Boston as a Tourist | Golden Skate

Boston as a Tourist

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
So, I, and I expect other fans who are coming for the week of Worlds, will want to decide on a few things to do, see and eat on top of the amazing competition.

Boston natives and seasoned travelers, let us know your:

• must-see places of interest
  • things to try
  • culinary delights
  • places to eat

in Boston. Then all of us can pick out a few highlights for our trips! Thanks! :)

tinlizzie

Final Flight
Regina Pizzeria is a MUST. There will be a line but it moves really fast. Go to the original location in the North End. Also, my favorite, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Boston is a wonderful city!

shyne

Final Flight
To me, March is not the best time of year to visit Boston. Sorry. I advised my friends to travel to WashingtonD.C. after the Worlds to see the cherry blossoms. :laugh:
If the weather's nice. I would walk the Freedom Trail. It's a piece of American history.
https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/book-tour/public-tours.shtml
There are many different tours offered by The Freedom Trail Foundation. Even if you are not interested in a group or individual tour, their website is very helpful at explaining all the stops on the Freedom Trail, and you can pick and choose if anywhere on there you want to spend more time with.
I normally take my friends there, and also Harvard and MIT, to get a photo with the Statue of the three lies in Harvard and the Stata Center (designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry) in MIT. Around the corner from MIT, there's Toscanini's Ice Cream, highly recommend.

Do not go on a whale watching trip in March. It's too cold in March and the sea is rough that time of the year. I would definitely recommend a whale watching trip between May-Sep.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sad to say, the Harvard Museum of Natural History is renovating the Glass Flowers exhibit, but there is still a display of some of the models.

http://hmnh.harvard.edu/glass-flowers

One of the museum’s most famous treasures is the internationally acclaimed Ware Collection of Blaschka Glass Models of Plants, the “Glass Flowers." This unique collection of over 4,000 models—some 3,000 on display—was created by the glass artisans, Leopold Blaschka and his son, Rudolf. The commission began in 1886, continued for five decades, and represents more than 830 plant species

yes the cactus flower shown is made of glass :eek:

I saw these 50 years ago and still remember them fondly.

justgottaskate

Rinkside
Oh there are SO many awesome things to do in Boston!!! My family is from Boston so it has become a second home to me. The stadium is located in the heart of the city so you can easily access everything in the morning before the events and in-between events.
The TD Garden is just over from my favourite part of Boston---THE NORTH END, AKA LITTLE ITALY! There are pizza parlours, Italian cuisine, and bakeries everywhere! :luv17:
-My favourite pizza parlour is Regina Pizzeria, which is super close to The Garden.
-My favourite bakery is Mike's Pastry, another favourite in my family is Modern Pastry.
-The Museum of Science is a world class facility and is just a few blocks from the TD Garden.
-The New England Aquarium is beautiful.
-Boston's Children's museum is fun for people of ALL AGES(not just kiddies!).
-Boston Commons & Boston Public Gardens
-Fanueil Hall is historical plus, there's the Quincy Market. So in one small area there is history, shopping and a lot of quick eats and restaurants.
-The Boston Duck Tours are a fun way to explore and learn about our historical city. The tour guides are great!

So, I, and I expect other fans who are coming for the week of Worlds, will want to decide on a few things to do, see and eat on top of the amazing competition.

Boston natives and seasoned travelers, let us know your:

• must-see places of interest
  • things to try
  • culinary delights
  • places to eat

in Boston. Then all of us can pick out a few highlights for our trips! Thanks! :)

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Great suggestions from others.

Harvard and MIT are interesting (in different ways). Easy access on the Red Line.

Walking along the Charles river.

Outside of Boston, Lexington is full of history. You can get there via train

Legal Seafood is an affordable, popular restaurant.

Too bad Filene's Basement closed - that was always a hoot!

A few local definitions. Intersections/small neighborhoods are called "squares", i.e. Harvard Sq, Porter Sq

As an American city, Boston is small and compact. Great for walking. Roads are not straight, some are one way, can change names several times. There is a Beacon St in Cambridge and one in Boston. Also North Beacon (aka NOT Beacon)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The TD Garden is just over from my favourite part of Boston---THE NORTH END, AKA LITTLE ITALY! There are pizza parlours, Italian cuisine, and bakeries everywhere! :luv17:

Oh. (You have immediately captured karne's interest.) Did you say Italian? *rubs hands together gleefully*

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Oh there are SO many awesome things to do in Boston!!! My family is from Boston so it has become a second home to me. The stadium is located in the heart of the city so you can easily access everything in the morning before the events and in-between events.
-My favourite pizza parlour is Regina Pizzeria, which is super close to The Garden.
-My favourite bakery is Mike's Pastry, another favourite in my family is Modern Pastry.
-The Museum of Science is a world class facility and is just a few blocks from the TD Garden.
-The New England Aquarium is beautiful.
-Boston's Children's museum is fun for people of ALL AGES(not just kiddies!).
-Boston Commons & Boston Public Gardens
-Fanueil Hall is historical plus, there's the Quincy Market. So in one small area there is history, shopping and a lot of quick eats and restaurants.
-The Boston Duck Tours are a fun way to explore and learn about our historical city. The tour guides are great!

Second everything on this list!

Other things:

- Children's Museum isn't only for kids, but they will make you leave a photo ID at admissions if you're unaccompanied by kids.

- Boston Public Library-McKim Building. I used to work there so I may be biased but it's definitely worth a visit if you like architecture and art. Renaissance Revival style building with murals, art galleries and a rare book collection. Must sees: Bates Hall, the courtyard, map center

- Panza and The Daily Catch are two of my favorite restaurants in the North End. Both can get incredibly crowded because of the size (just like most North End restaurants) but if you can reserve a table (Panza only) then it'd be worth it.

- Legal Seafood is an alternative if you want seafood but don't want to splurge. The Harborside location is rumored to be the best one. Haven't been but there's also one at Park Square, right by the Common and the Gardens, that is tucked away if you like quiet ambiance. If you're looking for one with a good view of the city, there's also another Legal Seafood inside Copley Place Mall.

- Chinatown is a good spot if you're craving for Asian food and bubble tea. It's on the Orange Line and takes about 10 minutes to get to from North Station/TD Garden. There's nothing to see except for the Chinatown gate so just come here for the food. A few restaurants are open until 1-2AM. If anyone needs any recommendations in Chinatown, let me know. This is my hood. :)

- Boston Public Market is above Haymarket Station. (Orange Line, 1 stop away.) You could totally walk to this place in less than 10 minutes. Good spot to pick up a quick bite but limited seating.

- Charles Street in Beacon Hill has some interesting shops. Lots of antique shops if you're into that. Plus boutiques!

- Fenway Park. Home to the Red Sox. :)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Apologies if this has already been asked. How does one get to Harvard from the TD Garden? Does the T take you there?

nguyhm

On the Ice
- Chinatown is a good spot if you're craving for Asian food and bubble tea. It's on the Orange Line and takes about 10 minutes to get to from North Station/TD Garden. There's nothing to see except for the Chinatown gate so just come here for the food. A few restaurants are open until 1-2AM. If anyone needs any recommendations in Chinatown, let me know. This is my hood. :)
I'm so glad you offered to give recommendations for Chinatown, and like you said, I'd be there for the food :agree:. My favorite Asian dishes are banh mi, pho and soup dumplings. Any advice on where to go for them would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

nguyhm

On the Ice
A big thank you to everyone for all the recommendations, I am looking forward to seeing Boston for the first time and coming from texas I'm super excited and will try to behave. I heard that it will still be cold there in March, what is the average temperature during that time?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

shyne

Final Flight
I heard that it will still be cold there in March, what is the average temperature during that time?

Winter this year is mild so far. Not sure what's like in two months.
According to the US climate data, the average high is 48F (9C), average low is 34F (1C) for the week of the competition.