The Annual Search for the Practice Schedule | Golden Skate

The Annual Search for the Practice Schedule

A.H.Black

Final Flight
First one to find and post it gets my most grateful Thank You.

Maybe this will be the miraculous year when the USFSA or the LOC understand that those of us who are attending Nationals need information about practices ASAP. We also know that schedules change and we can keep up with those changes.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And maybe this year the fans will understand that the IMPORTANT people who ACTUALLY need the practice schedule (you know, the SKATERS and the JUDGES) are the first priority and making sure the fans have a copy is not high on the priority list.

sk8dc

On the Ice
And maybe this year the fans will understand that the IMPORTANT people who ACTUALLY need the practice schedule (you know, the SKATERS and the JUDGES) are the first priority and making sure the fans have a copy is not high on the priority list.

If they just put the information on-line - ALL the information - then everyone could access it regardless of "status"

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If they just put the information on-line - ALL the information - then everyone could access it regardless of "status"

Unfortunately, employees at USFS intergalactic headquarters who are no longer employed there have told me fan concerns are not a high priority. We were called, by one USFS honcho, "opinionated and difficult". And that was about the donors! If we were talking about days of yore when actual paper had to be handed out, well, I could see us not getting much info. But this is the 21st century. Put it on line I says three weeks early with the stipulation that there will be updates. Just watch the version number. At any rate, someone here seems to leak it out before they post it on the official website so I can print it out before leaving for nats. Bless 'um.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If anyone finds the ice dance.com schedule, please post it! I found it much easier to work with than the color coded one put out by USFS. I'm sure I won't be making more than 1 trip to Independence so I can cut and paste from the ice dance.com schedule and then eliminate the practice rink.

Real life has been hectic with lots of big changes, but I'm still looking forward to Nationals.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If anyone finds the ice dance.com schedule, please post it! I found it much easier to work with than the color coded one put out by USFS. I'm sure I won't be making more than 1 trip to Independence so I can cut and paste from the ice dance.com schedule and then eliminate the practice rink.

Real life has been hectic with lots of big changes, but I'm still looking forward to Nationals.

Didnt even know there was another schedule. How are you going to get to Independence on Monday? I might want to go....I dont mind chipping in for rides big time. I will arrive Sunday.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Independence

I won't be arriving in KC until early afternoon on Monday 1/16. I'm considering going to Independence to sight see on Tuesday morning. I would need to get back to KC for practices at Sprint Center late afternoon.

A taxi from Sprint to Silverstein arena would be about $45 + tip each way. I actually want to visit the Truman Library which is in Independence, but maybe we could work out something on sharing to Silverstein and then me going on my own to Truman Presidential Library. Of course, this would be Tuesday and I don't know if that would work for you.

The ice-dance.com schedule is more of a list and is not color coded with the dark colors USFS uses. Up where I sit it is sometimes quite dark while you are sitting where you need sun glasses, lol. I can't read the fine print on the very deep colors...if USFS would switch to the lighter shades like the ISU uses it would be much easier for me to read.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If anyone finds the ice dance.com schedule, please post it! I found it much easier to work with than the color coded one put out by USFS. I'm sure I won't be making more than 1 trip to Independence so I can cut and paste from the ice dance.com schedule and then eliminate the practice rink. ...

Didnt even know there was another schedule. ...

AFAIK, ice-dance.com has not yet published its version of the 2017 schedule.

FYI, Chris, what we're talking about is ice-dance.com's annual unofficial reformatting of the USFS color-coded schedule.
ice-dance.com shares its unofficial version of the schedule for those who might find it more user-friendly (albeit less compact) than the official USFS version.

To give you an idea, some ice-dance.com schedules from previous years:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
AFAIK, ice-dance.com has not yet published its version of the 2017 schedule.

FYI, Chris, what we're talking about is ice-dance.com's annual unofficial reformatting of the USFS color-coded schedule.
ice-dance.com shares its unofficial version of the schedule for those who might find it more user-friendly (albeit less compact) than the official USFS version.

To give you an idea, some ice-dance.com schedules from previous years:

Thanks, ice coverage. I think I have seen other fans with this format. Being a visual person, and less verbal, I think I like USFS version better, as I see the blocks of time better and can make plans easier.
For instance, how much time for lunch and dinner?
Where the USFS version is inferior is the size of the printed document can make reading it a challange. Sometimes I massage the doc and blow up certain days and print them out separately.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I won't be arriving in KC until early afternoon on Monday 1/16. I'm considering going to Independence to sight see on Tuesday morning. I would need to get back to KC for practices at Sprint Center late afternoon.

A taxi from Sprint to Silverstein arena would be about $45 + tip each way. I actually want to visit the Truman Library which is in Independence, but maybe we could work out something on sharing to Silverstein and then me going on my own to Truman Presidential Library. Of course, this would be Tuesday and I don't know if that would work for you.

The ice-dance.com schedule is more of a list and is not color coded with the dark colors USFS uses. Up where I sit it is sometimes quite dark while you are sitting where you need sun glasses, lol. I can't read the fine print on the very deep colors...if USFS would switch to the lighter shades like the ISU uses it would be much easier for me to read.

M, I am not very good at working in PDF but there has to be someone who can massage the file to lighten it up. I am sitting here looking at IN-Prac, IN-Main, and Sprint venues. And the time periods. And banging my head against a wall. :bang:
It is clear that we the fans will get darned few chances to see the champs practice in the Sprint center. Tuesday will have to be a Sprint day for me. In fact, I am not so sure I will try and get to the IN-Main on Monday for the Novice ladies short, but we shall see. And since the WWI museum opens at 10 am during the week, except closed on Mondays, I might have to throw that side trip under the bus. Unless I make a quick trip after the FOFS breakfast Sunday and get back before the men. Might just see some local sights on Monday as I dont think I need to see the novice ladies for $90 plus tip. Bummer the way this comp is set up. Note that the Sprint center is siting empty on Monday...:angry1:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It seems the growing trend...St. Paul, KC, and probably San Jose...is to have the championship levels only practice once in the main arena. As a fan, this is a big disappointment. I love watching practices and with this set up if you miss the practice the only time you will see those particular skaters is during the competition.

I'm going to San Jose in 2018, but honestly beyond that I'm really not sure.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It seems the growing trend...St. Paul, KC, and probably San Jose...is to have the championship levels only practice once in the main arena. As a fan, this is a big disappointment. I love watching practices and with this set up if you miss the practice the only time you will see those particular skaters is during the competition.

I'm going to San Jose in 2018, but honestly beyond that I'm really not sure.

I hate to say it, but I am going to take a hard look at the nats after San Jose. I love the facilities at San Jose, the next door hotel with all you can eat bacon breakfast, etc and the train that runs down to Frisco (I think) so that will be a good winter vacation. Omaha, with its on site practice rink, free rides to the eatery district 4 blocks away, etc was about perfect. The Nats city for 2019 better have something going for it, since I think the USFS will continue to throw the novices (and us)under the bus. Since the ORG and USFS at KC chose to not provide a shuttle bus for Monday especially, saving themselves $1500 minus what they could have charged us fans, I am not feeling the love here. I made my hotel and flight reservations in advance of the schedule. I will be wiser next time if they have nats in a warm, interesting city. If they dont, but I still want to go, I will come later in the week and cost the locals some cash. Then there is that 15 day cruise to Hawaii out of LA........

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a link for the uber website: https://www.uber.com/fare-estimate/

An uber fare to travel from Sprint Center to Silverstein Arena is $17-$22. I don't have a smart phone so I can't use uber and I'm not really sold on uber anyway.

Maybe other fans would be interested in uber for travel from their hotel or Sprint Center to the Silverstein Arena in Independence.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here is a link for the uber website: https://www.uber.com/fare-estimate/

An uber fare to travel from Sprint Center to Silverstein Arena is $17-$22. I don't have a smart phone so I can't use uber and I'm not really sold on uber anyway.

Maybe other fans would be interested in uber for travel from their hotel or Sprint Center to the Silverstein Arena in Independence.

OK, that's interesting. I dont know this but I wonder if one does use uber, et al, one can make a deal with the driver to pick one up and return at a specific time?

Saw this in my email today:
ALL-SESSION TICKETS & PRACTICE PASSES: All-session tickets purchased by December 15th will be received by January 1, 2017. In addition, for each all session ticket purchased, a practice pass will be sent separately by mail. A schedule of practice sessions for both competition venues (Sprint Center and Silverstein Eye Center) will be available at www.2017usfigureskatingchampionships.com. All junior and senior level competitions are scheduled to be held at Sprint Center in Downtown Kansas City. Competitions for juvenile, intermediate and novice events will be held at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in nearby Independence, Missouri. The practice pass you receive will be your ticket to gain admittance to ALL events held at Silverstein Eye Center (practices and competition sessions).

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OK, that's interesting. I dont know this but I wonder if one does use uber, et al, one can make a deal with the driver to pick one up and return at a specific time?

Saw this in my email today:
ALL-SESSION TICKETS & PRACTICE PASSES: All-session tickets purchased by December 15th will be received by January 1, 2017. In addition, for each all session ticket purchased, a practice pass will be sent separately by mail. A schedule of practice sessions for both competition venues (Sprint Center and Silverstein Eye Center) will be available at www.2017usfigureskatingchampionships.com. All junior and senior level competitions are scheduled to be held at Sprint Center in Downtown Kansas City. Competitions for juvenile, intermediate and novice events will be held at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in nearby Independence, Missouri. The practice pass you receive will be your ticket to gain admittance to ALL events held at Silverstein Eye Center (practices and competition sessions).

I haven't used Uber but have read things about drivers also working so your answer about making a deal to pick up is "maybe". If the driver is driving for a few hours and then going to a another job they may not be available to pick you up. Also, you pay up front online with Uber with your credit card. The drivers do not take cash and the credit card transaction is done online through the Uber app.