Practice reports? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Jin skated to the Spider-Man theme song. Presentation seems improved.

I can't wait to see his Spider-Man costume. :) The program looks so entertaining. I think his stroking and edges got better as well as his upper body movements than last season.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
The music cut is not a big problem for me, but the Shibutanis' SD kept reminding me they are bother and sister...made me uncomfortable again unlike last season's brilliantly woven programs. The hip-hop part looked much better.

I didn't get that feeling at all. Do you mind elaborating?

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
You don't seem well updated, you should take a look at the Mao thread and see the new practice videos, Mao seems in amazing condition, sharp and ready for competition, I just saw her 3-3 combo and it was big and impressive

My apologies, I did miss that she will be attempting the triple-triples. I think the person that needs to watch her back is Gracie.. I can easily see an Ashley-Mao-Mai podium.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I was wondering about Hubbell/Donohue's practice to see if they revise their programs. However, according to TSL twitter reports several hours ago, Zach was sick so they arrived in the city later and missed the practice session.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Also, forgive me for stating the obvious -- but if a program is perfect and awesome in October, that usually means there isn't much room for growth. I think they look very good for this point of the season, but there's definitely a need to put in some competition mileage with this program.

I absolutely agree with this comment. Plus, if Marina is anything like I was, she'll have a back up plan in case a risky program is not well received by the Judges.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I have no idea where to put this but I thought TSL's short interview with Mao Asada today was quite interesting.

Thanks so much for this information! :thumbsup: I'll go watch this interview now.

(Btw, Mao's fan fest thread is a good place to put this ;) )

SunDae

Rinkside
I think the Shibs music is fresh and original. The choreography is authentic. The styling is gorgeous. Can't wait to see this program in full.

Did anyone else notice the voice over? It's Will Ferrell in that hilarious scene from the movie, Blades of Glory. SO clever. Hilarious.

"We're gonna' skate to one song and one song only!" (watch first 20 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh0IBg7GBeY

If one believes an aim of the ISU was to somehow try to make ice dance seem less out of step with the rest of the real world today, the Shibs are definitely "bringing it" and with confidence.
http://www.mtv.com/news/1673975/will-ferrell-jay-z-kanye-west-watch-the-throne/

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone give a link to videos of the ladies' practices please? Esp. Ashley, Mao, Mai, Gracie, Gabby. thx in advance.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think the Shibs music is fresh and original. The choreography is authentic. The styling is gorgeous. Can't wait to see this program in full.

Did anyone else notice the voice over? It's Will Ferrell in that hilarious scene from the movie, Blades of Glory. SO clever. Hilarious.

If one believes an aim of the ISU was to somehow try to make ice dance seem less out of step with the rest of the real world today, the Shibs are definitely "bringing it" and with confidence.

Great catch!

aftertherain

Record Breaker

I think it was fortuitous that Jay-Z sampled that line for his "Paris" track so the Shibs could use it later on! LOL.

P.S. Pretty sure the ponytail pull at the end by Maia is a reference to Beyonce too ;)

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In the frame of reference of us younger people, I'm a fan of Quest Crew--I like the mashup/remix that was arranged and choreographed for the Shibs by members of Quest and I think this program works relatively well for our favorite sib team. I do agree they look a little slow at some parts, but I believe they can improve over the season. Hoping it works better in the "televised" broadcast and that you'll learn to like it then!!

I will wait to watch it again and of course live at nats. I think this is a generational thing. They are extreamly intellegent and do other things with music and if this is what they like, I say go for it. But I worry that the judges are old folks like me....I will suggest to them at the USFS members breakfast in KC that they think about doing two POTO skates during the Olympic season... Yeah! That's the ticket!:rofl:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This makes me wish I was there for the 3rd time seeing Skate America in person! But I have 3 tests and a quiz next week and I need to study my butt off for them.

I am missing being there with all my friends, etc but if Gracie doesnt do well and the judges punish the Shibs, then I miss it just alittle bit less. Lots of other skaters to cheer for too this year...Go Mao, Go Jason!

keasus

On the Ice

:rofl:You have to love that Shib sib sense of humor

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
In the frame of reference of us younger people, I'm a fan of Quest Crew--I like the mashup/remix that was arranged and choreographed for the Shibs by members of Quest and I think this program works relatively well for our favorite sib team. I do agree they look a little slow at some parts, but I believe they can improve over the season. Hoping it works better in the "televised" broadcast and that you'll learn to like it then!!

I will wait to watch it again and of course live at nats. I think this is a generational thing. They are extreamly intellegent and do other things with music and if this is what they like, I say go for it. But I worry that the judges are old folks like me....I will suggest to them at the USFS members breakfast in KC that they think about doing two POTO skates during the Olympic season... Yeah! That's the ticket!:rofl:

:laugh2:

I would love it if you'd suggest that just so you can describe the look on their faces.

I think it was fortuitous that Jay-Z sampled that line for his "Paris" track so the Shibs could use it later on! LOL.

P.S. Pretty sure the ponytail pull at the end by Maia is a reference to Beyonce too ;)

I'm totally loving and living for that pony tail pull. It's probably one of the most memorable choreographic touches I've seen so far from any skater.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
I love the Shibutani's program--I just hope the judges are open-minded enough to appreciate it as well. Maia and Alex are the perfect ambassadors of ice dance; if anyone can rouse the attention of the younger crowd for ice dancing, it is these two.

As for the ladies, with all the problems they've been having, I hope both Gracie and Mao skate lights out!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think this is the exact program that will bring in new audiences, especially AAPI (Asian Americans/Pacific Islander for those who don't know the lingo). The Shibs have been hanging around AAPI YouTuber/arts & culture circles and I think you see a lot of that play into this dance. .
I hope you are right but I doubt it. Look at Davis and White's brilliant Bollywood SD, which the Indians (dot not feather) even those who didnt care for figure skating loved along with many of us. How many of those folks are sitting on the couch watching skating? Skating is above all a performance art to the general public, requiring an attention span, an eye for refinement, and an appreciation of music and its interpretation. Unfortunately for us, most people now like to watch sports of the ball and some long haired young man scream into a mic while smashing a guitar into the stage. I hope that doesnt sound too cynical but there has been a sea change in the peoples of the world since the days of packed arenas. Witness the empty seats at skating events around the world. I applaud the Japanese fans for filling Japan's seats and keeping the dream alive!

desertskates

Medalist
Gracie's gonna drop out of my top 3 after what I witnessed today... :gaah: I'm beginning to get worried about her, more than usual.

That's such a bummer. I was hoping she shook out her demons at JO, but I guess that's not the case. I dropped her from second to fourth.

Hope you have a great time this weekend!