2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

Sabsi

On the Ice
Sorry for double posting, but I've just seen that Soyoun amd Dabin on the entry list for Alpen Trophy, and I am thoroughly confused here. Why would Dabin withdraw from NHK and then do a challenger??????

Dabin aside, I'm glad that we get to see Soyoun before Nationals, hope she's in form.
Very excited to see Soyoun. Does anybody know her programs?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure Yuna announced her return during the summer - which wouldn't have disqualified her from GP slots (?) but I could be wrong. It was then that she had to do team B events to get points
Even if she had missed the initial placement, I just checked Wiki and there were 6 spot withdrawals in ladies - I'm pretty sure her lack of invitation by that point was purposeful.

From checking Wikipedia, she announced her intention to compete on July 2nd and the initial GP entry list came out May 21st. So she wouldn't have been selected. And I don't know if the rule was the same then, but my understanding is that you aren't eligible for replacements if your fed doesn't enter you for the initial selection.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
Kyu teamed up with Maxime deschamps! They will represent Korea starting next season. Go Kyu! Go Max!:yahoo:
Her Mother's tweet

translation;
Maxime Deschamps and Kyueun Kim
We're planning to make a public announcement later, and I will make another copy for the support on their road to Beijing!
We need your help to maintain the Korean Pair skating field!

Her mother says that they would have competed in worlds 2019 if the Korean fed has accepted them to get the minimum tes after the nationals, but since the Korean fed is now lying under the audit of the state, they couldn't get some exceptional permission to do it.
So they decided to register as Korean-athletes on May 2019, after Maxime gets some permission from the Canadian fed for competing as Team Korea.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Kyu teamed up with Maxime deschamps! They will represent Korea starting next season. Go Kyu! Go Max!:yahoo:

Bless Kyueun on finding a partner that'll come to Korea (and him deciding to come), if Min/Eaton also works out we'll have representatives for all four disciplines :hap10:

Mdk0144

On the Ice
Bless Kyueun on finding a partner that'll come to Korea (and him deciding to come), if Min/Eaton also works out we'll have representatives for all four disciplines :hap10:

Sadly, her mother says that they aren't getting any financial support from the Korean fedration bcz they need to have the same nationality when they attend to get any support from the fed. It's ridiculous.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Sadly, they aren't getting any financial support from the Korean fedration bcz they need to have the same nationality when they attend to get any support from the fed. It's ridiculous.

It's KSU, what do you expect :sarcasm: Here in Korea, we say the S in KSU stands for 'sh**' (it's not the same in Korean, but to translate it into English).

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Is this a way to get around censors on an American website? I might bookmark it, if so.

It's more of a Korean wordplay thing (s_parks explained it already, but to elaborate: KSU in Korean is 빙상연맹 with 빙상 being Skating and 연맹 being Union. The word for 'ret*rd' is 병신, and since KSU are utter idiots we say 빙신 (sounds similar to 병신) instead of 빙상.), so unless you know Korean I don't think it'll be of use.

leoleo

Medalist
@Ichatdelune do you know what competition is taking place in Korea today? i saw that JewelSkatersCross had posted many fancams.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
@Ichatdelune do you know what competition is taking place in Korea today? i saw that JewelSkatersCross had posted many fancams.

It's called the Presidential Ranking Cup, it's sorta like regionals. Only instead of districts you compete by age group.

s_parks

Record Breaker
It's called the Presidential Ranking Cup, it's sorta like regionals. Only instead of districts you compete by age group.

Well, they do have competitons by district- I believe the seoul one has been just going on. And they also have one in other cities/areas. Then they compete in age groups w/in that competition...

leoleo

Medalist
lol there's a lot of similar looking dresses, this one is nothing. I believe there was one time I saw a girl with pretty much the exact same dress as Cohen's yellow and black dress.

i think it's cute when younger skaters make some kind of tribute to older skaters (although it's obviously the coaching team behind it). You see the impact that some iconic skaters have made in the sport.