2018 Russian National Championships--Ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian National Championships--Ladies

vorravorra

Record Breaker
These words don't make sense.
From the Fed's point of view there is nothing gained by giving Kostornaia a medal at Senior Nationals. They generally try to give medals to skaters they have plans for this season or the next. Last season with Zagitova she was about to go senior and she was unquestionably the top Junior lady which Kostornaia isn't. And Eteri already has two skaters most likely to medal, I doubt CSKA will be overjoyed to let her have a third. But I am not saying it's not going to happen, especially if the others don't skate well. Otherwise Kostornaia may simply be held back by PCS/GOE, it's not like these haven't been manipulated before to get the desired result.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
GO Elena!!!! Shine at the rink!!! Bring the joy of skating!!:luv17:

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
They generally try to give medals to skaters they have plans...
I take your words as disrespectful to Russian figure skating. The medals at RusNat are not scholarships or investments, skaters gain them due their current skills.

alvina9894

Final Flight
Would they give Kostornaia high enough PCS/GOE? They don't need her to medal, she's not even senior-eligible next season - a waste of top placement. We'll see, I guess.

I really hope the Russian fed wouldn't, but that is unlikely.
Especially when regarding her placement relative to Sotskova's (or Radionova's, or anyone else who will be sent to the Olympics). I'd imagine the Russian Fed wouldn't like their reputation to be negatively impacted by "placing below a junior" in the nationals.

We will know how the Fed views this after the SP - if Kostornaia performs clean and Zagitova makes minor mistakes, like they have consistently been this whole season. If the Fed thinks it is a waste of top placement, the scores of these two ladies would not be head-to-head.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I take your words as disrespectful to Russian figure skating. The medals at RusNat are not scholarships or investments, skaters gain them due their current skills.
Sure, skaters have to go out there and deliver, the Fed isn't going to skate for them. If they bomb, they are not going to get a gold medal. But, say, Samarin's PCS from last Nats - did he get them for his current skills? Or why doesn't Gubanova get the PCS she deserves? If Sotskova skates like she did at the GPF, why would they place Kostornaia over her? Juniors tend to be held back in PCS even on the international level. And Sotskova is an Olympic candidate who is coached by Buianova.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Sure, skaters have to go out there and deliver, the Fed isn't going to skate for them. If they bomb, they are not going to get a gold medal. But, say, Samarin's PCS from last Nats - did he get them for his current skills? Or why doesn't Gubanova get the PCS she deserves? If Sotskova skates like she did at the GPF, why would they place Kostornaia over her? Juniors tend to be held back in PCS even on the international level. And Sotskova is an Olympic candidate who is coached by Buianova.

Gubanova does get the PCS she deserves :)
Also, because Kostornaya was also FLAWLESS at the GPF :)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Gubanova does get the PCS she deserves :)
Also, because Kostornaya was also FLAWLESS at the GPF :)
A lot of people feel the Fed's been too stingy with Gubanova's PCS but I suppose it's up for debate.

What kind of a message does "even a first-year Junior who didn't even win the JGPF is stronger than our Olympic skater" send? There is no reason for the Fed to hold up Kostornaia at these Nats. Eteri's main concern for the Olympic season is Medvedeva and Zagitova. Even Polina who is eligible for an Olympic spot is on her own. I doubt Eteri is going to get invested in grabbing a senior medal for a first-year junior who isn't even at the top of the list. Alena can be flawless, they can give her Junior-level PCS (she was getting upper sevens to low eights at Russian Cup events), and give Maria 'GPF silver medalist that we want to send to the Olympics' PCS.
Of course, anything can happen, Sotskova may go out there and fall twice like she did at last Euros and then all bets will be off.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone know if’s ESPN is live-streaming the event? I’m off Friday and Saturday so I can watch... and the commentators are actually pretty nice!

FSLover17

On the Ice
The depth of talent in Russia is incredible! Its more competitive than a world championships :drama:. Do the results of these nationals determine who gets to go to the Olympics as a neutral athlete?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
In theory, yes.
These will determine who will be on the list that the ROC submits to the IOC.
The IOC can of course invite whoever they like... :(

vorravorra

Record Breaker
You mean Ari Zakarian who commentates with Flade?

I wonder if Telesport is going to show it. Haven't heard anything. I know they are showing the Olympics but other competitions?..
It looks like Telesport is broadcasting Nationals :2thumbs:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if’s ESPN is live-streaming the event? I’m off Friday and Saturday so I can watch... and the commentators are actually pretty nice!

Flade was asked on Twitter if she would be commentating with Ari and she said they would. I can't find Russian Nationals on ESPN's schedule though

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Flade was asked on Twitter if she would be commentating with Ari and she said they would. I can't find Russian Nationals on ESPN's schedule though

Ok thanks! Last year I watched it on their app so that’s prob where it’ll be again

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Please, please, please, a miracle for Elena to rally and pull off the performance of a lifetime to nab that third spot. I'm sure Maria is a lovely girl and she is undoubtedly talented but good grief, I find her intensely boring...