Nathan Chen | Page 913 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker

sheetz

Record Breaker
On CBC's That Figure Skating Show, Kurt B talks about Nathan and Yuzu. (Geoblocked so need VPN if not in Canada)
https://youtu.be/EF-nixpudaY

Regarding Nathan:
--He feels Nathan is still recreating himself.
--Obviously has the jumps but Kurt feels he will be remembered for his versatility.
--Thinks we still haven't seen all the ways in which he can move to music.
--Could still surprise us in the next few years with a new choreographer, feeling, and energy on the ice.
--He's light on his feet, has his own way of moving, and youthful. Brings a cool, hip factor to figure skating.

---------------------------------------
Yana asked Nathan about bringing back Nemesis for the Oly
https://twitter.com/hideg_y/status/1205600132303065091
"I'd love to!I've already done it so many times in shows,don't want it to become sorta...Boring,but I really loved the program,so maybe I'll do something similar,but I've no idea."

---------------------------------------
Leap with Kostornaia
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2019/status/1205621464788979712

chanchan

On the Ice
Nemesis is a wonderful progarm, but Nathan please don't reuse any of ur programs. :pray:
You have so much potential to be developed.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nemesis is still my favorite program.

But it was kind of a traumatic experience the last time:(. Even though he’s emerged from it so much stronger, I think it would be best not to revisit it at the Olympics.

I’m still hoping for an amazing classical program for one of his Olympic programs!

discode

Final Flight
Nemesis for an OG exhibition would be pretty neat. But otherwise, I want something new every season.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I want to see Nathan do a full length Movement or other Hozier piece with Sergei Polunin inspired movement, even if it's just an exhibition.

Ella5555

On the Ice
I want to see Nathan do a full length Movement or other Hozier piece with Sergei Polunin inspired movement, even if it's just an exhibition.

Couldn’t agree with you more - that would be an absolutely fabulous program. BTW, his last performance of Nemesis at ATS was perfection. I don’t think there is anything more that he could do with it.

Tahuu

On the Ice
The Chinese twitter account posted the technical break of Nathan’s free skate, including transitions, steps, etc, The YouTube video has been blocked, but the four part twitter videos work for me
https://twitter.com/NathanChinese/status/1205142442544173056?s=20

Twitter video Part 1
https://twitter.com/NathanChinese/status/1205141432727678977?s=20

Part 2
https://twitter.com/NathanChinese/status/1205281374434926592?s=20
Part 3
https://twitter.com/NathanChinese/status/1205282369797869568?s=20
Part 4
https://twitter.com/NathanChinese/status/1205282810459836422?s=20

So grateful that @NathanChinese has put out an accurate translation of the analysis. So I am editing out my poor translation.

Updated video
https://weibointl.api.weibo.cn/share/108236879.html?weibo_id=4449257895191342

English subtitles
https://twitter.com/NathanChinese/status/1206223191078666240

Nathan Chen 2019 GPF Free Skate Analysis

cw 3-turn
Left leg swing and upper body movements connecting crossovers in two directions
RBO-RFI 3-turn followed by Mohawk
4F3T
(This is Nathan’s first attempt of 4F3T this season. This jump has been kept in relatively high quality during his senior years
No hesitation in entering the jump, tight air position, both jumps landed on the beat of the music. Good rhythm, effortless landing. This could be awarded 4-5 in raw GOE)
Hop
Right leg swing and upper body movement matching the lyrics
Choctaw
Upper body movement corresponding to the lyrics and music
cw Mohawk on a high note of the music
Choctaw
4Lz
Exit with ccw spread eagle on the outside edge
(4Lz has always been one of Nathan’s stronger jumps. Its success rate has been high this season.
Entry from Choctaw, deep outside edge at the moment of takeoff, good height and distance, effortless. Could be awarded 3-4 in raw GOE)
Exit with ccw spread eagle on the outside edge
Successive crossover and edge changes with shifts in center of gravity
cc Mohawk followed by 3-turn highlighting the entrance of the strings
cw Mohawk
ccw spread eagle on the outside edge
RFO to RBI 3-turn, change of foot
4TEu3S
(4T has the highest success rate among Nathan’s quads. This combination has a difficult spread eagle entry
The overall execution is good but the first landing is not strong enough and interrupts the flow. Judges who place more emphasis on the quality of jumps might give +2 or +3)
Chasse
Double twizzle followed by knee slide
CCSp
Camel spin with change of outside edge as difficult feature (6 revolutions)
Change of foot followed by difficult variation of basic camel position (4 revolutions)
Difficult catch-foot position
(This change foot camel spin receives level 4
Difficult camel upward position and the number of revolutions after edge (2 revolutions) fulfill the requirements
After change of foot, the number of revolutions in camel position is sufficient and the maintenance of the difficult catch-foot position is good
Overall well executed. The spin is centered and maintains speed. Could be awarded +3 to +4 raw GOE)
ccw Mohawk followed by 3-Turn
Backward cross rolls corresponding to music transition
3-Turn
3-Turn
cw Mohawk
Long curve with change of edge on one foot
3A (landed on the drum beat)
(Nathan used to struggle with axels. But since last season, this jump has become his most consistent jump and shown great improvement
This triple axel has good height and distance, tight air position, good take-off and landing
It’s worth noting that this jump is landed on the crescendo and is therefore exciting to watch. Thus it could be awarded +4 in raw GOE)
StSq
Choctaw
LFO-LBO-LFO Rocker-Counter-Loop
RFO-RBI Bracket
RFO-RBO-RFO Rocker-Counter-
Double Twizzle
Coupe jete-change of edge on one foot an a curve-Loop
Chasse- double Twizzle on bent knees-Loop
Choctaw-right leg swing matching the music
(Rules on step sequence
This step sequence receives a level 3
The level is most likely lost due to a mistake on the bracket’s edge usage
For an RFO to RBI bracket, it’s supposed to be an outside edge here but at the moment of turning Nathan’s edge becomes flat, resulting in loss of difficulty
The two one-foot clusters are well done
The first two turns in both one-foot clusters are Rocker-Counter and well executed in both directions
Twizzles in two directions create different impressions: together with upper body movements. One going upward and the other one going downward
This step sequence takes place at the start of the second piece of music and has obvious roles in connecting different parts of the program
It helps to create a proud and confident character. It’s reasonable to give GOE of +3 to +4)
RFO-RBO Bracket
cw Mohawk
ccw Mohawk
ccw Mohawk
RBO-RFI 3Turn-ccw Mohawk
4S
(Relatively speaking, 4S is less frequently seen in Nathan’s programs
But usually makes its way there in the second half of the season
Flip is Nathan’s best jump and flip is sometimes colloquially called the toe-assisted version of Salchow.
So he has very similar entry into both jumps. It’s high and floaty, covers good distance, has stable axis and tight body position. Could be awarded +4 in GOE)
Spread eagle on the inside edge- Twizzle on bent knees-3-Turn
RFO-RBI 3-Turn
Change of edge on one foot with free leg swinging back-and-forth
LFO-LBI 3-turn
4T
(Making 4T the second last jump shows Nathan’s confidence in it
It’s stable as always and has good height and distance. His jumps at this competition are in their best shape
Since transitions into this jump are rather simple, it’s appropriate to award a raw GOE of +3)
LFI-LBI Rocker
LFO-LBI 3-Turn
Choctaw
Mohawk-Choctaw entry
3Lz3T
(Having 3Lz3T as the last jump traces all the way back to Nathan’s free skate in his first year as a senior
The rhythm of this jump is good. As the last jumping pass it’s rather effortless. However, the landing of the second jump is not that perfect, so it’s appropriate to award +3)
Continuous 3-Turns and Illusion entry into spin
CCoSp
Sit spin for 6 revolutions
After change of foot, four revolutions for each of the three difficult positions
(The design of the three spins maximizes the base value within the range of Nathan’s ability
The number of revolutions before and after change of foot is clearly sufficient
The three difficult positions are also well-maintained throughout. The speed is relatively high and uniform and the center is strong. So it can be awarded +4)
ChSq
Hop into slide
Choctaw-Loop
Hip-hop dance in place
Hop with two feet leaving ice and landing at the same time followed by 3-turns
Upper body hip-hop movements
(Choreographic sequence is set to Bonnie and the Jets
As a rap song at the end of the program, it clearly aims to brighten the mood and excite the audience
Nathan learned this hip-hop dance with a professional. With his outstanding stamina and solid training in dance, he’s able to internalize the style and the choreography.
Dancing to such intense music with hip-hop rhythm at the end of the program is tremendous test of stamina, and Nathan pulls it off well.
The performance is very entertaining and deserves +5 in raw GOE)
3-Turn-Ina Bauer-change of edge on one foot
Kick jump followed by besti squat
Butterfly entry
FCCoSp
Difficult back camel variation
Jump on the same foot to enter into sit spin
Four revolutions for each of the three difficult positions after change of foot
Scratch spin
(This combination spin shows different features clearly
If one is to nitpick, the difficult jump entry into sit spin is a bit shaky.
The number of revolutions before and after change of foot is good. Speed and center are well maintained. So it could be awarded +3 to +4 in GOE)

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight

Wow, what happend, he's full on smiling, showing his teeth! I can hardly believe it, but glad to see that beautiful smile of his.

--Obviously has the jumps but Kurt feels he will be remembered for his versatility.

No he won't.
To me he surely is one of the most versatile skaters out there at the moment, capable of embodying many different styles of music and I don't think he gets enough credit for it, but let's be realistic, most people don't recognise that. Even this season people were seriously comparing his execution of La Boheme to Nemesis in terms of style and mood (some even compared it to Caravan). I mean, come on. Just because it had a similar spreadeagle sequence and a passionate step sequence... :rolleye:

This video is without sound and I think watching him without hearing the music, really emphasises how different the choreo and the way he moves are, and imo he's doing a wonderful job of portraying the idea and mood of that song, but a lot of people will still argue that his performance doesn't have enough refinement and precision or doesn't fit the music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xypm5xSiwI

Yana asked Nathan about bringing back Nemesis for the Oly
https://twitter.com/hideg_y/status/1205600132303065091

I've actually been wondering about this, too. I think we all agree that it seems like Nathan doesn't like repeating programs. Plus, with Nemesis, he's done it so often at shows, that it would be even more boring for him I guess. But then again, Nemesis was so unique and special, and he seems to feel the same about it, that it would still feel kinda appropriate if he repeated it at the next games and hopefully got a sort of closure on it.

But with all that being true, I'd still rather see new material from him. Kinda trying to get as much content as possible from him, especially when considering that he will for sure retire after next Olys.

Ella5555

On the Ice
But with all that being true, I'd still rather see new material from him. Kinda trying to get as much content as possible from him, especially when considering that he will for sure retire after next Olys.

For sure? Do you have some inside scoop?

1111bm

Final Flight
For sure? Do you have some inside scoop?

No, but I think there was some info/rumours (?) floating around that he was gonna retire after Pyeongchang, assuming he would have placed well.
And really, he seems to wanna move on with his live and education, and I don't see him putting his life on hold for another four years, should he not reach his personal goals at next Olys. Placing well at the Games after that would be even less likely, so why sacrifice so much on that off chance.

And no matter the outcome, there's really no incentive for him to stay past the next Games. He's already achieved almost everything except for winning/medalling at the Olympics, and as much as he seems to enjoy competing, it's a tough lifestyle. And the older you get the harder it is, add to that possible injuries and the wear and tear to your body. So I'm not sure why he would wanna stay unless he'd have (a) specific goal(s).

sheetz

Record Breaker
Even if he wins OGM I can see Nathan continuing, depending on how close he is to various records. For instance, I believe Dick Button has the record for most US Nationals wins with 7. But if Nathan wins the next 3 he will only have 6.

Ella5555

On the Ice
It’s probably too early to say one way or the other. I’m guessing that Nathan may not even know for sure himself (a lot of factors to consider), though he’s probably leaning one way or the other. Both education and skating seem to be very important to him (with education taking priority at some point). I guess the key for us is to enjoy it while it lasts. With than in mind, I’d prefer to see new programs as well each year - much as I’ve enjoyed both Nemesis and Caravan.

1111bm

Final Flight
Even if he wins OGM I can see Nathan continuing, depending on how close he is to various records. For instance, I believe Dick Button has the record for most US Nationals wins with 7. But if Nathan wins the next 3 he will only have 6.

I'm not sure he's interested in records and such. He's certainly not rushing to learn a quad Axel or being the first to land some fancy new combo (such as a quad as the second jump in a combo) and things like that (ok, the 4A one is rather impossible for him lol). I think he's content with some of the 'firsts' that he got when he was younger, but he seems to have other priorities now and is willing to sacrifice certain records and titles for being able to lead a college life.