"Your" scoring of the 2016 Worlds' Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"Your" scoring of the 2016 Worlds' Ladies

Callycal

Rinkside
One of my best friends we always get together and score events.

I won't go into great details as we still have to do the LP, and I erased the spreadsheet calculations after we populated standings LOL..but at any rate.

the GOE and SS is just a cushion for the judges to protect. I agree with your standings with the exception of Satoko who is given much less skating skills than Hongbo...she had a good performance but I can't get with her posture...and some other basic skating fundamentals.

SP we had the results as...
Anna Pogorilaya 72.35
Gracie Gold 70.86
Evgenia Medvedeva 70.00
Ashley Wagner 69.74
Satoko Miyahara 69.05
Mirai Nagasu 66.28
Mao Asada 65.66
Rika Hongbo 65.49
Gabrielle Daleman 63.98
Elena Radionova 63.61 (massively overscored)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I understand how to factor the GOE's now. I just multiply the average GOE with the +1 factor in the Scale of Values.

That won't always match the official results if there are any negative GOEs involved.

andyjo24

Medalist
That won't always match the official results if there are any negative GOEs involved.

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification. I see that the negative GOE factors are not necessarily the same as the positive ones.

I will be posting my analysis using the scale tonight.

Bartek

On the Ice
Why do Mao's jumping error negatively influence her Transitions/Linking Elements mark in the SP?

Last edited:

clippers8200

On the Ice
Btw guys, can someone advise me on how I would factor each of the elements (i.e., jumps, spins, etc)?

May be incorrect, but I think triple jumps have a GOE factor of 0.7, the double axel is 0.5, StSq4 and ChSq is 0.7, lower levels of StSq and spins are 0.5.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Disagree with several assessments such as the component marks for Mao in the short and also how you scored Elena and Ashley in components in the long. But good analysis on all the different skaters. Lots of hard work went into it:thumbsup:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I won't comment on numbers as it's all relative. The world record is unofficial - just for fun. The only thing that matters is the podium. And the one after this thorough analysis is what I would also think as more objective: 1) Evgenya - she was overall the best and built her momentum over the whole season 2) Anna - she should have won SP with her spectacular performance and in FP her pcs should not have been that smaller than Ashley's 3) Ashley - she was way better than the rest of skaters.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Why do Mao's jumping error negatively influence her Transitions/Linking Elements mark in the SP?

If you have linking elements and steps going in and out of jumps and you miss those jumps or have bad landings you miss those elements.

I didn't look at it quite so detailed as you BoP but after some rewatching and some squinting at the scoresheets for the top 3 my final verdict was:

1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Anna Pogorilaya
3. Ashley Wagner

I didn't really look lower down because I haven't had the energy for that (no joke this Worlds had me emotionally exhausted), I thought Elena's LP PCS marks were ridiculous considering the obvious and after looking at her heat map compared to the other ladies in the top 12 her ice coverage seemed very mediocre. Also people kept saying Mao was slow and she looked more cautious than usual to me on screen yes but looking at her heat map she had more ice coverage than the faster ladies.

I wouldn't have Rika as high as you did because her posture really affects how much I like her skating and I didn't think her movements were quick and lively enough for me to like her Riverdance program. I think I would have Satoko in 4th instead but I don't have anything to back that up other than my love for her skating. I love Ashley but she was definitely Bronze but they really wanted to hold up an American. Gracie I would have her much lower like you did because her LP was really tight and expressionless aside from her technical errors.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks for sharing your thoughts and crunching numbers.

but saying your analysis is the accurate one is a bit much...a lot remains subjective :)

Lillian

Match Penalty
Interesting, how people think they know it better than the professionals :rolleye:
Just bc you don't like something this doesn't mean it's not correct :rofl2:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Blades, You know you're my [girl],

But you do tend to give yourself A LOT of credit :biggrin:

It's true...I am Rika Hongo and I will not be pushed aside anymore. Miyahara doesn't rotate her jumps, does she even really jump at all? How does she keep beating me all the time? :cry:

Interesting, how people think they know it better than the professionals :rolleye:
Just bc you don't like something this doesn't mean it's not correct :rofl2:

The judges at competitions are not professionals, seeing as how they are unpaid and appointed by individual countries, with no real regulation from the International Skating Union as to their actual merit as judges.

Feel free to point out which my scores you disagree with and share your own scores and assessment of every single element and every single component from every competitor. That is what this thread is about, after all.

slider11

Medalist
The whole post!! Amazing detail and reasoning behind everything!

I agree! Fascinating analysis! But I do agree with the comment that Rika's body carriage needs work. She seems to not be comfortable with her long lean body type. Maybe this will come with age and she will learn to accentuate such a natural positive attribute.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I agree with practically everything!!! However, I do not agree with Miyahara, Hongo, Radionova, and Gold. I think Gold and Radionova's PCS deserve to be significantly lower, while Miyahara's should be higher I think because I think she does emote with the music very well, although, PCS is very subjective. However, I don't think Hongo deserves to be ahead of Miyahara. Spins, General PCS goes to Miyahara. While Hongo does have better jumps, they aren't much better; they are very labored and don't really get that much height.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder...how can we make the judges more professional, and well less prone to inflating scores, being biased at times, etc.
tbh your analysis, although I don't agree completely on everything, was generally fair and you had reasons for all the points you gave

I think getting rid of anonymous judging would be the first step.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The only problem with all this is that each score is based on knowing how everyone skated. The judges score the first skater and then every score is awarded relative to the previous competitors (and not to skaters who haven't skated yet). When two skaters perform an hour (or more) apart, it is very difficult to get the relative scores right between those two skaters. Ashley's LP score was high because she skated last in a well-skated event; the same is true for Gracie in the SP. With 38 skaters in the SP and 24 in the LP the judges are forced to use the entire range of PCS, which includes the upper range for the top skaters. The judges can't be bound by how Carolina or Yuna skated before because then they are more limited in the range they can use to separate the athletes. I understand if people disagree with the placements but the actual marks cannot be compared between events. IMO with 38 athletes it is appropriate to award 10's on PCS to the best skater if that is needed to give the correct placement.

Last edited:
What the computer does (as I understand) is add or subtract the value of the GOE (the lightface numbers to the left and right) to the base value (boldface numbers in the center of the table). What I'm not sure of is whether the program adds the base value plus/minus GOE for each judge and then throws out the high and low and averages, or whether it throws out the high and low, takes the remaining GOEs and inserts the prorated values (whatever +1 or -2 etc. is worth for that element), and adds them up and divides by the number of judges, and then adds that average to the base value.

I think those two methods give the same result. The way the GOE is entered on the protocols suggest that the computer does the latter.

anfyjo24 said:
I understand how to factor the GOE's now. I just multiply the average GOE with the +1 factor in the Scale of Values.

It is still better to work directly from the scale of values. Besides what gkelly said about negative GOEs, etc., there is also a slight rounding error.

Last edited:
The only problem with all this is that each score is based on knowing how everyone skated…

The CoP was ballyhooed as a system that that had sufficient objectivity that this sort of "ordinal judging in disguise" would fade away as being old-fashioned 6.0 thinking. I guess it didn't work out that way.

I wonder...how can we make the judges more professional, and well less prone to inflating scores, being biased at times, etc.

I think getting rid of anonymous judging would be the first step.

I agree about the first step. What would help even more, though, would be the establishment of a professional judges' organization that operated, in as much as possible, separately from the administrative hierarchy of the ISU. Like baseball's Major League Umpires Association, etc.

As it is, each judge works for his or her own national federation, with some oversight by the ISU, which itself is merely the brotherhood of all of these federations.

I don't think, though, that this will ever happen. It coats too much money, and the people in positions of power in the ISU will not want to give up that much control.

Last edited:

Carshalton

Rinkside
Very comprehensive opinion piece. I agree with the ones that I share the same opinion and disagree with those I don't *wink*

By the way, were you at the venue for the competition?