Sofia Val & Asaf Kazimov | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sofia Val & Asaf Kazimov

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
What I also like about the Spanish Fed, they are celebrating all of their skaters independent of result, location and category. "my" fed just release a short PR a couple of days after the competition and mention only some of the skater (also independatn of result, location and category) - if they release something.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
This is what I love about the Spanish Fed. They always upload copies of their skaters' videos onto their own YouTube channel
It's not Spanish Fed, it's a digital media called Hielo Español.
According to its web "Created in 2011, HIELO ESPAÑOL is the first and only media outlet specialized in figure skating on ice in Spain. Likewise, it is the only header in our country that covers in situ the major competitions of this sport (national, European, world and Olympic games)."

I'm not sure how they can survive financially, to be honest. All I know for sure is that is was created by Pedro Lamelas, he is a journalist and I think he was a figure skater (long time ago). Maybe if someone of the team read this forum, they can tell us something more...

But I agree with you, they are great and the model is replicable (with a "minor" financial problem to be solved). For spanish fans, its the only source to follow spanish figure skating in Spanish, not only the youtube channel with the videos but the twitter and facebook accounts too are very usuful to know who is going to next competitions, if there're video links available, etc.

And thanks to you, always, for all the work you put in this account and in the forum.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
What I also like about the Spanish Fed, they are celebrating all of their skaters independent of result, location and category
As the previous post said, it's not the Spanish Fed, but yes, I agree it's important to celebrate all the skaters and promote skaters and fans if we want this sport to grow...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's not Spanish Fed, it's a digital media called Hielo Español.
According to its web "Created in 2011, HIELO ESPAÑOL is the first and only media outlet specialized in figure skating on ice in Spain. Likewise, it is the only header in our country that covers in situ the major competitions of this sport (national, European, world and Olympic games)."

I'm not sure how they can survive financially, to be honest. All I know for sure is that is was created by Pedro Lamelas, he is a journalist and I think he was a figure skater (long time ago). Maybe if someone of the team read this forum, they can tell us something more...

But I agree with you, they are great and the model is replicable (with a "minor" financial problem to be solved). For spanish fans, its the only source to follow spanish figure skating in Spanish, not only the youtube channel with the videos but the twitter and facebook accounts too are very usuful to know who is going to next competitions, if there're video links available, etc.

Wow. I always thought that Hielo Español was run by the Fed. Now that I find out that it is actually an independent enterprise, that makes what they do even more impressive!

:bow: :clap: :points:

Unfortunately, so many things boil down to money. I hope they are able to keep going long-term. Given how much they do to promote the sport, it would be great if the Fed could help fund them. But, I don't suppose they are rolling in money either, with wintersports not being mainstream in Spain.

And thanks to you, always, for all the work you put in this account and in the forum.

Awww, thank you. I try my best, but I am finding it hard to keep up with everything. Especially with the way the motorsport championships I follow are so back-loaded this year (even more so than Zagitova's "Don Quixote" programme!). I am getting so far behind in everything.

I only got to watch Sofía and Asaf's programmes from the Ondrej Nepela Memorial today, and I hope to watch their programmes from Budapest tomorrow. Get caught up before they are in action again on Friday.

Although I liked Sofía when she was a Singles skater, the reason I came to be looking after her was because I had adopted both of her former partners when they were Singles skaters. And I have to admit, I was in two minds about taking on this new partnership. Apart from anything else, I knew nothing about Asaf. But now that I have seen them, I am so glad I did take them on. They are so good! And they will only get better as they get more experienced with each other.

You've got a couple of little diamonds here. And I so hope they stay together for the long haul because, if they do, the future will look very rosy for Spanish Ice Dance.

CaroLiza_fan

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I follow Asaf already since he was skating in Munich / Germany. And I had the impression he was treated like a placeholder, more talented than many others but without lobby. And also his switch to Spain looked like Asaf only was sent to Spain in exchange of Olivia Smart. Everybody was expecting she will compete with Tim for Germany. At the End Spain has now two strong Senior Dance Pairs and Germany only one on a higher international level (I guess Grimm/Savitskiy will stay in Juniors one more year). I was so happy for Asaf that he had the chance to go to the worlds last year, this would never happen if he would have steyed in Germany. Even if there is now the fed-internal competition with Smart/Dieck I think Sofia and Asaf have the potential to close the gap.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I follow Asaf already since he was skating in Munich / Germany. And I had the impression he was treated like a placeholder, more talented than many others but without lobby.

It is so unfortunate when that happens. But, thankfully, the Spanish Fed does seem to value Sofía and Asaf.

And also his switch to Spain looked like Asaf only was sent to Spain in exchange of Olivia Smart. Everybody was expecting she will compete with Tim for Germany. At the End Spain has now two strong Senior Dance Pairs and Germany only one on a higher international level (I guess Grimm/Savitskiy will stay in Juniors one more year).

I was one of those people. Having a direct swap of Asaf for Olivia made so much sense. And given all the ties that the Dieck family have with the German Fed, I never for one moment thought he would switch countries. But, he did. I feel sorry for you guys, because Olivia and Tim could have given Jen and Ben some proper competition (no offence to the other Senior partnerships in Germany, but they are not at the same level as Jen and Ben), and the two partnerships could have pushed each other on by battling over slots.

I have to disagree with you, though. I do think Darya and Michail will move up to Seniors next season. Because they are so good, they are not getting enough of a challenge any more by staying in Juniors. And they could lose motivation. But moving to Seniors soon would provide them with a new challenge. And provide Jen and Ben with a new challenge too!

I was so happy for Asaf that he had the chance to go to the worlds last year, this would never happen if he would have steyed in Germany. Even if there is now the fed-internal competition with Smart/Dieck I think Sofia and Asaf have the potential to close the gap.

I have said many times since I joined this forum, a country needs to have at least two skaters / partnerships of a similar level fighting it out over slots, because it pushes them to improve. Without copetition at home, they could become complacent, which would harm them when they come to the international competitions.

Given their long experience, I am sure Olivia and Tim were expecting to come in and rule the roost in Spain for at least a few years. But given how good Sofía and Asaf are already, I can see them challenging Olivia and Tim a lot sooner than the older partnership, or anybody else, expected. Like, this season!

Oh, how I am looking forward to seeing how things materialise over the next couple of months.

CaroLiza_fan

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
A lot of interesting things in both your posts!

I don´t know the reason behind the Feds decisions about Olivia&Tim, I thought too that they were going to skate for Germany, but I can see that, at Worlds, it was not so clear the real potencial in the short term of Sofia&Asaf (they didn´t make the final), as well as the potential of Sara&Kirill&Ksenia's Icedance School in Madrid. Now it's cristal clear, they are good.

It's difficult to know how this will evolve, both teams are still new and a ten points gap is not that big, so here we are again with the same old drama, Sara and Adrián behind the scenes of two competitive teams fighting for a single spot at Europeans and Worlds... I guess we are begining season three of spanish icedance soap opera :popcorn:Lets have fun!!!

But this is Sofia&Asaf thread and I want to comment about their programs. I have to admit that at Nepela's, they didn´t engage me that much but at Budapest I began to like them.

The RD is cool, love the TOP GUN costumes, it seems that they are begining to have fun with it and I'm begining to like it.
I like the FD too, it's a pity that we can´t listen to all the music; I couldn´t help but notice that the program it is heavely inspirated in Victoria/Nikita FDs. There's nothing wrong with that in my book, they are young and they need to develop their own style, it's ok to look for inspiration wherever you can find it.

Looking forward to see those programs and the team grow.

You've got a couple of little diamonds here
Many of us have an inclination to support our own nationals, but not only. I tend to share other countries's skaters, I mean, Papadakis&Ciceron are french, bien sûr, but as a fan, they are mine too... So, as long as you are rooting for Sofia&Asaf, I think you can say We've got a couple of little diamonds here. :cheer:I have no problem sharing :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A lot of interesting things in both your posts!

I don´t know the reason behind the Feds decisions about Olivia&Tim, I thought too that they were going to skate for Germany, but I can see that, at Worlds, it was not so clear the real potencial in the short term of Sofia&Asaf (they didn´t make the final), as well as the potential of Sara&Kirill&Ksenia's Icedance School in Madrid. Now it's cristal clear, they are good.

It's difficult to know how this will evolve, both teams are still new and a ten points gap is not that big, so here we are again with the same old drama, Sara and Adrián behind the scenes of two competitive teams fighting for a single spot at Europeans and Worlds... I guess we are begining season three of spanish icedance soap opera :popcorn:Lets have fun!!!

You know, when I was writing my previous comment, I actually checked to see how many spots Spain had at Europeans and Worlds, because I was worried that you were going to end up in the same position with these two partnerships as you did with the previous two partnerships. Two good partnerships fighting over one slot. And my fears were confirmed - 1 slot at each.

But, it didn't twig with me that it was a continuation of the Sara v Adrià battle! :palmf:

You know, it still makes me sad how things turned out between them. I loved them as a partnership.

But this is Sofia&Asaf thread and I want to comment about their programs. I have to admit that at Nepela's, they didn´t engage me that much but at Budapest I began to like them.

Sorry. We did kinda go off topic. But, since I run the thread, I think I'll forgive us! :p :laugh:

Now that I have watched both sets of programmes, I understand what you mean. For me, they were good in the Nepela, but they were absolutely sensational in Budapest.

The RD is cool, love the TOP GUN costumes, it seems that they are begining to have fun with it and I'm begining to like it.

Although I haven't seen any of the Top Gun films, I have always loved the songs "Take My Breath Away" and "Dangerzone" (I didn't even know they were from that film until Sofía and Asaf announced what they would be using music from it, and I looked up the soundtrack to see what was on it). And I picked out "Take My Breath Away" as being a good song to skate to when the 80's theme was announced.

I like the FD too, it's a pity that we can´t listen to all the music;

I can't understand this one. As you say, the Budapest video doesn't have the instrumental at the start. Yet the Ondrej Nepela Memorial video has all of the music. It's strange, because both videos are on the same YouTube channel! So, you would have thought that both videos would have been treated the same way. Maybe it is because of the sound quality being different. But, in that case, you would have thought that it would be the clearer one that would get zapped. Yet it was the slightly fuzzy one that did.

I just don't know!

I couldn´t help but notice that the program it is heavely inspirated in Victoria/Nikita FDs. There's nothing wrong with that in my book, they are young and they need to develop their own style, it's ok to look for inspiration wherever you can find it.

I hadn't realised it until you said it, but you are so right! They are definitely getting their inspiration from Sinitsina / Katsalapov. Right down to Sofía wearing a nightie just like Viktoria always did. (Not that I am complaining! They both look stunning in them! :love: ) Thankfully Asaf is better at Twizzles than Nikita was...

Looking forward to see those programs and the team grow.

Agreed! :biggrin:

Many of us have an inclination to support our own nationals, but not only. I tend to share other countries's skaters, I mean, Papadakis&Ciceron are french, bien sûr, but as a fan, they are mine too... So, as long as you are rooting for Sofia&Asaf, I think you can say We've got a couple of little diamonds here. :cheer:I have no problem sharing :biggrin:

Awwww! Thank you! :ghug:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The second part of Sofía and Asaf's back-to-back events starts today with the Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d'Azur.

The Senior Short Dance is due to start at 18:45:00 CEST (16:45:00 GMT / 17:45:00 BST / 20:45:00 MSK). So 10 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 3rd partnership to start. So, third and middle partnership in Group 1 (and third and middle partnership of the segment).

The Group 1 Warm-Up is due to start at 18:45:00 CEST (16:45:00 GMT / 17:45:00 BST / 20:45:00 MSK). So 10 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 19:03:10 CEST (17:03:10 GMT / 18:03:10 BST / 21:03:10 MSK). So 10h 18m from now.

But, those times may change if somebody that is due on before them withdraws.

More information in the event thread:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/95781

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
SOFÍA AND ASAF WON THE SHORT DANCE!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d'Azur Senior Short Dance: Results; Protocols

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB38yW3fEWI

Sofía and Asaf finished 1st out of 4 in the Short Dance, with a score of 60.34.

Unfortunately, I was not able to watch LIVE. And with there being so much happening the past few days, I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet. But, I will edit in my thoughts on teh performance once I do.

Sofía and Asaf are currently 2.21 points ahead of 2nd position, Paulina RAMANAUSKAITĖ / Deividas KIZALA (LTU), and 15.59 points ahead of 3rd position, XIAO Zixi / HE Linghao (CHN).

Being realistic, this is between Sofía / Asaf and Paulina / Deividas for the win. And itt could go either way. So if Sofía and Asaf wante their first 🥇 Gold Medal rather than their first 🥈 Silver Medal, they will need to make sure that they put in a good skate.

But, having seen their programme, I know it is good enough. They just have to avoid mistakes and unnecessary deductions.

:cheer: WELL DONE!!! :cheer:

The Free Dance is due to start at 15:15:00 CEST (13:15:00 GMT / 14:15:00 BST / 16:15:00 MSK). So 7 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 4th partnership to start. So, fourth and last partnership in Group 1 (and fourth and last partnership of the segment).

The Group 1 Warm-Up is due to start at 15:15:00 CEST (13:15:00 GMT / 14:15:00 BST / 16:15:00 MSK). So 7 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 15:43:00 CEST (13:43:00 GMT / 14:43:00 BST / 16:43:00 MSK). So 7h 28m from now.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/95781/

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
SOFÍA AND ASAF WON THE FREE DANCE AND THE 🥇 GOLD MEDAL!!!

Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d'Azur Senior Free Dance: Results; Protocols
Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d'Azur Senior Ice Dance: Results

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udSwXYYFoRM

Sofía and Asaf finished 1st out of 4 in the FD, with a score of 95.55. This meant that they remained in 1st position overall, with a score of 155.89.

Unfortunately, I was not able to watch LIVE. However, I have now watched Hielo Español's video, and have written a comment along the lines of what I would have wrote if I had been watching LIVE:

Well, we did have music on the video this time

It looked like Asaf had to put Sofía down near the end of the combination lift, and then lifted her up again.

But, other than that, it looked fine to me.

However, I have to be honest, a lot of the time the camera wasn't zoomed in far enough to see in detail what they were doing. So, I may have missed mistakes.

They seemed happy when they finished.

Kirill with them this week. And his outfit is nearly identical to Asaf's! :laugh:

It was very noticable that they were taking measures to make sure that nobody could lip-read what was being said. For example, Sofía was covering her mouth with her hand, while Kirill was whispering in Sofía's ear. Meanwhile Asaf was just smiling away and not talking!

Sofía didn't look too happy with their score when it came up. But the boys were delighted.

They win with an overall score of 155.89. And they also get a new ISU Season's Best score for the Free.

CaroLiza_fan

Looking at the Protocols, there wasn't a single minus in there. And they actually got the highest GOE of the whole programme (+1.68) for the lift I was talking about, the Curve Lift into a Rotational Lift. So putting her down mustn't have been treated as a mistake. Although, watching it again, I'm not entirely sure any more that her blade did actually touch the ice at the moment I am talking about. It was all too fast. But, I just watched it a third time at a slowed down speed, and it definitely touched the ice.

So, I don't know. All I know is that everything else looked good. And everything went down well with the Judges and Technical Panel.

Well, one of the Judges did call them for a violation of choreographic restrictions. But, since none of the other Judges did, there was not the majority required for them to be given a point in deductions.

Sofía and Asaf finished the Free Dance 6.97 points ahead of 2nd position, XIAO Zixi / HE Linghao (CHN), and 11.30 points ahead of 3rd position, Paulina RAMANAUSKAITĖ / Deividas KIZALA (LTU).

Overall, Sofía and Asaf finished 13.51 points ahead of 2nd position, Ramanauskaitė / Kizalai, and 22.56 points ahead of 3rd position, Xiao / He.

I always got the impression that Sofía is the sort of person that wants to do the best possible they possibly can every time, and isn't happy when they do not. Although they won both segments, and achieved their first overall 🥇 Gold Medal, all their scores in Nice were significantly lower than they achieved in Budapest a week earlier. And I think this is why Sofía was not that thrilled when the results came up. Even though it was good enough to win by a massive margin.

But, winning by a massive margin is a great achievement. And it should be celebrated.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's been a while, but Sofía and Asaf are back in action today at the Bosphorus Cup in Istanbul, Turkey.

The Senior Short Dance is due to start at 15:19:50 TRT (12:19:50 GMT / 13:19:50 CET / 15:19:50 MSK). So 7 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 13th partnership to start. So, third and middle partnership in Group 3 (and third partnershipafter the resurfacing).

The Group 3 Warm-Up is due to start at 16:58:00 TRT (13:58:00 GMT / 14:58:00 CET / 16:58:00 MSK). So 11h 39m from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 17:11:20 TRT (14:11:20 GMT / 15:11:20 CET / 17:11:20 MSK). So 11h 52m from now.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/95820

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Bosphorus Cup Senior Short Dance: Results; Protocols

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAW-VlwVWLQ

Sofía and Asaf finished 3rd out of 20 in the Short Dance, with a score of 69.99.

Here is what I wrote in the competition thread about the Warm-Up:

I missed most of the Warm-Up because I was writing a post in another thread, and lost track of time! So, I don't know how Sofía and Asaf got on. But, with how far the camera is zoomed in, I doubt I would have seen much anyway.

But, now is what matters.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST SOFÍA AND ASAF!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

And here is what I wrote about their programme:

Now I understand the comment earlier about it being strange having the camera on the opposite side of the arena to the Judges. Because everything Sofía and Asaf was doing was directed towards the Judges. So, most of the time we were looking at the backs of their heads.

There was one point early on when I think they momentarily went out of sync.

But, that is the only thing I noticed that could be an issue. Everything else looked great!

Unfortunately, the scores came through very quickly or a change. So, they only arrived in the results area just after the scores were announced. Before the camera let, Sofía managed to sit down and give us a wave. But, Asaf was only coming into shot. So, we didn't really get to see how they felt about their performance.

I hope they were happy. They went into 2nd.

:cheer: WELL DONE SOFÍA AND ASAF!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Looking at the Protocols, there was only one negative number on the whole table. That was a -1 from Judge 5 for the second element, the Midline Step Sequence in Hold. For that matter, there were only two 0's and two -1's. The Judges were overwhelmingly giving out +2's and +3's. And the GOE's were impressive too, ranging from +1.12 to +3.00.

Sofía and Asaf are currently 3.19 points behind 2nd position, Gina ZEHNDER / Beda Leon SIEBER (CHE), and 4.08 points ahead of 4th position, Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO (HUN).

Ignateva / Szemko are at the head of a group of 4 partnerships covered by 61.38 points stretching down to Hanna JAKUCS / Alessio GALLI (NED) in 9th position, 8.61 points behind Sofía and Asaf.

With the way the gaps are, Sofía and Asaf are odds-on favourites to finish third. If they have a good Free Skate they have a chance of pinching second position, but they would need Zehnder / Sieber to make mistakes as well. Sofíá and Asaf do need to be careful not to make mistakes themselves, because they really do not want to risk being eaten up by the group behind.

So, here's to a good Free Skate!

The Free Dance is due to start at 17:19:10 TRT (14:19:10 GMT / 15:19:10 CET / 17:19:10 MSK). So 8 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 18th partnership to start. So, third and middle partnership in Group 4.

The Group 4 Warm-Up is due to start at 19:48:10 TRT (16:48:10 GMT / 17:48:10 CET / 19:48:10 MSK). So 10h 29m from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 20:09:20 TRT (17:09:20 GMT / 18:09:20 CET / 20:09:20 MSK). So 10h 50m from now.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/95820

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Bosphorus Cup Senior Free Dance: Results; Protocols
Bosphorus Cup Senior Ice Dance: Results

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXTf7PVk_M

Sofía and Asaf finished 3rd out of 20 in the FD, with a score of 106.37. This meant that they remained in 3rd position overall, with a score of 176.36.

I think Sofía and Asaf are the ones that are in the blue jackets. It's a strange colour for a Spanish team to be wearing, but that does look like the colour of Sofía's dress sticking out from under the girl's jacket. (They are too far away to see the skaters clearly).

Yeah, it was them. Seeing them again without the jackets confirmed it.

The camera isn't as far zoomed in during their Warm-Up today compared to yesterday, so we actually got to see quite a bit of action.

Suffice to say, everything they did looked good! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Here is what I wrote about their programme:

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

I didn't spot any issues at all.

Well, there was one point where I thought they were going a bit too fast for how close they were to the boards below the camera. But that may just have been the camera angle making them look closer to the boards than they were.

Kirill was with the other partnership earlier, so I assume he will be with Sofía and Asaf too.

Yep. And he's got the blue jackets with him.

They all look really happy. And so they should be.

New leaders in both Free and overall.

Boys but that is close in the Free. Just 0.06 ahead of Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO (HUN)! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

And here is what I wrote about the Podium Ceremony:

Didn't get commenting earlier when I watched it, but during the Podium Ceremonies there was a funny moment involving my kids.

Sofía and Asaf were announced, and they skated out into the middle of the ice holding hands, and did a bow to the audience, and then went over towards the podium.

When they reached the carpet, Asaf let Sofía go first and she went and climbed up onto the 3rd position step. And as Asaf was climbing onto the 3rd position step, Sofía climbed onto the top step. And Asaf said something to her (probably something along the lines of "Hey, where do you think you're going?!"), and she stopped, stepped down again and near died of embarrassment!

I admit, as a guy in his late 30's, I find it hard to relate to girls of Sofía's age. But, this slip up really endeared her to me. It's the sort of thing that any of us could do by accident.

Or maybe she was practicing for Nationals... ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Looking at the Protocols is amazing. All but three of the marks given by the Judges were +2 or +3. They got three +1's from Judge 5, Yury KLIUSHNIKOV (representing Azerbaijan since 2018, but who previously represented his native Ukraine), who gave Sofía and Asaf lower marks than the other Judges for all their elements. He was also doubling up as the Referee.

There was one issue: they got a 1 point deduction for an extended lift on the third element, the Curve Lift into the Rotational Lift. It got +1 from Judge 5 (quelle surprise!); +2 from Judge 4; and +3 from the remaining three Judges. Ironically, this was the element that got the highest GOE, at +2.56. And because it had the highest Base Value by miles at 10.90, it was the highest scoring element of the programme.

Sofía and Asaf finished the Free Dance 6.92 points behind 2nd position, Gina ZEHNDER / Beda Leon SIEBER (CHE), and 0.06 points ahead of 4th position, Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO (HUN). Sofía and Asaf were at the head of a group of 3 partnerships covered by 0.17 points, which was completed by Paulina RAMANAUSKAITĖ / Deividas KIZALA (LTU) in 5th position.

Overall, Sofía and Asaf finished 10.11 points behind 2nd position, Zehnder / Sieber, and 4.14 points ahead of 4th position, Ignateva / Szemko.

It is unfortunate that hey got the deduction, but it didn't matter in the end. Third position was their destiny. But, what does matter is that they achieved their absolute PB scores in the Short, the Free, and overall!!!

They have certainly thrown down the gauntlet to Olivia and Tim before Nationals. Looking at the absolute PB's for each partnership, there is not much in it:

Ice Dance
SD Date
Competition
SD Score
FD Date
Competition
FD Score
Event Dates
Competition
Total Score
Olivia SMART / Tim DIECK07 Oct. 2023Finlandia Trophy
22 Oct. 2023Skate America
20–22 Oct. 2023Skate America
Sofía VAL / Asaf KAZIMOV01 Dec. 2023Bosphorus Cup
02 Dec. 2023Bosphorus Cup
27 Nov. – 03 Dec. 2023Bosphorus Cup
Difference

And here are their score progressions in graph form:

Short Dance: https://skatingscores.com/chart/?qu...8-unit_name=&form-8-unit_color=&submit=Submit
Free Dance: https://skatingscores.com/chart/?qu...8-unit_name=&form-8-unit_color=&submit=Submit
Overall: https://skatingscores.com/chart/?qu...8-unit_name=&form-8-unit_color=&submit=Submit

Oh, I can't wait until Nationals in a couple of weeks. If they keep going the way they are, Sofía and Asaf could well cause an upset.

CaroLiza_fan

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Bosphorus Cup Senior Free Dance: Results; Protocols
Bosphorus Cup Senior Ice Dance: Results

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXTf7PVk_M

Sofía and Asaf finished 3rd out of 20 in the FD, with a score of 106.37. This meant that they remained in 3rd position overall, with a score of 176.36.

I think Sofía and Asaf are the ones that are in the blue jackets. It's a strange colour for a Spanish team to be wearing, but that does look like the colour of Sofía's dress sticking out from under the girl's jacket. (They are too far away to see the skaters clearly).
Yeah, it was them. Seeing them again without the jackets confirmed it.
The camera isn't as far zoomed in during their Warm-Up today compared to yesterday, so we actually got to see quite a bit of action.
Suffice to say, everything they did looked good! :biggrin:
CaroLiza_fan

Here is what I wrote about their programme:

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
I didn't spot any issues at all.
Well, there was one point where I thought they were going a bit too fast for how close they were to the boards below the camera. But that may just have been the camera angle making them look closer to the boards than they were.
Kirill was with the other partnership earlier, so I assume he will be with Sofía and Asaf too.
Yep. And he's got the blue jackets with him.
They all look really happy. And so they should be.
New leaders in both Free and overall.
Boys but that is close in the Free. Just 0.06 ahead of Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO (HUN)! :drama:
CaroLiza_fan

And here is what I wrote about the Podium Ceremony:

Didn't get commenting earlier when I watched it, but during the Podium Ceremonies there was a funny moment involving my kids.
Sofía and Asaf were announced, and they skated out into the middle of the ice holding hands, and did a bow to the audience, and then went over towards the podium.
When they reached the carpet, Asaf let Sofía go first and she went and climbed up onto the 3rd position step. And as Asaf was climbing onto the 3rd position step, Sofía climbed onto the top step. And Asaf said something to her (probably something along the lines of "Hey, where do you think you're going?!"), and she stopped, stepped down again and near died of embarrassment!
I admit, as a guy in his late 30's, I find it hard to relate to girls of Sofía's age. But, this slip up really endeared her to me. It's the sort of thing that any of us could do by accident.
Or maybe she was practicing for Nationals... ;) :biggrin:
CaroLiza_fan

Looking at the Protocols is amazing. All but three of the marks given by the Judges were +2 or +3. They got three +1's from Judge 5, Yury KLIUSHNIKOV (representing Azerbaijan since 2018, but who previously represented his native Ukraine), who gave Sofía and Asaf lower marks than the other Judges for all their elements. He was also doubling up as the Referee.

There was one issue: they got a 1 point deduction for an extended lift on the third element, the Curve Lift into the Rotational Lift. It got +1 from Judge 5 (quelle surprise!); +2 from Judge 4; and +3 from the remaining three Judges. Ironically, this was the element that got the highest GOE, at +2.56. And because it had the highest Base Value by miles at 10.90, it was the highest scoring element of the programme.

Sofía and Asaf finished the Free Dance 6.92 points behind 2nd position, Gina ZEHNDER / Beda Leon SIEBER (CHE), and 0.06 points ahead of 4th position, Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO (HUN). Sofía and Asaf were at the head of a group of 3 partnerships covered by 0.17 points, which was completed by Paulina RAMANAUSKAITĖ / Deividas KIZALA (LTU) in 5th position.

Overall, Sofía and Asaf finished 10.11 points behind 2nd position, Zehnder / Sieber, and 4.14 points ahead of 4th position, Ignateva / Szemko.

It is unfortunate that hey got the deduction, but it didn't matter in the end. Third position was their destiny. But, what does matter is that they achieved their absolute PB scores in the Short, the Free, and overall!!!

They have certainly thrown down the gauntlet to Olivia and Tim before Nationals. Looking at the absolute PB's for each partnership, there is not much in it:

Ice Dance
SD Date
Competition
SD Score
FD Date
Competition
FD Score
Event Dates
Competition
Total Score
Olivia SMART / Tim DIECK07 Oct. 2023Finlandia Trophy
22 Oct. 2023Skate America
20–22 Oct. 2023Skate America
Sofía VAL / Asaf KAZIMOV01 Dec. 2023Bosphorus Cup
02 Dec. 2023Bosphorus Cup
27 Nov. – 03 Dec. 2023Bosphorus Cup
Difference

Oh, I can't wait until Nationals in a couple of weeks. Sofía and Asaf could well cause an upset.

CaroLiza_fan
The Spanish nationals became even more interesting. The Spanish fed published the rules for nominiaton during this and the two next seasons until the Olympics. And the only criterium is the technical value only - I made a rough calculation for this season and when I am not wrong Val/Kazimov is leading

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The time has arrived. Sofía and Asaf are back in action today at the Spanish Championships in Logroño, La Rioja.

The Senior Short Dance is due to start at 17:07:00 CET (16:07:00 GMT / 19:07:00 MSK). So 9 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 3rd partnership to start. So, third and last partnership in Group 1 (and last partnership to go in the segment).

The Group 1 Warm-Up is due to start at 17:07:00 CET (16:07:00 GMT / 19:07:00 MSK). So 9 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 17:22:00 CET (16:22:00 GMT / 19:22:00 MSK). So 9h 15m from now.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/97155

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Spanish Championships Senior Short Dance: Results; Protocols

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-WJ8a5xa4

Sofía and Asaf finished 2nd out of 3 in the Short Dance, with a score of 70.71.

Here is what I wrote in the competition thread as they were being introduced:

Didn't get to see Olivia and Tim with and "e" because I was doing something during the 4 Nationals resurfacing, and it took longer than I expected. But I'll watch them back later.

But, I'm here now for my kids!

:cheer: ALL THE BEST SOFÍA AND ASAF!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

And here is what I wrote about their programme:

My goodness, that was a cheer and a half when they were introduced!

And the cheers during the programme and afterwards. They've definitely got the support of the audience.

That was absolutely brilliant. I didn't se any issues.

They looked very happy when they finished. Sofía was even blowing kisses to the crowd!

Both Sara and Kirill with them.

Sara was on the edge of her seat when the scores were being announced!

They go into 2nd position, 2.33 points behind Olivia and Tim.

CaroLiza_fan

As it turned out, only watching Sofía and Asaf was a major mistake. I didn't realise that there was going to be a big gap in the action at 4 Nationals. So, I could easily have watched all of the Spanish Senior Free Dance, and then done the other stuff afterwards. Also, because the links to each day's stream were remaining on the home page, I didn't realise that the Spanish Championship streams were not getting archived. And no videos have been uploaded to YouTube yet.

So, I made a mess of things.

Looking at the Protocols, it is very interesting to see the two programmes on the same page, and be able to compare them. Sofía and Asaf didn't have any negative numbers beside any of their elements, whereas Olivia and Tim had GOE of -0.56; and -1 from four of the Judges next to their Twizzles. (Incidentally, Judge 1 gave Olivia and Tim's Twizzles +3, but she was marking everything much higher than the other Judges for everybody).

The most intersting thing is that when you add it all together, Sofía and Asaf's programme had the higher Base Value by 2.99 points. And, although their total GOE was 1.10 points lower, they still ended up with a TES that was 1.89 points higher. That said, generally speaking, the Judges marks were generally lower than for Olivia and Tim. And the PCS was a whole 4.22 points lower than Olivia and Tim.

Of course, I haven't seen Olivia and Tim's programme yet. But, I can't understand this.

Sofía and Asaf are currently 2.33 points behind 1st position, Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECK (CAT), and 14.60 points ahead of 3rd position, Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZ (MAD).

I'm going to hold my tongue and not say what I am thinking. All I will say is that Sofía and Asaf need to just go out there, and do the best that they can in the Free Dance.

The Free Dance is due to start at 12:08:00 CET (11:08:00 GMT / 14:08:00 MSK). So 4 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 2nd partnership to start. So, second and middle partnership in Group 1.

The Group 1 Warm-Up is due to start at 12:08:00 CET (11:08:00 GMT / 14:08:00 MSK). So 4 hours from now.

And that is as much as I can tell you, because the Time Schedule PDF for the Senior FD isn't working. (The Time Schedules for other competitions on the bill are working, though).

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/97155

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Spanish Nationals are finished and you can find here all the info you want to know about Spanish Ice Dance. The streaming is decent this year but I have no idea if access is possible from outside Spain. You tell me...

Video of Rythm Dance senior competition. It begins at 00:50

Results and PDFs are accessible in FEDH's web, but here you have a summary:

Pl.Qual.NameClubNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Q​
Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECKFCB/FCBCAT
73.04​
39.12​
33.92​
8.50​
8.58​
8.42​
0.00​
#2​
2​
Q​
Sofía VAL / Asaf KazimovSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
70.71​
41.01​
29.70​
7.42​
7.58​
7.33​
0.00​
#3​
3​
Q​
Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
56.11​
32.95​
23.16​
5.92​
5.83​
5.67​
0.00​
#1​

Video of Free Dance Senior competition. It begins at 01:20. And here is the summary

Pl.NameClubNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECKFCB/FCBCAT
111.94​
62.10​
49.84​
8.42​
8.25​
8.25​
0.00​
#3​
2​
Sofía VAL / Asaf KazimovSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
108.08​
62.74​
45.34​
7.67​
7.58​
7.42​
0.00​
#2​
3​
Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
82.35​
46.17​
36.18​
6.17​
5.92​
6.00​
0.00​
#1​

Total scores:

1 - 184,98 - Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECK
2 - 178,79 - Sofía VAL / Asaf Kazimov
3 - 138,46 - Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZ

I'm so happy!:jump:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Spanish Nationals are finished and you can find here all the info you want to know about Spanish Ice Dance. The streaming is decent this year but I have no idea if access is possible from outside Spain. You tell me...

Yep, we were able to watch it. I was concentrating on 4 Nationals on Friday and Saturday, and only dipped into Spain for skaters I specifically wanted to see (i.e. the Senior Ice Dancers, and Janire Idiakez). But I spent all day yesterday watching the Spanish Championships.

Unfortunately, the Entries / Results page hasn't been working since not long after skating started yesterday morning. So, that is why I hadn't done my Free Dance report for this thread yet. But, now that you have copied the scores in here, I will be able to do it tomorrow morning! :biggrin:

Thank you!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Unfortunately, the Entries / Results page hasn't been working since not long after skating started yesterday morning. So, that is why I hadn't done my Free Dance report for this thread yet. But, now that you have copied the scores in here, I will be able to do it tomorrow morning! :biggrin:
I'm waiting for it!

Reactions: bgg