Timing on a flying camel spin | Golden Skate

Timing on a flying camel spin

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Thank you in advance for any tips or advice!

I recently started working on a flying camel with my coach. The biggest problem I have with it right now is waiting too long to jump- it ends ups looking more like a salchow. Does anyone have any tips for thinking about the timing- I feel like I delay too long, but then if I try to correct that I rush. I also tend to let the free leg bend too much. It feels like there is a sweet spot I have yet to find.

Thank you!

jf12

Final Flight
Maybe think about kicking your second leg higher and straight? It might help with timing as well. Do walk throughs at the boards right before you try.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Try keeping your upper body parallel to the ice. The flying salchow is often accompanied by standing upright at the point you should be jumping. If you keep the body down, a flying salchow becomes impossible to do.

vlaurend

Final Flight
It's not just timing that is turning your takeoff edge into a salchow; it's also probably your body position. You need to really keep your right shoulder pulled back before, during and after takeoff. Also don't let your right leg (landing leg) come forward. It should be extended way behind you on the takeoff edge, then reach out to the side in the air, but still behind the right shoulder. Then snap into a very tight, level "T" position instantly when youe landing toepick contacts the ice.

Having said that, it's also true that the takeoff edge of the flying camel is about 1/3 shorter than the entrance edge for the forward camel. For my forwardcamel (using a RFI 3-turn setup before stepping down onto the LFO entrance edge), my timing is "forward-and-backward-and-PLANT, PUSH-CHEST-INTO-CIRCLE". For my flying camel (from the same RFI 3-turn setup), my timing is "forward-and-backward-and-CURL-TIGHT-TOE-TOE!" where the first "TOE!" is the takeoff and the second "TOE!" is the landing.