2015 Cyprus Championships May 9-10 | Golden Skate

2015 Cyprus Championships May 9-10

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
2014 Championships were May. 24-25,.2014
The rink is being remodelled, so they will probably be off sequence/early bird again this season

The web page front page exists, but the data is gone.

2014 Results
http://web.archive.org/web/20141222220343/http://www.csf.org.cy/National_Champioships/2014/index.htm

Just curious - have you heard something about the rink being remodelled? Or, was it an accidental mis-reading of my comment about the Cypriot Skating Federation's website being given an overhaul...?

The CSF website is currently undergoing an overhaul. But, here is the archived copy of the Entries/Results page for last year's Cypriot Championships:

http://web.archive.org/web/20141222220343/http://www.csf.org.cy/National_Champioships/2014/index.htm

Unfortunately, none of the individual pages have been archived. :disapp:

Personally, I hope that there are plans to build an Olympic sized rink. Because, how are the local skaters supposed to get proper experience to prepare them for international competitions if their National Championships are being held on a small rink in the middle of a shopping centre?!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Tanka

On the Ice
The mall was built when I was living in Cyprus. I'm happy to know they have championships there now.

how are the local skaters supposed to get proper experience to prepare them for international competitions if their National Championships are being held on a small rink in the middle of a shopping centre?!
At least there are ice rinks in Cyprus now. There wasn't any 6 or 7 years ago. And at least it may give a good start. Michael Martinez of Philippines started to skate at the same small rink in the center of a mall (I saw both rinks though I didn't skated there) and then he was able to move on and even skated into the Olympics' FS.

Ice rink in Nicosia is even funnier, it has a large square column in the center. :)

I only found video from 2011 and there were no international level programs (and no double jumps though some really nice spins), so the rink had enough size. But I hope this sport will continue to develop in Cyprus.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The mall was built when I was living in Cyprus. I'm happy to know they have championships there now.

At least there are ice rinks in Cyprus now. There wasn't any 6 or 7 years ago. And at least it may give a good start. Michael Martinez of Philippines started to skate at the same small rink in the center of a mall (I saw both rinks though I didn't skated there) and then he was able to move on and even skated into the Olympics' FS.

Ice rink in Nicosia is even funnier, it has a large square column in the center. :)

I only found video from 2011 and there were no international level programs (and no double jumps though some really nice spins), so the rink had enough size. But I hope this sport will continue to develop in Cyprus.

You used to live in Cyprus?! Oh, my Dad will be so jealous!!! He was stationed out there a few years before the invasion, and fell in love with the island. And my family has been going to Limassol on holidays for most of the past 30 years. And we too have fallen in love with it.

As I said, we've been calling in at MyMall most years since it was built. I love going through CD's in music shops, seeing what I can find, and MyMall had 2 shops with great music departments. But, Public has closed the massive music department in their basement, and the other shop that stocked CD's has closed completely. So, I don't really have an excuse to go there any more (I HATE clothes shops!)

As for skating, it is developing well in Cyprus. But, I suppose that is not a surprise for a country with a large Russian ex-pat population. Cyprus currently have 2 pretty good Russian skaters representing the island at Junior level - Kristina Dubrovskaya and Polina Ustinova. But, they are also developing local skaters.

When I was last at MyMall in September, I watched a training session with 2 skaters. By looking up Cypriot skaters on Facebook, I was able to find who the skater waiting by the boards was (she is a local girl). But, I was not able to find out who the girl on the ice was. Which really annoyed me, because she looked very promising! (I even started a thread on here in the hope that I could find a way to work out who she was!)

Personally, I really hope the Cypriot Championships are held at the same time as last season, i.e towards the end of May. Because, I will be on the island at that time!!! ;) :biggrin: (We normally go in September, but we're going earlier this year)

I didn't know there was a rink in Nicosia. There again, we don't go there too often because it is normally far too hot! But, that is madness having a column in the middle of the rink! I suppose you could get away with it if it was just the general public doing laps of the rink. But how dangerous is that for figure skaters doing elements?!

So, by the sounds of things, they still have some way to go.

As you said in your comparison the Philippines, at least having small rinks is a major step in the right direction for developing skating in Cyprus. But, with the Cypriot economy being so bad at the moment, I don't fancy there being any major investment in the near future.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Tanka

On the Ice
I lived in Limassol for two wonderful years and it was impossible not to fall in love with the island. I still love it! I haven't been to Cyprus since then (it's so far from me now...) and I didn't know that figure skating had developed that much since I left. And I didn't know about the rink in Nicosia either until I saw this thread and went googling. :biggrin: MyMall was on the way to our favorite Ladies Mile beach so we visited it very often.

I hope you can see some of the championship and then tell your impression. I watched the video from 2011 and I liked the cozy atmosphere and there were plush toys on the ice for every skater! And yes, Russian speech at background. :biggrin:

Maybe when Cyprus has many skaters of rather high level Cyptiots will think over building a bigger rink but I don't believe it's going to happen very soon. Anyway I like how the things are developing now and wish my very best to all Cypriot skaters (both native and expats).

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's taken a while, but I have finally got some concrete news about the 2015 Cypriot Championships! :cheer:

I misread something somewhere, I think.

Here's the rink's facebook. :eek: it is quite a trip
https://nm.facebook.com/cyonice?refsrc=http://www.google.com/search&_rdr

Website has a front page, but is still under construction.
http://www.csf.org.cy/

Although the CSF website is still under construction, they now have a page with details about the 2015 Nationals:

http://www.csf.org.cy/index.php/com...etitions/2-cyprus-national-championships-2015

As with previous years, the Cypriot Championships will be held at the MyMall shopping centre in Zakaki, just outside Limassol. However, they are being held a few weeks earlier than last year's, from 9th - 10th May 2015.

I arrive on the island on 13th May! :mad: :bang:

To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Entries / Results Page is now up:

http://www.csf.org.cy/national_competitions/2015/entries_results/index.htm

On the one hand, it is very disappointing to see only one entry in each of the Junior level competitions. The long time top ladies skater for Cyprus, Kristina Dubrovskaya, is now studying in England. So she is not there to make Junior Ladies into something more than a formality.

But, on the other hand, it is VERY encouraging to see multiple entries in each of the lower levels.

As I have alluded to before, Cyprus has a large Russian ex-pat population, and you do see Russian names in the entry lists (for example, both junior level skaters are Russian). But, the really encouraging thing is that there are far more Greek names. Which means that skating is taking off amongst the local children! :cheer:

The Championships kicked off about 45 minutes ago, and the Junior and Advanced Novice Short Programmes have now been completed. However, there are no scores up yet. But, I think it is safe to say that Polina Ustinova is leading Junior Ladies and Nikita Vitryanyuk is leading Junior Men! ;)

But, it is the Advanced Novice Ladies competition that I would like to see the scores from, as I saw one of the entrants at the rink (but not actually on the ice) back in September.

All the best to all the skaters competing!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Today's results are now up on the Entries / Results Page.

It goes without saying that Polina Ustinova (Ekaterinburg) is leading the Junior Ladies, and Nikita Vitryanyuk (Moscow) is leading Junior Men.

Polina got a score of 35.10, while Nikita got a score of 46.31. Neither of them fell.

In Advanced Novice Ladies, Danai HADJIMITSI (Paphos) is in the lead with 28.10, but hot on her heels is Daniella Vanessa IPSARIDES (Limassol) with 27.40. Giorgia-Isabella SECHI (the girl I saw waiting by the boards in September) is 3rd with 23.80. Surprisingly, the Russian skater is at the bottom of the field, with a score of 17.40. But, there again, Yelizaveta PARSHYNA did have 2 falls, so it is understandable.

As a side note, four of the skaters I have mentioned were taking part in the recent World Development Trophy. Here are the videos:

Polina USTINOVA - 2015 WDT Poland
Nikita VITRYANYUK - 2015 WDT Poland
Danae HADJIMITSI - 2015 WDT Poland
Giorgia-Isabella SECHI - 2015 WDT Poland

The Free Skates for the Junior and Advance Novice competitions will be held tomorrow.

I am not familiar with any of the skaters competing in the younger levels. So, if you want to know how they got on, you can look up the results yourselves.

Well, that is apart from the Beginners competition, which will be held tomorrow. It has the largest field of the lot, with 10 entrants! It's an interesting entry list, as 5 of the skaters are listed as being Cypriot, but the other 5 have no nationality listed. Of these, 4 have Russian names. The remaining skater has a Greek first name, and a surname which I instinctively thought was Italian, but which Google says is Norwegian! (Bit of a difference! :confused: )

So, I am wondering if these are foreign skaters that have been invited to compete in the Cypriot Championships, to provide a gauge to compare the local skaters to. :think:

That would be an interesting concept! :cool:

Anyway. All the best to all the skaters competing tomorrow!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Short Program Results

Junior Man

Result Details

Pl. Name Nation TSS= TES+ PCS+ SS TR PE CH IN Deduction- StN.
1 Nikita VITRYANYUK CYP 46.31 22.31 24.00 4.75 4.50 5.00 4.75 5.00 0.00 #1

Junior Lady

Result Details

1 Polina USTINOVA CYP 35.10 18.30 16.80 4.50 4.00 4.00 4.25 4.25 0.00 #1

Advanced Novice Girls

1 Danai HADJIMITSI CYP 28.10 14.50 13.60 4.50 4.25 4.25 4.00 0.00 #4
2 Daniella Vanessa IPSARIDES CYP 27.40 14.00 13.40 4.25 4.50 4.00 4.00 0.00 #1
3 Giorgia-Isabella SECHI CYP 23.80 11.00 12.80 4.25 3.75 4.00 4.00 0.00 #2
4 Yelizaveta PARSHYNA CYP 17.40 6.60 12.80 4.00 4.25 3.75 4.00 2.00 #3

Last edited:

Tanka

On the Ice
I wonder where the competition was held. The site says MyMall, but the videos show some huge (compared to MyMall) ice rink.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder where the competition was held. The site says MyMall, but the videos show some huge (compared to MyMall) ice rink.

Those videos I linked to were not from this weekend's Cypriot National Championships. They were from the World Development Trophy that was held in Gdansk, Poland, just over a week ago.

Here is the thread about the whole WDT series:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?54951

I just added those video links in so that readers could see some very recent clips of some of the skaters taking part.

I am hoping that some videos from the Cyprus Nationals appear, but I'm not really expecting any.

So, sorry for the confusion.

CaroLiza_fan

Tanka

On the Ice
Those videos I linked to were not from this weekend's Cypriot National Championships. They were from the World Development Trophy that was held in Gdansk, Poland, just over a week ago.

Thank you for the clarification.
And good luck for all the competitors. :)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to let you know that I've been keeping an eye on the Free Skate pages since the competitions finished, but there is still no sign of any results being posted. :disapp: :bang:

HOWEVER, somewhat paradoxically, the overall results HAVE been posted.

Needless to say, Polina Ustinova and Nikita Vitryanyuk did win their respective Junior competitions. Polina's combined score was 98.43 in Junior Ladies, while Nikita's was 121.29 in Junior Men.

In Advanced Novice Ladies, there was a change at the top compared to the SP. Hometown girl Daniella Vanessa IPSARIDES won the FS with Danai HADJIMITSI in 2nd. Giorgia-Isabella SECHI was again in 3rd, with Yelizaveta PARSHYNA again 4th.

As a result, IPSARIDES took the title with a combined score of 70.32. HADJIMITSI took silver with 68.10, and SECHI took bronze with 58.00. PARSHYNA was not able to recover from her SP mistakes, and finished up 4th with 45.60.

Ipsarides was not at the World Development Trophy last week. The only video I can find of her is from the Sarajevo Open in February 2014, when she was 7th in the Basic Novice A I competition (she was 2nd in the Advanced Novice competition in Sarajevo this season, but there are no videos up)

Daniella Vanessa IPSARIDES - 2014 Sarajevo Open

Unfortunately, the results from the Beginners competition have not been posted yet. So, I don't know how the Cypriot skaters got on compared to these intriguing foreigners.

Hopefully the detailed results for todays competitions will appear before I arrive on the island! :rolleye:

:cheer: CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Free Skate results are finally up on the Entries / Results Page.

And there were falls galore today!

Of all the skaters I have mentioned in this thread, Daniella Vanessa IPSARIDES was the only one that did not fall today!

In Junior Ladies, Polina Ustinov scored 63.33 in the FS, but had 1 fall. Meanwhile in Junior Men, Nikita Vitryanyuk scored 74.98 in the FS, but had 2 falls.

In Advanced Novice Ladies, Daniella Vanessa IPSARIDES won the FS with a score of 42.92. Danai HADJIMITSI was 2nd in the FS with a score of 40.00, but had one fall. Giorgia-Isabella SECHI as 3rd in the FS with a score of 34.20, but had two falls. And Yelizaveta PARSHYNA, who had fallen twice in the SP, had one fall today. Her score in the FS was 28.20.

Somewhat annoyingly, there are still no results up for the Beginners competition. :mad:

Maybe they will appear tomorrow...

CaroLiza_fan