Cool TV theme songs that would be cool for skating programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cool TV theme songs that would be cool for skating programs

creaturelover

On the Ice
I have spent a genuinely humiliating amount of time trying to come up with ideas for GoT character programs. I have concluded that Dany would be the easiest to do. Her themes are all nice and exciting and seem easy to skate to. Gracie, Liza, Ashley, Elena, Kanako, Cesario...I think it could be a really great vehicle for a lot of different girls.

Me too, love those scores!

GraceMacLaine

Rinkside
I'd really love to see any of the above go for a Cersei Lannister theme. Just take command of The Rains of Castamere. Yes I know the song isn't so much for her in the books or the show but the Lannisters play it to show their dominance and man does Cersei like to dominate.

I would love to see this as well. It could be a nice dive moment. Unfortunately there aren't that many Cersei's themes in the show and most of them ar sort of spare and slow and mournful and might be really hard to skate to.

What I would love to see is a RW program in character as Catelyn. You could just really go totally nuts like she (tragically) does in the book. Hair tearing, throat, clawing. Would love to see that incorporated in the choreography. And the track has lots of good tempo changes and such.

So happy to see others on the Inspector Morse train…

Speaking of detectives, the Granada Sherlock Holmes, the Jeremy Brett one, has a great theme too.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
cheerknithanson - I loved "Rescue Rangers" and "Captain Planet" when I was growing up!!! But, I'm not sure whether they would work as skating music (Yes, I know Captain Planet was a typo. But, I still don't think it would work!)

I know someone's skated a long program to Doctor Who before but I don't think anyone has used the main/opening theme (but the show itself has some AMAZING pieces of music that I hope will one day be explored as potential program music)

This cover of the Sesame Street theme

I'm waiting for the day someone skates an exhibition to the Pokémon theme. Maybe a certain instrumental cover could make an entertaining short program.

I've discussed the Doctor Who theme a few times in various threads (eg. here) we have had over the past few years. So, it's good to see somebody would choose it too. (And it's the version that I would have picked too!)

LOVE that Sesame Street cover. And it's not just because I was brought up on the programme. I would never have imagined that that song could be so beautiful.

Anyway, onto my choices.

I have long complained about there not being enough rock music in figure skating. And, during the WTT gala, I noticed somebody else commenting the same. So, for those of us that appreciate a bit of rock, how about these?

Ron Wasserman – “Go Go Power Rangers
Muff Murfin – “Gladiators” Theme Tune

OK, so I have suggested those 2 tunes before in another thread! But, there are new members posting in this thread!

Let me think of some more, and I'll get back to you

CaroLiza_fan

MalAssada

Medalist
I adore this GOT piece called The Children. Not as repetitive as the Main Theme, but similar enough to be recognized.

It would creep me out hearing The Rains of Castamere, but I guess that is the effect the creators were trying to get.

And please, can someone skate to Downton Abbey's theme? I love this cover.

Finally, there was a War and Peace miniseries in 2007 which won my heart. This is its theme.

burntBREAD

Medalist
My absolute favorite show, 30 Rock has a huge selection of music/soundtracks since it frequently has background music. All of it is very modern and jazzy, and could make for a very playful program.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
cheerknithanson - I loved "Rescue Rangers" and "Captain Planet" when I was growing up!!! But, I'm not sure whether they would work as skating music (Yes, I know Captain Planet was a typo. But, I still don't think it would work!)

Like I said in my 1st post, I had "Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers" in a mix with two other theme song. In that mix, I planned a CCoSp3p4, a 3F-3Lo, and 3A in that order for that song.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There've been some pretty cool sports intros over the years.

And here is another, which I have previously suggested in yet another thread:

Douglas Wood – “Drag Racer

Yep, it's the BBC's snooker theme tune!

Moving swiftly on before I get lynched, I have been trying to think of more themes from children's programmes I watched when growing up, and I just HAD to include Bosco.

Bosco was the flagship children's programme on Irish state broadcaster RTÉ in the 1980's. Unfortunately, the original titles are less than a minute long

However, a band from Dublin have very kindly transformed it into a full length rock song:

We Were Born – “I'm the Boss

More to follow as I think of them!

CaroLiza_fan

Well, if we're going for children's themes, Captain Kangaroo sounds like a waltz or polka to me…I am terrible at time signatures.

I also like the Art of Noise's version of Dragnet (and their version of Peter Gunn is pretty good too).

I'd like some Mike Post - Rockford Files, Hill Street Blues. I think you could use a couple of Earle Hagen ones too - I Spy and Andy Griffith. (I have a great CD of CBS themes). People have used his Harlem Nocturne (used for the 80s Mike Hammer).

Stewart Copeland's music for the Equalizer would be interesting.

Lalo Schiffrin has a dynamite arrangement of his Mission:Impossible themes but the version I have has terrible sound quality (not that that stopped Butrskya and that scratchy version of Otonal).

ETA - seconding the Downton Abbey and Doctor Who suggestions.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

No Rescue Rangers for me, but I loved Captain Planet! BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED!

Also was a huge Power Rangers fan. And Angry Beavers, Animals of Farthing Wood, Arthur, Hey Arnold, Ahhh! Real Monsters, and a bunch of other really great kids' shows that the kids of this generation have missed out on. :(

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No Rescue Rangers for me, but I loved Captain Planet! BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED!

Also was a huge Power Rangers fan. And Angry Beavers, Animals of Farthing Wood, Arthur, Hey Arnold, Ahhh! Real Monsters, and a bunch of other really great kids' shows that the kids of this generation have missed out on. :(

I know! But I believe there are still good kids' shows out there that kids watch today. No. TV has not gotten bad, we're just naturally nostalgic.

And the song that I meant to say instead of Captain Planet was M.A.S.K.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what the rules are about music for ice dance, but I could picture the True Detective theme as an interesting "wild west" themed free dance (it's a duet, so I don't know if it would work for a singles skater, & not really dynamic enough for pairs, I don't think). I don't really like the show, but the music is very good.

The American Horror Story theme could work, I think, for the right skater...maybe it would need to be cut with some other music from the show, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJGHL3lnSM

Lenny318

On the Ice
I'm not familiar with the rest of the soundtrack as it's been years since I've seen the show (totally not bitter about it ending after one season at all...), but I think you could mesh the Firefly opening with tracks from the show for an interesting program.

Last edited:

kimberlygay

Spectator
I like the True Detective theme. Also, how about Penny Dreadful by Abel Kormiewski? Skaters have used his W.E. And Romeo and Juliet.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
"Paradise Circus" by Massive Attack. Soundtrack/theme for LUTHER