Ladies SP - 2014 European Championships | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2014 European Championships

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite part of Julia's SP is the last 40 seconds. There is so much going on and it's like the firework finale. So keep in mind some fans actually prefer that to slow over emoting skating. She does a good job of countering this in her FS which has more beauty and grace to it. I for one wish more people skated like Julia but then she wouldn't be so unique. I have no complaints about the scoring here and actually think team Julia just tries to stay close after the SP while banking on the FS. I'm a bit biased though.

The pre-Olympic politicking has started. :(

I still can't believe how Kostner isn't firmly in the lead. Technically, I'd probably have her third as well but way ahead on the PCS.

Obviously something you don't. People have spelled it out for you numerous times but you seem to have selective retention when it comes to such facts. Julia was great but Adelina skates bigger than her and that's what it comes down to.

And I have tried to spell out precisely which PCS aspects Sotnikova is weak at. You don't get to pick only the good things or only the bad things. Everything should get considered.

elif

Medalist
Julia's last spin got 1.43 GOE. I think this is first time she got that score this year. She is usually getting 1.50.:)

Sotnikova got all +2 from judges for her steps and she got 1.00 positive GOE. Julia got three +1 and six +2 from judges and got 1.20 positive GOE.:think:

treeloving

Medalist
Whilst all of the above is true, there were also things she was not good at:

She had slightly raised and rounded shoulders, producing a 'turtle neck' effect.

Her lines weren't always fully extended.

Her movement was not executed in time to the music a lot of the time.

Her movement was quite generic. It lacked style and character, appropriate to the music. It wasn't very sharp or staccato (which the music was) and I didn't see any 'Spanish characetr' in it. If the music was off, would you be able to guess what kind of music she was skating to (not judging by the dress)? I don't think so.

I agree, I will never understand judge love for Adelina, her score margin to Carolina is just laughable.

I hope Kostner's medal chance will not be diminished as Russian always score well in European, but since OG is in Sochi.......

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULTS

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 70.73 Short Program
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 68.97 Short Program, 2nd copy
4. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 64.09 Short Program
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 58.64 Short Program
6. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 57.38 Short Program
7. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 54.78 Short Program
8. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.68 Short Program
9. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 54.25 Short Program
10. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 53.02 Short Prorgram

Elaine

On the Ice
I'm not a huge fan of Carolina's new SP. Actually I just don't like the music :p But Caro was soooo elegant and gorgeous. Love her hair and the BACK SPIRAL! I think it can be her signature (not the risky salchaw on the last minute):love:

Top 3(Yuna/Mao/Caro) have same sorts of SPs for this Olympic, it will be interesting to compare them back to back at the Games.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
My take after watching the top 3 SPs again:

1. Adelina - clearly my favorite. huge jumps, lots of energy, and even like the outfit.
2. Caro - lovely flow and edge, but she is not skating to the music IMO
3. Julia - clearly in a lower tier in terms of PCS

Florencito

Medalist
Shock of the day was Julia ending up in second and SMILING instead of frowning :eek::laugh:
Anyway, still pissed that Valentina's highest ocs is a meager 7.25 :scowl:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Whilst all of the above is true, there were also things she was not good at:

1) She had slightly raised and rounded shoulders, producing a 'turtle neck' effect.

2) Her lines weren't always fully extended.

3) Her movement was not executed in time to the music a lot of the time.

4) Her movement was quite generic. It lacked style and character, appropriate to the music. It wasn't very sharp or staccato (which the music was) and I didn't see any 'Spanish characetr' in it. If the music was off, would you be able to guess what kind of music she was skating to (not judging by the dress)? I don't think so.

1) I don't see a raised should problem, and she certainly doesn't look like a turtle to me.
2) Her extension is better than Caro at times, and worse at times.
3) Almost no one's is, including Carolina, Mao, and Yuna.
4) Just because you skate to Carmen doesn't mean you have to do cheesy flirty moves.

I'm not saying she is perfect on these criteria, but not noticeably worse than her peers. What I do think Caro is better than Adelina at is SS, particularly speed, body control and edge control. However, things like PE and CH are largely affected by how well a program comes across and Adelina sells her SP well.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Judge #2 gave Carolina PCs in the low 7s range.

And I have tried to spell out precisely which PCS aspects Sotnikova is weak at. You don't get to pick only the good things or only the bad things. Everything should get considered.

Agreed. Overall though, Adelina meets the criteria. Her shoulders don't give her a terrible hunched look on the ice a la Christina Gao. Her posture isn't perfection but it's not bad either. Considering most skaters don't fully extend or have ugly leg lines, I think Adelina's extension and lines are excellent relative to the field. I never said she meets every single requirement but in the end, she gets enough checks in the column to get the higher PCS. When she skates cleanly she consistently scores higher than the rest of the non-veteran-veterans regardless of if she's skating in Russia or not. Obviously she's doing something right!

I agree Carolina should have been ahead by more but I don't consider that a massive overscoring of Adelina; I think Carolina was actually underscored in PCS. Not Adelina's fault...it's the judges'.

wallylutz

Medalist
The pre-Olympic politicking has started. :(

I still can't believe how Kostner isn't firmly in the lead. Technically, I'd probably have her third as well but way ahead on the PCS.

Nah, the judging is fair here. Kostner's SP left a lot to be desired. It's a feel good program designed to emphasize on her beauty and her long flow edges, almost a little too stereotypical. The lack of attentions such as her spins and her in-betweens below the waist really hurt her.

alebi

Medalist
Even with small mistakes, Carolina scored more points on technical than components which is really strange for her... I'm so curious to know how much Kim or Asada would have scored with this panel but unfortunately this is impossible, we'll know in Sochi :rolleye:
Julia you're my little gem, thank you for this beautiful performance :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Shock of the day was Julia ending up in second and SMILING instead of frowning :eek::laugh:
Anyway, still pissed that Valentina's highest ocs is a meager 7.25 :scowl:

she is happy not take a lead, and she sometimes feel nervous in the SP

wallylutz

Medalist
Even with small mistakes, Carolina scored more points on technical than components which si really strange for her... I'm so curious to know how much Kim or Asada would have scored with this panel but unfortunately this is impossible, we'll know in Sochi :rolleye:
Julia you're my little gem, thank you for this beautiful performance :)

She skated a cop out / feel-good-music-skater-is-so-beautiful program with little substance and received a PCS in kind, seems fair to me.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Sotnikova got all +2 from judges for her steps and she got 1.00 positive GOE. Julia got three +1 and six +2 from judges and got 1.20 positive GOE.:think:

If I understand your :think: correctly, and you're asking why there's a difference between the judge's mark average and the GOE, it has to do with the base value of an element.
You'll see that the lower the base value of the element, the lower the -GOE for a -3.
Even if every judge gives -3, the GOE will still be higher than -3.
If a skater gets -3s from every judge for a 3T, the GOE will be -2.10
Same goes for the other way round: If you do a beautiful 2Lz and every judge gives you +3, your GOE points still won't be GOE+3. I think you'll get sth like GOE+1.50