2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Neither was at Cup of China. Are you thinking of GPF? Cause that was the only Grand Prix event they went head to head.

desertskates

Medalist
I pretty much agree. Gracie skated well--very well, in fact. But she is not on the same level as the others, including (at this event) Anna Pogo. She still has a ways to go in terms of presentation. And I agree she needs to work on her flow out of her jumps. Isn't that one of Frank's specialties?

What I noticed about Gracie is that she seemed so tight. Like perhaps nerves or she's not feeling well or something like that. I do think her score was too high, but we'll see how it all shakes out in the long.

sk8in

Match Penalty
What I noticed about Gracie is that she seemed so tight. Like perhaps nerves or she's not feeling well or something like that. I do think her score was too high, but we'll see how it all shakes out in the long.
It is all about that triple flip for Gracie. She fell on it at Nationals, and at the Olympics. She needs to fix that jump and she'll regain confidence.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
I am afraid Mao had several mistakes

Mao ASADA (JPN)

Music: Nocturne in E flat major op. 9, no. 2 Andante by Frederic Chopin

Lavender dress w/ racerback, sparkly neckline

3A - looked solid!
3F
CCoSp
FCSp
3Lo+2Lo
StSq
LSp

Wow, beautiful skate. Love to see her come back from the Olys like this! Should take the lead easily

SP: 42.81+35.85 = 78.66 (WR), in 1st (out of 22)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should see her triple flip jump, which she pretends to do so. She is supposed to jump with toe, yet she jumps with full blade making it look like salchow jump. Additionally her 3axel is flawed for its under-rotation. 3axel requires 3.5 rotations while mao barely made up to 3 rotations. Nevertheless, I think she deserves the gold in this competition. All these scores are to cover up the inflated scores in Sochi... And when top 3 gets 220 and higher at this world's, people will start feeling that Adelina's score wasn't that high... ISU's plan to keep people from saying "inflated scores". I have no intention to criticize Mao but the judges. This inflated scores are extremely unreasonable. 

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
You should see her triple flip jump, which she pretends to do so. She is supposed to jump with toe, yet she jumps with full blade making it look like salchow jump. Additionally her 3axel is flawed for its under-rotation. 3axel requires 3.5 rotations while mao barely made up to 3 rotations. Nevertheless, I think she deserves the gold in this competition. All these scores are to cover up the inflated scores in Sochi... And when top 3 gets 220 and higher at this world's, people will start feeling that Adelina's score wasn't that high... ISU's plan to keep people from saying "inflated scores". I have no intention to criticize Mao but the judges. This inflated scores are extremely unreasonable. 

Here we go again... it would have been weird if no such post would gave popped up :biggrin:

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
I am not criticizing mao's performance, but judges should be blamed for mishandling their jobs. They should have caught mao's under-rotated 3axel and awkward 3flip. Mao rotated barely 3 times when she is supposed to rotate 3.5 times. On the 3flip, she jumped with full blade making it look like salchow jump when she is suppose to jump with toe.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not criticizing mao's performance, but judges should be blamed for mishandling their jobs. They should have caught mao's under-rotated 3axel and awkward 3flip. Mao rotated barely 3 times when she is supposed to rotate 3.5 times. On the 3flip, she jumped with full blade making it look like salchow jump when she is suppose to jump with toe.

You can't take off from forward edge and land on a backward edge without doing a half rotation. If she only did three rotations, she couldn't have landed the jump on a back edge.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Here we go again... it would have been weird if no such post would gave popped up :biggrin:
I've never seen this variation before though. In the past most such posts would claim that all her triples were secretly loops. The triple floop, the triple Sloop, the triple toop, the triple fLooptz, and the triple Axloop.

jkun

Final Flight
You can't take off from forward edge and land on a backward edge without doing a half rotation. If she only did three rotations, she couldn't have landed the jump on a back edge.

I think Cuon-alpinus is referring to the fact that Mao rotates about a 1/4 rotation on the ice before taking off, and 1/4 rotation on the ice on the landing, which is still considered a 3A.

Axel take offs that are not straight-edge take offs often have this 1/4 rotation on the ice prior to take-off. It is considered part of technique. That being said, Mao's 3A yesterday was awfully close to the 1/4 mark on her landing. But when in doubt, the judges should always side with the skater, which I am glad they did. I think her score is well-deserved.

lbc2138

On the Ice

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a71b92ee77b7abae15eb0f477be25687/tumblr_n33jeeUVlV1sjumfvo1_400.gif <- Triple Axel, it looks pretty rotated to me

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ad32ced00713edf488be4dfc6d93c144/tumblr_n33jeeUVlV1sjumfvo3_400.gif <- Triple Flip, if you go frame by frame she clearly uses her toe-pick but she does end up using a bit more of the front of her blade. hmmm

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Cuon-alpinus is referring to the fact that Mao rotates about a 1/4 rotation on the ice before taking off, and 1/4 rotation on the ice on the landing, which is still considered a 3A.

Axel take offs that are not straight-edge take offs often have this 1/4 rotation on the ice prior to take-off. It is considered part of technique. That being said, Mao's 3A yesterday was awfully close to the 1/4 mark on her landing. But when in doubt, the judges should always side with the skater, which I am glad they did. I think her score is well-deserved.

You are probably right, but the poster did question whether she did three full rotations. I also agree that Mao deserved the benefit of the doubt.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What amazing performances by Asada and Kostner! Fully deserving of those huge scores. Sotnikova certainly made the right choice to skip worlds.

Lipnitskaya was overscored, but I have gotten so used to that I am numb from the effect by now. I would have had Gold and Suzuki above her.

The judges really hammered Wagner I felt. It is clear her stint as #1 American and a world medal contenders are fully over, and she will be back to fighting to make major teams like she was before 2012 now.

jkun

Final Flight
You are probably right, but the poster did question whether she did three full rotations. I also agree that Mao deserved the benefit of the doubt.

I mean she technically only did 3 full rotations in the air, but because of the technique of an axel jump (because it is an edge jump), her jump was rightfully a 3A.

sk8in

Match Penalty
I mean she technically only did 3 full rotations in the air, but because of the technique of an axel jump (because it is an edge jump), her jump was rightfully a 3A.
I don't think this is true. Her blade came off the ice facing to the left, and landed it facing to the right. She did not enter the jump from the same direction she skated into it. So she pre-rotated her skate on the ice (maybe that's poor technique---but it isn't necessarily wrong), but she made 3.5 full revolutions in the air. If she had taken off facing away from the camera shot, it could have been almost a quad.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mao uses more crossovers, and has less speed. Not by a considerable amount in either case, but it's true. This is coming from a Mao uber.

This is not true at all. Mao has 13 crossovers in her SP. Carolina has 19. Carolina does have more speed, though, yes.

Focusing so intently on programs in this way is missing the whole picture, though. The number of crossovers in a program, looked at solely by itself, has nothing to do with performance, choreography, or interpretation. I feel that Mao's performance here beat Carolina's in all of those areas. Carolina does deserve to be ahead on skating skills. I wouldn't put her ahead on transitions. She does "nothing" into 2 of her jumping passes, whereas Mao only does "nothing" into 1 of her jumps.