2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program

usethis2

Medalist
You sound defensive. Losing your hype?

You have no choice but to defend yourself when you are confronted by craziness. See for yourself. :biggrin:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...roversy-Thread&p=891442&viewfull=1#post891442

Then I went for my sanity check;

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?29910-Yu-Na-Kim&p=891779&viewfull=1#post891779

I thought s/he was going to come over to my house to bite me.

P.S. OK I'll stop. Sorry I won't make any more off-topic comment in this thread. I promise!

jand0387

Rinkside
Congrats to mao, it was her best sp ever. But what is it with this forum either degrading Yuna, or ignoring her massive presence in figure skating history (treating her as if she didn't even exist), or making it sound like her record was easily "meant" to be broken? Yuna's record was not an easy accomplishment. And why is it that appreciating Yuna makes you a Yuna fan? It seems a great deal of people are maobots or carobots or Juliabots to that same logic... People who argue that this forum is meant to for "figure skating fans" of all of the skaters out there, but i see stupid attacks going back and forth between the fans of different skaters. But what's interesting is Mao fans, Caro fans, Julia fans get along -- they just bash on Yuna fans - "Yuna" is like a taboo here - you mention something positive about her and people immediately react in a negative way. What did Yuna ever do anyway? If you're not her fan, that's fine. But to a lot of people, she's still very highly appreciated. And for what it's worth, if the scores were this inflated for everybody including Yuna, she could have broken the record. I'm happy for Mao's comeback, but I really don't appreciate the tone when people say "mah, Yuna whatever... her record was stupid anyway - glad Mao beat it..."

peg

Medalist
Osmond is much more simple to figure out. That spin that she missed did her in and dropped her multiple places. She scored .39 where most people get at least 3pts and someone like Yulia gets 4.2 on her layback. If you blow an element the way she did I think it's fair to lose PCS scores in everything except Transitions/linking footwork.
So why is it that transitions was her lowest component score and performance and interpretation were her two highest?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to mao, it was her best sp ever. But what is it with this forum either degrading Yuna, or ignoring her massive presence in figure skating history (treating her as if she didn't even exist), or making it sound like her record was easily "meant" to be broken? Yuna's record was not an easy accomplishment. And why is it that appreciating Yuna makes you a Yuna fan? It seems a great deal of people are maobots or carobots or Juliabots to that same logic... People who argue that this forum is meant to for "figure skating fans" of all of the skaters out there, but i see stupid attacks going back and forth between the fans of different skaters. But what's interesting is Mao fans, Caro fans, Julia fans get along -- they just bash on Yuna fans - "Yuna" is like a taboo here - you mention something positive about her and people immediately react in a negative way. What did Yuna ever do anyway? If you're not her fan, that's fine. But to a lot of people, she's still very highly appreciated. And for what it's worth, if the scores were this inflated for everybody including Yuna, she could have broken the record. I'm happy for Mao's comeback, but I really don't appreciate the tone when people say "mah, Yuna whatever... her record was stupid anyway - glad Mao beat it..."

I've always been a Yuna fan!! I've never said anything but great things about her and have nothing but respect for her. The truth is there are several fanatic fans that say mean things about other skaters. No need to list examples. Id rather focus on my love for all the girls in spite of Yulia being my #1. I can't tell you why but some people just like certain skaters and just plain don't like others and choose less than nice ways to say it. I wouldn't take it personal. Maybe they think its funny and don't realize the impact it has on people to see someone they like degraded. I still haven't seen anything really mean about Yuna on this board but merely the belief that maybe she wasn't as good as she could have been. I think that's fair. Ill stick up for her all day if that makes you feel any better. :)

EDIT-While I've never seen Juliabot before I really really prefer "Yuliatron" if you don't mind. Thx!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So why is it that transitions was her lowest component score and performance and interpretation were her two highest?

Maybe she blew the transition into the spin? (That's a joke) I haven't watched her skate again but I will. I really liked her SP and was shocked when she missed that spin. She really does get unfairly murdered on transitions. Same thing happened in Sochi if my memory is correct. I guess it's not so simple:slink:[

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
congrats to mao!

can't agree more.

tmdsiddl

Rinkside
I've always been a Yuna fan!! I've never said anything but great things about her and have nothing but respect for her. The truth is there are several fanatic fans that say mean things about other skaters. No need to list examples. Id rather focus on my love for all the girls in spite of Yulia being my #1. I can't tell you why but some people just like certain skaters and just plain don't like others and choose less than nice ways to say it. I wouldn't take it personal. Maybe they think its funny and don't realize the impact it has on people to see someone they like degraded. I still haven't seen anything really mean about Yuna on this board but merely the belief that maybe she wasn't as good as she could have been. I think that's fair. Ill stick up for her all day if that makes you feel any better. :)
EDIT-While I've never seen Juliabot before I really really prefer "Yuliatron" if you don't mind. Thx!

As a Yuna's fan, it is so sad people just criticizing against each other. We shouldn't blame skaters for any inflated scores they get. It is judges who should be blamed for.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
That look of Yulia's can be downright scary. During Europeans (can't remember now if it was the SP or the FS) the camera zoomed in on her face just as she took her starting pose and I just thought holy ****! :eek: Repeating my comments from other threads, she is one very determined young lady and a helluva ferocious competitor. Wish I had her strength of will -- and I wouldn't want to meet her across a negotiating table, either.

Come to think of it, if Yulia ever decided to do battle w/ Speedy & the ISU, my money would be on Yulia for sure! :bow:

I love your comments. I burst out laughing and couldn't stop. My bet would be one Yulia too. :bow:

When I was watching her program again today, during the slow-motion replay I noticed something that may be part of the reason why her jumps are better. Did you see how her free leg extended on the landing of the triple-toe and the triple flip. It was basically at hip-level. Ive always liked her 2Axel, but this one had the best flow and distance. Also, at competitions the commentators mentioned that her arc on the landing on the triple-triple was small; in comparison to Yuna's, they specifically said. Here, the landing arc was much wider than normal.

hurrah

Medalist
I was just re-watching Julia's SP, and I think that she may have lipped her flip attempt. I did think that she did do a lutz, though barely. Maybe fixing the lutz is now messing up her flip. I dunno. It was really close.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
You have no choice but to defend yourself when you are confronted by craziness. See for yourself. :biggrin:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...roversy-Thread&p=891442&viewfull=1#post891442

Then I went for my sanity check;

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?29910-Yu-Na-Kim&p=891779&viewfull=1#post891779

I thought s/he was going to come over to my house to bite me.

P.S. OK I'll stop. Sorry I won't make any more off-topic comment in this thread. I promise!

Who was going to bite you? You called Adelina a hippo, the poster called it a low insults, which is what it is. You started whining that calling your "hippo" an insult is insulting you. You never apologize for insulting Adelina because you never recogined it as insult, you keep calling it off-topic remark, proving once again "different rules for different folks." Yuna Kingdom of Hypocricy. Her fans embarrass her, humiliate her more than any haters ever did, do or will do.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I feel bad for Adelina also. Russian skating union is hindering her to proceed into this world championship. Adelina said she wants to gather all the golds but Russia skating union said no. Why??????? and I agree with cuon that adelina could have been more humble. and where can I find the source that PR person pulled her out?
Ade is my favorite and I am sure she left the interview room while Kim was speaking because she got pulled out of their by her federation or the Russian media. Should she have stayed put while Kim was speaking? Of course. But something happened and I bet it was her federation taking her elsewhere.

winky97

Medalist
Ade is my favorite and I am sure she left the interview room while Kim was speaking because she got pulled out of their by her federation or the Russian media. Should she have stayed put while Kim was speaking? Of course. But something happened and I bet it was her federation taking her elsewhere.

Ok Scott512-help me out. Exactly what it is about Adelina that you love so much? Please don't think that I am trying to attack her because I am not. I went to her fan thread to try to get a feel for why all the love for her, but it did not help me and I did not want to pose this question there because I did not want it to appear I was hating on her in her appreciation thread because that is rude. Of all the top ladies, I feel her the least. I keep trying, because I honestly love good skating and though I am American, I am not nationalistic when it comes to cheering for skaters. I can appreciate many skaters and am not anyone's "bot". I love Yuna and Mao the same and see no reason why it has to be either or. I have a fondness for Yulia. Carolina is lovely and I am glad she was able to wind down her career with success. I have high hopes for Gracie and Polina, but Ashley probably needs to hang it up. Anyway, if you don't mind, what performances of Adelina's do I need to watch to perhaps appreciate her. Her Olympic performances did nothing for me and you and I are on opposite sides of the fence on that outcome that even. I however am open to seeing what I am missing. I am asking you because, from what I have seen from your posts you seem mellow and I am liking my chances of not getting a hostile defensive response. Thanks in advance and Take care.

miki88

Medalist
What's so wrong in Mao breaking the WR? Her base value is insane and no one can match it. We all knew that if by some miracle she pulls it together she is unbeatable purely thanks to TES. I am sorry, but if Adelina could score 74+ with a frickin 3T-3T, 3F and 2A, Mao's 78+ with 3A, 3F and 3L-2L combo in the second half actually seems underscored.
Her SP had everything today, PCS wise very strong, spins were great and fast, steps were amazing and her jumps were particularly strong. This is the hardest SP layout any lady has ever done. Her WR is well deserved.
I love Carolina but 2 points over Mao on PCS was a bit too much.
I am so curious how Adelina would have placed with a clean SP here. I am guessing somewhere near Julia.

ITA. Although not surprised, it's interesting how the criticisms come from the same group of 'experts', those who can always "spot" errors in her skates that the judges miss. :roll eye:

If things are judged comparatively, neither her GOE or PCS seemed overly generous. She could have also gotten higher PCS in both segments, especially the the LP.

Lionhart

Spectator
And for what it's worth, if the scores were this inflated for everybody including Yuna, she could have broken the record. I'm happy for Mao's comeback, but I really don't appreciate the tone when people say "mah, Yuna whatever... her record was stupid anyway - glad Mao beat it..."

It's not just people saying, "Glad Mao beat it." There are also people who are saying, "I didn't want Mao to beat Yuna's record, ugh.." As fans we have to hear this stuff all the time. But, it's not just Yuna getting the heat.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Ok Scott512-help me out. Exactly what it is about Adelina that you love so much? Please don't think that I am trying to attack her because I am not. I went to her fan thread to try to get a feel for why all the love for her, but it did not help me and I did not want to pose this question there because I did not want it to appear I was hating on her in her appreciation thread because that is rude. Of all the top ladies, I feel her the least. I keep trying, because I honestly love good skating and though I am American, I am not nationalistic when it comes to cheering for skaters. I can appreciate many skaters and am not anyone's "bot". I love Yuna and Mao the same and see no reason why it has to be either or. I have a fondness for Yulia. Carolina is lovely and I am glad she was able to wind down her career with success. I have high hopes for Gracie and Polina, but Ashley probably needs to hang it up. Anyway, if you don't mind, what performances of Adelina's do I need to watch to perhaps appreciate her. Her Olympic performances did nothing for me and you and I are on opposite sides of the fence on that outcome that even. I however am open to seeing what I am missing. I am asking you because, from what I have seen from your posts you seem mellow and I am liking my chances of not getting a hostile defensive response. Thanks in advance and Take care.
Hi Winky. I am pretty mellow and I try to write that way too. I am not nationalistic when it comes to individual sports either. Yeah we don't agree on Sotnikova so why debate it that's been done a bunch here and elsewhere? Obviously I loved her guts, fire, emotion and clutch skating in Sochi. She way out performed her career best. I think it's a Russian thing. Look how Yulia came from nowhere to be special this season and now look at Pogorilaya at worlds she was super after an average junior career to almost medal at worlds. I think the Russian girls have something inside them from belief, work ethic and toughness to do these things. Adelina has those qualities and I think besides the controversial scoring in Sochi she skated by far the best in her life and no one expected that and that as well as the home crowd noise lifted her up high score wise and performance wise. Did anyone expect her to make the top 5 going in? I don't think so. I think who won the gold from seemingly nowhere shocked a lot of people. And no one was expecting her to do well in the free skate. I don't think anything will come of the complaint from South Korea. That said I think the judges need to lose their anonymity and more needs to be said about how the top 2 scores and the lowest 2 scores don't count in the scoring. So if the Russian and Ukranian judges scored Adelina the highest and Kim the lowest their scores would not have counted.

Also there was so much pressure on her when Lipnitskaia melted down under the pressure. Ade is she was and still is the underdog in most cases. She was pushed to the side for Yulia in the team competition by the federation. Other reasons I like her is she shows emotion, smiles a lot and is not just another zombie athlete and she also says what she feels. I find that refreshing. Some don't. I can't wait to hear what Adelina has to say about her Sochi gold, the some but not all Yuna fans who have attacked her incessantly online even on her own online sites and the official protest from South Korea. I would love to hear what Adelina has to say about all of this and if she can get out from under the grasp of her coaches, trainers and federation for a short time we may find out.

We may not agree on this Winky. But it's not a big deal. I don't disrespect you or anyone here. But with all the heat coming her way I and others will speak highly of this lovely young lady and all that she has done early in her career. I hope she keeps the hunger and does 8 triples in the next season and improves all aspects of her skating. The thing that bothers me most is not some people thinking she didn't deserve gold (that's a matter of opinion) it's that some people think she skated average or badly. Puzzling.

Anyway I hope that helps Winky.

winky97

Medalist
Hi Winky. I am pretty mellow and I try to write that way too. I am not nationalistic when it comes to individual sports either. Yeah we don't agree on Sotnikova so why debate it that's been done a bunch here and elsewhere? Obviously I loved her guts, fire, emotion and clutch skating in Sochi. She way out performed her career best. I think it's a Russian thing. Look how Yulia came from nowhere to be special this season and now look at Pogorilaya at worlds she was super after an average junior career to almost medal at worlds. I think the Russian girls have something inside them from belief, work ethic and toughness to do these things. Adelina has those qualities and I think besides the controversial scoring in Sochi she skated by far the best in her life and no one expected that and that as well as the home crowd noise lifted her up high score wise and performance wise. Did anyone expect her to make the top 5 going in? I don't think so. I think who won the gold from seemingly nowhere shocked a lot of people. And no one was expecting her to do well in the free skate. I don't think anything will come of the complaint from South Korea. That said I think the judges need to lose their anonymity and more needs to be said about how the top 2 scores and the lowest 2 scores don't count in the scoring. So if the Russian and Ukranian judges scored Adelina the highest and Kim the lowest their scores would not have counted.

Also there was so much pressure on her when Lipnitskaia melted down under the pressure. Ade is she was and still is the underdog in most cases. She was pushed to the side for Yulia in the team competition by the federation. Other reasons I like her is she shows emotion, smiles a lot and is not just another zombie athlete and she also says what she feels. I find that refreshing. Some don't. I can't wait to hear what Adelina has to say about her Sochi gold, the some but not all Yuna fans who have attacked her incessantly online even on her own online sites and the official protest from South Korea. I would love to hear what Adelina has to say about all of this and if she can get out from under the grasp of her coaches, trainers and federation for a short time we may find out.

We may not agree on this Winky. But it's not a big deal. I don't disrespect you or anyone here. But with all the heat coming her way I and others will speak highly of this lovely young lady and all that she has done early in her career. I hope she keeps the hunger and does 8 triples in the next season and improves all aspects of her skating. The thing that bothers me most is not some people thinking she didn't deserve gold (that's a matter of opinion) it's that some people think she skated average or badly. Puzzling.

Anyway I hope that helps Winky.

Yeah, I agree it is at this point useless to debate the Olympic results. People feel how they feel about the results and no one will likely change their minds based on these debates. I will admit that I liked Adelina's story of being pushed aside in favor of Yulia, but rising and skating the performances of her life. I thought maybe there was a particular performance of hers that she won you over with and I was going to go watch, but it seems that you just like her for bunch of reasons. I get it. I certainly don't think she skated badly, but her skating was not my cup of tea. She is clearly very athletic and has some interesting spins. I tend to prefer more artistic, though not over the top, performance and I think she needs work in that department. If I were her, I would stay away from the controversy of the OGM, especially if she is getting hit online as badly as people are saying. As far as the online stuff, my experience is that the world is full of keyboard cowards who use the internet for mischief. So I hope she and none of these other ladies are letting online comments bother them. I have heard several famous people say they don't read stuff online about themselves because people are so brutal. Yuna herself has been the subject of not so nice stuff on the internet with so-called fans sending her nasty emails about her performances and people who are not fans, including purported defenders of Adelina's, writing nasty comments. Unfortunately, it happens. I really hope Adelina is not getting death threats like I have read she is because that is ridiculous. I suspect that some of the "hate" Adelina is getting it no fans of any skater, but trolls stirring the pot.

I don't have a problem with people defending Adelina, but honestly I have found some of her defenders hostile about any criticism of the result or her programs. Maybe that is the result of Adelina's online attacks. After reading some of your posts, you seemed approachable so I thought it safe to try to get some enlightenment from you. Thank you. Good luck to your skater next season. It should be interesting. Many skaters have difficulty being hungry, so to speak, after winning the OMG and competition becomes harder. Also, it is a lot easier being the hunter verse being the hunted. It will be interesting to see how Adelina deals with this next season. I have no seen Worlds yet, because my cable network does not have the channel that carried it live. It will probably show up next week. Maybe I will find it online to watch. Take care!

Thank you for responding.

peg

Medalist
Maybe she blew the transition into the spin? (That's a joke) I haven't watched her skate again but I will. I really liked her SP and was shocked when she missed that spin. She really does get unfairly murdered on transitions. Same thing happened in Sochi if my memory is correct. I guess it's not so simple:slink:[
Her scores on transitions have often puzzled me, especially with that SP. It's one transition after another. I would have had no problem if the problem with her spin had affected her performance/execution score, but the low transition score...:scratch: