Practice reports? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Men - Jason really is looking more and more mature. He did at least one decent quad toe before his program run-through that I saw. The landing looked underrotated to my uninformed eyes but he stood it up. He's such a presence on the ice. I'm biased, but it's hard to keep my eyes on other people when he's skating sometimes. Adam did a clean short program, and I know not everyone likes it, but I am so in for that program. It's just so much fun. Boyang's spiderman short was fun too, and it's definitely a good fit with his personality.

Thanks for the report! Did you like Brendan?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks to all sharing practice reports! :thank: And we all scurry off to change our predictions... :laugh:

Gracie's gonna drop out of my top 3 after what I witnessed today... :gaah: I'm beginning to get worried about her, more than usual.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
You are a very nice, polite person. I am not. I am a big Shibs fan. In the frame of reference of us older people, this just doesnt work at all for them, and me. Maybe I should try watching with the music off but
it makes them look slow for one thing. But the cuts and the mix are very distracting and anoying....I think I will now go and watch last year's FD. :noshake:

In the frame of reference of us younger people, I'm a fan of Quest Crew--I like the mashup/remix that was arranged and choreographed for the Shibs by members of Quest and I think this program works relatively well for our favorite sib team. I do agree they look a little slow at some parts, but I believe they can improve over the season. Hoping it works better in the "televised" broadcast and that you'll learn to like it then!!

Gracie's gonna drop out of my top 3 after what I witnessed today... :gaah: I'm beginning to get worried about her, more than usual.

Can't say much because she was never in my top 3 since JO happened. She just doesn't seem like she has the motivation, unfortunately.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

For me it has been an ever increasing worry. I just want to wrap her up in the world's fuzziest blanket at this point.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
In the frame of reference of us younger people, I'm a fan of Quest Crew--I like the mashup/remix that was arranged and choreographed for the Shibs by members of Quest and I think this program works relatively well for our favorite sib team. I do agree they look a little slow at some parts, but I believe they can improve over the season. Hoping it works better in the "televised" broadcast and that you'll learn to like it then!!

Can't say much because she was never in my top 3 since JO happened. She just doesn't seem like she has the motivation, unfortunately.

IMO, out of the hip hop SDs thus far, music wise, the Shibs went in a totally different and riskiest route than the others because they went for more straight up rap and tried their hand at mixing their own "sample" track rather than other teams who say they're doing hip hop but are using more pop, dance, or funk pieces. As a Shibs fan, I hope the judges go for it.

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Thanks for the report! Did you like Brendan?

Yep! I came in partway through his run through so I missed a bit of his program while getting settled in, but from what I did see, I really liked the way he carries himself on the ice. I hope he nabs a high placement here. He's definitely good enough for it!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
IMO, out of the hip hop SDs thus far, music wise, the Shibs went in a totally different and riskiest route than the others because they went for more straight up rap and tried their hand at mixing their own "sample" track rather than other teams who say they're doing hip hop but are using more pop, dance, or funk pieces. As a Shibs fan, I hope the judges go for it.

YES. I totally agree with this. This is the kind of music you would definitely hear on ABDC (which, obviously, since it was mixed by an ABDC participant--LOL), a similar show, or on YouTube. I think if I were watching Quest Crew or whoever dance to this on YouTube or on ABDC, I'd love it.

But I'm not much of an idealist when it comes to figure skating judging. I hope the judges go for it as well, but judges seem to be a bit more on the...conservative side and more often than not, skaters get "punished" for trying something new.

mary01

Final Flight
I watched many of the practice videos and I am very impressed with Mai! I think she could easily win silver here - but I think getting above Ashley would be too hard. Ashley didn't do any combos today but I think that was planned. She was the only other skater that I saw that attempted jumps and pulled in/landed them. At this point Mao is a question mark because of her knee and she just said she won't be doing her 3A, and even if she skates clean, I think gold is out of her reach. Gracie- well, she tends to be a better practicer than competitor, and this run through was a bit of a disaster. I didn't see Gabby. All together I think Mai is definitely a threat for a medal, but it seems Ashley is definitely poised for gold here. Interested to see what her combos look like when she tries them tomorrow.

You don't seem well updated, you should take a look at the Mao thread and see the new practice videos, Mao seems in amazing condition, sharp and ready for competition, I just saw her 3-3 combo and it was big and impressive

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yep! I came in partway through his run through so I missed a bit of his program while getting settled in, but from what I did see, I really liked the way he carries himself on the ice. I hope he nabs a high placement here. He's definitely good enough for it!

:yahoo: Thanks so much! I hope so too!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The music cut is not a big problem for me, but the Shibutanis' SD kept reminding me they are bother and sister...made me uncomfortable again unlike last season's brilliantly woven programs. The hip-hop part looked much better. As to I/Z, I read they had to skip the Open Test and CS events due to injury. The first half of the program looked similar to the Shibutanis' and they skipped a lot of the second half. I really want to see their FD because their SD didn't thrill me at this stage although I may change my mind after seeing them perform with a full-length program. However, I feel they missed good opportunities to catch early feedback before the GP series started. I'm wondering about Weaver/Poje's programs which also have been secret so far.

mrrice

Record Breaker
For me it has been an ever increasing worry. I just want to wrap her up in the world's fuzziest blanket at this point.

So do I. I also want her to take a look in the mirror and decide that after spending the majority of her life in a rink, if maybe she needs a season off. You know, injuries happen when you're attempting difficult things when you're heart and mind are not fully engaged. I'd rather see her take time off, than have a season that ruins her stellar reputation. I feel the same way about Frank. His career will not last forever and the stress has to be getting him. I've heard that this will be final his Olympics as a coach and he has a lot riding on Gracie. Frankly, so does Lori. The last thing they need is a skater who isn't fully invested.

I hope I'm wrong about this and that Gracie will have good performances even if she doesn't win. She just can't afford to skate the way she did in Japan.

Last edited:

keasus

On the Ice
The music cut is not a big problem for me, but the Shibutanis' SD kept reminding me they are bother and sister...made me uncomfortable again unlike last season's brilliantly woven programs. The hip-hop part looked much better. As to I/Z, I read they had to skip the Open Test and CS events due to injury. The first half of the program looked similar to the Shibutanis' and they skipped a lot of the second half. I really want to see their FD because their SD didn't thrill me at this stage although I may change my mind after seeing them perform with a full-length program. However, I feel they missed good opportunities to catch early feedback before the GP series started. I'm wondering about Weaver/Poje's programs which also have been secret so far.

The similarity is in the Blues pattern, which everyone has to perfrom with same steps, timing, etc.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

YES. I totally agree with this. This is the kind of music you would definitely hear on ABDC (which, obviously, since it was mixed by an ABDC participant--LOL), a similar show, or on YouTube. I think if I were watching Quest Crew or whoever dance to this on YouTube or on ABDC, I'd love it.

But I'm not much of an idealist when it comes to figure skating judging. I hope the judges go for it as well, but judges seem to be a bit more on the...conservative side and more often than not, skaters get "punished" for trying something new.

I think this is the exact program that will bring in new audiences, especially AAPI (Asian Americans/Pacific Islander for those who don't know the lingo). The Shibs have been hanging around AAPI YouTuber/arts & culture circles and I think you see a lot of that play into this dance.

I can see how the music is a bit jarring, if you're not use to sampling -- or Jay Z, for that matter. I think though, by doing it this way-- it is a more cohesive dance rather than the "blues"/"hip-hop" separation you're seeing with other teams. We'll see how the judges respond on Saturday.

I don't really think the sibling thing is an issue since they're not trying to do sultry blues, imo.

ETA: Also on other viewings, I'm appreciating the extra details they're putting throughout the dance that are clearly from hip-hop dance tradition, such as the staccato running sequence in the non-touch step sequence.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The similarity is in the Blues pattern, which everyone has to perfrom with same steps, timing, etc.

I know, but SD is not CD, so I expected more.... all I can say is I wasn't impressed by the two SDs.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This makes me wish I was there for the 3rd time seeing Skate America in person! But I have 3 tests and a quiz next week and I need to study my butt off for them.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think this is the exact program that will bring in new audiences, especially AAPI (Asian Americans/Pacific Islander for those who don't know the lingo). The Shibs have been hanging around AAPI YouTuber/arts & culture circles and I think you see a lot of that play into this dance.

I can see how the music is a bit jarring, if you're not use to sampling -- or Jay Z, for that matter. I think though, by doing it this way-- it is a more cohesive dance rather than the "blues"/"hip-hop" separation you're seeing with other teams. We'll see how the judges respond on Saturday.

I don't really think the sibling thing is an issue since they're not trying to do sultry blues, imo.

Precisely, precisely, precisely. As someone who has been following the Shibs on social media (particularly Instagram), I think a program/collaboration like this has been a long time coming. I really hope this "risk" (to borrow the term!) is worth it and they'll get more recognition (at the very least) in younger AA/PI circles.

I also agree that it might be "jarring" if you're not used to listening to sampling. It's also a bigger risk, like vietgrl stated, to skate to something that isn't as traditional as other teams might have.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also, forgive me for stating the obvious -- but if a program is perfect and awesome in October, that usually means there isn't much room for growth. I think they look very good for this point of the season, but there's definitely a need to put in some competition mileage with this program.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I have no idea where to put this but I thought TSL's short interview with Mao Asada today was quite interesting. Some takeaways:
1. No triple axel.
2. She'll try the triple triple.
3. Olympic season will (obviously) be her last.
4. She prefers portraying powerful characters to gentle, more lyrical characters.
5. Dave asked her a question about whether she still loves to skate as much as she did when she was young. She hesitated for a long time and then finally said that "it is difficult now, but I still like skating." The whole question just gave me major 2014 Yuna vibes. The good thing for Mao is that I think she'll face less pressure than Yuna did in 2014, and is truly going to be competing not necessarily for the sole purpose of winning as Yuna was, but rather to go out on a positive note. It's good that she seems to be skating for herself and her self only.
Best wishes to Mao this week.