The Annual Search for the Practice Schedule | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Annual Search for the Practice Schedule

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I haven't used Uber but have read things about drivers also working so your answer about making a deal to pick up is "maybe". If the driver is driving for a few hours and then going to a another job they may not be available to pick you up. Also, you pay up front online with Uber with your credit card. The drivers do not take cash and the credit card transaction is done online through the Uber app.

OK, I have never used them. Didnt know. I have had cabbies give me their cards after delivering me to a place and had them tell me to call them when I/we needed to go back. Makes sense that in order to save money, Uber would be all computerized.
Still no tickets...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

In the spirit of AHB's comment :), an FYI for anyone interested:

The following autograph sessions are planned (subject to change) and will take place at the Prudential Autograph Station on the main concourse.

Friday, January 20 | 4-4:45 p.m. | Championship Ice Dance (top 4 after short)
Saturday, January 21 | 1:15-2 p.m. | Championship Men (top 4 after short)
Sunday, January 22 | Noon-12:45 p.m. | Championship Pairs and Ladies Medalists

http://www.2017usfigureskatingchampionships.com/frequently-asked-questions/ (emphasis added)​

ETA (on Jan 13), the schedule for Autograph Sessions has been updated. Please see:

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
In the spirit of AHB's comment :), an FYI for anyone interested:

The following autograph sessions are planned (subject to change) and will take place at the Prudential Autograph Station on the main concourse.

Friday, January 20 | 4-4:45 p.m. | Championship Ice Dance (top 4 after short)
Saturday, January 21 | 1:15-2 p.m. | Championship Men (top 4 after short)
Sunday, January 22 | Noon-12:45 p.m. | Championship Pairs and Ladies Medalists

http://www.2017usfigureskatingchampionships.com/frequently-asked-questions/ (emphasis added)​

Interesting that the top four ice dance couples will be signing autographs before they have even competed to determine who will be in the top four. :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If anyone finds the ice dance.com schedule, please post it! I found it much easier to work with than the color coded one put out by USFS. I'm sure I won't be making more than 1 trip to Independence so I can cut and paste from the ice dance.com schedule and then eliminate the practice rink. ....

So ... ice-dance.com has not (at least not yet???) published a reformatted schedule for this year, although its Nats coverage page is up and running.

The ice-dance.com Nats page has a different structure this year, and (at least so far???) has no sign that a reformatted schedule will be forthcoming, although hope springs eternal.
[Maybe(???) ice-dance.com is waiting to undertake its reformatting until USFS officially publishes a non-preliminary version of the schedule??? If you're really curious, the page has e-mail addresses where it welcomes feedback.]

Interesting that the top four ice dance couples will be signing autographs before they have even competed to determine who will be in the top four. :laugh:

:eek: Ohhhh, you are right. Had not noticed. Good thing the schedule is subject to change ;).

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks Ice coverage. I sent ice-dance a message on FB asking about the 2017 schedule. I really hope they plan on publishing it for 2017 Nationals!

An hour ago I received a message on FB from ice-dance.com. They are working on the reformatted schedule and it will be ready soon. I'm so glad since I find it much easier to read than the big schedule USFS puts out.

So ... ice-dance.com has not (at least not yet???) published a reformatted schedule for this year, although its Nats coverage page is up and running.

The ice-dance.com Nats page has a different structure this year, and (at least so far???) has no sign that a reformatted schedule will be forthcoming, although hope springs eternal.
[Maybe(???) ice-dance.com is waiting to undertake its reformatting until USFS officially publishes a non-preliminary version of the schedule??? If you're really curious, the page has e-mail addresses where it welcomes feedback.]

:eek: Ohhhh, you are right. Had not noticed. Good thing the schedule is subject to change ;).

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was wondering the same thing. They did well at 2016 Nationals and then did an early competition and then nothing. I haven't seen any announcement about a breakup or injury. I did notice that their website has been taken down :(

does anyone know what happened to Thomas/Eaton?

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is some information about the Silverstein Arena. Anything on the schedule that is listed IN-PRAC is in a part of the rink that has about 5 rows of bleacher seating. Events that are listed as IN-MAIN are in the area where there are actual seats.

b-man

Final Flight
Here is some information about the Silverstein Arena. Anything on the schedule that is listed IN-PRAC is in a part of the rink that has about 5 rows of bleacher seating. Events that are listed as IN-MAIN are in the area where there are actual seats.

Thanks, I was just going to ask about the difference. Let's hope they don't restrict admittance to the IN-PRAC part of the rink due to limited space like they did to practices in St. Paul. I never figured out if St. Paul practice was restricted due to a small building or limited parking, though it doesn't matter at this point. I think the main Silverstein arena has 5000+ seats, so there should be more than enough room there, and enough parking for both rinks.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If KC restricts the practice rink at Silverstein, I would be fairly sure that it is because of the very limited seating. With concerts and such held in the facility, it just couldn't be because of the parking. I don't know about St. Paul, because as a fan I couldn't get into the practice rink, but I read that it had very limited seating.

Here is a thought going forward to San Jose. The main ice surface at Sharks Ice (can't remember the new name) is listed as seating 550. When hockey games were held in that facility they routinely squeezed in 1000. I don't think you could fit almost double capacity unless it is bleacher seating. IIRC in 2012 when San Jose hosted they said they were not providing a shuttle to the practice facility (Sharks Ice) because of the very limited seating. Seems like anyone watching Jr. SPs are going to be sitting on bleachers.

Thanks, I was just going to ask about the difference. Let's hope they don't restrict admittance to the IN-PRAC part of the rink due to limited space like they did to practices in St. Paul. I never figured out if St. Paul practice was restricted due to a small building or limited parking, though it doesn't matter at this point. I think the main Silverstein arena has 5000+ seats, so there should be more than enough room there, and enough parking for both rinks.

b-man

Final Flight
Yes, I went to Sharks Ice many times in 2012. (I had a rental car, it was 2-3 miles from the main rink). Sharks Ice had 2 or 3 rinks. The lobby was warm, but the rink practices were skated in was very cold, had a few hundred bleacher seats (maybe 550), and had a cloudy plexiglass barrier between the spectators and the skaters, presumably to offer protection from errant pucks.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, I went to Sharks Ice many times in 2012. (I had a rental car, it was 2-3 miles from the main rink). Sharks Ice had 2 or 3 rinks. The lobby was warm, but the rink practices were skated in was very cold, had a few hundred bleacher seats (maybe 550), and had a cloudy plexiglass barrier between the spectators and the skaters, presumably to offer protection from errant pucks.

Thanks for the input. That's what the pics looked like on the web. I can see why they have regionals and sectionals and even the International Classic at these rinks but I dont pay $1300 to go to those events either....
Omaha had a secondary temp rink on site....Greensboro ditto....Worlds LA ditto....Even Boston 2014 had the convention center.....it can be done....

And where will Nats 2019 be held? It better be Vegas!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If KC restricts the practice rink at Silverstein, I would be fairly sure that it is because of the very limited seating. With concerts and such held in the facility, it just couldn't be because of the parking. I don't know about St. Paul, because as a fan I couldn't get into the practice rink, but I read that it had very limited seating.

Here is a thought going forward to San Jose. The main ice surface at Sharks Ice (can't remember the new name) is listed as seating 550. When hockey games were held in that facility they routinely squeezed in 1000. I don't think you could fit almost double capacity unless it is bleacher seating. IIRC in 2012 when San Jose hosted they said they were not providing a shuttle to the practice facility (Sharks Ice) because of the very limited seating. Seems like anyone watching Jr. SPs are going to be sitting on bleachers.

Looking at the place from space, they have beaucoup parking.....
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...040014!4d-94.3573692!6m1!1e1?hl=en&authuser=0

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was wondering the same thing. They did well at 2016 Nationals and then did an early competition and then nothing. I haven't seen any announcement about a breakup or injury. I did notice that their website has been taken down :(

Oh no.......:(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
His Mom reported at FSU that he is recovering from hernia surgery and that they have called it quits. Sounded like he would be looking for a new partner.

His mom also posted the same report in the GS fan thread for Thomas/Eaton.

My best to all concerned :ghug:.

... An hour ago I received a message on FB from ice-dance.com. They are working on the reformatted schedule and it will be ready soon. I'm so glad since I find it much easier to read than the big schedule USFS puts out.

Glad to hear that ice-dance.com responded to you with good news :cool:.