Sota Yamamoto | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of excerpts from the interview with Sota in 「Little Wings2019」magazine published on 10/31/18 (interview took place in Aug. 2018) thanks to this fan blog.
https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/entry-12432791107.html

(Re Asian Open win) I was truly happy. I wanted to get results for a long time, so I was genuinely pleased. I began practicing Lutz and Flip in March during the official practice of Coupe de Printemps. I put them in the program right away at competition and managed to succeed.

(About pain in his foot) I have been going to a hospital, and the doctor says I am okay so far, and does not tell me any more things like not to practice this nor to cut down on practice hours. Chukyo has the great environment for providing care and has various support as well, so it helps me very much. Off-ice training is instructed by the instructors specializing in this field, and they teach me many things such as important points to remember about eating habit and how to cool down my body.

Besides college instructors I went to rehabilitation instructors and massage therapists ... I have gone to various places. I came to realize that there are many opinions and methods about rehabilitation or care. I guess there is no such thing as one absolutely correct way, and I need to carefully choose the ones from among various opinions and follow them.

What I am doing every day is walking. After being injured, I have been doing this simple thing that I happened to begin. When I go to competitions, I walk quite a lot over there. I enjoy walking.

Coach Naruse and other coaches are helping me practice jumps, and I have been practicing skating always keeping in mind what I was previously taught by coach Nagakubo. He concentrated teaching me jumps. Whenever he called me out it was only about my jump (laughs).

I started practicing the triple axel around July. First I did double axels 100 times. Asian Trophy was coming up and I finally began thinking that it was about time to properly practice jumps ... I felt that I would only feel down more if I practiced half-heartedly and once I started practice I had to completely follow through with it. Once I started rotating I needed to completely rotate.

(Getting back his skate so far) I feel like I hear the voices telling me “Grow more and more!” Now I am aiming to get results.

Until I was in the first year of high school I felt happy to be cheered on but I did not turn it into my power. But ever since I got injured, my fans’ support has become my power indeed. I fully realize it now.

When I lived in Osaka it was a really naughty brat (laughs). Sometimes when I meet a friend in Osaka, he is surprised saying "you have changed so much". I think I have matured a bit and I have broadened my perspectives.

(On ice) I want to completely change myself like a different person. For example, Shoma-kun is only 20-year-old but I think he is really cool.

(Nobunaga Concerto) I asked Yuko Hongo (t/n mother of Rika Hongo) who edited the music that I wanted to use it in the second half, leaving the first half up to her. I did not know the drama or the original story. It was not that someone else skated to it before either.

I like listening to various types of music. Other people listen to the songs by popular artists and idols, but my music selection is limited to songs that I can use for my programs. I sometimes think "next year I will skate to this".

(Skating) I would think that only when you get close to 10 on the scale of 10 it is appreciated as great and beautiful. I can grow even more until I feel I reach that level. I want to get better.

Good skating in my opinion is skating with a long stride and without many pushes. Huge glide over the ice with just one push! I want to skate like that.

In the year when Boyang moved up to the senior when he competed at NHK Trophy, coach Nagakubo said to me "He is incredible. You better watch him." and he took me to watch him. I was also watching his official practice, but he did not practice so hard. He did not jump quad Lutz many times and he was making sure that the triple Lutz was stable. Then he jumped quad Lutz only in the run-through. He nailed the jumps to the music – I learned a lot watching him practice.

When I get to practice at Chukyo rink when Shoma-kun is there, I always try to watch him. I just like to watch other skaters skate.

When I was a novice skater I had a rival close by competing against me for a long time and I enjoyed practice time. Even at the competition I only thought about him all the time. Before the jump, I thought, 'If I fail this, he will beat me, so I’ve got to nail it!'

One skater said "I want to go to the Olympics." To this Hanyu said, "You won’t make it if you are saying ‘I want to go.’ Me, I will go!" So I have to go to the Olympics, (January 2016)

There are still four years until Beijing. After every competition I realize I have some issues to resolve. I am in a situation where I should get more results from here. Rather than setting a big goal in a hurry I will take good care of things in front of me one by one, one day at a time.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Sota was assigned to Challenge Cup (Feb. 21 - 25) in The Hague, Netherlands.
Entry of Skaters:
Men: Shoma Uno, Sota Yamamoto, Yuma Kagiyama
Ladies: Rika Kihira, Wakaba Higuchi

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thank you so much, Rainbow! That was a fascinating interview.
Most striking parts:
I began practicing Lutz and Flip in March during the official practice of Coupe de Printemps. I put them in the program right away at competition and managed to succeed.
Good. Heavens. And now he did the same with the 4T. Has the kid lost his survival instinct? :eek: I hope he still listens to his doctors' advice! Although... him saying they don't suggest he limit practice time, I hope he's not implying they've given up on him as hopeless! That would be just so Sota! I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

It's nice to hear how he looks up to Shoma and Boyang, and listens to words of wisdom from Yuzuru and Kazuki. :luv17:

I wonder what 'naughty brat' So-chan was like! lol!

And I love how he describes what he wants to skate like. Huge glide over the ice with just one push Love that description.

----------

Good luck to Sota at the Challenge Cup next month! I hope he isn't practicing 4-3 already, he needs some stability first... and above all, I hope he remains healthy.

Various cute Sota fanart I've stumbled upon that celebrates his birthday last week:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwgCkWuU8AAwYrm.jpg:small (calls him 'kusata' jokingly, lol!)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwosxnTUUAEfEei.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwprv0OVsAANJQV.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwe5uKnUYAEiuA4.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwfKCsOV4AAtga9.jpg:small
https://scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagra...7&ig_cache_key=MTk1MzE2MDYzODc3NjE3MTg2NA==.2 (<- Nobunaga Concerto with a katana, aww!)
Great to see how loved he is! ^ ^

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of an article dated 1/31/19 titled,
The Stairs Sota Yamamoto walks up - His last teenage years in 2019 – “Making progress to get better scores and results”
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190131-00000076-spnannex-spo

Almost one month has passed in 2019. Figure Skater Sota Yamamoto (19yr Chukyo University) is moving forward with a new resolution. He had been in hometown Osaka since the end of last year and appeared in the ice show “Nagoya Festival” held on January 5. On January 27 at the Japan Inter-High School Championships gala he skated to Bach’s masterpiece “Air on the G String” as a special guest and captivated the audience. “I was not sure if I deserved to be there but I was able to skate feeling good. “I am really happy they invited me,” he smiled.

Yamamoto turned 19 on January 10. He had many ups and downs in his skating career. In February 2016 he won gold at Youth Olympics and he had a bright future. In March, however, he broke his right ankle falling on triple axel right before he was supposed to leave for the Junior Worlds. He underwent surgeries three times. While in Mizuho high school in Aichi he entered Inter High School Championships in January in 2016 and 2018 before and after the serious injury, respectively. “I won gold when I was in the first year but my performance was not solid. In my third year I could not get on the podium (4th place) because I could not skate well and I was frustrated,” he said remembering the sweets and bitters he tasted during three years in high school.

It has been 10 months since he entered Chukyo University. In November last year he competed at NHK Trophy, a GP series event as senior for the first time. In December at Japan Nationals he landed a quad toe loop but he looks back at that moment calmly now “I’m not feeling elated.” He is determined to make a complete comeback and having been in the atmosphere of the Inter High School Championships again he reaffirmed his commitment, “I love skating. There are many things to learn by seeing younger skaters’ performances in person. It motivates me to deliver good performances.” His unannounced appearance was meant to delight the audience by surprise but he was unexpectedly given power by them.

2019 is his last year as a teen. “In some areas I made progress more than before. I need to connect it to better scores and results, otherwise my improvement is not convincing,” he said. Challenge Cup (The Hague, The Netherlands) is coming up in February and 2019-2020 season will be next. About the likelihood of challenging a new jump, “For now fifty-fifty,” he pondered. Whatever new challenges he decides to take on, all of his experiences will nourish the body and soul of "Sota Yamamoto" in his twenties.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you for the news, Rainbow and KiraraChin! I saw the article floating around yesterday, and wondered what it was about. I do hope Sota adds another jump only once he's stabilized the 3A and 4T. So far he's only landed the 4T in competition once; we know the same was true for his first 3A attempt at Asian Open, and yet he splat on it at Nationals, and still produces a fair number of 1A (Finlandia free, Nats free, NHK free).

In the meantime, entries for Challenge Cup have been published. Sota's facing Aymoz, Kagiyama, Grassl, Fentz and maybe someone from the US, otherwise I am hoping he could manage to hold his own. It's a tough field for him (I mean, at Finlandia he lost to Britschgi who is also assigned to The Hague), I hope he manages to hold his own!

Sota's Nagoya show segment:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70zfyp

BTW, it seems all videos I knew of of Sota's NHK free have disappeared. Can anyone post a working link?

surimi

Record Breaker

Aaah, so Eurosport just blocks stuff in Europe it seems, since you apparently can see the video while I cannot. We hatesss them. If you or anyone else stumbles upon another one, no matter the commentary or non-commentary, please let me know. It's so hard to keep track of Sota's videos in order to update the thread when they keep disappearing. :_[
ETA, yes, yes, I know I should get a VPN, but it's still nasty of them./end rant

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Sorry, been busy doing other things than focus on figure skating, i.e. video gaming (Kingdom Hearts 3) and job interviews... let's say the good stuff made up for the bad stuff, lol. But yeah, looking forward to the CC. I never really thought Shoma would show up, but am hopeful we'll get to see Sota. :love: I need to find some flowers for him to throw on the ice!

surimi

Record Breaker
That one works, great. :]
Here's a Sota and Shoma centric fan video compilation that was published yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stQ8c5cza0 Many moments I only know from photos there. Also, these fan videos are my first contact with JPop. Great opportunity for me to practice my listening skills. :B

ETA, @ Winnie, we'd best sit near some Japanese fans then. I suspect Sota is more likely to skate over to pick up his presents himself if he sees his country's banners and Japanese ladies. :p

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Sota fan’s blog report on his surprise guest appearance at Inter-High on 1/27/19
https://ameblo.jp/shelley39/entry-12436227121.html

Translation:
The skaters in 1st through 3rd (men and ladies) were invited to the gala. After men’s FS they were warming up for 10 minutes from 18:00.

Shortly after the warmup for the gala started, the buzz of chatter around me rose and I heard the voices saying “Sota-kun.” I was with my friend who joined me there and she took notice before me and told me “There he is, Sota-kun.”

Certainly! Sota-kun in a grey jacket was skating at the rink. Does that mean that he would make a guest appearance? Did they ever invite a guest skater to a gala at Inter-High? I was wide-eyed for a while.

Sota-kun looked like having a good time with other gala skaters and sometimes chatted with them as many of them were around the same age or in the same coaching team.
He was born early (t/n: meaning born between January 1st and April 1st. In Japan the school year starts in April and he is in the same school year as those born between April 2nd and December 31 of the previous year) therefore he is one grade ahead of Yamakuma, Sakamoto and Yokoi who were born in the same year but actually they were younger by only three or four months.

- He talked about Yamakuma-kun in KENJI’s room interview that they often ate out together.
- He was sitting next to Tsuboi-kun at the drawing at Nationals.
- Yuhana-chan, Thank you so much for tweeting on Sota-kun all the time.

During the practice time he was jumping the beautiful 3As and triple combinations and I was glad his preparation was going well. He looked fine and often smiled and what should I say - I was relieved.

On the ice at one time the skaters were competing with one another in trying to jump a triple combo with a 3L as the second jump (Sota-kun did not join) and the audience had a great time.
When the warmup time was up the skaters saluted the audience in a group of two or three before leaving the ice (Yuhana-chan and Tatsuya-kun were together), leaving Sota-kun alone on ice.

I thought Sota-kun would also salute and get off the ice right away but he continued laps around the rink.
No one told him to leave so it came to my mind that he might be the first performer, and I was getting ready to see his program. But he moved around for a while, jumped, and saluted the audience and left.
During the whole time other skaters were watching over him at the rink side saying something to him. I could not figure out what was going on but thanks to this I was able to see him skate for a longer time, so it was also a nice surprise present!

. . . I was seated the judges’ side and the skaters were on the opposite side, so I could see them waiting for their turn. As Sota-kun skated last he constantly kept his body warm by moving his body doing activities such as running or walking (when he walked with Tsuboi-kun).

Before his program the announcement came out “As a senior who used to be at Inter-High I am inspired by the younger skaters’ performances,” which seems to be Sota-kun’s comment. Then the announcer introduced him like, “He came back to the ice last season and this season he jumped a quad at Japan Nationals making such a great comeback that it does not make us feel that he had not skated for two years.”

He skated to “Air on the G String” in the well lit rink as in competition and I was pleased to be able to see his moves clearly.
In terms of jumps, he popped his opening 3A to 2A, but it was a big jump and it looks like it opened in the middle. Next jump was a solo triple (could be 3F but maybe 3T. Sorry I’m not sure), and his last jumps were 3Lz+3T. In SP he used to jump 3Lz+3T as his second jump but this time he backloaded it!

To earn higher points he may try this layout at the upcoming Challenge Cup!?
I was getting more and more excited and looking forward to watch Sota-kun at the next event.
Of course, his skating, spins, and steps were exquisite this time again. He was given a big round of applause and he saluted the audience with a smile. As a special guest he showed the younger skaters what a fantastic skater he was.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you for the translation as always, Rainbow! I guess Sota is going to fly to Europe tomorrow so he arrives on Tuesday n time to rest and get over jet leg before Wednesday's draw. Good luck to him in The Hague! It's not going to be a walk in the park for him, but the most important thing for me is that he's still healthy and happy once the competition is over. A podium finish would be a bonus, but in this field, I am far from sure he can manage that. This is what our boy needs: https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x6xdk2h Over 230 points altogether, a clean performance, and two 3A - solo and in a 3A2T combo!... But it's the Junior Inter High School Meet 2015, a year before the injury. Still, it was an amazing FP to watch (he skates 3rd after Taichiro and Sena, around 11 mins into the video). I'll substitute it for the non functional link in the OP once the season is over.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Good luck to him in The Hague! It's not going to be a walk in the park for him, but the most important thing for me is that he's still healthy and happy once the competition is over. A podium finish would be a bonus, but in this field, I am far from sure he can manage that.
We'll do our best to cheer him to victory! :yahoo:

surimi

Record Breaker
I'm leaving for the Hague soon. The only wish I have for Sota is that he is happy and both enters and leaves the competition healthy. If he manages to get a medal, all the better, but it's not the most important thing to me. Best of luck, Sota! :dance:

OniBan

Final Flight
I've recently got to watching Sota's skating videos (or the few that survived YT anyway) and I think I have another favourite skater? On top of that, I find his spirit and perseverance in the face of what could have been a career ending adversity - absolutely inspiring. I hope he will keep taking small but sure steps ahead, and remain injury free in the future.

For those who are going to Challenger Cup, please cheer especially hard for him on behalf of us who won't be there!!