Favorite Russian lady? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favorite Russian lady?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Come on.......Is there any other choice than the first Russian Ladies World Champion. To this day, the prettiest figure skater I have seen, Maria Butyrskaya. Not only was she amazing at Worlds in 1999, she sat through a very long autograph signing and picture taking event that followed her win. Gracious, humble, and sweet as candy. It's too bad they didn't have "Selfie's" during that time because I would love to have a picture with Maria. http://www.poldis-autographs.com/da...e64d/8d47cf9c-424c-bdd9-4109-4240d501e7aa.jpg

randomfan

Record Breaker
My absolute favourite is Anna Pogorilaya...:cry:

I also like Lipnitskaya, Sotskova, Radionova, Tsurskaya, Gubanova, and Fedichkina.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
masha is so elegant and I am waiting to see them give her a fiery program, show some emotional connection to the music and get another dress for her SP. She has shown ability consistency at 16 and I think her programs are pretty good. I would love to see what Shae Lynn Bourne or David Wilson or Lori would do with her. If she has great extension she should show us spirals even if they are not required. People still love them and Karen Chen shows off her spiral. The tall girls like Polina and Maria should really exploit their lines and watch Carolina because she gets big PCs scores at age 30 that may be overscored now nonetheless she gets them. Polina T needs work on that LP. But for me her SP was just perfect. Alina is way to busy and not holding out moves that her music and costume scream for.

I love Wakaba who is so different and she exploits her speed in and out of jumps and is so exciting. Masha needs more exciting and up beat program to show her versatility. But what she does do is done well and she is right up there with the top ladies. I would hate to see Eteri have all three spots because I don’t like the total backloaded programs. Half choreography and half jumping with the arms aloft. This total way of manipulation needs to change because choreography is suffering as the teen jumpers win. I don’t know how Russia picks the team but it does seem that the judges are forced to reward what is difficult over beautiful and the ten percent bonus rule needs moderation. I hope to see Masha at the Olympics but it would be hard to decide which of Eteri brood should not go. Med is a lock even with errors like at NHK. So all those ladies fighting for three spots. I must say that ever since I read that Eteri was not letting Julia eat I wonder exactly what fuel is burning in her students and all the Russian athletes. I did not know Sotnikova had been accused of doping. We see the Russian Federation abusing these stimulant like things more than any country. I know Zhenya has very thin legs it is her build but I also wonder if these girls are given hormones to stop puberty. Evgenia fell in her LP and her ex. I think she was likely tired. I find my self wondering what sort of caloric intake she is allowed. I do not think she is unbeatable and should not be when the judges see Alina able to do all the same elements. And Polina T and Maria are really stunning and tall which is now the exception. I personally find Wakaba very different than than thenRussian girls but more exciting. Her two GP events have been so great. She is small but powerful and muscular. The judges clearly want thin and hence the eating disorders to rotate all the triples. Anyway. I don’t believe Evgenia is injured but maybe tired and if Julia was a cautionary tale maybe Evgenia is not eating enough. What I saw was mistakes from either fatigue or pressure. She is human after all. I just hope she doesn’t end up like Julia and I blame Eteri for that. I haven’t ever read of any doping with Japanese ladies and I only know of one lady- Akiko whom I adored- that developed an eating disorder. I like that the Japanese ladies usually look so healthy. I recall when Midori Ito was not eating and had a rough go.

I really must hand it to Eteri for exploiting the rules so well and winning medals but I wonder at what cost? Julia was and is so tiny like most of them. I haven’t read the Sotnikova thread about doping but I do recall how her PCS went up like crazy from -was it Europeans? that year to the Olympics. Orser and Browning agreed with me that the Olympic performance of that year was the SP of Carolina. I will never forget that Ave Maria program. For me it was majestic and I just enjoy it without thinking about the points. Anyway I really hope Evgenia can put out her best because when people win with falls and mistakes like Hanyu did and Chan in his 3 WC titles it is not satisfying for the fans.

So Evgenia seems as much a lock as Yuna but I HOPE SHE LIVES UP to the clean inspired skating of Yuna as well as the great skates Adelina did pull out in Sochi. Sadly Olympic nerves lead to splatfests and Im afraid the men may be the big splatfest with all the quad craze expected. May the ladies event be as great as 2014 and all the medalists do their best. It is so exciting to think about the GPF the Nationals in a few countries and then Olympics. May the best ON THE DAY win regardless of who they Are and where they come from. Surely Katelyn and Wakaba have a great shot at spoiling a Russian Sweep. They have wonderful programs. Anyway I see how dedicated Evgenia is and wish her an Olympic skate since she will likely get the medal ( even with errors). I’m just sorry more Japanese and Russian ladies cannot be there. Truly each country deserves 4 spots!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Evgenia is easily #1, mostly for her attitude, confidence, and mental strength. The next tier of favorites would be Anna P., Polina, Alexandra Trusova, & Alisa Fedichkina. I also root for Liza and Alena just for hanging in there even if I don't love everything about their skating. Then I really like Sofia Samodurova, Serafima, Liza Nugumanova, Anastasia Tarakanova & Ekaterina Kurakova as well.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I like a bit of everything among them.

Lenok and Zhenya - that spirit of coming back from errors
Tsurskaya and Liza Tuks - the big jumps, impeccable jump technique and correct edges especially for Turks
Leonova - the under rated one who really deserves high PE, CO, IN components, not any of Eteri's girls
Sotskova - the natural elegance and long lines
Pogo - Maria B's newly reincarnated young self

My fave though just for sheer force of personality = Ksenia Stolbova and Coach Anna Tsareva

mrrice

Record Breaker
If there are two posters here that didn't need to bother responding to this thread because everybody already knew the answer, it's you and mrrice :laugh2:

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2::cheer2::dance2:

When it comes to Maria, I'm as guilty as sin....;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
aka cupcake named by Mr Button I think. Anyone else remember a tall stunning girl with huge jumps but inconsistent- Victoria Volchkova? Wow ladies skating in Russia simply took off. Where did they find all these girls? And ho did Evgenia ever learn to do several triple toes in a row? Although Gabby has the biggest best 3 by 3 toe in the world including the men says David Pelletier. VV had big jumps. Wonder where she is now-anyone know?

mrrice

Record Breaker
aka cupcake named by Mr Button I think. Anyone else remember a tall stunning girl with huge jumps but inconsistent- Victoria Volchkova? Wow ladies skating in Russia simply took off. Where did they find all these girls? And ho did Evgenia ever learn to do several triple toes in a row? Although Gabby has the biggest best 3 by 3 toe in the world including the men says David Pelletier. VV had big jumps. Wonder where she is now-anyone know?

I definitely remember Viktoria....She was great at Worlds in 2001, especially in the SP. Here's her SP from Europeans in 2001:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGWOR5UD3yU

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I adore Princess Elena. I'm sad that the timing really hasn't worked for her, what with her hitting the probable peak of her career in a post Oly season but she has such star quality and she performs everything from the heart.

I'm also rather fond of Alina and Polina T. Watching Polina this past weekend, I found her jumping jaw droppingly stunning and the artistry is catching up. Just the way those jumps seem to hang in the air really makes me sit up and pay attention. I was also gleefully pleased that Leonova pulled two wonderful performances out of the bag, she is another skater with personality to burn and it's fantastic to see that beaming smile at the end of the programme rather than the hangdog expression of disappointment that's been so familiar for several seasons now.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Honestly I like all of them becuase they all have different "things" working for them. But I had to pick a few.
Juniors:
Kostornaya - honestly, I am mesmarized by this girl. Honestly, I am drawn to every second of her performance.
Trusova - a little firecracker

Seniors:
Medvedeva - she gives it all. And after seeing her live in Helsinki, adore her even more. She doesn't just skate elements, she is all in - technical side+artistic side+performace to the max.
Zagitova - probably even Kostornaya skates more maturely but there is something about Alina which makes me root for her. She has the looks of a champion.

And even looking at my selection, I would like to add "favourite ladies coach" - Tutberidze. What a woman!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I think she is coaching now.