Adult beginner - need figure skates advice ASAP | Golden Skate

Adult beginner - need figure skates advice ASAP

SevAleyna

Spectator
I am currently looking to buy some skates as an adult beginner. Unfortunately my skate shop aren’t very knowledgable and kind of just want to sell their reduced gear.

I’m 5’9 and 75kg female. I want to take ice skating seriously but I understand I’m new and a beginner.

I was looking at:

1. Edea Overtures that come standard with the charme blade - which costs around £220
2. Edea Chorus boot plus John Wilson coronation blade - £488
3. Jackson freestyle with standard Aspire XP blade - £300
4. Cheapest option: Graf Bolero £100

I tried on Edea and they fit perfectly as I have narrow feet.

I don’t want to spend too little and then end up having to upgrade quickly anyway- which would be more money in the long run. But I also don’t want to buy a boot that is too advanced for me.

Does anybody have any advice on what I should do from experience?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
HI and welcome. What is your foot shape? I need to know this to assist you further. Also, where are you in the world so one of us can suggest a legit pro figure skating fitter.

I will tell you from the start here though, with your height and weight I will be suggesting a boot that's a bit stiffer than a regular beginner would wear.

SevAleyna

Spectator
Hi. I have a Greek shaped foot (well my big toe and next toe are similar heights) with a normal arch. I am in Kent, England!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi. I have a Greek shaped foot (well my big toe and next toe are similar heights) with a normal arch. I am in Kent, England!
@WednesdayMarch can help you with fitters in England.

As far as your foot: Risport would be your best shot. Try RF3 Pro and Royal Pro. Coronation Ace or MK Pro traditional style blades.

Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You need to visit Everglides (Gosport on the south coast) or possibly Love Ice Skating in Chelmsford where you should get fitted properly. I know Everglides well and have taken many skaters there. I have experience of Love Ice Skating's customer service (excellent) but haven't witnessed their fitting. I have never heard a bad report about them, though.

As a taller skater, you may want to look at a stiffer boot than normally suggested for beginners, although your skating strength should also be taken into consideration. It's really hard to advise over the internet! I'd say to rule out the Graf Bolero, though. I suspect Jacksons will be too wide for you. If Edea turn out to be your ideal fit, then Chorus would probably be your best bet, although if you're a more timid adult skater, you could potentially wear Overture, just be aware that you may break them down more quickly.

Blade-wise, you need to look at Coronation Ace or MK Professional in their tradition versions, NOT the lite ones. You could also consider Legacy 7, which have a slightly flatter spin rocker than Aces or Pros but are more easily available right now and are absolutely appropriate for beginners and improvers alike. Then move up to Aces (or Pros) when you next need equipment.

Honestly, skate fitting is a minefield and there is no subtitute for a proper in-person fitting with a professional who really knows their job.