Ina Bauer | Golden Skate

Ina Bauer

sk8chis

On the Ice
The Ina Bauer is one element i would love to add into my skating repertoire, like so bad. My biggest struggle is keeping the back leg parallel to the other. i don’t know if it’s weight distribution or what but it’s so hard. can someone please explain in detail what are common errors most people do and other tips that might be helpful in learning the ina bauer? whether it’s off-ice stretches, or even isolated strength-based exercises to help? i can do a inside spread eagle just fine so i know my hips have some form of turnout but i am willing to work more on it, i just feel like i don’t know what direction to go in order to do so. and there are almost no tutorials online for the bauer either. quite confusing.

but i appreciate any and all advice :))

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
What a great question, I'd like to see the suggestions as well.

I can do the position off ice, but not very well on ice. I was told by a skater at my rink to bring the back leg further out from the body and not try to keep it like a close 4th position in ballet. I found a tiny improvement keeping that in mind as well as going very low to the ground (or at least feels low), but I am so far from being able to hold it across the entire rink - that's my goal!

Can't wait to hear the responses!

Vicki7

On the Ice
I'll add, some people just physically can't do them. I am one of them - my hip structure just isn't compatible with that position. Ditto decent spread eagles. Tiny inside spread eagle? Fine. Straight line or outside? Nope, not happening for me, no matter how much I stretch.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I'll add, some people just physically can't do them. I am one of them - my hip structure just isn't compatible with that position. Ditto decent spread eagles. Tiny inside spread eagle? Fine. Straight line or outside? Nope, not happening for me, no matter how much I stretch.
I am the same--very tight hips--I have gotten to the point where my spirals are good, but forcing turnout for me is a knee injury waiting to happen. I have a nice lunge, though, LOL!

sk8chis

On the Ice
my inside one can be pretty big easily depending on the direction but the straight line or the outside is harder. i can get the outside position but i feel like i can’t hold it at all or it tends to curve 😭😭 how would you know if your hip structure isn’t compatible?

sk8chis

On the Ice
I am the same--very tight hips--I have gotten to the point where my spirals are good, but forcing turnout for me is a knee injury waiting to happen. I have a nice lunge, though, LOL!
i find i feel it more on my ankle. is that odd? i did also injure my left ankle and i have hardware on it. so i’m not sure if that affects it. i have super tight hip flexors but that’s cause i’m a chronic non-stretcher 😅 it only really affects extreme flexibility positions like i could still pop into a split if i warmed up enough

Vicki7

On the Ice
my inside one can be pretty big easily depending on the direction but the straight line or the outside is harder. i can get the outside position but i feel like i can’t hold it at all or it tends to curve 😭😭 how would you know if your hip structure isn’t compatible
With me it was easy for my coach to tell - I have pronation and although my skates correct it at the ankles, my hips and knees naturally fall inwards so even attempting the position for an Ina Bauer on the boards was tricky and coach wasn't happy with the strain it was putting on my knees so we didn't take it further.

My coach also has different issues but a similar outcome - he gets others to demonstrate things like straight line and outside spread eagles. When I was struggling with lunges (getting knee onto the ice) it was actually really helpful as he reassured me it WAS possible but that it'd take some work - as he'd been there! When I lunge I start on the inside of my boot, then once I'm past a certain point, my hip rolls in and I drag the toe of my boot on the ice if I want to get my knee down onto the ice (there's a point where the toe pick isn't an issue doing this, I can't explain it well in writing!)