Wenjing Sui & Cong Han | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Wenjing Sui & Cong Han

Celine

On the Ice
The need for her to comment about whether they were dating was kind of :rolleye: IMO. It's like the troll fantasy life of the very average fan needs every male and female skating together to somehow have a romantic connection. Reflects some of the heritage of the pairs and dance discipline, I realize, but seriously people. It's 2015.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The need for her to comment about whether they were dating was kind of :rolleye: IMO. It's like the troll fantasy life of the very average fan needs every male and female skating together to somehow have a romantic connection. Reflects some of the heritage of the pairs and dance discipline, I realize, but seriously people. It's 2015.
I assume they were asked that question many times. Ha ha but she acted cool and shot down all the rumors. She's a Queen!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Congrats on making the gpf! Too bad her ankle was injured :( I hope she gets fully better before barcelona; luckily it doesn't seem too critical as she was able to land the elements at least.

veneresplende

Rinkside
Congrats on making the gpf! Too bad her ankle was injured :( I hope she gets fully better before barcelona; luckily it doesn't seem too critical as she was able to land the elements at least.

It's actually her Achilles tendon, but either way it's damn impressive that they were pretty clean. She did look a bit in pain afterwards but they do have a month until Barcelona. Hoping she heals soon!

s_parks

Record Breaker
It's actually her Achilles tendon, but either way it's damn impressive that they were pretty clean. She did look a bit in pain afterwards but they do have a month until Barcelona. Hoping she heals soon!

A way different level, but kinda reminds me of Shen in 2003 Worlds after that horrible injury in practice before the long. These pair ladies are tough!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Although they lost by less than a point, I'm glad they solidified their GPF spot! Wishing them a speedy recovery and a strong performance in Barcelona!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congrats on making GPF! I'm sure Sui is kicking herself over the slip after the combo, which could've made the difference... But I'm so proud of her for being able to skate so well on an injured ankle. Don't care if they do quad throw--as long as she's healthy and they skate those programs to their potential.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congrats on making GPF! I'm sure Sui is kicking herself over the slip after the combo, which could've made the difference... But I'm so proud of her for being able to skate so well on an injured ankle. Don't care if they do quad throw--as long as she's healthy and they skate those programs to their potential.

How did the slip after the combo affect their score? I'm also impressed that they skated so well with an injury. Since they're done with both GP's pretty early, I hope they use the time between now and the GPF to rest up!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
How did the slip after the combo affect their score? I'm also impressed that they skated so well with an injury. Since they're done with both GP's pretty early, I hope they use the time between now and the GPF to rest up!
I suspect it would've affected GOEs for the element? Though, considering the downgrade and sync problems, I guess there's not much GOE left to lose. :p (TBH, I'm surprised they didn't get a fall deduction for that).

ginsengtea

Rinkside

It wasn't actually the slip at all, the -1 deduction was for a time violation...which makes it even more face-palm worthy

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
It wasn't actually the slip at all, the -1 deduction was for a time violation...which makes it even more face-palm worthy

Yeah I noticed their time violation which was a shame... They're normally a tad behind their music but not this much

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
After analyzing the LP from the Chinese test skates, Skate America, and CoC, I realized that reason why S/H are constantly behind in the music is because of extra choreography in place of where the death spiral used to be. The death spiral used to be after the first lift and before the SBS 3S, but S/H now do a choreographic sequence there (which I think does a great job of bringing out the feeling of the music). During the test skates the choreographic sequence is right before the music cut, which gives S/H enough time to initiate their pair spins right on the music cut, but there is not enough time to do a death spiral. Thus, they have to rush their death spiral, causing them to lose levels, and depending on how slow the pair and SBS spins are, become chronically late by the end of the program. I do like their ending pose at COC though, and I hope they keep it. Otherwise, reverting back to the format from the test skates should solve the time violation issue.

Last edited:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
After analyzing the LP from the Chinese test skates, Skate America, and CoC, I realized that reason why S/H are constantly behind in the music is because of extra choreography in place of where the death spiral used to be. The death spiral used to be after the first lift and before the SBS 3S, but S/H now do a choreographic sequence there (which I think does a great job of bringing out the feeling of the music). During the test skates the choreographic sequence is right before the music cut, which gives S/H enough time to initiate their pair spins right on the music cut, but there is not enough time to do a death spiral. Thus, they have to rush their death spiral, causing them to lose levels, and depending on how slow the pair and SBS spins are, become chronically late by the end of the program. I do like their ending pose at COC though, and I hope they keep it. Otherwise, reverting back to the format from the test skates should solve the time violation issue.

From what I recall from the test skates, S/H's original LP ending was a lot trickier and kind of crazy haha. I wonder why that ending got scrapped.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
kinda late but congratz for silver medal and ticket to GPF!! i really enjoyed their performances, shame about the little mistakes but Sui is one tough cookie for sure, hopefully she will recover well before GPF and who know maybe even win :love:

btw i watched CBC version and i find it funny when Kurt said many pairs are doing quads now thanks to D/R when in fact Sui and Han was doing them back in 2012 (or even before?) and they did 2 diff kind of quads (twist and throw) in a program, i am not saying to take anything from D&R though, i enjoy watching them but sometimes commentators ignores some facts maybe because not many saw them as threat back then :scratch3: :peace:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
kinda late but congratz for silver medal and ticket to GPF!! i really enjoyed their performances, shame about the little mistakes but Sui is one tough cookie for sure, hopefully she will recover well before GPF and who know maybe even win :love:

btw i watched CBC version and i find it funny when Kurt said many pairs are doing quads now thanks to D/R when in fact Sui and Han was doing them back in 2012 (or even before?) and they did 2 diff kind of quads (twist and throw) in a program, i am not saying to take anything from D&R though, i enjoy watching them but sometimes commentators ignores some facts maybe because not many saw them as threat back then :scratch3: :peace:

Canadian commentary can be... Interesting or selective to say the least :dance2: however, I'm glad that they broadcasted pairs, even if it was minimal.

Bumdid

Record Breaker

Haha. As mentioned previously, Kurt and Carol can be very Canadian biased lol. I still enjoy their commentary though not as much as the B.ESP. :luv17:

Still, S/H did a good job today and they seemed to improve every competition. Hopefully, they can put it all together at Worlds like they did last year and nail their quad throw.

Tastetherainbow

Medalist

Well, the Chinese were the ones who first emphasized harder tech - specifically the quad sal. S/Z, P/T, Z/Z all practiced the quad sal at some point. Ding/Ren attempted 4TTh, Vise/Trent landed the first 4STh successfully, Inoue/Baldwin and S/S did 3ATh. S/H attempted two quads in juniors. Yet, all of these attempts were not the deciding factor and did not propel them into World Champions. S/Z, P/T, and Z/Z realized the added difficulty was not worth the risk. Inoue/Baldwin were not rewarded enough (in my opinion) at the 2006 Olympics as the IJS was still in its infancy. The emphasis on reputation and presentation back then greatly outweighed any attempts at higher difficulty, because PCS was more easily (for the lack of a better word) inflated than TES was. Recently, the emphasis shifted so that TES can overcome any advantage set by PCS (Of course, we haven't seen V/T back in competition yet, so that may change). What set D/R apart was that they were able to consistently land the 4STh with one foot (even though I think her landing positions aren't aesthetically pleasing at times), and did a consistent SBS 3Lz for a very long time. That consistency pulled their PCS up to over 70 points in the LP and their reputation, and others now have to play the TES game just to even compete against D/R. We've seen how P/T, who had great reputation and amazing artistry, were still triumphed in the end by both D/R and S/H. Therefore, I think Kurt's comment that pairs are doing quads thanks to D/R isn't exactly unfounded. D/R were just able to capitalize on their TES advantage when none of the other pairs mentioned could. Because many pairs can't do harder SBS jumps, they now have to do either a quad twist or a quad throw to up their TES to match D/R.

On another note, I hope Sui can heal and get back to top condition by the GPF. If Sui can nail the 4STh during the LP, then I would say Pairs this season is even more interesting than the Ladies! :hap10::popcorn:

Last edited: