Shoma Uno | Page 629 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

rabidline

Final Flight
Sho will skate at Stars on Ice Kanazawa in April :)
https://twitter.com/yawning_shoma/status/1085119424875638785?s=20

Is this just the beginning? Will he do 644743142 ice shows in the off season as usual? Stay tuned.
If so I’m not complaining, last off season was so much fun

Oooh that's a nice cast, and in Kanazawa too! I think that leg of Stars on Ice is supposed to be at Osaka/Sapporo/Kanazawa and if Shoma ends up doing only Kanazawa, maybe that means he'll do other ice shows in the summer? I'm pretty happy with the variety of shows/events Shoma did last off-season, they're evenly spaced in the schedule and he get to do a lot of different things too.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He spent about three weeks in Canada last summer and skipped a few shows. Wonder if he'll do that again this year. I think they were working with the Montreal team on his Moonlight Shomata. It was time well spent.

rabidline

Final Flight
I'll look for more confirmation, but it seems that Shoma is assigned to compete at the International Challenge Cup at The Hague, Netherlands (February 21-24, 2019):

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190116-00000052-sph-spo

He's assigned with Sota, Yuma, Rika Kihira, and Wakaba.

Hopefully this means that his recovery is going well :pray: also... Shoma in Europe!!!!

Edit: It seems that all competitors are assigned for senior level.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll look for more confirmation, but it seems that Shoma is assigned to compete at the International Challenge Cup at The Hague, Netherlands (February 21-24, 2019):

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190116-00000052-sph-spo

He's assigned with Sota, Yuma, Rika Kihira, and Wakaba.

Hopefully this means that his recovery is going well :pray: also... Shoma in Europe!!!!

Edit: It seems that all competitors are assigned for senior level.

Oh my! This will make a lot of people VERY happy. That looks like quite a stellar cast being sent by JSF! Ok all European DBC members, get your reservations and tickets going! Lucky you! :clap:
https://www.schaatsen.nl/kalender/2019/2/challenge-cup-en/

Additional info on Sho's condition. https://twitter.com/yawning_shoma/status/1085419093765877760?s=20

Thank you to sayaka for listing the recent Challenger assignments:
Bavarian Open (2/5~10) Satoko Miyahara, Yuna Aoki, Koshiro Shimada, Yuto Kishina

Challenge Cup (2/21~24) Shoma Uno, Rika Kihira, Sota Yamamoto, Yuma Kagiyama, Wakaba Higuchi

Winter Universiade (3/2~12) Kazuki Tomono, Shu Nakamura, Hiroaki Sato, Mai Mihara, Hina Takeno

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
What's a 'passe-partout' ticket? An all-event ticket? Definitely want to go b/c of Sota, but as I'm a Shoma fan too, I'll look forward to seeing him live for the first time too if I can go! He's usually at high-profile events I cannot attend, but this might be more in my price range. So, fellow Shoma fans, should I hurry buying tickets? Are the tickets for Shoma competitions usually sold out very quickly?

OniBan

Final Flight
Wait.. does this mean he is doing 4CC ..AND this ICC competition? Both in February? ��

(not that I question his and his team decision but yes I do question it now: WHY??!) This feels like a bit TOO much competitions in a short amount of time. I'm actually quite worried about the wear and tear on his body this season (clutching his knee at the end of FS at Lombardia Trophy, uncharacteristic mistakes in the GP series, obvious discomfort and straining of legs after Skate Canada while getting to the K&C, that pop on the axel +clutching of knee at JN), but after the ankle injury I thought he could be afforded some rest time finally to just recover and recuperate. I kinda hoped he would even turn down 4CC (haha) but, now, to do 2 comps in 2 different parts of the world in the same month with the kind of jump layout he has? I'm kinda scared to be honest. I know I'm worrying too much maybe, but I. Am. Worried :hopelessness:

That's all though, rant over. Regardless of how I feel - I really hope he will get good results (and come out of it injury free).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wait.. does this mean he is doing 4CC ..AND this ICC competition? Both in February? ��

(not that I question his and his team decision but yes I do question it now: WHY??!) This feels like a bit TOO much competitions in a short amount of time. I'm actually quite worried about the wear and tear on his body (clutching his knee at the end of FS at Lombardia Trophy, uncharacteristic mistakes in the GP series, obvious discomfort and straining of legs after Skate Canada while getting to the K&C, that pop on the axel +clutching of knee at JN), but after the ankle injury I thought he could be afforded some rest time finally to just recover and recuperate. I kinda hoped he would even turn down 4CC (haha) but, now, to do 2 comps in 2 different parts of the world in the same month with the kind of jump layout he has? I'm kinda scared to be honest. I know I'm worrying too much maybe, but I am worried :hopelessness:

That's all though, rant over. Regardless of how I feel - I really hope he will get good results (and come out of it injury free).

Actually it's the usual Shoma pattern in a non-Olympic year, OniBan. Shoma is a very hard worker. No reason to worry. In 2017 he went to Asian Winter Games and Coupe du Printemps in Luxembourg between 4CC and Worlds.

OniBan

Final Flight
Actually it's the usual Shoma pattern in a non-Olympic year, OniBan. Shoma is a very hard worker. No reason to worry. In 2017 he went to Asian Winter Games and Coupe du Printemps in Luxembourg between 4CC and Worlds.

I am aware of that, and somehow that didn't make me feel better hahahaha .. I guess I am just worried about his longevity. Sometimes less is more. And human bodies have their limits and lifespan, it can endure so much at one time before it gives out when he is older. I thought after a couple of years of pushing the 'more than the usual amount of competitions' envelope (on top of the gazillion ice shows he does every summer) he could afford to slow down and pace it out a bit than have everything happen all at once.

But again, I'm no skating coach, so I may be wrong ... I'll just pray and hope for the best for him!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I am aware of that, and somehow that didn't make me feel better hahahaha .. I guess I am just worried about his longevity. Sometimes less is more. And human bodies have their limits and lifespan, it can endure so much at one time before it gives out when he is older. I thought after a couple of years of pushing the 'more than the usual amount of competitions' envelope (on top of the gazillion ice shows he does every summer) he could afford to slow down and pace it out a bit than have everything happen all at once.

But again, I'm no skating coach, so I may be wrong ... I'll just pray and hope for the best for him!

Shoma is at the height of his physical fitness and this is his time, career-wise. His ankle must be okay, or they wouldn't have decided he should go. It makes sense to go to many competitions. AND japanese skaters are like that. They barely have any holidays, in an interview Kanako Murakami said that she didn't have days off and vacation, was really surprised when she heard foreign skaters talking about that. Might be something in Yamada group specifically but they all compete a lot. Longevity....... Like I said. His time is now and this is normal. No need to worry.

rabidline

Final Flight

(not that I question his and his team decision but yes I do question it now: WHY??!) This feels like a bit TOO much competitions in a short amount of time. I'm actually quite worried about the wear and tear on his body this season (clutching his knee at the end of FS at Lombardia Trophy, uncharacteristic mistakes in the GP series, obvious discomfort and straining of legs after Skate Canada while getting to the K&C, that pop on the axel +clutching of knee at JN), but after the ankle injury I thought he could be afforded some rest time finally to just recover and recuperate. I kinda hoped he would even turn down 4CC (haha) but, now, to do 2 comps in 2 different parts of the world in the same month with the kind of jump layout he has? I'm kinda scared to be honest. I know I'm worrying too much maybe, but I. Am. Worried :hopelessness:

Being worried is normal, OniBan. I also am while wanting only the best for Shoma as well.

To alleviate your worries a bit, Lombardia was the first time Shoma did his Free Skate with competition layout under the new rules. All those quads and combos in a 4 minutes Free Skate takes a lot out of all the male skaters, including Shoma, especially because Shoma has a 4-quad layout. As the season moves forward, I think Shoma has improved his stamina to deal with it, you can see him in Skate Canada (full steam at the start but running out of gas at the end), and in NHK and GPF he seems to have distributed his power more evenly.

And of course at Nationals, Shoma have told us that he did pull/sprain his ankle in one of the warm-up practices before SP, which have attributed to the pop at the axel and his performances.

As for uncharacteristic mistakes at the GP series... I do love Shoma, but there are days when he doesn't go clean, and it happens.

I am also worried with the new schedule (to be fair I worry about Shoma almost all the time.. I'm like this with my favorites). At the same time, I think Shoma also wants more ice and competition time especially after the long rest after nationals? If he's been focusing on recovery, that means less ice and practice time for him, and historically he's a skater who have used minor competitions to improve and get more confidence in his programs. The rest between 4CC and Worlds is quite long, it makes sense that Shoma would want the competition in between. The good thing is after Challenge Cup, Shoma will be fully Japan-bound even if he gets assigned to WTT and this season, he has had good results in Japan.

Plus, Shoma has Demi-san on his side ;) Having a personal trainer doesn't guarantee you'll be injury-free, but having someone like Demi-san with him assures me that Shoma is also looking out for his longetivity. I still worry, but I try to believe in him :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am so happy for all the European DBC who will get to see Shomajesty! This is great news for Shoma fans!:dance::party2::dbana:

OniBan

Final Flight
Being worried is normal, OniBan. I also am while wanting only the best for Shoma as well.

To alleviate your worries a bit, Lombardia was the first time Shoma did his Free Skate with competition layout under the new rules. All those quads and combos in a 4 minutes Free Skate takes a lot out of all the male skaters, including Shoma, especially because Shoma has a 4-quad layout. As the season moves forward, I think Shoma has improved his stamina to deal with it, you can see him in Skate Canada (full steam at the start but running out of gas at the end), and in NHK and GPF he seems to have distributed his power more evenly.

And of course at Nationals, Shoma have told us that he did pull/sprain his ankle in one of the warm-up practices before SP, which have attributed to the pop at the axel and his performances.

As for uncharacteristic mistakes at the GP series... I do love Shoma, but there are days when he doesn't go clean, and it happens.

I am also worried with the new schedule (to be fair I worry about Shoma almost all the time.. I'm like this with my favorites). At the same time, I think Shoma also wants more ice and competition time especially after the long rest after nationals? If he's been focusing on recovery, that means less ice and practice time for him, and historically he's a skater who have used minor competitions to improve and get more confidence in his programs. The rest between 4CC and Worlds is quite long, it makes sense that Shoma would want the competition in between. The good thing is after Challenge Cup, Shoma will be fully Japan-bound even if he gets assigned to WTT and this season, he has had good results in Japan.

Plus, Shoma has Demi-san on his side ;) Having a personal trainer doesn't guarantee you'll be injury-free, but having someone like Demi-san with him assures me that Shoma is also looking out for his longetivity. I still worry, but I try to believe in him :)

That actually does make me feel somewhat better, thanks rabidline. I'll still fret and worry, but I will always root for him regardless. I'd probably need to to give extra offerings to the skating gods to take care of Shoma, just in case :laugh:

(also last rant: Damnit Shoma! With that innocent, angelic face, you'd think he'd be more predictable and cause less anxiety to his fans (though it's probably just me that gets over-anxious), but NO! He had to do things like throw a 4T as a last jumping pass, throw in a HUGELY risky 4L at the freaking Olympics as the first jumping pass, be so totally shounen and macho as to skate through injury at World's and pass off the tears of pain as 'sweat', tried to hide an injury at JN until it was all over, go for what seems like the extreme end of 'more than usual amount of competitions' each year - I sometimes think he's either crazy or terribly reckless and I hate him and yet simultaneously love him for all these and more, because he won't be Shoma that he is without it :gaah: Being his fan is such a rollercoaster of emotion!)

Hronop

On the Ice
I've been thinking a lot about visiting Den Haag recently...

No, I haven't.

But I am going there anyway...

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, and he and his team said that during his senior debut season, he had way too long of a gap between Nats and 4CC and then another gap until Worlds. He stays in fighting shape by competing. Remember how surprised Dai was during that interview he did with Sho at Chukyo when Sho said he trains 7 days a week? Apparently Sho grew up seeing people like Mao and Kanako train like that, so he had never known anything different. I wonder if he is still resting 1 day a week as he promised Dai he would do? :whack:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No, I haven't.

It's always great to have a doctor in the house! There may be a few acute cases of Shomatitis. (BTW -- good to hear from you. We missed you)

Hronop

On the Ice
It's always great to have a doctor in the house! There may be a few acute cases of Shomatitis. (BTW -- good to hear from you. We missed you)

I've been doing my research. On Shomatitis, of course. :laugh2:
And writing a new post about jumping 'to music' as well, but it is only available in Russian at the moment...

rabidline

Final Flight

No, I haven't.

Have a great time, Dr. H!

Also I think I read your new "Jumping to the Music" article.. through Google Translate of course, but it was very comprehensive :luv17:

rabidline

Final Flight
That actually does make me feel somewhat better, thanks rabidline. I'll still fret and worry, but I will always root for him regardless. I'd probably need to to give extra offerings to the skating gods to take care of Shoma, just in case :laugh:

(also last rant: Damnit Shoma! With that innocent, angelic face, you'd think he'd be more predictable and cause less anxiety to his fans (though it's probably just me that gets over-anxious), but NO! He had to do things like throw a 4T as a last jumping pass, throw in a HUGELY risky 4L at the freaking Olympics as the first jumping pass, be so totally shounen and macho as to skate through injury at World's and pass off the tears of pain as 'sweat', tried to hide an injury at JN until it was all over, go for what seems like the extreme end of 'more than usual amount of competitions' each year - I sometimes think he's either crazy or terribly reckless and I hate him and yet simultaneously love him for all these and more, because he won't be Shoma that he is without it :gaah: Being his fan is such a rollercoaster of emotion!)

I'll join you with the extra offerings, OniBan. All the offerings for the prince!

Laughing and nodding at your rant- to think that Shoma actually is less 'Loco' this year compared to the years before... but still a roller-coaster! :biggrin: