.
Sorry to hear about that! If it were not for your post in the Tickets discussion, I wouldn't know that the ticket info has already been released. The CT skating federation has not yet updated the ticketing info for JWC on IG, and I suspect that they're on the New Year vacation until at least after Jan 1st. So hopefully your question/problem will get resolved soon!

BTW, yes the tickets should be free. I won't be worrying too much about not getting the tickets. It's only the matter that if you can get the tickets closer to the ice or further. The other thing that came to my mind is that, perhaps the tickets to Feb 28th (Pair's SP, Women's SP) and on the weekend (such as the Gala) are going to be popular, as Feb 28th is actually a national holiday in Taiwan.

Country
Norway
I wonder if anyone knows if the seeded groups would only be decided by the junior world ranking, or if the world ranking will come in play if the skaters are higher on the world ranking or only on the world ranking list? Several skaters are on both list.

Take an example, a skater is not on the junior world ranking, but has 800 points in world ranking because of mostly doing senior competitions. Will this skater be skating in the first warm up group or will they take the senior points into account?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I guess it´s because of the China - Taiwan conflict? Why else since the finally sent them to JGP this season - they have so many talented Chinese skaters.
Yes, unfortunately. Either China doesn't want to send anyone to Taiwan (as they're not even on the entry list, and have declined to send teams to competitions held in Taiwan in the past), or Taiwan isn't issuing visas (Individual Chinese tourists aren't allowed to enter Taiwan for example).

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Yes, unfortunately. Either China doesn't want to send anyone to Taiwan (as they're not even on the entry list, and have declined to send teams to competitions held in Taiwan in the past), or Taiwan isn't issuing visas (Individual Chinese tourists aren't allowed to enter Taiwan for example).
I'd like to clarify again that it is impossible for Taiwan to NOT issuing Visas, given JWC is an international competition. (Note that individual tourists CAN still enter Taiwan, through special applications.) Besides, it is not the case that Taiwan got the right to host this competition suddenly just in 2024; the Chinese Taipei FS association applied for hosting the event long time ago. So China's skating federation should be prepared for that already.

I just don't buy that it has anything to do with issuing visas from the hosting country's side. But it's more like the case of the Asian U20 Men's Volleyball Championship that was originally assigned to Taiwan, when it was announced last month to be relocated to Indonesia due to China's objection (and Taiwan had to WD, or was "forced" to WD from hosting the event).

Skating91

Medalist
I'd like to clarify again that it is impossible for Taiwan to NOT issuing Visas, given JWC is an international competition. (Note that individual tourists CAN still enter Taiwan, through special applications.) Besides, it is not the case that Taiwan got the right to host this competition suddenly just in 2024; the Chinese Taipei FS association applied for hosting the event long time ago. So China's skating federation should be prepared for that already.

I just don't buy that it has anything to do with issuing visas from the hosting country's side. But it's more like the case of the Asian U20 Men's Volleyball Championship that was originally assigned to Taiwan, when it was announced last month to be relocated to Indonesia due to China's objection (and Taiwan had to WD, or was "forced" to WD from hosting the event).
Punishing innocent athletes, even more so innocent children is quite shameful. The Chinese federation should be punished.

skatingguy

On the Ice
Punishing innocent athletes, even more so innocent children is quite shameful. The Chinese federation should be punished.
There's no requirement that a federation enter skaters in every ISU Championship, but the Chinese federation will already be punished because they'll have considerably fewer Junior Grand Prix entries than they would have had they competed.

Skating91

Medalist
True, but it's their own athletes who also have to bear the consequences of the actions of the people in power.
Also, these Chinese skaters should offered spots to skate under a neutral flag if not able to skate for their country due to politics. So unfair to these skaters to not participate in the world championship. They dedicated everything to the sport.