Are my boots too big? | Golden Skate

Are my boots too big?

Noki

Spectator
Hello!

I think my boots might be too big (I've been skating for two years, started in beginner Jacksons and now in Edea)
I was fitted at a figure skating pro shop, they measured the length of my feet and put me in a size 8 jackson, now I'm in a size 265 Edea, blade size 10 for both. My shoe size is EU40 and foot length about 250mm from big toe to heel. I can feel my toes curling and gripping in my boots sometimes when I skate, and spins have always been difficult for me.
When I look at the insoles of both my old jacksons and current edeas, the gap between my big toe and the top of the insole is around 1cm, there's a photo attached (it's a Flickr link, hope it works!)
I need new blades soon and I need to know whether I should get smaller boots (meaning smaller blades as well!)

Last edited:

silverlily1

On the Ice
I can't be sure, but it looks like you're not all the way back in the boot, either, which would make that front gap even bigger.

If the boot is the wrong shape for your foot, you could find yourself needing a larger size than you would otherwise wear due to trying to create extra room where the boot doesn't have it.

Post your height/weight/skill level/foot shape/arch height/foot width and I'm sure a more experienced person can suggest some boots for you as a start, and then yes, you will probably need a smaller size based on your "grabbing with the toes" comment alone, in addition to that extra space.

Noki

Spectator
I can't be sure, but it looks like you're not all the way back in the boot, either, which would make that front gap even bigger.

If the boot is the wrong shape for your foot, you could find yourself needing a larger size than you would otherwise wear due to trying to create extra room where the boot doesn't have it.

Post your height/weight/skill level/foot shape/arch height/foot width and I'm sure a more experienced person can suggest some boots for you as a start, and then yes, you will probably need a smaller size based on your "grabbing with the toes" comment alone, in addition to that extra space.
Allright!
I'm a 19yo girl with strong knees and ankles from a sport I did for 10 years which included lots of jumping
165cm, 60kg
working on double flip (I have my axel, double salchow, toeloop and loop, I have very big jumps as well)
egyptian foot, very low arches, wider forefoot and narrow-ish heel

ps. I have just gone with what the fitter recommended so I don't know a lot about different brands and what would fit me best :/ I really appreciate people here taking their time to help me

silverlily1

On the Ice
I hope one of the usuals comes along soon to offer boot advice, but I just wanted to note that in the Edea insole it looks like the widest part of your foot doesn't match up to the widest part of the boot. It's much closer in the Jackson. But a different size could change that alignment.

It's also possible the Edea boot is just too roomy in height for your low arch feet (but I'm seeing a lot of people with flat feet seem to wear Edea?) and/or you have the wrong width. I know Jacksons have a wider top box and narrower heel, and can be ordered in split widths.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hello!

I think my boots might be too big (I've been skating for two years, started in beginner Jacksons and now in Edea)
I was fitted at a figure skating pro shop, they measured the length of my feet and put me in a size 8 jackson, now I'm in a size 265 Edea, blade size 10 for both. My shoe size is EU40 and foot length about 250mm from big toe to heel. I can feel my toes curling and gripping in my boots sometimes when I skate, and spins have always been difficult for me.
When I look at the insoles of both my old jacksons and current edeas, the gap between my big toe and the top of the insole is around 1cm, there's a photo attached (it's a Flickr link, hope it works!)
I need new blades soon and I need to know whether I should get smaller boots (meaning smaller blades as well!)

I didn't get any link or picture showing up on my computer, so I can't give any sort of definitive help. But your boots should fit snugly with no room for your foot to slide around or curl up. Just from that I'd say you probably need a smaller size. And if the fitter only measured the length of your foot and not its dimensions all around the ball of the foot, instep, heel, ankle, etc etc etc, then you also need a different fitter! Skate boots have to fit all around your foot and ankle, not just in length like street shoes.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Be aware that boot brands do not fit universally. So if you are a particular size in a Jackson you won't fit an Edea same size. Also, if your foot style was meant for say Jackson, you should be nowhere near an Edea.

Chillisa

Spectator
Hi, YES, both of those boots are too big on you. You are absolutely swimming in those Edeas! For reference, I wear a US shoe size 9. I think that’s a 39.5 or 40 Euro street shoe? My feet are 255mm (left) and 258mm (right.) I currently skate in Risport Royal Pro size 260 C width and I love them. I was skating in Edea Ice Flys in size 260 C but I mostly teach now (so less moving, more standing) and they were killing my feet. IMO, Edea is just a wee bit shorter and narrower than the same size Risports, but Risports have an even narrower heal. Perhaps not every size, but Edea uses the same size sole/last for every 2 sizes with .5cm extra material around the last for the bigger (even number) size. so the Edea 260 boot is made on the size 255 last, which is 254mm, with an extra 5mm material added, bringing it to 259mm. The 265 last’s sole is 267mm so there’s a big difference between 260 and 265. That said, with your 250mm foot, Edea size 255 would probably be your size.

I’ve tried most brands of skates since returning to the sport as an adult 4 years ago. For additional reverence, my Jackson size is 9A, and I wore 7.5 Riedell.

Lastly, according to your insoles, you don’t have low arches, unless that white space is caused by you scrunching your toes up, thus lifting the middle of your feet. It does look like you’re pronating, though. Either way, I HIGHLY suggest Superfeet Carbon Hockey PRO (not comfort!) insoles when you get your new skates.

Try on both the Edeas in both 250 and 255. Does your pro shop carry recent model Risports? (The older ones fit differently, IMO) If so, try those on too. If not, if the Edeas feel pretty close length-wise, but maybe a wee bit too tight at the ball, ask them to order the same size Risport, rather than going up an entire size in Edea.

PS- congrats on your progress!

Noki

Spectator
Hi, YES, both of those boots are too big on you. You are absolutely swimming in those Edeas! For reference, I wear a US shoe size 9. I think that’s a 39.5 or 40 Euro street shoe? My feet are 255mm (left) and 258mm (right.) I currently skate in Risport Royal Pro size 260 C width and I love them. I was skating in Edea Ice Flys in size 260 C but I mostly teach now (so less moving, more standing) and they were killing my feet. IMO, Edea is just a wee bit shorter and narrower than the same size Risports, but Risports have an even narrower heal. Perhaps not every size, but Edea uses the same size sole/last for every 2 sizes with .5cm extra material around the last for the bigger (even number) size. so the Edea 260 boot is made on the size 255 last, which is 254mm, with an extra 5mm material added, bringing it to 259mm. The 265 last’s sole is 267mm so there’s a big difference between 260 and 265. That said, with your 250mm foot, Edea size 255 would probably be your size.

I’ve tried most brands of skates since returning to the sport as an adult 4 years ago. For additional reverence, my Jackson size is 9A, and I wore 7.5 Riedell.

Lastly, according to your insoles, you don’t have low arches, unless that white space is caused by you scrunching your toes up, thus lifting the middle of your feet. It does look like you’re pronating, though. Either way, I HIGHLY suggest Superfeet Carbon Hockey PRO (not comfort!) insoles when you get your new skates.

Try on both the Edeas in both 250 and 255. Does your pro shop carry recent model Risports? (The older ones fit differently, IMO) If so, try those on too. If not, if the Edeas feel pretty close length-wise, but maybe a wee bit too tight at the ball, ask them to order the same size Risport, rather than going up an entire size in Edea.

PS- congrats on your progress!
Thank you so much for your advice!! I really am swimming in these Edeas lol... and I have indeed been scrunching my toes, I really do have low arches, almost flat :p there is fortunately quite a good stock of Risport boots in my country, and I have been looking at the Royal line boots, because I do need more width around my foot (not my heel though, so the narrower heel sounds great! The D-width Edea doesn't lock my heel, though that can also be because of the size of the boot)
In my other post that I wrote a few days ago about choosing boots, I was told that Edea or Graf would be better for my Egyptian shaped toes, but Graf isn't available and Edeas need to be stretched out quite a lot to accommodate my wider forefoot. So I really hope I could go with Risports. I do love the feel and material of Edea (I have Ice Fly) so the Royal line sounds nice, with the similar materials and ankle fit.