Rio Nakata | Golden Skate

Rio Nakata

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Rio Nakata

Rio Nakata was born September 8, 2008, in Cardiff, Great Britain, and represents Japan. He currently resides in Chiba, Japan, and is coached by Makoto Nakata and Kensuke Nakaniwa.

ISU Bio

Instagram
rionakata0908

ISU Personal Bests
[/CENTER]

Personal Best Total Score229.3102.03.2024ISU World Junior Championships 2024
Personal Best Score Short Program77.6029.02.2024ISU World Junior Championships 2024
Personal Best Score Free Skating160.0609.12.2023ISU Grand Prix Final 2023/24

Programs and Videos
Season 2024-25
SP: Aroul/Uccen
FS:

Season 2023-24
SP: "God Particle" and "160 Bpm" by Hans Zimmer
FS: "Blunt lnstrument" by David Arnold, "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith and "James Bond Theme (Bond vs Oakenfold)" by David Arnold

Season 2022-23
SP: "Believer" by Imagine Dragons
FS: "Blunt lnstrument" by David Arnold, "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith and "James Bond Theme (Bond vs Oakenfold)" by David Arnold

Competitive History

Last edited by a moderator:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Happy birthday Rio and congratulations for grabbing the silver in JGP Istanbul! :hap10:

With a gold and a silver, I think it's almost certain that he's going to the GP Final. Very exciting for him as he was the first substitute last year.

Figskater23

Final Flight
So technically Rio could skate at the senior level next season right? He is 15 now and by this time next year he’ll be 16.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
So technically Rio could skate at the senior level next season right? He is 15 now and by this time next year he’ll be 16.
No, I'm pretty sure next season the senior minimum age will be 17. That will be the 2nd and last age increases as per that landmark ISU conference.

So Rio will not be senior eligible until 26/27 season. I actually don't mind him staying in juniors for 1 more season, he still has a lot of things to learn and grow. Moving to seniors prematurely will only disadvantage him, especially with the depth of the male Japanese seniors field.

Last edited:

Figskater23

Final Flight
No, I'm pretty sure next season the senior minimum age will be 17. That will be the 2nd and last age increases as per that landmark ISU conference.

So Rio will not be senior eligible until 25/26 season. I actually don't mind him staying in juniors for 1 more season, he still has a lot of things to learn and grow. Moving to seniors prematurely will only disadvantage him, especially with the depth of the male Japanese seniors field.
Does that also mean he won’t be of age to go to the 2026 Olympics?

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Does that also mean he won’t be of age to go to the 2026 Olympics?
Yes, unfortunately he will just miss the cut-off for the 2026 Olympics, like Mao Shimada.
He will turn 17 in September 2025 while the cut-off is July 1.

But even if he was going to be eligible for 2026 Olympics, it will be very tough getting to the team with Shoma, Yuma, Kao, Kazuki, Sota, Koshiro etc around....

Note that I was slightly wrong in my previous post, Rio will be eligible for seniors starting season 26/27, not 25/26. I have corrected my post for clarity :)

Figskater23

Final Flight
Well with the first week of 2024 almost done (or maybe is depending on the different time zones), it’s going to be an interesting end to the 2023-2024 season with the youth Olympics coming up. When is it? How many for Team Japan can enter? Nakata is first choice for the men? Is there Worlds for the junior skaters?

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Well with the first week of 2024 almost done (or maybe is depending on the different time zones), it’s going to be an interesting end to the 2023-2024 season with the youth Olympics coming up. When is it? How many for Team Japan can enter? Nakata is first choice for the men? Is there Worlds for the junior skaters?
The Winter Youth Olympics is on 19 Jan - 1 Feb 2024! And Japan have 2 entries each for both men and women.
Nakata and Haru Kakiuchi have been chosen based on their Junior Nationals results.

And yes, there is Worlds for Juniors 😊 The junior men sent from Japan are the same as YOG plus Shunsuke Nakamura (who is too old to go to Youth Olympics).

So Rio is going to both Youth Olympics and Junior Worlds! :jump: