Can twisted boots be fixed? | Golden Skate

Can twisted boots be fixed?

atliens00

Spectator
Hi All,

I recently needed to change boot size and since boots are pricey, I purchased a used pair of boots with blade and discovered that the right boot is visibly twisted when the blade is off. If the heel is completely flat on the surface, the toe box loses contact and vice versa, about 1/4 inch. The blade had a very thin shim in it that I removed thinking it was for pronation from the previous user. If remounting a different blade did not correct the twist, is there any correcting the twist? Time for new boots?

Me: I'm a dude, I'm 40, and this is year 2 for me. I'm coming from a wrestler/lifting background and leaning out. I am 5'3" and down from 165 to 150. I'm Bronze and ready to start axel and doubles (if I can lift 150 that high in the air). Slow going when you have a full time job, right? I did a bit of Learn to Skate with rentals and then was fitted for the old set and I've been in until last month. I pronate but have yellow superfeet and wedges in and have had these checked and verified by a physical therapist/ortho. They are not the problem.

Old Set:
Edea Chorus 260C purchased new
Coronation Ace 9.75 also new

New/Used Set:
Edea Chorus 255C
Matrix Legacy 9.5

I sold the matrix blades online because the runner was beat up on both ends and I wasn't trying to buy new blades right now. The boots are not deformed other than the right boot being twisted. Obviously the previous owner was doing doubles. My coach is a fitter and put my longer CA blades on these boots and says they are not deformed after this step, but they are. Tired of feeling a perfect glide on the left and feeling like the right is a dirtbike on the sidewalk. I've actually developed a bit of hamstring tendonitis from trying to toe loop in these and not feeling the correct drag on the left foot. Edea list that the sizes are compatible although I somewhat feel like the blades are too long now that the boot is a bit smaller. Lost the ability to backspin as well.

We also weren't able to get the tip of the boot to seat flush with the blade, but I don't have pics of that right now.

Looking for ideas. Really don't need to drop a grand right now on more equipment.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I can help but you aren't going to like it. You say you really don't need to drop a grand on new equipment right now so let's take stock of what you've achieved by this purchase.

Do you feel that the new Edea boots are the correct size and model for you now? (Let's leave the twisted part out of the equation.)

If you feel that the new (to you) boots are too small, then pop your blades back on your old ones and write the twisted boots off. Nobody can safely wear those. Hopefully you made a bit of money back on the blades you sold.

If you do feel that the smaller boots are right and your old blades are too long, you need to suck up the purchase of new boots in the right size and blades to match.

Or you can decide to go back to your old set and live with the fact that you feel they're a bit bit until you're ready to buy new.

Whichever you choose, you need to dispose of the twisted boot and its unidentical twin because wearing them is unsafe. You already have an injury you feel is caused by the twisted boot, you don't need any more. I used to skate with an extremely promising skater. She really should have been national champion and moved onwards to much, much bigger medals and competitions. Instead, she put up with a twisted boot (fully custom) and sustained a stress fracture that wrote off her career. This was a lightly-built girl in her late teens. You don't want to think about the damage you could do to yourself by wearing those boots.

I honestly can't stress enough that those boots are dangerous.

There is a reason some of us really don't encourage the purchase of second-hand equipment. It's a minefield. And mines can do a lot of damage when you land on them.

atliens00

Spectator
I can help but you aren't going to like it. You say you really don't need to drop a grand on new equipment right now so let's take stock of what you've achieved by this purchase.

Do you feel that the new Edea boots are the correct size and model for you now? (Let's leave the twisted part out of the equation.)

If you feel that the new (to you) boots are too small, then pop your blades back on your old ones and write the twisted boots off. Nobody can safely wear those. Hopefully you made a bit of money back on the blades you sold.

If you do feel that the smaller boots are right and your old blades are too long, you need to suck up the purchase of new boots in the right size and blades to match.

Or you can decide to go back to your old set and live with the fact that you feel they're a bit bit until you're ready to buy new.

Whichever you choose, you need to dispose of the twisted boot and its unidentical twin because wearing them is unsafe. You already have an injury you feel is caused by the twisted boot, you don't need any more. I used to skate with an extremely promising skater. She really should have been national champion and moved onwards to much, much bigger medals and competitions. Instead, she put up with a twisted boot (fully custom) and sustained a stress fracture that wrote off her career. This was a lightly-built girl in her late teens. You don't want to think about the damage you could do to yourself by wearing those boots.

I honestly can't stress enough that those boots are dangerous.

There is a reason some of us really don't encourage the purchase of second-hand equipment. It's a minefield. And mines can do a lot of damage when you land on them.

Thank you for the input. I had worked this out in my head, but it is validating to hear someone else agree.

I sucked it up and purchased the correct 255/9.5 CA set online because the boots are the perfect fit. I always felt like the 9.75 blades were just too long, so I went for the right size.

I've not gotten fulfillment info yet so I am holding my breath that I will not fall victim to the production backlog.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you for the input. I had worked this out in my head, but it is validating to hear someone else agree.

I sucked it up and purchased the correct 255/9.5 CA set online because the boots are the perfect fit. I always felt like the 9.75 blades were just too long, so I went for the right size.

I've not gotten fulfillment info yet so I am holding my breath that I will not fall victim to the production backlog.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get them soon.