Russian national teams 2016-2017 | Golden Skate

Russian national teams 2016-2017

The Finn

Record Breaker
Based on this link these are the Russian national teams in 2016-2017
http://forum.fsonline.ru/index.php?/topic/2414-новости-межсезонья-2016-только-новости/page__st__120

Team Russia 2016-2017 (Seniors)

Main team
Men:
Maxim Kovtun
Mikhail Kolyada
Alexander Petrov

Ladies:
Evgenia Medvedeva
Yulia Lipnitskaya
Anna Pogorilaya
Elena Radionova
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Adelina Sotnikova

Pairs:
Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov
Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov
Evgenia Tarasova / Vladimir Morozov
Vera Bazarova / Andrei Deputat
Kristina Astakhova / Alexei Rogonov
Natalja Zabijako / Alexander Enbert

Ice Dance:
Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev
Victoria Sinitsina / Nikita Katsalapov
Elena Ilinykh / Ruslan Zhiganshin
Alexandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin
Tiffany Zahorski / Jonathan Guerreiro

Reserve team
Men:
Sergei Voronov
Gordei Gorshkov
Artur Dmitriev Jr.
Adian Pitkeev
Evgeny Plushenko
Alexander Samarin

Ladies:
Alena Leonova
Maria Sotskova

Pairs:
Sofia Biryukova / Andrei Filonov
Ekaterina Borisova / Dmitry Sopot
Alisa Efimova / Alexander Korovin
Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov
Anastasia Mishina / Vladislav Mirzoev
Maxim Miroshkin

Ice Dance:
Sofia Evdokimova / Egor Bazin
Ludmila Sosnitskaia / Pavel Golovishnikov

Team Russia 2016/2017 (juniors)
Main Team

Men:
Dmitri Aliev
Petr Gumennik
Roman Savosin
Ilya Skirda

Ladies:
Stanislava Konstantinova
Alisa Lozko
Sophia Samodurova
Alisa Fedichkina
Polina Tsurskaya

Pairs:
Amina Atakhanova / Ilia Spiridonov
Alina Ustimkina / Nikita Volodin
Elizaveta Zhuk / Egor Britkov

Ice Dance:
Alla Loboda / Pavel Drozd
Anastasia Shpilevaya / Grigory Smirnov
Sofia Polishchuk / Alexander Vakhnov
Anastasia Skoptsova / Kirill Aleshin
Sofia Shevchenko / Igor Eremenko

Reserve team
Men:
Alexei Erokhov

Ladies:
Anastasia Gubanova
Alina Zagitova
Valeria Mikhailova
Elizaveta Nugumanova

Pairs:
Elena Ivanova
Tagir Khakimov
Anastasia Poluyanova
Stepan Korotkov

Ice Dance:
Evgenia Lopareva / Alexei Karpushev

Team Russia 2016-2017 (juniors born 1998-2005)

Boys:
Matvei Vetlugin
Artem Kovalev
Mark Kondratyuk
Georgy Kunitsa
Andrey Kutovoy
Daniil Samsonov
Evgeny Semenenko
Vladislav Shinkarenko

Girls:
Victoria Vasileva
Alena Kanysheva
Sofia Moroz
Anastasia Mukhortova
Anfisa Ryabova
Anna Tarusina
Anna Shcherbakova

Pairs:
Albina Sokur / Roman Pleshkov

Ice Dance:
Polina Ivanenko / Daniil Karpov
Maria Marchenko / Egor Pozdnyakov
Vitaliya Sokolova / Stanislav Novozhilov
Arina Ushakova / Maxim Nekrasov

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
A couple of notes.

- Liza N isn't on the main Junior team but on the reserve team.
- Sotskova isn't on the main senior team but on the reserve team.
- Both Borisova / Sopot and Mishina / Mirzoev are on the senior reserve team although they are still competing in juniors.
- Elizaveta Zhuk / Egor Britkov are on the main junior team although they can't compete in juniors internationally.
- Albina Sokur / Roman Pleshkov aren't on the junior main team or on the junior reserve team.
- Maxim Miroshkin is on the reserve list but where is Fedorova? She probably is on the official list but she wasn't on the list where I translated this list.
- On the junior reserve list there a pairs that have split up.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
A couple of notes.

- Liza N isn't on the main Junior team but on the reserve team.
- Sotskova isn't on the main senior team but on the reserve team.
- Both Borisova / Sopot and Mishina / Mirzoev are on the senior reserve team although they are still competing in juniors.
- Elizaveta Zhuk / Egor Britkov are on the main junior team although they can't compete in juniors internationally.
- Albina Sokur / Roman Pleshkov aren't on the junior main team or on the junior reserve team.
- Maxim Miroshkin is on the reserve list but where is Fedorova? She probably is on the official list but she wasn't on the list where I translated this list.
- On the junior reserve list there a pairs that have split up.

Having Nugumanova on the reserve team and Samodurova on the main junior team is wrong, in my view. Nugumanova has beaten Samodurova in every competition they went against each other, including at the junior nationals, so not sure what she did that she was not included on the main junior team. I think she was robbed.

Sotskova isn't on the main senior team because she was 'only' second at the junior worlds. In the past, every one who placed first at the junior team got automatically into senior team (even if they were not fully senior eligible yet), but those who were second are usually either in senior reserve, or stay in junior team (even if the plan is that they would compete senior). The teams are not indication where the skater will compete, it is about funding. Sakhanovich was twice second at junior worlds and both times it earned her only being in junior team.

I think it is disgraceful that they are willing to fund Miroshkin, but not willing to acknowledge Fedorova. Aft all, he got injured on compulsory medical, and it is not as if Fedorova could have been competing on her own while he is injured, to earn funding for herself. I wonder whether they wanted her to skate with someone else and she refused, and that's why they feel that they don't want to fund her? Usually when one is injured, the whole pair is on reserve, not just one of them.

It is normal that on reserve list there are pairs that split up. It happens every year. Poluyanova-Korotkov and Ivanova-Khakimov have done well enough to deserve some funding, and they hope that with whomever they pair up, it could be a decent pair.

For me it is surprising that Mikhailova got to junior reserve team and Mitrofanova didn't. I thought they were pretty comparable with their results, or Mitrofanova might have been slightly ahead. So I wonder why they decided to support Mikhailova. Saying that, I don't think either of them have done enough to be on junior reserve team.

Sokur/Pleshkov are on novice team, which is where I think they belong. Maybe, if they were feeling generous, they could put them on junior reserve, but maybe they felt that this pair has not done enough to deserve junior pairs funding. Although I think Zhuk/Britkov should be there too, they got to main junior team. The fact that they are not junior eligible doesn't matter, because the teams are about funding and not about eligibility, but I am not sure whether doing well in Russian cup final is good enough reason to get to junior main team. After all, it is not as if there was that many great pairs that Z/B managed to beat at the Russian cup final. In my view, both this pairs are comparable.

Saying that, Athakanova/Spiridonov and Mishina/Mirzoev were not on any team last season, they got their JGP events, they got sent to junior worlds when they earned it at the junior nationals, so the teams don't limit skaters opportunities. Skaters will be sent to competitions if they earn it no matter whether they are on the team.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
Sotskova isn't on the main senior team because she was 'only' second at the junior worlds.

She was 5th at the Russian Championships and she was named as a substitute for the Worlds. Should have been enough for the main team but I guess they didn't want to name more than 6 skaters for the main team.

It is normal that on reserve list there are pairs that split up. It happens every year. Poluyanova-Korotkov and Ivanova-Khakimov have done well enough to deserve some funding, and they hope that with whomever they pair up, it could be a decent pair.

Sokur/Pleshkov are on novice team, which is where I think they belong.

Sokur/Pleshkov beat Ivanova/Khakimov multiple times toward the end of last season. It should have been them in the reserve team instead of skaters who doesn't even have a partner and who isn't really that promising.

The fact that they are not junior eligible doesn't matter, because the teams are about funding and not about eligibility,

A team who can't compete internationally in juniors doesn't need much funding. They are the only ones on the main junior team or on the reserve team who can't compete in juniors. She is great and it is great that the Fed acknowledge this but I find it a bit unnecessary for them being on the main team. And she seriously needs a new partner.

hanca

Record Breaker
Sokur/Pleshkov beat Ivanova/Khakimov multiple times toward the end of last season. It should have been them in the reserve team instead of skaters who doesn't even have a partner and who isn't really that promising.

A team who can't compete internationally in juniors doesn't need much funding. They are the only ones on the main junior team or on the reserve team who can't compete in juniors. She is great and it is great that the Fed acknowledge this but I find it a bit unnecessary for them being on the main team. And she seriously needs a new partner.

Well, it is not about who beat whom, otherwise Nugumanova wouldn't be in reserve.

I agree that Sokur/Pleshkov could have been in reserve, but I don't think they should have been on the main junior team. Sorry, their results were not as great as you make them. I agree that they look promising, but this is about past results, not about what you believe they will achieve in the future.

Regarding the split pairs, it sucks when the federation doesn't agree with you, doesn't it! I think those two split pairs did do enough during their JGP to deserve some funding. They are in reserve, which is fair. They represented the country, Poluianova/Korotkov even qualified to JGPF, why on earth should they be without funding when they earned it? To be fair, I think Gubanova also deserves funding. It is also split pair, it is not her fault that he aged out, she is staying in juniors, so I would put her also to the junior reserves, together with the other two split pairs.

It is also not about who needs funding, so your argument that a pair who doesn't compete internationally doesn't need as much funding is silly! It is about who deserve it. I noticed that the majority of the 'better' junior pairs did not compete at the Russian cup final, so maybe ensuring that a pair who got medal gets on the main junior team will motivate more top junior pairs take part. Or at least those who have doubts whether they did enough to be on the main team. Zhuk/Brtikov medalled, they earned their spot. Simple! Need or don't need, they earned it. I think Zhuk/Brtikov are very comparable level to Sokur/Pleshkov, but S/P did have opportunity to get medal at the Russian final cup and they didn't, so they have themselves to blame that they are not on junior team.

I liked Kudriavtseva/Kuznetsov . Hope they didn't split up. A new pair, so not great yet, but I think they had potential and they have triples. She was on the list to transfer to Pavlova and he wasn't, so not sure if they transferred together or if it means that they split up.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
I agree that Sokur/Pleshkov could have been in reserve, but I don't think they should have been on the main junior team. Sorry, their results were not as great as you make them. I agree that they look promising, but this is about past results, not about what you believe they will achieve in the future.

Well, they looked better than Ivanova/Khakimov. That is basically all that is needed in this case. And these kind of decisions most definitely has to be partly about what the Fed thinks these skaters can achieve in the future and partly about what these skaters have achieved so far.

It is also not about who needs funding, so your argument that a pair who doesn't compete internationally doesn't need as much funding is silly! It is about who deserve it. I noticed that the majority of the 'better' junior pairs did not compete at the Russian cup final, so maybe ensuring that a pair who got medal gets on the main junior team will motivate more top junior pairs take part. Or at least those who have doubts whether they did enough to be on the main team. Zhuk/Brtikov medalled, they earned their spot. Simple! Need or don't need, they earned it. I think Zhuk/Brtikov are very comparable level to Sokur/Pleshkov, but S/P did have opportunity to get medal at the Russian final cup and they didn't, so they have themselves to blame that they are not on junior team.

Of course it is not silly, it is the reality. I don't know what are you talking about here but Sokur/Pleshkov medaled at the Russian Cup final but they weren't even named for reserve junior team. Zhuk/Britkov were 7th at the Russian Cup final but they were named to the main Russian junior team. Zhuk/Britkov were 10th at the Russian Junior Championships. Sokur/Pleshkov were 8th.

The Finn

Record Breaker
It is about who deserve it.

If that would be the case then Loboda/Drozd and probably Tsurskaya also would be on the senior reserve team just like Borisova/Sopot and Samarin, yet they aren't. Maybe even Aliev and Fedichkina should be there especially since according to you, the age of a skater or her senior eligibility is irrelevant here.

hanca

Record Breaker
If that would be the case then Loboda/Drozd and probably Tsurskaya also would be on the senior reserve team just like Borisova/Sopot and Samarin, yet they aren't. Maybe even Aliev and Fedichkina should be there especially since according to you, the age of a skater or her senior eligibility is irrelevant here.

Feditchkina and Tsurskaya withdrew from juniors worlds, same as Atakhanova/Spiridonov, so that's why they are on junior team. The federation didn't feel that doing well at Russian nationals, JGP events and even JGPF is enough to deserve place at senior reserves team. If you think about it, Atakhanova/Spiridonov had better results than Mishina/Mirzoev at JGP events, including getting into JGPF and getting bronze medal there. They also had better results than Borisova/Sopot at the Russian nationals. But they withdrew from the junior worlds because of injury, so they got 'only' into junior team and not into senior reserve team. So the federation is being consistent. It is sending a message that good results at the junior nationals and JGP events including the JGPF will get you into junior team, but not into senior reserves. If Tsurskaya competed at the junior worlds and medalled, she would be in senior reserves, and if she won gold, she would be on senior team even though she is still ineligible. I think it is pretty easy to understand.

Saying that, we don't really know how much difference is between senior reserve team and junior team, and between junior and junior reserves. Maybe the difference is not any significant amount.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Of course it is not silly, it is the reality. I don't know what are you talking about here but Sokur/Pleshkov medaled at the Russian Cup final but they weren't even named for reserve junior team. Zhuk/Britkov were 7th at the Russian Cup final but they were named to the main Russian junior team. Zhuk/Britkov were 10th at the Russian Junior Championships. Sokur/Pleshkov were 8th.

Ups, sorry, I made mistake with the competition. What I meant was, Zhuk/Britkov got a bronze medal at the junior B nationals. Those nationals are meant as an opportunity for the weaker pairs to get on the team. Sokur/Pleskhov did not take this opportunity, but Zhuk/Britkov did. So they are on the team.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Ups, sorry, I made mistake with the competition. What I meant was, Zhuk/Britkov got a bronze medal at the junior B nationals. Those nationals are meant as an opportunity for the weaker pairs to get on the team. Sokur/Pleskhov did not take this opportunity, but Zhuk/Britkov did. So they are on the team.

In that case why aren't Tarusina, Erokhov and Lopareva/Karpushev on the main junior team? Not only did all these skaters medaled but they WON their event. Zhuk/Britkov only got bronze. Despite her victory Tarusina wasn't even on the reserve team.

Last year Panfilova/Selkin won this competition and yet they weren't named neither on the main junior team nor on the reserve junior team.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
Feditchkina and Tsurskaya withdrew from juniors worlds, same as Atakhanova/Spiridonov, so that's why they are on junior team. The federation didn't feel that doing well at Russian nationals, JGP events and even JGPF is enough to deserve place at senior reserves team.

And yet Samarin who didn't do really well anywhere is on the Senior reserve team.

If you think about it, Atakhanova/Spiridonov had better results than Mishina/Mirzoev at JGP events, including getting into JGPF and getting bronze medal there. They also had better results than Borisova/Sopot at the Russian nationals. But they withdrew from the junior worlds because of injury, so they got 'only' into junior team and not into senior reserve team. So the federation is being consistent. It is sending a message that good results at the junior nationals and JGP events including the JGPF will get you into junior team, but not into senior reserves.

This is not about Mishina/Mirzoev but about Samarin and Borisova/Sopot being on the reserve team and Loboda/Drozd not being there. Even Tsurskaya and Fedichkina should have been more close to being on the senior reserve team than Samarin who didn't got medal at the JWC and didn't even make it to the JGPF. 4th place was a fine result for him but it is not a medal and therefor shouldn't count much. Tsurskaya scored WR at the JGPF and most definitely would have deserved to be on the senior reserve team more than Samarin if we don't care about her eligibility.

If Tsurskaya competed at the junior worlds and medalled, she would be in senior reserves,

Loboda/Drozd medaled at the JWC and yet they are not on the reserve team. There are no consistency here.

hanca

Record Breaker
In that case why aren't Tarusina, Erokhov and Lopareva/Karpushev on the main junior team? Not only did all these skaters medaled but they WON their event. Zhuk/Britkov only got bronze. Despite her victory Tarusina wasn't even on the reserve team.

Last year Panfilova/Selkin won this competition and yet they weren't named neither on the main junior team nor on the reserve junior team.
I don't know why the skaters you named are not on junior team. They should have been.
I noticed that they are much stricter with ladies than they are with men, for example, last few years there has been quite a few men on the main team, and ladies who achieved more than them have been on reserve or even left off. This year they cut it down and put in senior men only those who in my view should be there, and the rest is in reserve.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Lack of better thread I will mention this here.

Quite a few Russian skaters will make their GP debut this season

Men
Artur Dmitriev Jr - 2 events
Gordei Gorshkov or Anton Shulepov - One of these skaters will most likely get the 3rd spot at CoR

Ladies
Maria Sotskova - 2 events
Serafima Sakhanovich - 1 event

Ice dance
Tiffany Zahorski / Jonathan Guerreiro - 1 event
Sofia Evdokimova / Egor Bazin or Ludmila Sosnitskaia / Pavel Golovishnikov - One of these teams will likely get the 3rd spot at CoR.

Also these skaters will make their GP debut excluding CoR. These skaters have skated at CoR but not anywhere else.

Men
Mikhail Kolyada

Pairs
Natalja Zabijako / Alexander Enbert

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Ice dance
Sofia Evdokimova / Egor Bazin or Ludmila Sosnitskaia / Pavel Golovishnikov - One of these teams will likely get the 3rd spot at CoR.

I think the TBD spot will go to Popova/Mozgov, even as a new couple, they will be stronger than the 2 couples you mention here.

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
Sotnikova being on the main team is a joke, I'm sorry to say that since she refused to take part in GP series.
The only competition we'll see her at will be the Russsian Nationals (althought I'm not sure of it).
She has taken smb else's place and financing. Maria Sotskova's to be exact.

Doesn't Maria deserve to be on the main team by showing consistent and excellent results throughout the whole season?
And by saving the Russian spots for the next junior worlds?

:disapp: I'm so tired of Russian Federation pushing Sotnikova!

The Finn

Record Breaker
I think the TBD spot will go to Popova/Mozgov, even as a new couple, they will be stronger than the 2 couples you mention here.

It is a possibility. By the time of CoR they have been together about 6 months which might be enough time for them to become a team Russian Fed could consider if they have shown good results by then. It will be interesting to see how they will do at their early season competitions. However, I do think that Evdokimova/Bazin has the inside lane to become the 3rd team but we will see.

Mattieu

Medalist
It is a possibility. By the time of CoR they have been together about 6 months which might be enough time for them to become a team Russian Fed could consider if they have shown good results by then. It will be interesting to see how they will do at their early season competitions. However, I do think that Evdokimova/Bazin has the inside lane to become the 3rd team but we will see.

Kustarova is good at politics so I think it will be Mozgov and Popova
Also he is a former Junior world champion, that has got to count for something.

adelia

Record Breaker
Sotnikova being on the main team is a joke, I'm sorry to say that since she refused to take part in GP series.
The only competition we'll see her at will be the Russsian Nationals (althought I'm not sure of it).
She has taken smb else's place and financing. Maria Sotskova's to be exact.

Doesn't Maria deserve to be on the main team by showing consistent and excellent results throughout the whole season?
And by saving the Russian spots for the next junior worlds?

:disapp: I'm so tired of Russian Federation pushing Sotnikova!
Funding goes to the coach, how she is going to distribute it, none of us will ever know.

The Finn

Record Breaker
fsrussia.ru has the updated list of Russian national teams.

Liza N has been moved to the main Russian national junior team.