BI edge push | Golden Skate

BI edge push

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’m having a heck of a time getting the hang of pushing onto a backward inside edge. I know it’s infamously the hardest push in skating, so trying to have a little patience with myself - but it’s starting to hold me back a bit (I’m in USFSA Freeskate 2, and need BI3s and consecutive back edges to pass).

My group instructor says I’m doing it more or less correctly, and just need a bit more power and to really get comfortable leaning/sitting back onto the edge once it gets going - but I feel like if I try to really attack it, I throw myself off balance and either drag my toe or wobble off the edge, and if I try to tone it down and keep it more controlled, I don’t get enough speed to hold and finish the edge.

Yet, if I take a few forward crossovers into a C-step, not only can I hold the edge nicely, I can even manage a pretty decent BI3! Problem is - this doesn’t really help me on the consecutive edges, and as I would really like to take my Pre-Bronze moves in the not-too-distant future, I think I really need to get the BI push down.

Does anyone have any tips or exercises to help with power and control on the push?

Thanks a million! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m having a heck of a time getting the hang of pushing onto a backward inside edge. I know it’s infamously the hardest push in skating, so trying to have a little patience with myself - but it’s starting to hold me back a bit (I’m in USFSA Freeskate 2, and need BI3s and consecutive back edges to pass).

My group instructor says I’m doing it more or less correctly, and just need a bit more power and to really get comfortable leaning/sitting back onto the edge once it gets going - but I feel like if I try to really attack it, I throw myself off balance and either drag my toe or wobble off the edge, and if I try to tone it down and keep it more controlled, I don’t get enough speed to hold and finish the edge.

Yet, if I take a few forward crossovers into a C-step, not only can I hold the edge nicely, I can even manage a pretty decent BI3! Problem is - this doesn’t really help me on the consecutive edges, and as I would really like to take my Pre-Bronze moves in the not-too-distant future, I think I really need to get the BI push down.

Does anyone have any tips or exercises to help with power and control on the push?

Thanks a million! :)
I'm going to DM you with something that may help you! ;) That is, if I understand what you are asking correctly. If not, I have other options. :)