2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 112 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I wonder if Stephen Gogolev was mortified to compete against Patrick Chan at nationals this past January with their age gap being 14 years. :rolleye: Chiddy: born in December of 1990, Stephen: born in December of 2004.

Maybe he was the other kind of mortified: subdue (the body or its needs and desires) by self-denial or discipline. Like he saw Patrick's excellence and he thought "darn.. I need to get work!
"

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe he was the other kind of mortified: subdue (the body or its needs and desires) by self-denial or discipline. Like he saw Patrick's excellence and he thought "darn.. I need to get work!
"
The greatest remaining contribution Patrick could make to Canadian figure skating would be to take a consulting position at Orser’s operation and focus on tutoring Stephen on bladework/choreo. In the quad arms race, the ones who can do interesting stuff in between the quads will have something extra.

Unrelatedly, the results at 2018 Worlds make me wonder if KMT/Marinaro have more upside over the next four years than I had previously thought. Even granting that their sixth-place overall finish was aided by others’ mistakes, it’s as fair to note that they set personal best scores in the free and overall despite KMT’s ankle injury impeding them through the lead up to and during the event. Seems like they got some real traction with that panel of judges, at least, and I think Marinaro still has a fair bit of room where he could further improve.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Do you think it might help to update the title? Maybe so people know to post here about Canadian skaters and not just about what happened at the Olympics?

It has Canadian in the title. If people would like to get into the Twitter posting history of American celebrities in this thread they are going off topic. Actually, shouldn't the mods be keeping up with this?

"

Did you watch Stephen skate at Nationals? He yoloed at 3A at the end of his FS and planned to do a quad Lutz as his opening jump. Stephen was there to skate and do his best, regardless of who was on the ice. And seeing his quad Lutz in the warm up it was obvious he gave no flying figs about who he was competing against.

The greatest remaining contribution Patrick could make to Canadian figure skating would be to take a consulting position at Orser’s operation and focus on tutoring Stephen on bladework/choreo. In the quad arms race, the ones who can do interesting stuff in between the quads will have something extra.

Unrelatedly, the results at 2018 Worlds make me wonder if KMT/Marinaro have more upside over the next four years than I had previously thought. Even granting that their sixth-place overall finish was aided by others’ mistakes, it’s as fair to note that they set personal best scores in the free and overall despite KMT’s ankle injury impeding them through the lead up to and during the event. Seems like they got some real traction with that panel of judges, at least, and I think Marinaro still has a fair bit of room where he could further improve.

Colonel Green Patrick won't be joining Brian because he's got his own school opening up in Vancouver. He wants the West Coast skaters to have the kind coaching available to them that folks in Ontario and Quebec have. But fear not, Stephen is involved with Gadbois to work on these things.

Agreed about M-T/M 2.0. They haven't maxed out their difficulty yet so there's still room for improvement.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It has Canadian in the title. If people would like to get into the Twitter posting history of American celebrities in this thread they are going off topic. Actually, shouldn't the mods be keeping up with this?

Did you watch Stephen skate at Nationals? He yoloed at 3A at the end of his FS and planned to do a quad Lutz as his opening jump. Stephen was there to skate and do his best, regardless of who was on the ice. And seeing his quad Lutz in the warm up it was obvious he gave no flying figs about who he was competing against.

Colonel Green Patrick won't be joining Brian because he's got his own school opening up in Vancouver. He wants the West Coast skaters to have the kind coaching available to them that folks in Ontario and Quebec have. But fear not, Stephen is involved with Gadbois to work on these things.

Agreed about M-T/M 2.0. They haven't maxed out their difficulty yet so there's still room for improvement.
The mortified thing was more about the fact that the word has another meaning.

I was feeling very catholic today on Easter Sunday.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The mortified thing was more about the fact that the word has another meaning.

I was feeling very catholic today on Easter Sunday.

It still doesn't make sense. He got angry and did a 3A at the end of his program. How is that subdued? Actually, you don't need to explain it. It's ok.

millie

Medalist
It seems as if Kaetlyn is very popular in the figure skating world. She has been invited to all the ice shows. I suppose that not uncommon for the Ladies World Champion.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It seems as if Kaetlyn is very popular in the figure skating world. She has been invited to all the ice shows. I suppose that not uncommon for the Ladies World Champion.

yup and especially since the last two wc were the same girl, and it's her first, so it's the "optimal" timing for marketing. I hope she manages touring to that level with poise and manages her fatigue well.

millie

Medalist
yup and especially since the last two wc were the same girl, and it's her first, so it's the "optimal" timing for marketing. I hope she manages touring to that level with poise and manages her fatigue well.

Yes she quite the gal....on April 14 she is doing a benefit in Marystown, Newfoundland, her hometown. All the proceeds go the Mental Health Initiative in that area. She is giving back to the little community that supported her...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Since we don't have a 2018-2019 Skating Programs thread I'll put this here.

Roman and David working on a new SP: https://youtu.be/ymKT5O_j0cU

Can you guess the music from the few seconds we get to hear?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It still doesn't make sense. He got angry and did a 3A at the end of his program. How is that subdued? Actually, you don't need to explain it. It's ok.

I am a Catholic also, and it does not make sense, Mango...maybe she meant ''crucified'', as in nailed to a cross, versus mortified?

Regardless, missing me some ancientpeas, and I hope to see her back soon!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I am a Catholic also, and it does not make sense, Mango...maybe she meant ''crucified'', as in nailed to a cross, versus mortified?

Regardless, missing me some ancientpeas, and I hope to see her back soon!

If you read enough Brian Orser interviews you get a sense of what Stephen is like. He's this quiet kid if you try to interview him but he's actually a very intelligent guy when it comes to skating. Ah but I'll let his skating do the talking. As always.

Did you mean TGee? She was our resident academic. :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I only brought up Gogo in relation to Chiddy because I interpreted Skater Boy’s post to be implying that “young” Jeffrey would be mortified to compete against “old man” Ravi. ;) It was tongue in cheek. Gogo doesn’t seem to give a flying you-know-what about who he’s competing against, he just goes out there and does his thang.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
If you read enough Brian Orser interviews you get a sense of what Stephen is like. He's this quiet kid if you try to interview him but he's actually a very intelligent guy when it comes to skating. Ah but I'll let his skating do the talking. As always.

Did you mean TGee? She was our resident academic. :)

The one whose name we shall not speak. I don't know about anyone else, but I miss TGee, daily. What a loss for this Forum!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
As I said, I was trying, unsuccessfully, to be funny.

Anyway, really nice to see you back 4ever. I missed you a lot. Sarah and I tried to keep up the Poje admiration society without you.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We're a ways from getting the details, but I'll be interested in what the Canadian Fed decides to do for its Grand Prix strategy this year. It's highly unlikely we can make the men's final (prove me wrong, Keegan!), to start.

For the women, Kaetlyn's made it the last two years (one more will equal Joannie Rochette's record for the most appearances by a Canadian woman), and seems like a favourite to do so again. Presumably she'll do Skate Canada again, and probably France as the other. Gabby's not in the same seed bracket as Kaetlyn (if Carolina retires, she'll be the sixth seed, in the same bracket as Alina and Bradie), so I expect they'll probably double up at Skate Canada and then she'll also get...whichever other event is left over after Alina and Bradie's places are selected. There's only been one occasion where two Canadian women made the final (Joannie and Cynthia Phaneuf in 2004-05). It'll probably be a challenge to do it again, though ironically if Gabby if the sixth seed that's actually relatively advantageous compared to if she'd made the top three, since it means she can do Skate Canada and try for either gold or silver there. A silver and a bronze has been enough to make the Final on a number of occasions. Gabby didn't have a ton of luck last year (Olympic team event aside), so here's to next year being better.

Based on the way they've handled ice dance in prior years, I expect the Fed will do a similar doubling-up strategy with Kaitlyn/Andrew and Piper/Paul at Skate Canada, aiming for two-top placements. Kaitlyn and Andrew might stand a good chance of winning both their events; Piper/Paul will probably have to hope for either another silver or a bronze and that that'll be enough.

Ziotic

Medalist
We're a ways from getting the details, but I'll be interested in what the Canadian Fed decides to do for its Grand Prix strategy this year. It's highly unlikely we can make the men's final (prove me wrong, Keegan!), to start.

For the women, Kaetlyn's made it the last two years (one more will equal Joannie Rochette's record for the most appearances by a Canadian woman), and seems like a favourite to do so again. Presumably she'll do Skate Canada again, and probably France as the other. Gabby's not in the same seed bracket as Kaetlyn (if Carolina retires, she'll be the sixth seed, in the same bracket as Alina and Bradie), so I expect they'll probably double up at Skate Canada and then she'll also get...whichever other event is left over after Alina and Bradie's places are selected. There's only been one occasion where two Canadian women made the final (Joannie and Cynthia Phaneuf in 2004-05). It'll probably be a challenge to do it again, though ironically if Gabby if the sixth seed that's actually relatively advantageous compared to if she'd made the top three, since it means she can do Skate Canada and try for either gold or silver there. A silver and a bronze has been enough to make the Final on a number of occasions. Gabby didn't have a ton of luck last year (Olympic team event aside), so here's to next year being better.

Based on the way they've handled ice dance in prior years, I expect the Fed will do a similar doubling-up strategy with Kaitlyn/Andrew and Piper/Paul at Skate Canada, aiming for two-top placements. Kaitlyn and Andrew might stand a good chance of winning both their events; Piper/Paul will probably have to hope for either another silver or a bronze and that that'll be enough.

I agree that Skate Canada is probably really hoping to see Carolina retire, it would be extremely advantageous to have both of them at Skate Canada and not have to invite other top contenders. Depending on what "slot" they get for choosing their invitees, I think it could be a bad situation where they have no choice but to invite Alina.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Hoping Kaetlyn will do Skate America for Grand Prix.

Why?

Where's Skate America 2018?

EVERETT, WASHINGTON.

Gee, I wonder who lives one county away?

MR. YANK FOR OSMOND

Vancouver & Victoria BC are only a relatively few hours away. There's even Calgary & Edmonton flights to SeaTac International flight from Alaska Airlines & Edmonton-SeaTac + Toronto-SeaTac flights by Air Canada.

So hoping for the best.