I, Tonya | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

MelDee

Final Flight
here's an interesting article about it . . . they mention that the producers looked for a long time for a body double who could execute a 3A but were eventually told that it was impossible.

aren't there some girls who can do 3A?

http://www.avclub.com/i-tonya-star-margot-robbie-thought-tonya-harding-was-a-1802932727

Yeah, they grow on trees :sarcasm: :p

There aren't that many females who can execute a 3A. They'd have to get an elite-level athlete (not even stunt performers would be capable of that) with the body proportions of Tonya, and preferably blonde. Tuktamysheva would probably be the closest to Harding's body type, but she's a brunette, and resides in Russia. There's Nagasu and Kihira, also brunettes. The list of females capable of a 3A really isn't that big, I'm not surprised they haven't found a body double for that.

mrrice

Record Breaker

There's not many females who can execute a 3A. They'd have to get an elite-level athlete (not even stunt performers would be capable of that) with the body proportions of Tonya, and preferably blonde. Tuktamysheva would probably be the closest to Harding's body type, but she's a brunette, and resides in Russia. There's Nagasu and Kihira, also brunettes. The list of females capable of a 3A really isn't that big, I'm not surprised they haven't found a body double for that.

They should have called Tuk. They are both about the same size and in a Blonde Wig, the right make up and costume, I think Tuk would have been a perfect double for Tonya.

brightphoton

Medalist

There's not many females who can execute a 3A. They'd have to get an elite-level athlete (not even stunt performers would be capable of that) with the body proportions of Tonya, and preferably blonde. Tuktamysheva would probably be the closest to Harding's body type, but she's a brunette, and resides in Russia. There's Nagasu and Kihira, also brunettes. The list of females capable of a 3A really isn't that big, I'm not surprised they haven't found a body double for that.

They could probably find a man who could do a triple axel, make him wear a blonde wig, and do some post-production CGI work.

MelDee

Final Flight
They should have called Tuk. They are both about the same size and in a Blonde Wig, the right make up and costume, I think Tuk would have been a perfect double for Tonya.

They missed out on this chance tbh. Tuk was relatively available last season :p (Makes me wonder if there was anyone involved in the movie who knows what's been going on in figure skating these past couple of years, surely they would've known about Liza.)

bytheriver

On the Ice
They missed out on this chance tbh. Tuk was relatively available last season :p (Makes me wonder if there was anyone involved in the movie who knows what's been going on in figure skating these past couple of years, surely they would've known about Liza.)

I think 1) the logistics of getting an actual body double from Russia were way more complicated than just replicating it with CGI and 2) Liza hasn't been doing 3A off harness this past year. She is just starting to try and get her 3A back again to fight for a spot on the Russian team. CGI has gotten so advanced that I'm pretty sure it will look pretty seamless.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I don't really know how I feel about this. I know both of Tonya's coaches and they are both kind, lovely people. I am afraid the film will portray them negatively or in a sensationalized way.

It was a sad situation- I saw Tonya skate several months ago at a public session and while she is clearly out of shape and long past her prime as a skater she is fast and powerful and an insanely fast spinner and huge jumper. You could tell even then she had been born to skate.

Hi Seren, they did not portray Diane Rawlinson in a negative light, I felt that she was a very sympathetic person.

Anyway, I saw the film and I have mixed feelings on it but it's decently entertaining I guess, they will find a distributor for sure.

If you're expecting actual figure skating references to like things that happened in the figure skating world, don't expect it, it centres around Tonya, Jeff and her mother mostly. An example would be they played up Tonya attempting to be the first lady to land the 3A at the Olympics and her failing, but didn't even name drop Midori Ito. They didn't even mention that Kristi Yamaguchi won 1992 Gold but showed that Nancy won 1992 Bronze. Nancy stuff was in the film for like, 5 minutes.

During the Q&A after they showed the movie, Margot said she asked Sarah Kawahara if they could bring a double to do the 3A on camera but Sarah told her "NOOO there's only been like 5 women since Tonya who have done it in competition!!!" And it shocked her and gave her perspective on what an athlete Tonya was. The film certainly humanizes Tonya a lot, the director said only Tonya saw the movie before they premiered it here and I can understand why Tonya liked it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think 1) the logistics of getting an actual body double from Russia were way more complicated than just replicating it with CGI and 2) Liza hasn't been doing 3A off harness this past year. She is just starting to try and get her 3A back again to fight for a spot on the Russian team. CGI has gotten so advanced that I'm pretty sure it will look pretty seamless.

Here's the thing about CGI. They can put Liza in a clear harness and eliminate the harness with CGI during the post production process. It's like airbrushing a print photo. The best thing about Tuk is the height in her jumps because it's very similar to Tonya's style. She also has a raw, slightly wild style that is very similar Tonya's.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Cournty Hicks has a 3A that is close enough that they could have used it for Hollywood purposes.... and i think she could be made to look enough like Tonya as well. Especially with a harness airbrushed out.

They also could have used a man in a wig and some padding...

But this makes a better story... and really no harm in schooling the commoners in how hard and awesome the 3A is for ladies.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I, Tonya has found a distributor

Probably get a release date soon for its Oscar run, their campaign will probably coincide with the Olympics

Yes!! I so want to see this, and see Margot / Allison Janney get Oscar nominee. Huge fan of Janney since Westwing days The thought of seeing Tonya at the Oscars makes me positively giddy in the vain of 'anything is possible' under Trumpian era.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I doubt Tonya will get invited to the Oscars for this movie unless it is a big box office success...the actress playing her (Margot Robbie) is probably not going to be nominated and it certainly won't be a Best Picture nominee. Its only real chance is with Allison Janney for being so scene-stealing. I wish the movie had been made several years ago with Amy Adams in the lead role and a more serious screenplay + director. This story/setting has more depth than the treatment it received. Fingers crossed, though, for it to still bring some returned interest to figure skating as a whole.

Warwick360

Medalist
I doubt Tonya will get invited to the Oscars for this movie unless it is a big box office success....

God, I hope not. The last thing we need is for her to continue her perpetual denial/ victim mode.

I can understand and liked Marcia Cross being at the Emmys when Sarah Paulson won for OJ vs the people, but in this case I imagine it would be very inappropriate.

But then again in spite of the reviews, we've yet to see if this movie is any good to even entertain the Oscar possibility. I for one hope it's good, and I for one hope we don't see too much of Harding because of it.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I wonder if it the movie took its tone from the 1994 Tonya/Nancy tv movie that was done shortly after the 1994 Olympics. I was actually pretty impressed with it, but it was biting and had a lot of commentary on how the media portrayed both women. It was criticizing the media while at the same time also exploiting the media-crazed frenzy that was this scandal. The one thing I was most impressed with that tv movie was how it named dropped so many names.

I think if Margot Robbie doesn't get a nomination, it's not because her performance wasn't good/great, but the Best Actress race this year seems to be incredibly competitive this time around.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I wonder if it the movie took its tone from the 1994 Tonya/Nancy tv movie that was done shortly after the 1994 Olympics. I was actually pretty impressed with it, but it was biting and had a lot of commentary on how the media portrayed both women. It was criticizing the media while at the same time also exploiting the media-crazed frenzy that was this scandal. The one thing I was most impressed with that tv movie was how it named dropped so many names.

I think if Margot Robbie doesn't get a nomination, it's not because her performance wasn't good/great, but the Best Actress race this year seems to be incredibly competitive this time around.

Hollywood is starved for young talented actresses (under 30s) to replace the last generation of incredibly diverse, glam and richly deserved pool of talented actresses or superstars. Her generation just basically one: Jennifer Lawrence, may be Emma Stone, then perhaps Kristin Stewart, Emma Watson, Hailee Steinfield, Chloe Grace Moretz, Brie Larson huge gap to fill from last.

There are no Julia Roberts, Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Sandra Bullock, someone who has the acting chops but can also sell a movie. Margot has the potential, but need the movie or the role to back her up. She has consistently been better than the movie she has been in... the moment she get close, Hollywood will push her for it whether she deserve it or not. They need stars and she is one.