Ladies SP - 2014 European Championships | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2014 European Championships

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adelina's SP just bores me compared to her FS. It's like you could play any old song and you wouldn't have to change anything except the final arm movements. She's a great jumper and face over emoter which is what people really seem to want these days. Can't wait to see how this plays out. I kinda hope Julia gets burnt again. She seems to thrive and improve herself ever time. Very exciting times in this sport. I'd say a good 6-8 people at least are serious threats for a medal in Sochi. Very exciting.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
if you're still watching/listening to the feeds: the opening ceremony is on, and I just love this piece of music: The Storm by Havasi.
so powerful

rollerblade

Record Breaker
She is getting 6.00 point base value for lutz and 5.3 for flip. If she changes this to flip (5.3) and loop (5.1) this is not going to be a advantage. She is losing +1.00 GOE but judges usually not taking away any more points than that.

I was talking about the combo. IF she had done a 3F/3T, base value 9.40 (I think?), with positive GOE (let's say +1.0, since Sotnikova received +1.40 for the easy 3T/3T), her combo would have gotten her 10.40 instead of the 9.90 for wrong edge entry.

That said, I rarely look at the protocols in detail, so I really don't know how they assigned base value of combo jumps, or how they determine GOE. Was just trying to see if Julia could avoid throwing away points she did not have to.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
She is getting 6.00 point base value for lutz and 5.3 for flip. If she changes this to flip (5.3) and loop (5.1) this is not going to be a advantage. She is losing +1.00 GOE but judges usually not taking away any more points than that.
I was talking about the combo. IF she had done a 3F/3T, base value 9.40 (I think?), with positive GOE (let's say +1.0, since Sotnikova received +1.40 for the easy 3T/3T), her combo would have gotten her 10.40 instead of the 9.90 for wrong edge entry.

You're not allowed to do the same jump twice in the SP (except for a 3T3T; when it's within the same jumping pass), so if she did a 3F3T combo, she'd have to replace her single 3F with something else.
So elif is right, what you're suggesting would be to replace [3Lz3T + 3F] by [3F3T + 3Lo] since the 3Lo is next in line in the value ranking of jumps.
That would be 0.90 points lower without the e call. If she knew for a fact that she'd get an e call for her Lz, then this scenario might be slightly better. BUT she doesn't always get the e call, it's really close most of the time, and the Olympics will be in Russia. (not saying judging is biased, but... judging is biased) So she must have strong hopes that she won't get the e call. (she actually did also get the e call for her F a few times! ;) )
Also, I don't know how her success rate of the Lo is in comparison to the Lz: She looks like she nails every jump no matter what, but maybe she feels the Lo is a bit more risky than the Lz and F?

That said, I rarely look at the protocols in detail, so I really don't know how they assigned base value of combo jumps, or how they determine GOE. Was just trying to see if Julia could avoid throwing away points she did not have to.
They just add the individual base value of both jumps:
base value for a 3Lz = 6 points
base value for a 3T = 4.10 points
base value for a 3Lz3T = 10.10 points

katymay

Medalist
Adelina's SP just bores me compared to her FS. It's like you could play any old song and you wouldn't have to change anything except the final arm movements. She's a great jumper and face over emoter which is what people really seem to want these days. Can't wait to see how this plays out. I kinda hope Julia gets burnt again. She seems to thrive and improve herself ever time. Very exciting times in this sport. I'd say a good 6-8 people at least are serious threats for a medal in Sochi. Very exciting.

Respectfully disagree-she doesn't overdo, but I think the program is elegant in its simplicity. Very beautiful girl, nice big jumps, and nice-but not overdone-skating skills. She and Julia are fun to watch, and either could end up top three in Sochi. (or both of them) Can't wait to see how the longs play out.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These two honestly are the reason I starting watching the sport again. I honestly get enough figure skating at the rinks 4-5 days a week and stopped following internationally altogether. Now that I'm back, I'm starting to wonder how long of an investment this will be watching their careers unfold. Julia could potentially be in her 3rd Olympics at the age of 23. Same for Adelina but she'll be 25. I know it's unlikely for one/both, especially with the flood of talent Russia has yet to unleash, but one can dream.:popcorn:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nice start for the ladies, I thought, just speaking in terms of enjoy the skating, not analyzing the scores. I really DO enjoy Sotnikova. Maybe she over-emotes in her face -- maybe -- but to me she seems pretty natural in her expressions, and while performing her choreo. Not that it matters, but of the Russian ladies I consistently enjoy Sotnikova, whereas with the others I can have very different reactions to the same programs over time.

Caro's program did seem a little empty but agree she probably likes being just off the lead, and isn't the difference first to third less than 2 points? She does seem very, very comfortable with this program, so that should help her going into Sochi.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULTS - Updated

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 70.73 Short Program
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 68.97 Short Program, 2nd copy, 3rd Copy
4. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 64.09 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 58.64 Short Program
6. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 57.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 54.78 Short Program
8. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.68 Short Program
9. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 54.25 Short Program
10. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 53.02 Short Prorgram

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULTS - Updated

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 70.73 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 68.97 Short Program, 2nd copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 64.09 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 58.64 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 57.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 54.78 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.68 Short Program
9. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 54.25 Short Program
10. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 53.02 Short Prorgram
11. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 52.55 Short Program
12. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 50.42
13. Laurine LECAVELIER (FRA) - 49.12
14. Nicole RAJICOVA (SVK) - 49.00 Short Program
15. Roberta RODEGHIERO (ITA) - 48.52 Short Program
16. Eliska BREZINOVA (CZE) - 47.10
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 47.01 Short Program

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
She skated a cop out / feel-good-music-skater-is-so-beautiful program with little substance and received a PCS in kind, seems fair to me.

Your points might not be completely ungrounded, but Carolina's performance in PCS wise should have been higher than Adelina. Adelina's move glaringly lacks flow and maturity compared to Carolina's.

RABID

Final Flight
Your points might not be completely ungrounded, but Carolina's performance in PCS wise should have been higher than Adelina. Adelina's move glaringly lacks flow and maturity compared to Carolina's.

Maybe a sign of things to come?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sotnikova's PCS is shameful

Julia underscored in PCS :disagree:
should score in 32+ range

Don't worry, the Russians will prop up her PCS score higher than it should be (i.e. 32+ range) in Sochi, just like Cup of Russia and Nationals. ;)

Yet again, a clean Sotnikova beats a clean Lipnitskaia (and yet again, the vast majority of us aren't surprised and you're, well, the same as ever :laugh:).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Luckily this isn't russian nationals and Julia is a in a position to win in the fs and overall because sotnikova likes to leave out jumps in her free skates.

Yay Alena! Leonova is on!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wow, Adelina's PCS is within .1 of a clean and pristine Carolina's
I never thought it was possible. But with figure skating, I suppose I should expect her PCS in Sochi to be 3 points higher.

I think this might be my final season watching figure skating. After this year, all the good ones retire. The leftovers like Julia make my skin crawl.