Javier Fernandez | Page 75 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

tzazu

Medalist
He said on the interview that he has to leave Canada from time to time due to his visa situation, so I think he couldn't obtain the work visa...

I think it's the same with other skaters, like Yuzuru, they are in Canada with a tourist visa

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Another radio interview
It turned into a pretty informal talk from time to time, so I just did a direct translation of the parts where it sort of remained as an interview, the rest was a bit hard so I did an indirect translation :biggrin:

B: We have to acknowledge Javi’s immense merit in what he does and what he’s doing for Spain. His situation is as if the best skier in the World was from Cuba or the best F1 pilot from Tanzania. This is a country where there are only 632 figure skating licenses.
A: Only 632 people in this country can dance in skates.
B: But judges and coaches are also included in there, the amount of skaters is even smaller. It’s a ridiculous number compared to other countries, but in the middle of the desert, there’s this jewel who went today to la Moncloa (the presidential residency) to receive a medal on Sports Merit.

They asked him about visiting the President, Javier said they mainly talked about sports, because the president of the Superior Sports Council was also there with them. They also talked about his scheduled visit to the King and Queen, he said he got a call after Worlds because the Royal Family wanted to talk to him and know him a bit better, they have met him before but didn't get the chance to talk much.

A: You moved to Boston, right?
J: Toronto
A: Toronto. and you were there by youself for a long time, how long was it?
J: I’ve been living in Toronto for 5 years now. I left Spain when I was 17, and I lived in New Jersey, Russia, Latvia, Italy and then I moved to Toronto.
A: And are you training right now or do you think “I don’t even want to look at a skate” ?
J: At this time of the year there are many shows around the world now that the competitions are over. I’ll go to Canada for a month to perform at ice shows, then I’ll go to Japan for 3 weeks for more ice shows. And by the end of June, with a little luck, I’ll be back in Spain for vacation.
A: Do these ice shows pay well?
J: They do. For me, they are more profitable than the competitions.

B: In other countries, USA, Canada, Japan, this guy’s an idol. Venues for 15,000 people get packed to see him, he’s a TV star. In Spain, we are just starting to grasp this figure of Javier Fernandez. But he’s a star in many countries around the world. He talked about when he moved to the US at 17, you left on your own. Your parents worked very hard to pay your expenses over there, could that may have been your hardest time?
J: I think so, not only for myself, but for my parents as well. I didn’t have any benefits on the sport and the Federation couldn’t drop so much money because we didn’t have the results that we have now. My parents had to work many extra hours.
A: What do your parents do?
J: My father’s in the military and my mom works at the post service.
A: And how many kids do they have?
J: My sister and me.
B: Laura, who is responsible for you being in this world (skating).
J: She started before me.
A: And how did she start?
J: Watching a competition here and there on TV. My parents took her to her lessons, I went along with my soccer ball. And in the end I left the soccer ball behind and got into the rink.

A: And how do you deal with fame, knowing that people now look up to you? Do you still go to Cuatro Vientos (his neighborhood)?
J: Yes, yes.
A: And do you keep in touch with your childhood friends?
J: All of them, I keep absolutely everything
A: Have you seen them recently?
J: I’ve seen some of them. I haven’t had the time to see them all.
A: And what do they tell you?
J: They are very proud. We have this group (chat?) of our childhood class and we keep in touch there. And they always congratulate me.
A: And have they talked to you about your performance in Boston?
J: Yes, of course, all of them. They said it was wonderful.
A: It was perfect. It was one of those times when you dream of it and it happens.
J: It’s a difficult program, a very difficult one on a technical level and on an artistic level, from start to finish. And doing a clean program like that is not easy at all, neither in training or competitions. We are risking it 200%.
A: Did you ever had a clean program on trainings before?
J: Yes, once before Worlds. But I had a few injuries before, I was going to physiotherapy 3 times a week. Those two months before Worlds were not the easiest.

They talk a bit about the commentators reactions from all over the World, calling it one of the most shocking performances of all time. He said that the most shocking call he got (to congratulate him) was from the Royal Family. They talked a bit about what that was like, he said it was a pretty normal conversation :laugh:

B: There something here that drew my attention and I want you to confirm it. You compete against your great rival Hanyu who is also your training mate.
A: How is it with him? You have a good relationship?
J: We have…
A: You have a rivalry.
J: Yeah we do have a rivalry, specially in competitions. But when it comes to training, we’re partners. We share the rink, the sessions. If we see that one needs the help of the other (we do it), this is a sport in which we don’t compete face to face, you compete against yourself. It’s a very different sport to what we are used to over here where a team plays against another, or a player against another.
A: You talk to him a lot?
J: We talk a lot, practically every day. His level of English is not competely perfect so that limits him sometimes.
A: You spend a lot of time in Japan. Do you know any Japanese?
J: No, it’s too hard for me. It’s a difficult language.
B: You’re linked to Japan
J: I’m linked to Japan. But I learned English so I think my brain doesn’t have much (space) left.
A: If he said you’re linked to Japan there must be a reason.
J: My girlfriend is Japanese.
A: And how did you meet? In Japan?
J: She was- well is a skater because she performs at shows around the world, but she has retired from competition. She is a two-time World Champion. We met a long time ago, we trained together for a while.
A: You say a long time ago as if you were 50 but you just turned 25 four days ago!
J: That was 7 years ago, for me it’s a long time
A: Being the World Champion, and having a girlfriend who was also a World Champion…is she strict with you? Does she give you any advice?
J: No, the only thing she wants to do is talk to me during competition. She says that if she doesn’t talk to me things won’t go well. She says “If you don’t talk to me, I have the feeling that you won’t do it well.” And I’m like “Well, if you think that, let’s talk. Just in case.”
A: If she tells you you need to talk, you need to talk.
B: Are you superstitious? Do you have any rite before getting into the rink?
J: I’m not superstitious but I’d rather not do things that bring bad luck. (laughs) I don’t go crazy over these things, I don’t have a rite. I have my silly little things, but I won’t go crazy if I don’t do it. I don’t think “Goodness me, I haven’t done this and I usually do it. My competion won’t go well.” No.

B: You and Hanyu is as if Nadal and Djokovic trained together. You are like the Messi and Ronaldo of figure skating. He performed before you, so when you finished your program -I assume he watched you- is it true that he kneeled before you?
J: Yes. But I think he did it because at the GPF in Barcelona last year, as he had a completely flawless program, it was me who kneeled. And at Worlds, I think he remembered that and he kneeled, I think it was because of that.
A: How nice. Those kind of details…I don’t see them in soccer.
J: Because it’s different. I said it on an interview the other day: Imagine if Messi and Christiano trained together -and I know people may call me crazy-, but instead of soccer, they’re doing free kicks, and it’s a free kick competition, only that.
A: I don’t see Cristiano dropping to his knees (laughs)
J: Or Messi saying “If you do this, you’ll kick it better.” It’s different, we don’t compete at the same time on the ice.

A: And you’re parents, who do they deal with this?
J: It depends on the moment. I know that they were nervous in Boston because I had an injury between the SP and the FS and I couldn’t train. And they were very nervous, sometimes they get a lot more nervous than me. But they have a good time, they like traveling, watching me compete. They enjoy it and that’s important. Because they have given a lot for me to get to where I am now.
B: How many days, training hours, weeks, months of intense training does it take to reach the perfection like you did in Boston? Because those 4:40 min were perfect but there’s a lot of work behind it.
J: We have a plan before the season begins. And we go by percentages, on how we want to be for each competition, like “We’ll try to be at 50% for this one, here at 60%, here at 80%” then we try to go down because you can’t always be at 100%. but we try to be at 100% for the last two competitions, which is Euros, then we have two months to go down and up to 100% for Worlds. We have a strategy so I can rest, mentally more so than physically. Saying “You have to be at 100% for 4 months straight”, for us is a very unstable thing.
A: And how long are you staying?
J: Just 4 days.
A: 4 days? And then you’re going to Japan?
J: I’m going to Canada for a month and then Japan.
A: You have to see your in-laws (laughs)

A: And you girlfriend likes Cuatro Vientos?
J: Yes, she’s been here a couple of times…
A: You’ve only brought her over a couple of times?
J: Because I don’t have time and we’ve been together for a month and a half-I mean a year and a half.

The interviewers then started teasing him a bit because of his mistake.

A: And what do you want to do these days?
J: These days I want to have a day in which you put on your pajamas and don’t take it off until the following night.

Then they asked him about places to eat and visit but he didn’t know because he loved Madrid. Perhaps going to the Debot Temple.

A: Do you go unnoticed by the streets? Or do people stop you more now?
J: It happens more often every time, but I try to remain normal. Why should I give up the things I like to do? If I want to go and lay on the grass and people notice me and want to stop me, it’s okay.

Edit: Javi doing the honorary starting kick on the Real Madrid vs Villareal match today

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Wow, xibsuarz - that's a lengthy interview you translated! Thanks!:)

I like the notion of the royal family wanting to get to know Javi better, and him having had a "normal" conversation with them.:)

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
JuliettaG and xibsuarz, thank you for your lengthy translations, you both did an amazing job capturing these interviews!:clap:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'm glad people are enjoying it. Anytime :)

Yay! 100 pages :hap57: this thread sometimes moves relatively slow in comparison to others so this is a great accomplishment! :biggrin:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love how Spanish media are all over Javi after Worlds! :biggrin: And I don't like Real Madrid at all, but he must be really happy to do this honorary kick, since it's his favourite team ;) It's nice when Football world acknowledges his achievements.
100 pages! It's a high time for a two time World Champion thread :thumbsup: :cheer:

evergreen

On the Ice
As a long-time lurker but uber fan of Javi, I feel obligated to make my first post here to celebrate the 100th page and solute to Javi's recent triumph:hap10:.

JuliettaG and xibsuarz- Thank you very much for taking the time to translate the interviews. You shine my day :agree:

To other fellow fans - Many thanks for sharing the news & information about Javi, this boy deserves to have fans cheering for him since he brings so much happiness and joy to our lives :love:

LRK

Record Breaker
Welcome, evergreen - you chose an auspicious occasion to de-lurk; I hope we'll see more of you, and that you'll have a fun time with us here.:)

tzazu

Medalist
As a long-time lurker but uber fan of Javi, I feel obligated to make my first post here to celebrate the 100th page and solute to Javi's recent triumph:hap10:.

JuliettaG and xibsuarz- Thank you very much for taking the time to translate the interviews. You shine my day :agree:

To other fellow fans - Many thanks for sharing the news & information about Javi, this boy deserves to have fans cheering for him since he brings so much happiness and joy to our lives :love:

Welcome to this forum!!!;)

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
LRK and tzazu - thank you very much for the warm welcome. Gee, I should have jumped on this board much earlier, but better late than never, right:agree2:

I have to admit that Javi has surprised me once again how much he had improved since he won the world title in Shanghai last year. Brian Orser sees the best in him, "Javier is a very naturally talented jumper and quick learner", written in his book Team Brian, "he has great potential so long as we can motivate him and keep him focus on the skating". I guess that the world title has motivated him well, and once getting on the top of the podium of the world stage, few can resist the temptations to get more titles.

Please Spain shower Javi more honors and awards, so as he can keep on fighting :cheer:

liv

Record Breaker
EVERYONE looks short next to King Felipe. Happy for Javi on getting this well deserved recognition. It could not happen to a nicer person.

evergreen

On the Ice
Thank yoou very much, 6o6ul4o, for the links. Javi has showed that he can be much more versatile in music/programs selection. I was deeply touched by the Danny Boy he performed in the gala of 2016 worlds. He can definitely do some romantic lyrcial style of program for the next season.

It seems Javi is extremely busy with medias & shows. IS he going to join the cast of Canadian SOI sometime in the end of this month? and FOI in Japan June-July. He is better to take it easy, as he said he looks like a "granddaddy" in current competitive men single field.

http://news.newsdirectory2.com/javier-fernandez-now-i-have-a-place-in-the-games-pyeongchang-eye/

Last edited: