Pairs/Ice Dancers that split then reformed their partnership | Golden Skate

Pairs/Ice Dancers that split then reformed their partnership

Giselle

Medalist
Anyone knows about teams that split but then reformed their partnership at some point in their career?

IIRC :

Ilinykh & Katsalapov : began skating together in ???, split up in 2005, teamed up again in 2008, split up again in 2014.

Aldridge & Eaton : began skating together in 2009, split up in 2015, teamed up again in 2017, split up again in 2018.

Lajoie & Lagha : began skating together in 2011, briefly split up in 2015, teamed up again a few months later in the summer of 2015.

Grishuk & Platov : began skating together in 1989, split up briefly in 1992 and teamed up again a few months later in fall of 1992.

Denney & Frazier : began skating together in 2002 (roller), split up in 2008, teamed up again in 2011.

Nirti

Medalist
The german sister/brother Christina Beier and William Beier skated together since a long time, then Christina skated with Tim Giesen during the seson 2008/2009 and finally with her brother again for one season.

I have in my mind that it happened to an other german dance team too, but who?

Weathergal

Medalist
The german sister/brother Christina Beier and William Beier skated together since a long time, then Christina skated with Tim Giesen during the seson 2008/2009 and finally with her brother again for one season.

I have in my mind that it happened to an other german dance team too, but who?

Kavita Lorenz / Joti Polizoakis. They got together in spring 2015 then ended their partnership in April 2016. They got back together in June 2016. I believe they've split again as of spring 2018.

Giselle

Medalist

I also remembered that Tobias & Tkachenko teamed up for awhile in 2008 but never competed together. He then chose to skate with Ekaterina Riazanova. They teamed up again in 2014 and then retired in 2017 after Ilia's unsuccessful application for Israeli citizenship.

In the same vein Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Sørensen had a tryout in 2012 but he chose to skate with Vanessa Crone. They teamed up after Vanessa decided to retire.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Peng Jin and Xiaoyu Yu

(Sorry that’s just my hopes and dreams talking)

fun fact: Peng and Jin did skate together early in their Novice/junior years and splited up and paired up later. Peng also tried out with Han in her early years.

Giselle

Medalist
Realized yesterday while watching the SD that Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN had split up in 2014 and re-teamed up in 2015!

What is it with German ice dance couples :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nikol Gosviani's husband and his Pairs partner are another example.

Giulia Foresti and Leo-Luca Sforza first formed their Pairs partnership at the start of the 2011–12 season. After 2 full seasons together, they split after their first competition of the 2013–14 season. They both re-appeared a few months later at the Italian Championships, with Giulia doing Pairs with Luca Demattè, and Leo-Luca doing Ice Dance with his older sister, Sofia (who had also split with her long-term partner, Francesco Fioretti, after their first competition of the season).

Foresti / Demattè only lasted until the end of that season, after which Giulia went back to Singles. The Sforza siblings stayed together until Sofia retired from competitive skating, during the 2015–16 season.

Giulia and Leo-Luca re-formed their Pairs partnership for the 2016–17 season. But, after two Junior GP's and a Senior B, they split again.

Giulia resurfaced at Nationals a few months later skating in Singles again, which is where she stayed for the rest of the season. She did not compete last season, but is back in Pairs this season, partnering Edoardo Caputo.

Leo-Luca has not competed since they split.

CaroLiza_fan

LandShark

Rinkside
What about Navka /Kostamarov? I could be wrong, but didn't they skate together in the 90's, split up, and then get back together ending up with Olympic gold in 2006?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
What about Navka /Kostamarov? I could be wrong, but didn't they skate together in the 90's, split up, and then get back together ending up with Olympic gold in 2006?

I thought that too.

- - - Updated - - -

From Wikipedia: "Navka then teamed up with Roman Kostomarov and began competing for Russia during the 1998–99 season. They were coached by Natalia Linichuk.[9] They won the bronze medal at the Russian Championships and were sent to the World Championships in their first season together, placing 12th. Linichuk then dissolved the team and paired Kostomarov with Anna Semenovich.[9] Navka became pregnant with her daughter and took a year off from competition.

In mid-2000, Kostomarov called Navka and asked to skate with her again.[1] They were coached by Alexander Zhulin in Hackensack and Montclair, New Jersey.[10][1][9] Navka/Kostomarov won the World title in 2004 and again in 2005. They also won three European titles from 2004–2006. They then won gold at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. At the age of 30 years and 313 days, she became one of the oldest female figure skating Olympic champions."

heyang

Record Breaker
from the past... technically got back together twice

Urbanski teamed up with Rocky Marval in 1990. They were coached by Ronald Ludington in Wilmington, Delaware.[3] The media dubbed the pair "The Waitress and the Truck Driver" because of their occupations.[2] In the 1991–92 season, Urbanski/Marval won gold at the 1991 Skate America and at the 1992 U.S. Championships. They were named in the U.S. team to the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France and finished tenth. Both developed chest colds at the event and waited a day for medication because the approved type had initially run out.[5] The pair placed seventh in the final event of the season, the 1992 World Championships.
In June 1992, Urbanski and Marval announced the end of their partnership.[6] Both arranged tryouts with other skaters — Urbanski with Scott Kurttila and Marval with Natasha Kuchiki — but the two decided to reunite in late July.[7] They competed together for one more season, winning bronze at the 1992 NHK Trophy and their second U.S. national title.
Urbanski then teamed up with Joseph Mero. After the pair finished seventh at the 1994 U.S. Championships, she reunited with Marval and turned professional, enjoying several successful years in the mid-1990s. She coached in Wilmington, Delaware[8] and then in Florida.[9]