Javier Fernandez | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
ooo Javier's birthday - lots of love, joy and success for the future, keep us always entertained by your programs and showmanship!!!:cheer:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
btw, matmuh, i have a questionfor you. i often know the birthday of the skater from your post. i admire you. you are particular about each skater's birthday. dp you have any list or memo?

I have the same thought! :laugh:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
I have the same thought! :laugh:

you too!:laugh:

i know some of my favourites' birthdays but not all, following skaters and figure skating related pages on social media helps a lot :biggrin: btw thanks for your kind words :eek::

i see! it was a kind of mistery!:biggrin: thank you for giving us happy news! lets celebrate and cheer up our skaters together! :party2:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
A very busy week for the World Champion!
Tomorrow he's visiting the president of Spain, who will award him a Sports Merit Gold Medal.
On Thursday, he will visit the Spanish Olympic Committee to receive a sports scholarship among other remarkable Spanish athletes. On Thursday, he will also assist to the presentation of LaLiga4sports: a website dedicated to spread information about Spanish athletes who do not compete in soccer. He will also receive a homage by the Press Association of Avila.
And finally, on Friday, he will meet the King and Queen of Spain! :yahoo:

Edit: Commentators from all over the World after he finished his FS.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
And on Saturday, I believe, he's doing Kings on Ice... Busy, busy Javi.:)

JuliettaG

On the Ice
Yesterday, Javi was interviewed on a spanish radio. He said some interesting things; like how it's training with Hanyu, or his surprise when he found out that he'd won Worlds, and his future plans( he wants to set up a high performance centre in Spain to help the young skaters here so they don't have to go abroad to train).
http://www.cope.es/player/javier-fe...eguir-las-cosas&id=2016041901200001&activo=10

PD: If you want me to translate some part there's no problem :dance2:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
@JuliettaG - Thank you for your offer - if you'd like to translate some of the interview, that would really be lovely & I for one will be truly grateful.:) When you have the time, and whatever portion you think is most worth translating.

:thank:

JuliettaG

On the Ice
I translated the most important parts. My english is pretty bad, so I apologize for my mistakes:sad21: I hope more or less you could understand.

- Q :At the short program, you fell, but if something has characterized you is your ability to overcome these setbacks.
A: After the short program, knowing that I didn’t do a perfect program and knowing that Hanyu was at ten-twelve points of distance, I remember I thought “Well, a second place is not bad”. But then, at the long program, I change a little my thoughts. I thought if I do a clean program, If I have a chance, It has to be doing this program completely clean. So I think I was only myself who put that goal, and I said to myself “Let’s try to improve a little more, and do a clean program and then we’ll see what happens."

- Q : Anyway, when you finish your long program ,you see the standing ovation and you put your hands on your face, in that moment you think “ What I’ve done has been great”..
A: Yes, but even so, I didn’t know what Hanyu had done before. We have to wait while the others skaters are performing, and meanwhile we warm up; but we can't watch a TV to watch the competition, so we only can intuit what’s happening from the sound of the public, If a skater is doing it well or not; but we don’t know for sure what happened, or how many points the skater earned; so when I went to do my long program, I didn’t know what happened with the previous skaters.

- Q: So really, when you put your hands on your face, you don’t know that you’ve won?
A : No, no. I didn’t know, because, besides, the scores depend on the judges. I knew that I’d done the perfect program for me, but I didn’t know whether I was first or not.

- Q: While you were doing your program, the entire public at the venue was standing up and cheering, and especially your coach, Brian Orser, the first thing that told you is “OMG. Guau.”
A: Yes, and I didn’t know. When you’re perfoming , you don’t realize what is happening on your surroundings. I was finishing my program, doing my spins and the people was standing up. And then when I finished my program and I saw the people in Boston,standing up for a guy who is spanish, from Madrid...., and they stood up because I’d done a program that reached everyone, and that is something that I can be proud. Also for my coach, and of course my coach is proud of me and he knows the work that I’m doing at the competitions.

- Q: Other thing that surprises me about your sport. You train with your biggest rival, don’t you? How Brian Orser can handle to train both of you? I guess he trains you in the same way, he says that he’s like a father for you. How is it to train with your rival, at the same ice rink, the same hours?
A: Figure skating is a sport which we don’t have to compete face to face, you compete against yourself, and then the judges decide who wins. We use our way of training together as benefit for our trainings. Yuzuru learns things from me, I learn things from him, if he strives more then I try too. We use this situation as something positive to improve even more.

- Q: How is the life in Toronto?
A: It’s good and I like the training there, because I don’t have any distractions, I live alone and I know that I am there only to train and I devote myself to it 100%.

- Q: You’ve nationalised Canadian, haven’t you?
A: No, I haven’t. And I'll never do it. We tried to do it (The superior counsel of sports, the Spanish federation) .We tried to get a visa or something that would help us to make our days in Toronto easier. The things got complex and we only could obtain a letter from the government of Canada which explains our situation, why we go to Canada and that they couldn’t reject our entry to the country. I’m a tourist in Canada, we have this letter and when we go to the airport, to the custom, we have to show it .

- Q: Javi, now you want to set up the CAR (High performance center) of figure skating in Spain.
A:Well, this is a future project. We want this sport to not end here, we want to help new kids, new skaters to improve and give them more possibilities to do what I’m doing, or even more. We want to ease their way, so they can train in Spain and don’t have to go abroad. It’s a project, we have some ideas, but there is a lot of work to do, we don’t know what is going to happen, but it’s something that we want, we have a lot of hopes and we think that it’s something that we need in this sport. Also others sports like hockey… all the sports related to the ice, they need a rink where they have enough time to practice.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
@JuliettaG - Thank you so much for translating all that - and doing it so beautifully! I especially loved the parts about Worlds' - and it was really moving to read what went through Javi's mind at the time; and it all comes through crystal clear in your translation!

But I must seriously disagree with you that your English is "pretty bad" - it is in fact very good! And a million thanks again!:)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Javi with the Spanish President receiving the Medal for Merit in Sports.
(the pictures are at the very bottom)
Acceptance speech
Javi said that receiving this award, not from competition but from his own country, motivates to improve even further and take more Titles home. :yes: The president said that this medal also rewards the effort and sacrifice behind the World Titles he's achieved. That his accomplishments can hopefully inspire more kids to take the chances when they present themselves and to work hard, and not only rely on talent.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
He really takes his position as a pioneer in Spanisk skating seriously. I hope they can create a high level training facility in Spain for future skaters... but it will take more time and money...as always. It would be a great legacy.

musicfan80

Medalist
Q: Other thing that surprises me about your sport. You train with your biggest rival, don’t you? How Brian Orser can handle to train both of you? I guess he trains you in the same way, he says that he’s like a father for you. How is it to train with your rival, at the same ice rink, the same hours?
A: Figure skating is a sport which we don’t have to compete face to face, you compete against yourself, and then the judges decide who wins. We use our way of training together as benefit for our trainings. Yuzuru learns things from me, I learn things from him, if he strives more then I try too. We use this situation as something positive to improve even more.

I love this attitude. I hope that other skaters who train at the same rink (and may even have the same coach) with their competitors follow this example. :)

Q: You’ve nationalised Canadian, haven’t you?
A: No, I haven’t. And I'll never do it. We tried to do it (The superior counsel of sports, the Spanish federation) .We tried to get a visa or something that would help us to make our days in Toronto easier. The things got complex and we only could obtain a letter from the government of Canada which explains our situation, why we go to Canada and that they couldn’t reject our entry to the country. I’m a tourist in Canada, we have this letter and when we go to the airport, to the custom, we have to show it .

I apologize for my ignorance on this because I don't know Canadian visa rules, but couldn't Javier (or any other foreigner training in Canada) somehow get a work visa? Especially since Javier does ice shows in Canada (I believe he will be part of the Canada SOI tour) and probably does some teaching. It seems weird that Javier would be on a "tourist visa" - he is probably in the country a lot longer during the year than what I would think a tourist visa would allow.

JuliettaG

On the Ice
I apologize for my ignorance on this because I don't know Canadian visa rules, but couldn't Javier (or any other foreigner training in Canada) somehow get a work visa? Especially since Javier does ice shows in Canada (I believe he will be part of the Canada SOI tour) and probably does some teaching. It seems weird that Javier would be on a "tourist visa" - he is probably in the country a lot longer during the year than what I would think a tourist visa would allow.

He said on the interview that he has to leave Canada from time to time due to his visa situation, so I think he couldn't obtain the work visa...

Last edited:

JuliettaG

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sTfN60ZySM&feature=youtu.be Does anyone have time to summarize if there some things we haven't already know? Would be grateful. :bow: I'm not sure but I think he said he will be retiring after 2018 Olympics, but I think he already mentioned it somewhere before.

Yes, he said that whatever happens in 2018, If he wins or not, he will retire. Also he said that he's old to skate (He's asked about that); he's among the oldest in the senior category.If I have some time later I'll try to do a recap.

I edit to post the recap:

Well, first of all, this was a humor program on the radio, so there isn't many questions about skating. It was more focused on Javier's life, and there were some "spicy questions", idk if I should post here the answers:palmf::laugh: Javi is lovely and he answers every question with a smile, but idk If he was comfortable with some of them. So the important parts are what I posted before, and some others like : he wants to be a coach after he retires, he wants to do some figure skating camps throughout Spain...and something that catch my attention, he never weighed, he said that he doesn't know his weight:laugh:

Last edited: