2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
How kind of their Federation to split the assignments between the two teams. :thumbsup:

Yes, but it can be a double-edged sword though as the team going Euros and Olympics can have a higher chance to increase their next spot for Worlds as they have a momentum if they have three-straight major competitions. Or the team with a break from Euros and Olympics can be eager to prove their qualities, so do better at Worlds.

Barb

Record Breaker
what is strange is that prior to the announcement, the Spanish federation never announced the criteria to decide which team would be assigned to the Worlds.

Mattieu

Medalist
Yes, but it can be a double-edged sword though as the team going Euros and Olympics can have a higher chance to increase their next spot for Worlds as they have a momentum if they have three-straight major competitions. Or the team with a break from Euros and Olympics can be eager to prove their qualities, so do better at Worlds.

It is better to go to Euros than Worlds for ISU ranking points. It's easier to come higher up in Euros than in Worlds, thus more points.

tzazu

Medalist
It is better to go to Euros than Worlds for ISU ranking points. It's easier to come higher up in Euros than in Worlds, thus more points.

True, but I suppose the team going to Olympics needs more competition prior to the event

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

Axela00

Rinkside
Considering people on here will call literally any slow music "lyrical" I'm not sure what to make of this discussion... Anyway the change in trend has more to do with who the top coaching team is than anything -- frankly after 8 years of Marina style (which I find very artificial in its variety) I am perfectly content to have had this 4 years bubble of Marie-France style.

Absolutely !

Axela00

Rinkside
Wow I can't dis agree with you anymore than I do right now. I'm completely opposite opinion to you in the v/m p/c debate. I think Tessa and scott are faster, stronger, they characters are MUCH more prevelant than the french in both programs, they skate closer together, they skate from beginning to end with incredible pace and precision. I think both Tessa and Scott are better skaters than Gabriella and Guillaume. I feel the french are a tad more stiff and forced where as Tessa and Scott look like effortless and completley indulged into their characters which they do amazingly well. I'm personally shocked that P/C are eclipsing V/M with WR scores. Its actually mind boggling to me.

Well for me Scott was the “forced” one in the gpf. Also, if p/c dont skate close together, i don’t know who is...

Emilia12

Rinkside
I didn't saw her using That hashtag last year, when Spanish federation ignored their own qualification rules and send them to the World's over Sara and Kirill. Or maybe it's OK to break the rules when it's to her favor. Olivia is the last person on earth who should be complaining

matcha

Medalist
Olivia Smart is NOT happy.

https://twitter.com/olivia_smart/status/942583313394479104

She even said she and Adria are a true Team Spain or at least a true team with the Spanish flag:

https://twitter.com/olivia_smart/status/942511776096247808

and created the hashtag #playfair.

It looks like Zach Donohue, Brooklee Han, Christina Carreria, Matthew Blackmer, Marissa Castelli, and Jordan Dodds have all liked at least one of her tweets.

Lol I'd like for her to explain to me how S/D is more of a 'true team' than H/K. Have some class, girl, damn.

pearly

Record Breaker
Well maybe she wanted to say they were a true team regardless of results or anyone else, not the true team. But I still don't get the outburst, talk of ice dance drama and playfair.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well maybe she wanted to say they were a true team regardless of results or anyone else, not the true team. But I still don't get the outburst, talk of ice dance drama and playfair.

Last year H/K weren't much of a team with almost every performance Sara botched a twizzle. I honestly believe the Spanish fed thought it would be best to send S/D. Now I don't know much about the scandal Olivia speaks of but appparently there was something going down at the Senor B they did as part of the qualifiers. When they lost to H/K there it looks as though they really upped their game for the Nationals. From what I saw of the SD, S/D really looked superior in every aspect, but hey I have not seen the FD so I don't know if they royally messed up there. I only find the FD of H/K marginally better than that of S/D but I thought technique wise S/D have never looked better. So its too soon to be crucifying her. What she needs to understand though is that ice dance is fraught with this some of it intentional and some just due to the natural subjectivity of the sport. What they need to do is just be a better team and just make more inspired choices. Their FD choices for me have always been a bit too bland, they're a fun and dynamic couple, they should work with that rather than against it.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think Spanish fed needs to revise its criterias for the following years. Champs last year didn't go to worlds. This year they don't go to the Olympics. They are missing something.
2 competitions is just not enough. You have to look at how each team is scored at their other competitions too.

Of course Olivia is angry. They won nationals (by a margin), they earn a spot for Spain last year too. A judge was suspended between the SD and FD at Golden Spin and suddenly both teams don't have that much of a margin between them. They have scored a 64+ SD at Skate Canada too. If it were me, I'd be raging. And if the roles were reversed I'd expect H/K to be raging too as well, as they should.
It's highly unlikely that the fed will change its mind (especially considering what happened last year). However, it's more than legitimate to question the results if a judge was suspended in between. Let's be honest if it were some other teams, this thread would be on fire already.

Both teams deserve to go and that's very hard. I feel for them.

pearly

Record Breaker
That's a great post, thanks. Let's also not forget that they earned the Olympic spot at Worlds as a second placed team from Spain. It is weird, but I am sort of glad that the federation made the the criteria public and measurable and not "body of work" or similar.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
What other way the Fed could actually make the decision this season? S/D were the only team to go to a GP - and I think it's fair that they decided it based in competitions that both teams participated, because it's not like they have a big history competing already. Also, it's interesting to note that even with the 'scandal' with the judge, H/K only lost one segment to S/D. So, if the spanish judges, or whatever, wanted S/D to actually go to the Olympics, they could have made that margin bigger, or make them win the FD. So all this talk about unfair judging kinda falls flat to me. Both teams deserve to go, but S/D didn't manage to win a second spot either, so no one can do much about that.

pearly

Record Breaker
Where did the whole suspended judge thing come from? I've looked at the GS thread and saw nothing. What happened?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

I meant they only have one spot for Euros, Worlds and Olympics, not talking about their possibility for GP assignments next season. As long as they don't increase their berth in those major events, there will be endless dramas between the two teams. Realistically speaking, skaters with consecutive competitions in high levels have sharper forms than the team with a break. Though whoever they are, Team Spain needs to increase their Euro spot first, so the Spanish federation can have another option in deciding who to be sent to Worlds/Olympics in the next Olympic cycle.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Go HK
after being unfairly snubbed last year I thought the Fed made their statement in preferring SD
Happy that HK cold put up a fight.
Hopefully the desicion remains

I didn't saw her using That hashtag last year, when Spanish federation ignored their own qualification rules and send them to the World's over Sara and Kirill. Or maybe it's OK to break the rules when it's to her favor. Olivia is the last person on earth who should be complaining
absolutely classless & bitter