Trends of the season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Trends of the season

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Definitely makes movement easier for pairs girls (and eliminates the niggling worry about embarrassing close-up camera shots during lifts; I heard of one Olympics where the advice handbook for the media included a plea to cameramen to "avoid crotch shots of the women in the pairs events"). I would think unitards would also make it safer for the dancers if it fits the theme or mood of the program. No danger of blinding your partner with your skirt draping over his face during dance lifts!
Body suits also show everything so there are the pros and cons. And a opaque covering of the legs can add to the clunkiness which is contrary often to lyrical performances or balletic. Also skirts can add to the movement and hide flaws in skating too sometimes.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The season trend is that no one is really claiming to be the GOAT or the real leader. so far other than Adam. The results are affected in Ladies, Pairs and Dance without the Russians. Underrotations by many.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The season trend is that no one is really claiming to be the GOAT or the real leader. so far other than Adam. The results are affected in Ladies, Pairs and Dance without the Russians. Underrotations by many.
And one trend is to think like Russians had been sweeping those disciplines like forever before, even there have been podium without any of them, at least in pairs and women, For example worlds 2017 in dance, Olympics 2018 in pairs, even Europeans 2008, 2009, 2010 in women was other than Russian skaters on the podiums, worlds 2006-2011 and 2018 in women, just some of examples. 2017 only winner in women, the next was 7 th. You can find these all easily for example from Wikipedia, if you do not trust to Wikipedia, you can find ISU's result pages or Rinkresults and check. And since those I mentioned, there have been others on podium as well in bigger competitions.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm tired of seeing gloves -especially when the lady skater has a beautiful dress on and then,,,,,,,,,,,gloves. What purpose do they serve?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I'm tired of seeing gloves -especially when the lady skater has a beautiful dress on and then,,,,,,,,,,,gloves. What purpose do they serve?
Maybe they protect their hands from sharp blades. Some use nude ones. But if colour does not match to dress, it is not pretty. Nude are better. I think there are pretty ones, boring ones and ones which to not suit to other outfit.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Protection from blade cuts and rough ice with all the slides. For pairs or dancers (who don't wear them as much) it's easier to get a grip on damp fabric immediately after a fall or hand-down if otherwise her hands would be wet. I used to find a psychological aspect too, if I was used to practising with gloves on. We didn't wear gloves in competition in my day and I always felt there was something not quite right when I found myself skating with unaccustomed bare, cold hands :scratch2::(

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thought of another one -- it saves the time and effort of adding an elaborate manicure to prep time. I'd far rather see a lady wearing gloves than those raptor-length talons painted sparkly purple or whatever!