Returning to Skating (Off-Ice Training/Goals | Golden Skate

Returning to Skating (Off-Ice Training/Goals

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Hello, I would like some advice about returning to figure skating as an adult

[deleted personal information]

What would be some good exercises for training?

Also, what is realistic in terms of competing in adult competitions? Do you think I could eventually do all the single jumps? Maybe a double or two, or some combinations? What about spinning? I can get in a sit-spin position easily if I hold onto something, but I'm sure there's a big difference between that and actually doing it on the ice.

Thank you!

jf12

Final Flight
Yes, you can definitely compete at any level, and it sounds like you already have a good level of fitness. I would say to work on core strength especially.

The thing about getting axel or doubles as an adult is that, unless you’re naturally talented at jumping, which it doesn’t seem that you are, since you only got a single sal skating for that long as as a kid (99% of people aren’t naturals), it requires spending a lot of time and money on private lessons in order to get it. Not saying you physically couldn’t do it, but just something to think about, a lot of adult skaters who are also in great shape joke about spending 10k-20k over a period of a few years just to get that one jump.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Yes, you can definitely compete at any level, and it sounds like you already have a good level of fitness. I would say to work on core strength especially.

Thank you! That's good to know. I actually worked on core strength a lot recently, so I already know a lot of exercises.

The thing about getting axel or doubles as an adult is that, unless you’re naturally talented at jumping, which it doesn’t seem that you are, since you only got a single sal skating for that long as as a kid (99% of people aren’t naturals), it requires spending a lot of time and money on private lessons in order to get it. Not saying you physically couldn’t do it, but just something to think about, a lot of adult skaters who are also in great shape joke about spending 10k-20k over a period of a few years just to get that one jump.

Haha, I wish it were as simple as it just took me 8 years for a single sal. [deleted personal information]

So, whether or not I'm naturally talented at jumping remains to be seen. I'm certainly no Johnny Weir, but I think I do have at least above-average natural jumping talent. Regardless, do combination single jumps sound attainable?

jf12

Final Flight
Thank you! That's good to know. I actually worked on core strength a lot recently, so I already know a lot of exercises.

So, whether or not I'm naturally talented at jumping remains to be seen. I'm certainly no Johnny Weir, but I think I do have at least above-average natural jumping talent. Regardless, do combination single jumps sound attainable?

Yes, combination singles are definitely attainable, and probably pretty easily/quickly too. I didn’t mean to imply you couldn’t get the axel or more. It’s my opinion that even though most adults never get the axel, any fit adult could potentially do one. It just takes a big investment in time and money that might not be a priority. You can deal with that when you get to that point!

Last edited by a moderator:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Yes, combination singles are definitely attainable, and probably pretty easily/quickly too. I didn’t mean to imply you couldn’t get the axel or more. It’s my opinion that even though most adults never get the axel, any fit adult could potentially do one. It just takes a big investment in time and money that might not be a priority. You can deal with that when you get to that point!

Ah, okay, thank you. Other than core strength, can you recommend anything else? What about spins? I was abysmal at those,
[deleted personal information]

Mussique

On the Ice
Convos are definitely something you can look forward to, since toe loops are one of the easiest jumps and doing them in combination isn't that hard either. Now a Lutz+toe or loop combinations are more difficult, but who knows :)
Off ice, activities like pilates or ballet will help you with flexibility and posture. Work also with your balance —bosu balls and stuff. Planks for days and tons of jumping rope!

Annelegato

Rinkside
hey! salchow is really a weird jump! i still have a really weird single sal! i hate to do it if its not a double sal! its totally ok!!!

vlaurend

Final Flight
You sound just like me! When I was 10-12 years old I skated recreationally and learned crossovers, a waltz jump and a bunny hop. At age 27, I decided to finally take lessons and I started in a group learn-to-skate class. Skating twice a week on public sessions--with one of those times including a group lesson--I learned all of the single jumps through lutz in just a year or two. Spins were harder for me and I really didn't get a decent sit spin or camel spin until I started private lessons. It also took private lessons to get me an axel and double salchow, which took another several years. If you are already pretty strong and not overweight, I think you will develop the specific strength and balance you need by practicing the skills on the ice as you learn them.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
You sound just like me! When I was 10-12 years old I skated recreationally and learned crossovers, a waltz jump and a bunny hop. At age 27, I decided to finally take lessons and I started in a group learn-to-skate class. Skating twice a week on public sessions--with one of those times including a group lesson--I learned all of the single jumps through lutz in just a year or two. Spins were harder for me and I really didn't get a decent sit spin or camel spin until I started private lessons. It also took private lessons to get me an axel and double salchow, which took another several years. If you are already pretty strong and not overweight, I think you will develop the specific strength and balance you need by practicing the skills on the ice as you learn them.

Wow, that's great! Congratulations on all that progress, and thanks for sharing!

So, you don't think I'll need any off-ice training for strength and balance? I can lift more than I weigh, and I'm far from overweight. Can you recommend anything for flexibility?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow, that's great! Congratulations on all that progress, and thanks for sharing!

So, you don't think I'll need any off-ice training for strength and balance? I can lift more than I weigh, and I'm far from overweight. Can you recommend anything for flexibility?

pilates, yoga, barre, other core strengthening exercises.

Mussique

On the Ice
Also for flexibility consistence is the key. Try stretching 20min/day 4-5 days a week and you'll see a difference in no time. Keep a routine and clear objectives about the muscle groups you want to stretch (it'll be different if you want to get splits or if you want to get a Biellmann, for example). Be safe while stretching, always! It should never hurt or you may pull a muscle! And be very careful if you're stretching your back.

I've started stretching comparatively "late" in life (aka this year, and I'm 22) and I've managed quite a few goals parting from being completely non-flexible, so it's completely possible. It just requires patience.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I finally got back on the ice, and I got reasonably close to my former level within the hour. I'll probably go for private lessons, given the gaps in my skills. (My waltz jumps, spirals, and spins are better than ever, but I can't do all of the three-turns yet.)

I can get into the proper foot positions for spread eagles and Ina Bauers on land, but not even close on the ice. Any tips for that?

Also, I definitely need new skates. Mine are older than most of the people in the group lessons and have zero ankle support. Should I get entirely new ones, or keep my blades and just get new boots? Which would you recommend? I'd prefer something around $150 or below, but given that I hope to eventually do double jumps and sit-spins, I know that might not be plausible.

Mussique

On the Ice
I can get into the proper foot positions for spread eagles and Ina Bauers on land, but not even close on the ice. Any tips for that?

Yes; on ice it's definitely different. It not only requires the hip flexibility you'd need off the ice but also a lot of control on where you put your weight on the skate and between the leg, to avoid turning instead of keeping the position.
At first it'll be little more than a "extended mohawk", so to speak, and probably too curved. You'll need to get the hang of keeping your weight between your legs and really getting into the heel of the boot.
For outside eagles, practice the position in the boards first (really focusing on having your feet at 180º or more) and try getting into them backwards (to keep your good hip-opener direction). At first it'll be easier to keep your knees bent and then presiding you'll be able to straighten your body and knees by leaning to the edge (it can feel scary!)

A inside Ina Bauer is easy if you can maintain the inside eagle —just go to a lounge posture, bending the knee of the direction you're going in and keeping the other one straight. I'm still unable to do outside Ina bauers so I'll keep a watch for more advice in this thread :p

Also, I definitely need new skates. Mine are older than most of the people in the group lessons and have zero ankle support. Should I get entirely new ones, or keep my blades and just get new boots? Which would you recommend? I'd prefer something around $150 or below, but given that I hope to eventually do double jumps and sit-spins, I know that might not be plausible.

What blade are you using?

jf12

Final Flight
I finally got back on the ice, and I got reasonably close to my former level within the hour. I'll probably go for private lessons, given the gaps in my skills. (My waltz jumps, spirals, and spins are better than ever, but I can't do all of the three-turns yet.)

If it was that easy as just flexibility then everyone who could do a spread eagle one direction could do it in the other direction too!! The way I gradually built up my outside spread eagle is to start from a really deep edge. For me, back outside is easier to really deepen, so I started with that. then open your 'free' hip and place it on the ice in an outside edge as well. If you do it correctly, the deep edge in the ice is going to help hold your hips open, such that you can eventually enter it from almost any entry, and will feel easier than holding it on land.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Yes; on ice it's definitely different. It not only requires the hip flexibility you'd need off the ice but also a lot of control on where you put your weight on the skate and between the leg, to avoid turning instead of keeping the position.
At first it'll be little more than a "extended mohawk", so to speak, and probably too curved. You'll need to get the hang of keeping your weight between your legs and really getting into the heel of the boot.
For outside eagles, practice the position in the boards first (really focusing on having your feet at 180º or more) and try getting into them backwards (to keep your good hip-opener direction). At first it'll be easier to keep your knees bent and then presiding you'll be able to straighten your body and knees by leaning to the edge (it can feel scary!)

A inside Ina Bauer is easy if you can maintain the inside eagle —just go to a lounge posture, bending the knee of the direction you're going in and keeping the other one straight. I'm still unable to do outside Ina bauers so I'll keep a watch for more advice in this thread :p

What blade are you using?

Thank you! I will keep that in mind.

It doesn't say what kind of blade, just that it was made in Canada. Looking closer, it's in bad shape, so I guess I just need completely new skates.

vlaurend

Final Flight

Of course it would help to do balance exercises (Bosu ball, etc.), but a lot of the balancing required in figure skating is a matter of technique and specific body position that you need to be taught on the ice. For example, in general, you need to keep your chest over your knees over your toes as your basic skating posture. Also, in order to balance on the left foot, you need to shift your head to the left (but don't tilt it) so that your left ear is over your left shoulder and lift your right hip, preferably keeping your free leg and your shoulders/arms over the circle you're on. See what I mean?

For flexibility, there are a ton of stretches and I cannot list or describe all of them here, but I got forward splits in both directions for the first time in my life at age 42 because I spent a year doing hip flexor, quadriceps, hamstring and calf stretches that my physical therapist taught me. Correct form and holding each position for at least 30 seconds (use a stopwatch or count one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi. . .) is the most important thing. One stretch I remember working really well for me was the seated hamstring stretch. The important thing is to keep your back arched--never rounded--to focus on getting your belly down to your thigh, not your head down to your knee. When you can hold your belly, chest and face down flat on a perfectly straight leg and hold for 30 seconds, your hamstring is probably ready to work on splits.
Correct form: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55ce2916e4b0af9801e02423/t/55f1eb8de4b0d9d331c331fd/1441917859254/
Terrible form: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8blVgF3I1UscS3Zq3KzzETMBuCk3iDexWqzQAo3NDufELZEbXsg
Almost there! http://www.claudiafriedlander.com/.a/6a0133ec991857970b01538fdcbff1970b-pi
Ultimate goal: https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/FDIEKHOf10SL9xLqUW92FN0N22k/fit-in/550x550/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2013/09/24/734/n/1922729/765e29440056e29a_Head-to-Knee.jpg

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Of course it would help to do balance exercises (Bosu ball, etc.), but a lot of the balancing required in figure skating is a matter of technique and specific body position that you need to be taught on the ice. For example, in general, you need to keep your chest over your knees over your toes as your basic skating posture. Also, in order to balance on the left foot, you need to shift your head to the left (but don't tilt it) so that your left ear is over your left shoulder and lift your right hip, preferably keeping your free leg and your shoulders/arms over the circle you're on. See what I mean?

Yeah, as I was skating and trying to keep good posture, I was thinking that there's just no way to practice off the ice, because there's no way to replicate the exact forces and positions.

For flexibility, there are a ton of stretches and I cannot list or describe all of them here, but I got forward splits in both directions for the first time in my life at age 42 because I spent a year doing hip flexor, quadriceps, hamstring and calf stretches that my physical therapist taught me. Correct form and holding each position for at least 30 seconds (use a stopwatch or count one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi. . .) is the most important thing. One stretch I remember working really well for me was the seated hamstring stretch. The important thing is to keep your back arched--never rounded--to focus on getting your belly down to your thigh, not your head down to your knee. When you can hold your belly, chest and face down flat on a perfectly straight leg and hold for 30 seconds, your hamstring is probably ready to work on splits.
Correct form: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55ce2916e4b0af9801e02423/t/55f1eb8de4b0d9d331c331fd/1441917859254/
Terrible form: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8blVgF3I1UscS3Zq3KzzETMBuCk3iDexWqzQAo3NDufELZEbXsg
Almost there! http://www.claudiafriedlander.com/.a/6a0133ec991857970b01538fdcbff1970b-pi
Ultimate goal: https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/FDIEKHOf10SL9xLqUW92FN0N22k/fit-in/550x550/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2013/09/24/734/n/1922729/765e29440056e29a_Head-to-Knee.jpg

Yeah, I've been working on trying to do splits, but I have a long way to go. Sitting in a chair, I can get my stomach on my thighs and my chest on my knees no problem. Actually, I can go beyond that and get my stomach and chest flat on the chair between my legs. Sitting cross-legged, I can do that plus get my chin to the ground. Both of those, I could probably hold for way more than 30 seconds. But with my legs straight, I can't even do the incorrect head-to-knee thing! When we used to do that "sit and reach" thing in gym class fitness tests, they didn't even have a percentile low enough for my score. Any idea what that's about and how to fix it?