2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 160 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pacific Coasts Junior Ladies

1) Alysa Liu - 171.42 = 61.68 (1) + 109.74 (1)
- Two Level 4 spins and a solid 3F-3T with all + GOE in the SP, and all Level 4 spins plus a solid 3F-1L-3S plus an attempted 3Lz-3T though the 3T was underrotated and she did fall (but still, 7 attempted triples!)
- 2nd in Advanced Novice at this season's Asian Trophy
2) Akari Nakahara - 143.98 = 51.50 (4) + 92.48 (2)
-Level 4 on two spins + steps though both triples underrotated in the SP, then all level 4 spins and 6 attempted triples though 2 underrotations and an edge call
- 8th in the 2015-2016 Poland JGP
3) Lily Sun - 143.70 = 51.91 (3) + 91.79 (3)
- All Level 4 spins and a 3T-3T but edge call/fall on 3Lz in the SP, and 2 Level 4 spins plus 6 triples out of 7 planned including a 3T-3T though a fall on a solo 3F
4) Emma Coppess - 136.71 = 46.33 (6) + 90.38 (4)
- All Level 4 Spins/Steps in her SP despite popping her 3L and thus invalidating the entire combination in the SP, and then 2 Level 4 spins and 6 attempted triples with an underrotation and 2 falls

Junior Ladies Nationals Qualifiers by score

189.05 - Hanna Harrell (M1)
171.42 - Alysa Liu (P1)
163.31 - Ting Cui (E1)
161.76 - Jenna Shi (M2)
156.97 - Audrey Shin (E2)
151.35 - Pooja Kalyan (M3)
150.71 - Angelina Huang (M4)
149.60 - Gabriella Izzo (E3)
143.98 - Akari Nakahara (P2)
143.70 - Lily Sun (P3)
140.54 - Emily Zhang (E4)
136.71 - Emma Coppess (P4)

*Alysa is the only one who is ineligible for Junior Worlds. She does not turns 13 until August 2018 and thus won't be JGP eligible until the 2019-2020 season.

I wonder if they'd even give Hanna a JWs slot even if she clearly wins the title, considering all the Junior eligible skaters competing Seniors this year at Nationals. Emmy Ma, Kaitlyn Nguyen, Starr Andrews, Tessa Hong,and Ashley Lin all competed JGP this season and qualified for Senior Nationals, plus the additional Junior-age-eligible skaters who've been competing Seniors nationally before.

Kaitlyn hasn't yet qualified and may not, since she's 5th going into this afternoon's free skate and four points behind 4th place.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Even with this past weekend, mrrice, your pick of Polina as a wildcard medalist at the nationals may yet prove to be uncanny. She’s made tremendous progress since the summer and the trajectory of her improvement has been steep, but with her programs and presentation, she could very well be a contender in San Jose…that is, if she recovers her jumps. There are only six weeks to go, however, so it will be a close-run thing.

The pity is that, in terms of what has always set her apart from other skaters—the light, lyric flow, the wonderful balletic quality, and those superb lines and extensions—she has already found a more mature and artistic style than she had known before. For those who love beautiful figure skating, it is enough; but, alas, you cannot win a competition without the jumps.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Pacific Coasts Senior Ladies qualifiers

1) Starr Andrews - 186.50 = 66.46 (1) + 120.04 (2)
- Solid 3T-3T and all Level 4 elements in the SP, then again all Level 4 elements in the FS plus a 3T-3T with a 1.54 GOE!
- Last season's Junior silver medalist and 5th at JGP Austria this season
2) Tessa Hong - 181.94 = 59.89 (3/2T) + 122.05 (1)
- All Level 4 elements but 3F in combo was underrotated and 3T was downgraded in the SP, then all Level 4 spins and a 3Lz-3T though the 3T was downgraded again and she doubled the other planned 3T in the FS
- 10th at Nationals last season, 6th at JGP Belarus this season
3) Vivian Le - 142.43 = 59.89 (2/2T) + 82.54 (6)
- All Level 4 elements but an edge call on her solo 3Lz in the SP, and all Level 4 spins in the FS but an underrotated 3S and and edge call on a 3F plus 4 falls (so -6.00 since -1.00 for falls 1 and 2 and -2.00 for falls 3 and 4)
- 2015-2016 Junior silver medalist and 3rd at both that season's Slovakia and USA JGPs
4) Kaitlyn Nguyen - 139.51 = 51.56 (5) + 87.95 (3)
- All Level 4 spins in the SP but doubled her 3T in her combo in the SP, then all Level 4 spins again in the FS but then edge calls on both 3Fs with one underrotated and some pops and a mess of a combo that got completely invalidated
- Last season's US Junior champion and 5th at this season's Croatia and Australia JGPs

Former Nationals competitors at Novice or above who missed out this year: Elena Pulkinen (Camden's older sister!), Alice Yang (2015-2016 Triglav Trophy Jr bronze medalist), Alexis Gagnon, Vanna Giang (8th at the 2016 Youth Olympic Games), Livvy Shilling (9th at this season's CS Autumn Classic International), Nina Ouellette (9th at last season's Germany JGP), and Sierra Venetta (2015-2016 US Novice bronze medalist)

Senior Ladies Nationals Qualifiers (from Sectionals only) by score

186.50 - Starr Andrews (P1)
181.94 - Tessa Hong (P2)
175.65 - Hannah Miller (M1)
167.51 - Emmy Ma (E1)
166.79 - Brynne McIsaac (M2)
155.54 - Emily Chan (M3)
153.33 - Franchesca Chiera (E2)
151.31 - Ashley Lin (M4)
147.29 - Katie McBeath (E3)
146.44 - Megan Wessenberg (E4)
142.43 - Vivian Le (P3)
139.51 - Kaitlyn Nguyen (P4)

Interestingly, the Pacific Coast ladies had both the 2 best and 2 worst scores out of all 12. There was nearly a 40 point gap between Tessa in 2nd and Vivia in 3rd! Further interestingly, Hanna Harrell's score beat all the Seniors!

- - - Updated - - -

Kaitlyn hasn't yet qualified and may not, since she's 5th going into this afternoon's free skate and four points behind 4th place.

Somehow she managed to qualify even though her FS was a bit of a mess!

MarinHondas

Final Flight

solid score for Starr there. Could get a top 5 finish at nationals if she does not pop like she did here a bit in the long. Love her skating, she needs someone to give her a bit of technical help as her jump technique is not the strongest but she seems to have a bright future. I'm glad she took out the 3a attempt, sometimes you gotta weigh the risk vs reward.

frida80

Record Breaker

- Solid 3T-3T and all Level 4 elements in the SP, then again all Level 4 elements in the FS plus a 3T-3T with a 1.54 GOE!
- Last season's Junior silver medalist and 5th at JGP Austria this season
2) Tessa Hong - 181.94 = 59.89 (3/2T) + 122.05 (1)
- All Level 4 elements but 3F in combo was underrotated and 3T was downgraded in the SP, then all Level 4 spins and a 3Lz-3T though the 3T was downgraded again and she doubled the other planned 3T in the FS
- 10th at Nationals last season, 6th at JGP Belarus this season
3) Vivian Le - 142.43 = 59.89 (2/2T) + 82.54 (6)
- All Level 4 elements but an edge call on her solo 3Lz in the SP, and all Level 4 spins in the FS but an underrotated 3S and and edge call on a 3F plus 4 falls (so -6.00 since -1.00 for falls 1 and 2 and -2.00 for falls 3 and 4)
- 2015-2016 Junior silver medalist and 3rd at both that season's Slovakia and USA JGPs
4) Kaitlyn Nguyen - 139.51 = 51.56 (5) + 87.95 (3)
- All Level 4 spins in the SP but doubled her 3T in her combo in the SP, then all Level 4 spins again in the FS but then edge calls on both 3Fs with one underrotated and some pops and a mess of a combo that got completely invalidated
- Last season's US Junior champion and 5th at this season's Croatia and Australia JGPs

Former Nationals competitors at Novice or above who missed out this year: Elena Pulkinen (Camden's older sister!), Alice Yang (2015-2016 Triglav Trophy Jr bronze medalist), Alexis Gagnon, Vanna Giang (8th at the 2016 Youth Olympic Games), Livvy Shilling (9th at this season's CS Autumn Classic International), Nina Ouellette (9th at last season's Germany JGP), and Sierra Venetta (2015-2016 US Novice bronze medalist)

Senior Ladies Nationals Qualifiers (from Sectionals only) by score

186.50 - Starr Andrews (P1)
181.94 - Tessa Hong (P2)
175.65 - Hannah Miller (M1)
167.51 - Emmy Ma (E1)
166.79 - Brynne McIsaac (M2)
155.54 - Emily Chan (M3)
153.33 - Franchesca Chiera (E2)
151.31 - Ashley Lin (M4)
147.29 - Katie McBeath (E3)
146.44 - Megan Wessenberg (E4)
142.43 - Vivian Le (P3)
139.51 - Kaitlyn Nguyen (P4)

Interestingly, the Pacific Coast ladies had both the 2 best and 2 worst scores out of all 12. There was nearly a 40 point gap between Tessa in 2nd and Vivia in 3rd! Further interestingly, Hanna Harrell's score beat all the Seniors!

- - - Updated - - -

Somehow she managed to qualify even though her FS was a bit of a mess!

Sectionals answered a lot of questions I had about juniors abs and senior B competitors after the GP started.

1. How is Vivian doing?

Still a rocky comeback aparrently. No loop still. Her jumps are still rough. But she made it to nationals! Good for her.

2. Progress with Tessa?

This freeskate was a lot cleaner than the one on the JGP. Fewer underrotations for sure. Just one downgrade. It makes me cautiously optimistic for the future. However, I didn’t see the jumps myself. I good tech controller may very well have a different opinion.

3. What effects did Starr’s injury have on her.

Well it looks like Starr can’t do a flip or lutz right now. She was injured about 6 weeks ago. So maybe she will have her jumps back soon. Nationals is very close though. But Junior worlds is in March. Hopefully, she will have them sorted out before then. Good job by her winning sectionals with just her 3T, 3S, 3L, and 2A.

4. How’s Hannah Miller doing?

She’s been under the radar for a year. It’s great to see her pull in good scores just before nationals! It’s unfortunate that she’s not eligible for 4CC. We’ll see if she gets put in a competition before then, just in case.

Emmy is still shaky at sectionals. A pity since she was so strong at her first JGP. Maybe she just needs to get used to her senior program again. Brynne has far fewer underrotations. This is awesome, since they were really bad last year. Kaitlyn made some big errors. Changing coaches means getting used to the coach’s new style and perhaps some rocky skates in between. Good for both her and Ashley coming back from behind to make it to nationals.

Hannah Harrell is a revelation! I’m so glad it finally clicked together! It was a good idea for USFS to get her a JGP slot because it’s very likely that she will be either going to JW or on the alternate’s list. I was wondering if anyone could beat Alyssa! And clearly, Alyssa is going to be formidable in the future.Ting made it nationals! With her and Angelina, all the JGP ladies made it to nationals.

Next week is Talllin Trophy and SA. By then we’ll see what Angela Wang and Caroline Zhang look like before nationals. As well as see how Bradie, Ashley, and Karen are doing. Then there’s only Golden Spin and Nationals.

The fall season is almost over already! :(

frida80

Record Breaker

solid score for Starr there. Could get a top 5 finish at nationals if she does not pop like she did here a bit in the long. Love her skating, she needs someone to give her a bit of technical help as her jump technique is not the strongest but she seems to have a bright future. I'm glad she took out the 3a attempt, sometimes you gotta weigh the risk vs reward.

She didn’t pop anything today. She simplified her FS because she couldn’t do her flip or Lutz because of her injury.

b-man

Final Flight
Even with this past weekend, mrrice, your pick of Polina as a wildcard medalist at the nationals may yet prove to be uncanny. She’s made tremendous progress since the summer and the trajectory of her improvement has been steep, but with her programs and presentation, she could very well be a contender in San Jose…that is, if she recovers her jumps. There are only six weeks to go, however, so it will be a close-run thing.

A 10th place finish in the French grand prix, repeated mistakes in the jumps, failure to break 160 is not someone the US wants on its Olympic team. With 6 weeks left, time has run out. She is a pretender, not a contender.

macy

Record Breaker
Hannah miller looks the best I've seen her in a long time. I know she was struggling with an injury for a while and had surgery, but she looks great. haven't seen her FS since IN has not uploaded it yet.

Hanna Harrell and ting cui are really remarkable. ting's jumps are BEAUTIFUL! so light and easy.

also, i'm bummed haley beavers didn't skate well. she has a lot of potential and could have went on with 2 solids skates. her jumps are beautiful as well when she hits them. I hope she keeps trying.

frida80

Record Breaker
Unofficial, but this document shows Karen Chen, Bradie Tennell and Starr Andrews (!) for Golden Spin of Zagreb: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cs2017/csladies.htm

Bradie and Karen I predicted. They both need WR points and Karen will always go to a competition when asked. She likes the challenge. But Starr is a surprise. I was guessing Mirai or Mariah for the third spot. But I guess they would both prefer to focus on nationals instead. Good for Starr. She gets more practice before nationals and a new chance for a personal best.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Unofficial, but this document shows Karen Chen, Bradie Tennell and Starr Andrews (!) for Golden Spin of Zagreb: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cs2017/csladies.htm

So glad they sent Karen. She needs to practice that long more as she has only competed it once this season. It’s very beneficial to her to practice it again in a competitive way. Bradie was also a smart choice. She has been very consistent this season(!!!! unusual for us ladies) and could be a spoiler for the Olympic team. If she performs well again at SA..... who knows? Starr I’m a bit confused about. It’s nice that she got the opportunity but I would send Mirai or Mariah, whichever has more question marks right now. (Probably Mariah). Still a good opportunity for a new senior.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bradie and Karen I predicted. They both need WR points and Karen will always go to a competition when asked. She likes the challenge. But Starr is a surprise. I was guessing Mirai or Mariah for the third spot. But I guess they would both prefer to focus on nationals instead. Good for Starr. She gets more practice before nationals and a new chance for a personal best.

Is this Starr's first senior international? Maybe she needs qualifying scores so that she could be in the mix for Four Continents?

it will be interesting to see who the younger ladies fare at nationals like Emma Ma, Starr Andrews, Tessa Hong-did will in short last year-no go in free (hopefully better this year) as well as bradie, hanna, vivian le. to me some of the ladies from sectionals might have that 3 spot open the way the ladies skating in season so far has gone.

That is why i think all 3 spots are open, some are favored but for me not guaranteed, if ashley gets into gp final -help her to secure spot on the og team, karen, bradie skates well will help.
the ones coming up could surprise at nationals. they do take chances on up comers- throughout the years, sasha, tenley, michelle, tara, nicole, caryn, elaine, tiffany, albertina, lisa marie allen, carol, sarah, roz, deb, linda, janet, laurence, virigina, sonya, yvonne , gretchen, jill, kristi, nancy, kimmie, emily, just depends, mirai, rachel, ashley, gracie even; polina, so for me if the ladies don't do what suppose to i can see them going younger (inexperience on senior level)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It's exciting to have another legitimate Nationals podium contender. While you can't fairly compare scores between competitions, it's interesting to see that Starr's score last weekend tops the international season's best scores of Ashley, Karen, Angela, and Courtney.

icellist

On the Ice
the CS standings page has
Starr Andrews
Karen Chen
Bradie Tennell

listed for the US ladies at Golden Spin. Surprising, considering the latter two are both at Skate America

frida80

Record Breaker
Sounds like a good plan. Although in place of Andrews (who’s that?), I would have preferred Bell or Nagasu go - or perhaps, even Wagner if she wanted the extra data point that the GPF would provide.

Starr is last year’s junior silver medalist. She was fifth on the JGP this year in Austria. Just yesterday, she scored the highest senior score in the nation at sectionals.

This is her short from the JGP. https://youtu.be/ug9zzCUSQAk

- - - Updated - - -

Starr Andrews
Karen Chen
Bradie Tennell

listed for the US ladies at Golden Spin. Surprising, considering the latter two are both at Skate America

I have a theory, but I don’t think people will like it.

SkaterX

On the Ice
Starr Andrews
Karen Chen
Bradie Tennell

Months ago I commented that Starr should have been given a GP assignment but people were saying she didn't have the senior world ranking required for it when they made the picks. Is that true?