Are my boots too big (beginner)? Does anyone have any advice? | Golden Skate

Are my boots too big (beginner)? Does anyone have any advice?

filizanka

Rinkside
Hello, I tried to find a forum on the internet about skating and this one came up. I saw that people ask a lot similar questions, so I hope I don’t bother everyone too much on this forum.

I am 173 cm and 50 kg. I never skated before but always wanted, so now that I am 21 I finally can do it. I went to a fitter to get my skates. He told me I should get Edea but I didn’t really want them since they cost so much, so I asked about maybe another brand. He measured my foot and brought one model of Jackson (I don’t know which one) and one model of Edea Tempo. I tried on Jackson skates and they seemed too tight, it was pretty uncomfortable and my toes were bent in them. Then I tried Edea Tempo, and they seemed comfortable. He asked me if I can touch the front of the boot with my toes, and I told him that I can’t. I asked him how should my boots feel, and he told me that they should feel comfortable and that Jackson are too wide and Edea suit me better. So i bought them.

I don’t have a coach yet, because I wanted to teach myself how to skate (just the basics. I don’t plan on becoming self taught, I know it’s dangerous). It’s been weeks, and I can succesfully do swizzles and go forward, backward and do slaloms and T-stop.

But, whenever I go forward, and lift my leg after pushing myself forward, I feel my heel going up in my skate. It’s really uncomfortable, because I feel it moving back to it’s place when I put my leg down and I worry that one time it won’t and I will break my ankle (not sure if it’s realistic fear). I try also to do one foot glides but I can’t do it at all. I trained balance on various balance boards for weeks, at least an hour every day and now I don’t move at all. I think I could stand the whole week on the board without moving, yet I don’t improve at all when skating. Still can’t lift my leg for even a second. I also pronate in my left leg, which I assume is smaller than my right, since the skate feels more loose, and I don’t pronate in any other shoe or without shoes.

I apologize both for how long this post is (I didn’t notice until I finished writing) and for my English. Hopefully it’s understandable. If anyone read this, thank you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, I tried to find a forum on the internet about skating and this one came up. I saw that people ask a lot similar questions, so I hope I don’t bother everyone too much on this forum.

I am 173 cm and 50 kg. I never skated before but always wanted, so now that I am 21 I finally can do it. I went to a fitter to get my skates. He told me I should get Edea but I didn’t really want them since they cost so much, so I asked about maybe another brand. He measured my foot and brought one model of Jackson (I don’t know which one) and one model of Edea Tempo. I tried on Jackson skates and they seemed too tight, it was pretty uncomfortable and my toes were bent in them. Then I tried Edea Tempo, and they seemed comfortable. He asked me if I can touch the front of the boot with my toes, and I told him that I can’t. I asked him how should my boots feel, and he told me that they should feel comfortable and that Jackson are too wide and Edea suit me better. So i bought them.

I don’t have a coach yet, because I wanted to teach myself how to skate (just the basics. I don’t plan on becoming self taught, I know it’s dangerous). It’s been weeks, and I can succesfully do swizzles and go forward, backward and do slaloms and T-stop.

But, whenever I go forward, and lift my leg after pushing myself forward, I feel my heel going up in my skate. It’s really uncomfortable, because I feel it moving back to it’s place when I put my leg down and I worry that one time it won’t and I will break my ankle (not sure if it’s realistic fear). I try also to do one foot glides but I can’t do it at all. I trained balance on various balance boards for weeks, at least an hour every day and now I don’t move at all. I think I could stand the whole week on the board without moving, yet I don’t improve at all when skating. Still can’t lift my leg for even a second. I also pronate in my left leg, which I assume is smaller than my right, since the skate feels more loose, and I don’t pronate in any other shoe or without shoes.

I apologize both for how long this post is (I didn’t notice until I finished writing) and for my English. Hopefully it’s understandable. If anyone read this, thank you.
Hi and welcome. Edea are looser in the ankles than other boot brands. Also, it's common to have a more narrow heel than toebox.

You need to see a reputable fitter and they will measure and trace your foot to see what brand really fits you.

In the meantime we can start to help you here: Where are you in the world so we can suggest a reputable fitter, What is your foot shape (look this up), arches-v.high/high/reg/low/flat?

Good luck!

filizanka

Rinkside
Hi and welcome. Edea are looser in the ankles than other boot brands. Also, it's common to have a more narrow heel than toebox.

You need to see a reputable fitter and they will measure and trace your foot to see what brand really fits you.

In the meantime we can start to help you here: Where are you in the world so we can suggest a reputable fitter, What is your foot shape (look this up), arches-v.high/high/reg/low/flat?

Good luck!
Thank you for taking your time to respond! I’m currently in northern Poland. I searched and I have egyptian foot shape and high arches.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
The heel is coming up inside the skate when you lift your leg, did the place where you bought the Edeas taught you how to tie them properly? Many problems with Edeas are solved by the skates being tied properly.

Here is a video from Edea about how to tie their skates

Here is a video from @Coach Aimee about how to tie Edea skates

filizanka

Rinkside
The heel is coming up inside the skate when you lift your leg, did the place where you bought the Edeas taught you how to tie them properly? Many problems with Edeas are solved by the skates being tied properly.

Here is a video from Edea about how to tie their skates

Here is a video from @Coach Aimee about how to tie Edea skates

Thank you for response! Sadly, as much as I wish my issues are caused by tying them incorrectly (since it would be an easy fix), I watched multiple tutorials, including the ones you provided and I am tying them correctly.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
About not being able to do one foot glides, one guess (this is just one more of so many reasons you must hire a coach ASAP. He/she can see you in person, correct you and teach you proper technique since the beginning. Big mistake thinking you can teach yourself proper basic technique) is that .... did the guy where you bought the skates attached your blades in a proper way to go with your feet? As in, he had you walking with the skates/blades on, observed you, made you bend your knees to see if the blades are aligned properly. Misaligned blades can throw you off of being able to make straight foot glides. The coach could tell you by seeing you if your blades are maybe misaligned.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Thank you for response! Sadly, as much as I wish my issues are caused by tying them incorrectly (since it would be an easy fix), I watched multiple tutorials, including the ones you provided and I am tying them correctly.
So if it were me, I would go back there where you bought them and tell this to the guy, you are tying them properly, still heel is coming up, out of place (not normal). And have him check the blades placement/alignment.

filizanka

Rinkside
About not being able to do one foot glides, one guess (this is just one more of so many reasons you must hire a coach ASAP. He/she can see you in person, correct you and teach you proper technique since the beginning. Big mistake thinking you can teach yourself proper basic technique) is that .... did the guy where you bought the skates attached your blades in a proper way to go with your feet? As in, he had you walking with the skates/blades on, observed you, made you bend your knees to see if the blades are aligned properly. Misaligned blades can throw you off of being able to make straight foot glides. The coach could tell you by seeing you if your blades are maybe misaligned.
Thank you, I thought that you should know basic skating before getting a coach. I will definitely look for one, although I’m not sure if I will be able to find someone that speaks English (I was hoping I would have a bit more time to learn Polish before I would need a coach…)

About the blades — when I bought them, they were already on my skates. The fitter didn’t check if they are properly aligned, and I had no idea that it was a possibility.

filizanka

Rinkside
So if it were me, I would go back there where you bought them and tell this to the guy, you are tying them properly, still heel is coming up, out of place (not normal). And have him check the blades placement/alignment.
Thank you, I will try to go next week then. Hopefully he will be able to help.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Thank you, I thought that you should know basic skating before getting a coach. I will definitely look for one, although I’m not sure if I will be able to find someone that speaks English (I was hoping I would have a bit more time to learn Polish before I would need a coach…)

About the blades — when I bought them, they were already on my skates. The fitter didn’t check if they are properly aligned, and I had no idea that it was a possibility.
I'm also adult skater (started skating from adult age). I started from zero with a private coach. Other adult skaters I know started also with a private coach or they started with group lessons ( cheaper, 1 coach for several skaters), or group lesson + private coach. Basic skating skills and technique is the foundation for all other skills in one's skating life. It's important to receive proper guidance from zero and develop a strong foundation = strong basic skating skills. Each skater develops and progresses differently, but developing strong basic technique takes time and it's a time you waste by being by yourself, maybe developing bad habits that later are VERY difficult to correct, much, much more difficult than start the skill from zero.

Elija

On the Ice
In addition to the other suggestions, pull the insole out and see where your toes reach to (there should be foot marks on the insole). If there’re more than 4-5mm from the end of the boot, they’re too big and that will cause the heels to slip. It’s super common with first skates to end up with them too big.

filizanka

Rinkside
In addition to the other suggestions, pull the insole out and see where your toes reach to (there should be foot marks on the insole). If there’re more than 4-5mm from the end of the boot, they’re too big and that will cause the heels to slip. It’s super common with first skates to end up with them too big.
Thank you, but I have no foot marks on the insole, for some reason? I don’t know why.

filizanka

Rinkside
I'm also adult skater (started skating from adult age). I started from zero with a private coach. Other adult skaters I know started also with a private coach or they started with group lessons ( cheaper, 1 coach for several skaters), or group lesson + private coach. Basic skating skills and technique is the foundation for all other skills in one's skating life. It's important to receive proper guidance from zero and develop a strong foundation = strong basic skating skills. Each skater develops and progresses differently, but developing strong basic technique takes time and it's a time you waste by being by yourself, maybe developing bad habits that later are VERY difficult to correct, much, much more difficult than start the skill from zero.
Thank you for telling me this, hopefully I don’t have any really bad habits yet, I will look for a coach.

Elija

On the Ice
Thank you, but I have no foot marks on the insole, for some reason? I don’t know why.
Oh weird! Maybe try pull the insole out and stand with your heel right at the back and check how much room is in from of your toes.

filizanka

Rinkside
Oh weird! Maybe try pull the insole out and stand with your heel right at the back and check how much room is in from of your toes.
Thank you, I’ve measured it by standing on my insole, and it seems to be 2 cm too long. Which, I assume based on what you wrote earlier, is a lot… Can I try to stuff something in the front of the boot, or I should stop skating at all till I will be able to get new skates?

silverlily1

On the Ice
Thank you, I’ve measured it by standing on my insole, and it seems to be 2 cm too long. Which, I assume based on what you wrote earlier, is a lot… Can I try to stuff something in the front of the boot, or I should stop skating at all till I will be able to get new skates?
I had boots that were the right size but the wrong width. There was nothing to be done but buy new boots. Every increase in size is also an increase in overall boot size, including width. If the boots are that long on you, they're probably too big all over. That's not something you'll be able to fix.

Elija

On the Ice
Thank you, I’ve measured it by standing on my insole, and it seems to be 2 cm too long. Which, I assume based on what you wrote earlier, is a lot… Can I try to stuff something in the front of the boot, or I should stop skating at all till I will be able to get new skate
Yes 2cm too long is huge! 5mm for an adult is the max. Yours are like three sizes bigger than you probably need - this happens a lot with first skates as people don’t know just how fitted they should be and how they should feel. I would take them back to the shop and see what they say, it sounds like they didn’t measure your foot properly.

Just as a side note, I have worn edeas for years and my toes always touch the end of the boot until they’re laced. Once I lace them and lock my heel back, my toes no longer touch the end. Hopefully that gives you an idea of how they should fit.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Just as a side note, I have worn edeas for years and my toes always touch the end of the boot until they’re laced. Once I lace them and lock my heel back, my toes no longer touch the end. Hopefully that gives you an idea of how they should fit.
Very same for me

When I put my Edeas on, my toes do touch the end of the boot, but before tying them, I grab the boot by the heel (above the blade), wiggle it a little to position my heel inside the boot in the perfect position, hit the tail of the blade a little on the floor with my foot inside the boot(blades have blades cover, of course, and they have a rubber floor all over the rink) , then proceed to start tying them and then I don't feel my toes touching the end of the boot.